Global Healthcare Exchange

Global Healthcare Exchange Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Global Healthcare Exchange CEO Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson

Great people to work with!!

Consultant (Former Employee) Louisville, CO

ProsFlexible...Work was done remotely but very efficiently; great working relationships with team; frequent communication and some visits to the home office in Louisville, CO

Consnone although it would be nice to open more satellite offices for more central points of contact even though communication with teams was still sufficient;

GHX

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Louisville, CO

ProsGood location, great work out room.

ConsI no longer work there.

Not the same company since the buyout

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Louisville, CO

ProsSome core good people are still left, good products that I hope can be maintained.

ConsSince the buyout people are still leaving, whether voluntary or positions eliminated. Not a lot of communication between departments and the atmosphere seems to be one of uncertainty. Morale is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that honesty is the best policy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great while it lasted

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Louisville, CO

ProsGood work/life balance. Not lots of overtime unless things are behind schedule.

ConsCan get very stressful when things go wrong and lives depend on your particular project in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop giving lip service to accountability and be role models of what you preach. Too many times employees were given speeches about how we all need to be accountable and too many times upper management has made major blunders without consequences.

Both good and bad place to work

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Louisville, CO

ProsReally some great people working there. Mostly positive environment and culture. Most people are hard working, with a can-do attitude. Whether you like the company or not can really depend upon what team you are working in. Some teams are great, while others are always in firefighting mode. There are several great teams, and great people.

ConsToo many managers, especially higher level managers, who make contradicting decisions. Some teams spend half their time in meetings. In early February, 2014, GHX was acquired by an investment firm which is now calling the shots, and within a couple days, laid off 20% of the workforce. The company since then has felt like a bunch of walking zombies, with everybody expecting more layoffs in the coming months. Also, after the big layoff, many of the best minds walked out the door on their own, leaving the rest of us understaffed and overworked. There is also a lot of talk about outsourcing as many jobs as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow input from lower-level employees, instead of always making decisions based on what you did at some past company. Layoffs are really scary and discouraging to employees, and threatening to outsource most of our jobs is something that makes top talent look elsewhere.

Young and growing company - working through internal conflicts and a recent acquisition.

Developer (Former Employee) Louisville, CO

ProsVery flexible and casual work environment. Benefits are sufficient. Pay meets expectations of current market pay scales.

ConsCompany is overly concerned with the Agile methodology and Agile Process - but not necessarily with what the customer wants or needs or with the quality of the product. Upper management has not fully bought in to the Agile methodology resulting in conflicting priorities. Departments within IT group (which is most of the company) are somewhat adversarial and operate in silos - and often reinvent the same wheel with no communication between groups. Much of the decision making is done by managers and above - without fully involving senior level developers. There is not much room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of the negative issues seem to stem from the continued adversarial relationship within the various IT groups. Fostering a better collaborative relationship between the groups might solve a lot of issues.

Constantly chasing change

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Louisville, CO

ProsGood customers. Nice location.

ConsCompensation has been falling. Constantly changing management ensures individual contributors can't succeed. High negativity since buyout.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's become a place for careers to go and stagnate. Opportunities typically go to new blood.

A great place to work early on; stifled with bureaucracy later on

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Louisville, CO

ProsGreat colleagues for the most part.

ConsOver the latter years the company lost sight of building great software products and spent too much time trying to be a big company without the proper business accumen.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the individual contributors and act on their advice rather than consultants or overpaid user experience workers brought in through favoritism.

Should have seen it coming! They did me a favor.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Louisville, CO

ProsMy Boss was great, the people I worked with were great. Some really smart people that actually care, work there. I was clipped in the 130 person layoff, and it actually ended up being a blessing. The culture was very laid back for being a big company. I really enjoyed the people I worked closely with.

5 in 5 was an admirable goal.

Pay was decent, but after doing the job, could have been better.

That is it... this list is VERY small.

