Global Experience Specialists

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
3.3

Steve Moster

Great company, amazing opportunities - a fabulous place to work!

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Global Experience Specialists full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Large global company with full service capabilities. Fortune 100 clientele, supportive local management, great co-workers. Many employees in this office are highly tentured and experienced. Nice office location and environment.

Cons

Not many negatives. Pittsburgh office could be larger.

Disparity in treatment and compensation among contractors and employees.

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Accountant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Global Experience Specialists as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good people, friendly environment. Fresh ideas from senior leadership.

Cons

Management skills lacking, weak coomunication. Uneven workload.

Excellent company! Strives to make everyone better!

Current Employee - Coordinator  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Global Experience Specialists full-time for more than a year

Pros

Immediate health benefits and time-off

Cons

Not as easy to move up the ladder as anticipated

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ups and Downs at GES

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Global Experience Specialists full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

On the positive side I loved Kevin Rabbitt and Steve Moster at GES. They provided my an opportunity and supported me every step of the way.

Cons

When Kevin and Steve left the company floundered. The moral turned bad and they seemed to be no direction. They were smart to hire Steve to run the company.

This company should not be public. Too many costs are at the VIAD level and they provide no added value.

If you're in dire need of a job, go ahead, but don't stop looking for another job.

Former Employee - Tradeshow Installer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Tradeshow Installer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Global Experience Specialists as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of great people, Hardly boring and often fascinating. Fairly decent pay. Always the possibility for advancement. Meet many people from many businesses which may open doors for possible career changes.

Cons

Hard to know what time your work day will end. Very often, you won't know if it's an 8 hour or 18 hour workday until you're walking out the door. A large number of unskilled, unprofessional and untrained coworkers causing many conflicts among employees. Compared to Freeman Decorating, very poor customer service and labor relations between management and hourly employees. Management is often poor and unfair. Although most exhibitors pay GES a very large sum of money for each event, management makes little effort to deal with complaints or issues and even less effort to keep employees happy, acting as if the employees are indentured and GES was the only option for trade show management. That was the case for a while until FDC opened up its offices, bringing its superior customer service and smarter management/employee relations to the West, relieving GES-San Diego of their biggest clients sending them on a well deserved vacation.

Offer offsite parking in your warehouse during Comic-Con, the auto show and all the other big shows you lost to help offset your operating costs.

Just don't try to advance

Former Employee - Designer  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Designer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Global Experience Specialists full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As with any trade show-related company, there are occasional seasons of business and long hours. GES has a big revenue footprint in the industry, which places less demand on design to be the sole-breadwinner in the organization. It feels like a big company, big HR, big policies and procedures, big compliance. The company, as a business (from a dollars and cents perspective), is run pretty well.

Cons

I worked tirelessly to advance and to network within the company, partnering with those that I thought would recognize my abilities and willingness to contribute more. That's really all I wanted - the ability to contribute more. No dice. Passed up time and again, only to see advancement given to people with lower work ethic and lower abilities. I just couldn't respect a company that didn't have any interest in my growth. Growth matters; you have to believe that your best work is seen and appreciated, and that your ability to do more for the company is seen as a benefit to the company, not a threat to someone else's position. They just wanted me to be content with my same old job.

There's tremendous talent at GES that just needs a chance to break free and serve the company. Cut through the middle management and go direct to your front-line people; listen to them, value their growth ambitions, and then give them the chance to prove their worth.

Hasn't been the worst place to work...

Current Employee - Senior Accountant  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

While there are definitely good things about GES, there are other things that are equally as challenging.
    Are there things that could be better? Of course, that is the case at any employer. A good place to work is defined by what you make of it and is definitely affected by your attitude. That being said--here are the things that I find best about GES:

Good work life balance - I've had to work very little over time and only a handful of times on the weekends. For me, they have been conscious of my family circumstances and have scheduled out of town trips around my availability.
    In my location, employees are encouraged to get involved on various committees.
    They have employee recognition programs--and in my location, anyone can nominate someone who has done a good job, it doesn't have to be someone in management.
    A very collaborative environment, and some things can be changed quickly.
    Compensation is fair - I received a bonus the first year I worked here, and pay increases every year.
    Generous sick time, and a floating holiday that is taken when the employee chooses to use it.

Cons

Not much room for advancement for my area, unless someone retires.
    Employees are not empowered--They do attempt to empower employees and managers, but when every little decision must be run up the flag pole first--action is slow, deadlines are missed, and necessary changes are prevented because "we've always done things this way".
    Performance reviews are really pointless because everyone is rated "meets expectations". Even after an exceptional first year on the job, I still was only considered "meets expectations" when raise/bonus time came, which was very discouraging as a new employee. First year increases and bonuses are prorated based on when employment started.
    Lack of consistency between locations - Each location seems to operate as an island

Empower your employees! I have seen the frustration when my manager's hands are tied. We were hired for our professional expertise--allow us to use it.
    Set company wide policies and standards and enforce them--it's difficult to know what goes on from HQ when each location is allowed to operate the way they want to.
    Provide more opportunities for advancement for all employees, not just some.

On the Frontlines of the Exhibition Industry

Former Employee - Designer
    Former Employee - Designer

I worked at Global Experience Specialists full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

GES is a large global company that has a wide variety of job positions. They usually persued the latest in technology, and would start programs for employee recognition. Many of the employees were friendly and helpful. Opportunities to work with many people across the U.S. and sometimes other countries.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are political, same for work/life balance. Employee recognition program felt arbitrary. Human resources was not even aware of employees job duties. No job track advancement program for many. A particular department lacked true leadership.

Working for Global Experience Specialists can be rewarding.

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Global Experience Specialists full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In general this is a great company to work for. Depending on your department and your manager will determine if you are able to be successful and move forward within the company.

Cons

You need to have a degree to advance within the company

Treat everyone equally, showing favoritism openly makes it difficult for the other non favored employees to do their jobs with enthusiasm and continued one team spirit.

Good People

I worked at Global Experience Specialists

Pros

Great people. engaged and motivated

Cons

hours can be difficult at times

none

Worked for Global Experience Specialists? Contribute to the Community!