Global Employment Solutions

Reset
1.7
Howard Brill
1 Rating

Maybe this is not for me

Current Employee - Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Global Employment Solutions full-time

Pros

There are some great recruiters and managers that work at the Chicago office. Some of them seems to be genuinely interested in your well being and success. It seems to have a gleam of potential every now and then. Just not enough of them to make a difference in the office.

Cons

I might be new to recruiting, but I know an unhealthy sales environment when I see it and hear it. There is no respect for the management or from the management. Useless meetings and trainings. Rules are consistently made and then changed and then ignored. I have been told that is just the way a competitive sales office runs. When I was hired, I was told what a great culture we have, a great team to work with, and so much money to be made. This is few and far between from what I have seen so far.

Advice to Management

Clean house in Chicago. Starting at the top down.

Shady and greedy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Global Employment Solutions full-time

Pros

...Some nice people? The location is very convenient at lunchtime?

Cons

I've never seen turnover like this place. Or so many long-term employees who seem so unhappy.

Focus is on money and money only. Dishonest portrayals of job opportunities to candidates were the order of the day. Concerns raised about discriminatory practices by clients, dishonest and illegal practices, etc., were routinely dismissed out of hand. They will get sued by a disgruntled candidate one day, I am sure of it.

Very low pay. Unfair and dishonest commission structure. Lame benefits package.

Not open to or interested in staff development or problem-solving.

Boiler-room culture, with phone calls being monitored and reported to the entire company twice daily.

Promotions based on popularity and nothing more.

The least diverse place I have ever worked. If you're white and the type that was active in a fraternity/sorority in college, you'll be all set. If not...good luck getting hired in the first place, and if you do, expect to be a $12/hr underling and be treated like you've been done a favor. (And I'm white, FTR.)

Advice to Management

Find a way to balance your love of money with the fact that your work directly impacts actual human beings' lives.

Global Employment Solutions Response

Feb 13, 2015Marketing Director

At Global Employment Solutions, any concerns regarding discriminatory practices are investigated and remediated promptly. Our handbook provides employees with different ways to report such concerns ... More

Senior Recruiter

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Global Employment Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, young outgoing environment was very appealing to me.

Cons

One of the top managers is verrrry difficult to work with. She often pushs hard to get one of her less then qualified candidates into my clients. (example - she wanted her candidate who hates reception to interview for a receptionist position with my best client) With the strong turnover she cherry picks the best clients from those who leave. Management will never be able to let her go as this practice has her aligned with the majority of the top clients.

Just an OK place to work, more hype, peanuts pay, no career movement in Chicago.

Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Global Employment Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with, if they stick around; Somewhat recognizable name in Chicago metro area. Work/life balance is good but for the wrong reasons- most people run out the door at 5pm, not because of the benefits, or any alternative work schedules which they do not offer.

I left on my own to pursue similar opportunities on the corporate side to work with more professional people, for more stimulating work, more money, less pressure, .

Cons

They pay peanuts, expect to make very little the first few years. You need to get job orders or you won't make money. Upper management will push you to fill their job orders so they get paid the 6 figures, while you go home with annual compensation around 40-50k. Turn over is so high, it seems ridiculous. Most people can't make it there, this is true of the search industry however. There was a running joke in the office (although not funny), people would take the phone list and cross off those who left, after a while the list got so long it was a lot of work to keep track of everyone.

Advice to Management

Provide better training, allow use of internet sourcing tools, bring recruiting methods up to the 21st century, embrace technology, offer better mentoring.

Best to look elsewhere for a career in recruiting.

I worked at Global Employment Solutions

Pros

The people can be fun, and there is a lot of social interaction with the open "pit" layout of the office. The firm which used to be called Excell Personnel Services is now GES or Global Employment Solutions. The firm has built somewhat of a nationwide presence and ranks in the top few hundred search firms at least several years ago. Recently they upgraded to new offices after like 15 years with the same beat up furniture. People complained how the office looked very 1980’s.

Cons

Where to start...hmmmm....
    Turnover is ridiculous. I probably counted 100 or so people coming and going throughout my tenure. The office size at any given time was approx. 30-40 and mostly recruiters or managers. You think to yourself, when am I getting out of here? Keep in mind some people left because they didn't recruit well and didn't make any money, others just didn't like the atmosphere. There is no admin. support either.

Work/Life balance is ok, but don't be late or expect to cut out early. Most people are out the door at the 8 - 5pm hours. Certain manager's are very strict. If you are a few minutes late you better have a doctor's note or very good excuse or be prepared to be berated in front of everyone.

Technology - To at least one of the manager's who's been there for 12 years, Technology is a big no-no. The Manager's philosophy is get on the phone. Well, in todays work environment internet tools and social networking is where it is at! Of course you should integrate these tools with your phone work or you would be missing out on the whole picture. But this VP (Manager) frowns upon CRM use too.

Advice to Management

Spend more time training and developing new recruiters. Some managers only think of themselves and if they are making their $125k+ they don't care that others are only making $40k. They tend to steer employees to work on their jobs, finding candidates to fill jobs they have. There is very little focus on new business development and growing the client base side of the business. This means limited opportunities for placing a wider range of candidates.

RSS Feed </> Embed