ConsJob responsibilities were VERY understated. Mandatory work, that if you were On-Call, you had to perform. That is NOT the definition of On-Call, and was left out in the interview. I have been in IT for a LONG time, and this was the most horrid On-Call system I have ever experienced. For a company that has been around over a decade, most of the leadership acts as if they have never had a leadership position before, and the feeling is one of "Well that didn't work, hmmm, let's try THIS, now!" You could bring in a bunch of 8 year old children to run this company and get better results. I left a company much smaller, around the same age, and coming to work at GHX was like going back 10 years in a time machine as it related to hardware/software/polices and procedures.

I tried to make it work and be excited about what I was doing, but never was able to do that. I was given a crappy product to support and expected to polish a turd. A turd Management and others in the company ADMITTEDLY mentioned was just that... a TURD! I knew 6 months in, I needed to start looking for a new job, but wanted to wait till my raise and bonus landed.

Outside of the people I worked with, there are a LOT of people that have NO business in the positions they are in, and only got there because of the High School/Fraternity, brown nosing, mentality that you can almost see hanging in the air like a thick fog.

Very middle management heavy... and by very, if the scale goes from 1-10, and knowing they have laid off 130 people recently (closer to 175-200 in total of my time there) they are at a 15 now. I feel sorry for the people still working there as it is probably the equivalent of an overseas sweatshop.

Meetings. For such a fast paced environment, the amount of meetings was STAGGERING. Some times, half my day was spent in them, yet other teams would wonder why their issue wasn't done in a prompt manor.

Zero knowledge transfer, they just let the knowledge walk out the door, then expect the next person to pick up the slack and become the expert, only to let THAT person walk out the door.

The turnover was unreal...

Benefits blew. For a company making strides in trying to help with Healthcare costs, it was the worst benefits I have had in a long time. I came from a company that was MUCH smaller, and gave us $3500 (as a family) toward our HSA. GHX gave exactly NOTHING.

Thoma Bravo acquisition that was billed as "Nothing to worry about, business as usual!" was complete BS. I am confident if my immediate Manager didn't know it was coming, his Manager DID. Round everyone up in a conference room, and then tell them they have 30 minutes to get out, while hiring the Men In Black to take strategic positions to watch for problems... REALLY classy!!! Last I checked I was an adult.

Finally, Bruce the CEO. While he seemed ok at first, has ZERO clue what is going on in his organization. I heard him at a quarterly meeting (my first) straight up say "If you don't like working here, or what you are doing, leave, and leave now." and in an extremely pissed off tone. Which didn't strike me as a very positive thing to say in the opening minutes of a company quarterly meeting. Joke is on him though, as people were doing that as I started and until I got laid off, I had planned on being near my exit time by now anyway. He is a cheerleader, not a leader.

I could really go on about the Cons for another 45 minutes, but do yourself a favor, if you got this far, keep looking. If you still work there... find something better, you deserve it.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose the doors up, pull your ripcords, whatever. Hopefully Thoma Bravo sees you for the incompetent "leaders" you are and much like what we need to do with Congress and the Senate, fires EVERYONE.

A Company Changed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros10+ year former employee here. The home office location really is fantastic. Generally speaking your co-workers are hard working and engaged in making the best of the ever changing situation at GHX. The benefits are pretty good as well with a good chunk of PTO, some extra time off on the holidays (for most employees) and a yearly bonus. The big goal of GHX is a worthy one and one that I was proud of in the early days especially.

ConsAs you've seen in other posts there are too many layers of PowerPoint Executives. There is a sense of frustration at the level of employees that do work at GHX that the needs are not being met. There really are great strides that could be had if there were more hands on workers, but that always seems to be on hold. Meanwhile they plow more suits into the boardroom to discuss the big vision...again

Advice to Senior ManagementClean the management house. There is a ton of work to be done at GHX but so little of it should be "Another PPT by Mangement". GHX needs more people that can actually roll up their sleeves to do the work.

Worked for Global Healthcare Exchange? Contribute to the Community!