Global Employment Solutions

Be The First To
Add Photos

Howard Brill

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Just an OK place to work, more hype, peanuts pay, no career movement in Chicago.

Executive Recruiter (Former Employee)

I worked at Global Employment Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice people to work with, if they stick around; Somewhat recognizable name in Chicago metro area. Work/life balance is good but for the wrong reasons- most people run out the door at 5pm, not because of the benefits, or any alternative work schedules which they do not offer.

I left on my own to pursue similar opportunities on the corporate side to work with more professional people, for more stimulating work, more money, less pressure, .

ConsThey pay peanuts, expect to make very little the first few years. You need to get job orders or you won't make money. Upper management will push you to fill their job orders so they get paid the 6 figures, while you go home with annual compensation around 40-50k. Turn over is so high, it seems ridiculous. Most people can't make it there, this is true of the search industry however. There was a running joke in the office (although not funny), people would take the phone list and cross off those who left, after a while the list got so long it was a lot of work to keep track of everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better training, allow use of internet sourcing tools, bring recruiting methods up to the 21st century, embrace technology, offer better mentoring.

Senior Recruiter

Senior Recruiter (Former Employee)

I worked at Global Employment Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFun, young outgoing environment was very appealing to me.

ConsOne of the top managers is verrrry difficult to work with. She often pushs hard to get one of her less then qualified candidates into my clients. (example - she wanted her candidate who hates reception to interview for a receptionist position with my best client) With the strong turnover she cherry picks the best clients from those who leave. Management will never be able to let her go as this practice has her aligned with the majority of the top clients.

Best to look elsewhere for a career in recruiting.

Senior Recruiter (Former Employee)

I worked at Global Employment Solutions

ProsThe people can be fun, and there is a lot of social interaction with the open "pit" layout of the office. The firm which used to be called Excell Personnel Services is now GES or Global Employment Solutions. The firm has built somewhat of a nationwide presence and ranks in the top few hundred search firms at least several years ago. Recently they upgraded to new offices after like 15 years with the same beat up furniture. People complained how the office looked very 1980’s.

ConsWhere to start...hmmmm....
Turnover is ridiculous. I probably counted 100 or so people coming and going throughout my tenure. The office size at any given time was approx. 30-40 and mostly recruiters or managers. You think to yourself, when am I getting out of here? Keep in mind some people left because they didn't recruit well and didn't make any money, others just didn't like the atmosphere. There is no admin. support either.

Work/Life balance is ok, but don't be late or expect to cut out early. Most people are out the door at the 8 - 5pm hours. Certain manager's are very strict. If you are a few minutes late you better have a doctor's note or very good excuse or be prepared to be berated in front of everyone.

Technology - To at least one of the manager's who's been there for 12 years, Technology is a big no-no. The Manager's philosophy is get on the phone. Well, in todays work environment internet tools and social networking is where it is at! Of course you should integrate these tools with your phone work or you would be missing out on the whole picture. But this VP (Manager) frowns upon CRM use too.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time training and developing new recruiters. Some managers only think of themselves and if they are making their $125k+ they don't care that others are only making $40k. They tend to steer employees to work on their jobs, finding candidates to fill jobs they have. There is very little focus on new business development and growing the client base side of the business. This means limited opportunities for placing a wider range of candidates.

Worked for Global Employment Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Global Employment Solutions reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Global Employment Solutions CEO Howard Brill. All reviews posted anonymously by Global Employment Solutions employees.