Global Experience Specialists

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014
3.6

Steve Moster

Pros
  • Great Co-workers, excellent benefits, growth possible if you're willing to lie about others and promote yourself (in 4 reviews)

• Good work life balance - I've had to work very little over time and only a handful of times on the weekends (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor communication with upper management when forecasting over time (in 5 reviews)

• Advancement opportunities within the company depends heavily on on who you know than on skills and abilities (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good place to start career

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Global Experience Specialists full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people. Work life balance is very favorable. Company provided cell phone and laptop is a nice perk.

Cons

Hard to move up. A lot of middle aged managers and senior managers. You do not get promoted unless someone above you leaves company and a position opens.

Provide a better opportunity for advancement. Do not get complacent with the status quo.

Extraordinary company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foxborough, MA

I have been working at Global Experience Specialists full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

GES is an outstanding public company and its commitment to its employees is just as outstanding. As a current employee, I know that employees are treated fairly, work-life balance is supported and GES' financial strength provides stability in an ever-changing economy. In particular, GES' Foxborough, MA office is a perfect example of the company culture, camaraderie and dedication to serving it's customers well. It would be difficult for me to work for a company who put themselves first instead of the customer. After all, we are all customers in one way or another.

Cons

Because GES is a public company, it is understood that corporations must report its financial performance monthly, quarterly, annually. Thus, its employees are rated according to measurable results. Metrics data, like statistics, are the drivers of performance leaving very little room for gray areas or soft data. Sometimes metrics are interpreted too factually without consideration of outside variables or extenuating circumstances.

While metrics is necessary for a public company, there is more to the story than metrics. We explain variances at a corporate level to the analyst community. Perhaps management should consider the same at a macro level.

Good company trying hard to lead its industry; great people in my office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foxborough, MA

I have been working at Global Experience Specialists (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent local leadership; supportive office work environment; great co-workers always willing to help out; nice office; has the capabilities and resources needed to truly distinguish itself from its competitors and help you offer great customer service; management tries hard to keep us informed and let us know what is going in our office and in the company in general

Cons

limited advancement opportunities for people on exhibit side of business becasue our side of the business has a flat structure and there are not many places where advancement is possible; can sometimes feel like you are just a small piece of a very big puzzle

Great company, amazing opportunities - a fabulous place to work!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Global Experience Specialists full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large global company with full service capabilities. Fortune 100 clientele, supportive local management, great co-workers. Many employees in this office are highly tentured and experienced. Nice office location and environment.

Cons

Not many negatives. Pittsburgh office could be larger.

Disparity in treatment and compensation among contractors and employees.

Current Employee - Accountant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Accountant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Global Experience Specialists as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good people, friendly environment. Fresh ideas from senior leadership.

Cons

Management skills lacking, weak coomunication. Uneven workload.

Excellent company! Strives to make everyone better!

Current Employee - Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Global Experience Specialists full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Immediate health benefits and time-off

Cons

Not as easy to move up the ladder as anticipated

Ups and Downs at GES

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Global Experience Specialists full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

On the positive side I loved Kevin Rabbitt and Steve Moster at GES. They provided my an opportunity and supported me every step of the way.

Cons

When Kevin and Steve left the company floundered. The moral turned bad and they seemed to be no direction. They were smart to hire Steve to run the company.

This company should not be public. Too many costs are at the VIAD level and they provide no added value.

If you're in dire need of a job, go ahead, but don't stop looking for another job.

Former Employee - Tradeshow Installer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Tradeshow Installer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Global Experience Specialists as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of great people, Hardly boring and often fascinating. Fairly decent pay. Always the possibility for advancement. Meet many people from many businesses which may open doors for possible career changes.

Cons

Hard to know what time your work day will end. Very often, you won't know if it's an 8 hour or 18 hour workday until you're walking out the door. A large number of unskilled, unprofessional and untrained coworkers causing many conflicts among employees. Compared to Freeman Decorating, very poor customer service and labor relations between management and hourly employees. Management is often poor and unfair. Although most exhibitors pay GES a very large sum of money for each event, management makes little effort to deal with complaints or issues and even less effort to keep employees happy, acting as if the employees are indentured and GES was the only option for trade show management. That was the case for a while until FDC opened up its offices, bringing its superior customer service and smarter management/employee relations to the West, relieving GES-San Diego of their biggest clients sending them on a well deserved vacation.

Offer offsite parking in your warehouse during Comic-Con, the auto show and all the other big shows you lost to help offset your operating costs.

Hasn't been the worst place to work...

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

While there are definitely good things about GES, there are other things that are equally as challenging.
    Are there things that could be better? Of course, that is the case at any employer. A good place to work is defined by what you make of it and is definitely affected by your attitude. That being said--here are the things that I find best about GES:

Good work life balance - I've had to work very little over time and only a handful of times on the weekends. For me, they have been conscious of my family circumstances and have scheduled out of town trips around my availability.
    In my location, employees are encouraged to get involved on various committees.
    They have employee recognition programs--and in my location, anyone can nominate someone who has done a good job, it doesn't have to be someone in management.
    A very collaborative environment, and some things can be changed quickly.
    Compensation is fair - I received a bonus the first year I worked here, and pay increases every year.
    Generous sick time, and a floating holiday that is taken when the employee chooses to use it.

Cons

Not much room for advancement for my area, unless someone retires.
    Employees are not empowered--They do attempt to empower employees and managers, but when every little decision must be run up the flag pole first--action is slow, deadlines are missed, and necessary changes are prevented because "we've always done things this way".
    Performance reviews are really pointless because everyone is rated "meets expectations". Even after an exceptional first year on the job, I still was only considered "meets expectations" when raise/bonus time came, which was very discouraging as a new employee. First year increases and bonuses are prorated based on when employment started.
    Lack of consistency between locations - Each location seems to operate as an island

Empower your employees! I have seen the frustration when my manager's hands are tied. We were hired for our professional expertise--allow us to use it.
    Set company wide policies and standards and enforce them--it's difficult to know what goes on from HQ when each location is allowed to operate the way they want to.
    Provide more opportunities for advancement for all employees, not just some.

Just don't try to advance

Former Employee - Designer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Designer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Global Experience Specialists full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As with any trade show-related company, there are occasional seasons of business and long hours. GES has a big revenue footprint in the industry, which places less demand on design to be the sole-breadwinner in the organization. It feels like a big company, big HR, big policies and procedures, big compliance. The company, as a business (from a dollars and cents perspective), is run pretty well.

Cons

I worked tirelessly to advance and to network within the company, partnering with those that I thought would recognize my abilities and willingness to contribute more. That's really all I wanted - the ability to contribute more. No dice. Passed up time and again, only to see advancement given to people with lower work ethic and lower abilities. I just couldn't respect a company that didn't have any interest in my growth. Growth matters; you have to believe that your best work is seen and appreciated, and that your ability to do more for the company is seen as a benefit to the company, not a threat to someone else's position. They just wanted me to be content with my same old job.

There's tremendous talent at GES that just needs a chance to break free and serve the company. Cut through the middle management and go direct to your front-line people; listen to them, value their growth ambitions, and then give them the chance to prove their worth.

Global Experience Specialists Photos