Global Impact

Updated July 23, 2014
3.6

Scott Jackson

Growing global philanthropy, together

I have been working at Global Impact full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tremendous charity alliance, experts with international experience, knowledge and acumen, all have the heart to change the world together.

Cons

So much to do, while organization tries to be fiscally responsible, sometimes we're all stretched thin. We do band together and share bandwith when possible.

Continue engaging employees, tap to their strengths, and encourage. We love working here for a reason. Maintain the open communication.

Great new culture

I have been working at Global Impact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dynamic new CEO has breathed life into what was a tough environment. New teams are being formed and a shift is happening that is positive and collaborative. People at enjoying their work and each other while working towards a common goal.

Cons

Fast paced environment is not for everyone. People are stretched in their current roles and competing priorities is the norm for every day.

Some executives seem disconnected to the overall mission and less focused on the needs of the future and employees. The old regime still lingers in the air. Eradicate it.

Worthy mission

I worked at Global Impact

Pros

The organization's mission was the best part of working there.

Cons

no room for advancement for most employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Much better.

I have been working at Global Impact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* The new President & CEO is a good leader, approachable and creates a good environment.
    * The organization has a great mission.
    * I am able to help some great charities and people in need
    * The day to day work is diverse
    * Most of the folks working here really care about what they are doing
    * The location in old town Alexandria is nice

Cons

* Fast paced and demanding environment.
    * Can't always immediately see the product of your work.
    * In the past, leadership created a challenging work environment. I've been here for a few years now and a lot has changed for the better in just the past few months. Many of the issues/problems that have been mentioned in other reviews have gone away. Still a very busy place, but the environment is much improved.

Continue to tap the potential of your staff.

This is the first job where I have actually sat at my desk and cried from choosing this company.

I have been working at Global Impact

Pros

They hire you fast and present a great place to work.

Cons

Communication:
    I've actually been given tasks by a Project Manager of a team and had my supervisor tell me that I should have been doing something different. I actually got lectured. The supervisor knows the PM, yet never communicated with them. So I was stuck in the middle between my supervisor and the PM.

Work/Life Balance:
    There is none. If you come here, expect to work from sun up to sun down with no breaks. There was no mention of this in my interviews. I was told it was a straight 9 to 5 gig.

Turnover:
    The turnover rate when I started was 30%, but it is more like 70% now since two directors including the Director of Marketing, as well as a VP. The most tenured person in the Marketing department has been here two years.

Employee Morale:
    The morale of the company is extremely low due to all the preceding factors. The only person who thinks otherwise is upper management, also the boss for all those directors who mysteriously resigned. People are truly unhappy, but scared to talk to HR, who also reports to upper management. So many conflicts of interests there.

Job Duties:
    My job duties have changed to administrative assistant with a degree, despite what I was actually hired to do. Be careful when pointing that out, otherwise they will politely give you a 500-page book about "change" in workplace and show you how to be a “team player.” There are also lots of supervisors who will take credit for your ideas.

I have never worked at a company where so many employees are overworked, overlooked, and neglected. It truly is a sad to see the employees so defeated, especially for a company whose mission is "Assuring Help for People in Need." The truth is happy employees will bring in revenue and ensure a thriving future. They will want to give 110% when they aren't being mistreated. I hope the recent resignations of key people gives insight to how desperately a change needs to come for the future success of this organization.

Global Impact pros and cons

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Global Impact

Pros

Good benefits. Freedom, at least in some positions (depending on your manager), to learn and grow. Opportunities to take classes to develop your skills.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for growth and development. Lack of excitement and challenge in a lot of the work areas. Fear of trying new things. Environment not very supportive. Employee respect and appreciation at a minimum. Lack of team unity (in some departments).

Get a better understanding and appreciation for your employees and the support necessary to do the work required. Facilitate a more energized work environment; one based on innovation and creativity. Create more opportunities to grow.

Glossy Exterior, Mismanaged Interior

I have been working at Global Impact

Pros

the work is exciting, the employees are engaging and the business itself is really an interesting and emerging business. This makes for a neat job.

Cons

poor organizational leadership, no employee appreciation program/effort, extremely risk adverse and therefore unable to respond to the market, stale work environment, if it's not great- it's not good enough

Employ a stronger employee recognition program, cut down the need to formalize everything, allow mid-level managers the opportunity to lead and make mistakes

Worked for Global Impact? Contribute to the Community!