Global Communities

Be The First To
Add Photos

David A. Weiss

Promotions not necessary

Support Officer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Global Communities full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInternational travel opportunity
Lower echelons: hard working, dedicated, intelligent group of people
Promoting positive change...for the most part

ConsLacks strong, sound leadership
Horrible inter-department communication and collaboration
Low morale, and mgmt could care less

Advice to Senior ManagementPut the same time and energy into your people as they put into your organization
A simple Thank You goes a long way...and don't wait until they leave to tell them

Disappointing!

I worked at Global Communities full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI met some really great people there, which, is the best way to survive in such a toxic environment. There was also the possibility to travel, if you are the type that wants to be on the go.

ConsManagement was terrible and created an unfriendly work atmosphere. Most would place blame on employees instead of working together to figure out a problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire responsible managers that can create a work environment that people thrive in and actually enjoy. Employees stay where they feel wanted.

Beltway Bandits

Program Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Global Communities full-time for more than a year

ProsField staff are incredible, people are wonderful, smart & caring.

ConsRife with internal politics, lack of vision for staff and their futures, absolutely no concern for actual impact apart from questionable donor reporting indicators, a white man's club.

Good for fresh graduates in need of getting experience on their resumes.

Program Officer (Current Employee)
Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Global Communities full-time for more than a year

ProsColleagues are mostly easy going and flexible (unlike management). There are many wonderful people, with diverse experiences and skill sets, both at headquarters and on the field

ConsOverworking junior level staff. Very low pay compared to other NGOs, resulting in frequent staff turnover. The management looks out only for themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to find ways to maintain staff retention and boost employee morale. It is no coincidence that the only people who've been there over two years are all VPs and directors.

Typical NGO

Support Officer (Former Employee)

I worked at Global Communities full-time for more than a year

ProsYou're a part of good work that benefits people around the globe. Non-profit, excellent benefits.

ConsCHF is over-reliant on CHF grants. When a project ends, so can one's employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just talk about and plan to increase private funding, make it happen. Also, don't keep your staff in the dark.

Disheartening to see how it's ended up.

I worked at Global Communities

ProsBenefits and salary are good, many of the people are good. However, executive favors those who are not contributing because they are flattered by the pandering. They overlook the friction, the lack of results, the waste of money.

ConsPolitics, lack of business ethics, favoritism,

Good

I have been working at Global Communities

ProsIt is nice to work in a non profit industry. It feelsl like you are making a difference in a positive way.

ConsVery little opportunity for verticle movement and career advancement. There can be some disrespect among departments--usually indicative of organization however.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that management is wisely seeking alternative funding sources which will decrease the dependency on government funding. Perhaps, attemps development program in the US to increase audience and may as a result enhance domestic funding.

OKAY

I have been working at Global Communities

ProsDecent people. Good benefits. Building is located in a nice spot.

ConsTurnover. Departments do not understand one another. Poor communication. HR makes people feel bad. They will go outside to hire new person and overpay instead of internal promotions. Everyone always looking to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within, retain people, make it a good place to work.

Your wont have a life but you will learn about office politics

I worked at Global Communities

ProsThe people - not management - are amazing as is the work being done in the field. There were many projects I visited where the I was amazed how much was getting done and often it was the projects that had the most contentious relationship with HQ. Says something when success doesn't involve management.

ConsThe entire organization doesn't feel like a non-profit - they chase money and will do whatever it takes to get it and keep it including shady practices in lots of programs with USG money. The VPs and CEO at the time were awful - its all about politics and position. Favoritism is rampant and its a very hostile place to work if you arent one of the favorites. Turn over is so high that no one is left in the office I worked in less than a year ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing games and politics and focus on why you got into development. When you chase money and try to be something to everyone you'll fail.

Work Elsewhere

Program Officer (Former Employee)

I worked at Global Communities

ProsThe support staff (meaning anyone without a management title) are great. The projects in some of the field offices are really good. The field staff at all levels are for the most part great.

ConsThe Vice Presidents work as a united force to promote their own agenda's. They do not connect or work with any staff that they don't see as supporting their ideas even if those ideas hurt the organization. Ethics and abilities are not requirements for a senior level position at CHF but that may change with the new president. The atmosphere at CHF is tense and negative. The turn over rate is very high.

Advice to Senior ManagementA change in senior management at CHF could make this a great place to work.

Worked for Global Communities? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Global Communities reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Global Communities CEO David A. Weiss. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Global Communities employees.