Global Knowledge

Be The First To
Add Photos

Global Knowledge President and CEO Brian K. Branson

Brian K. Branson

Pros
  • Global Knowledge provides a great work/life balance and supportive management (in 9 reviews)

• Comp plan and benefits was very good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Ultra conservative senior management team that is risk adverse (in 5 reviews)

• Very disorganized management team (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Risk adverse, conservative management team

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsRecognized leader in IT Training industry.
    Low demands on overtime work.
    People are great, hard working.
    Great Halloween parties.

ConsFlat organiztion with little career growth.
    Poor employee training (surprise for a training company!).
    Ultra conservative senior management team that is risk adverse = keep doing it the same way.
    Below industry pay in many functional areas (product management, marketing).
    No incentive for employees to be creative or to think out of the box.
    Pay increases, even for the top employees, are very small compared to industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can not achive the long range growth plans that you sold your investors on by being so conservative. You really need to think outside the box and do something revolutionary.

Good employees, but can be challenging work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsCompany is full of hard workers that will do whatever it takes to get the job done
    Good consultant pool
    Good medical insurance

ConsNot much for extra incentives (e.g. good raises, bonuses, etc.)
    Traveling for the company is a real pain. They have the strictest expense policies I've ever seen, and if you do not follow them exactly you may not get reimbursed.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've had some good incentives in the past. Please return them to reward employees.

Your career will die here

Instructional Designer (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsAfter working here I learned what not to look for when seeking out a company. That was my only pro.

ConsLack of structure to support new staff. I was let go on my 90th day with out any reason. never had any support from my Manager to help be transition into the job, this was a total sink or swim environment. Also, my manager told me my first week she never wanted me hired and the other team members were the reason I was hired. Who says that to a new hire? How unprofessional. There are plenty of better companies out there that offer the same services and treat their employees better

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue on how to manage staff. Support them. people have families and don't want to leave a company in such a short time. this place is not a place anyone can stay at for long.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Opportunity, but you are not allowed to think.

Training Advisor (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsFast growing and tons of room to move. Young and energetic office.

ConsIf it sounds too good to be true, it is. Don't take time off until your on full time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clear with your daily goals, managers were constantly conflicting one another and throwing around buzzwords for the sake of it.

Hate to BARE BAD NEWS but... No growth opportunity, extreme office politics, poor management breeds poor morale

Coordinator (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsRelationships with people, younger culture equals fun and creativity, some limited flexibility is a sign that the company is considering work-life balance. . . .so there's hope and potential I guess.

ConsGlobal Knowledge has very poor management who often portray the inability to be objective and the need to control; inequality between departments is very evident; hiring practices are the most discriminatory (favors and longevity often take precedence over qualification and potential); job postings is a formality in a high percentage of cases (shoulder tapping is more of the norm), individuals are very territorial with simple inquires of opportunities. There's no advantage in working internally unless you are part of a select group who rotate through company departments every few years. This cycle of rotation is mistakenly perceived as aggressive pursuit of career opportunities. Interviewers are seriously unprofessional with interviewing process and do not close the loop or follow up on application status. The fact that you have to obtain your manager's buy end before applying for a position is insane, consider the possibility for career block or sabotage if you work for a manager who does not know how to be objective or who personalizes things or one who looks out for his/her own interest. . . .such a conflict of interest.

Individuals are not held accountable, but instead rewarded with certificates and awards for bad behavior and poor performance. It's a joke.

For an IT company, processes and systems are archaic. For a training company, several positions are not trained.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the full spectrum and truly consider the company's core values, Innovation, Integrity, Teamwork. Apply those in everything you do and hold yourself accountable as you should your team. The buddy system is not always the best policy; stop personalizing individual's opinions. Be objective in your decisions and reward and promote people for their qualifications or value. Not doing so ultimately affects morale. Place
    Training at the forefront to better individuals and company as a whole..

I work at Global Knowledge

ProsFrom what I can gather in my research, the pay for non-sales positions seems fair. The flexibility that some managers provide can help with work/life balance, fun and supportive work environment for the most part.

ConsNo organizational charts, poor communication around structural changes, little opportunity to advance, no salary information (if job levels and salary bands exist, these are not up for internal knowledge amongst the masses), company is run by management who care more about money than growth of their employees, structure of sales commissions is strange (reps are paid commission on totals sold, regardless of profit)

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, I know that they try. I believe that they do try. Maybe put more feedback mechanisms in place, and actually consider what employees are suggesting.

Great rewarding experience

Senior Instructor (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat culture
    Variety of opportunities
    Good course material

ConsSome course materials outdate or not at par with competition
    Some distributed course material to class shows older dates

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade the course materials at par with competition
    Do not put the date of the course material when it is old

Great company for entry level sales

Sales (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsGreat (unrivaled) training program
    Mentoring/coaching
    Good mangers
    Great product training
    Very high quality product
    Good Marketing support
    Excellent database

ConsVery rigid schedule - can't take a late or early lunch or leave an hour early

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat company

Love it!

ProsGreat management and senior leadership. The pay isn't the BEST until you reach Rep or Advisor but I still highly enjoy my job! I also love the fact that you get to leave work...at work. Once 5 o'clock comes around your manager is tapping you on the shoulder telling you its time to leave! I love it!

ConsLike I said in the "Pros" the comp plan for associates is not the best but it makes it 100% worth it when you find out how much you can make as a REP and Advisor.

Generally positive

Proscompany is recently making moves in the right direction in terms of employee feedback; co-workers are extremely hard-working, dedicated and fun to work with; great first time sales jobs as Training Associates; great benefits; its a normal corporate environment; there are incredible managers in some groups; lots of warm leads in the sales jobs

Consstagnant pay; capped compensation packages; lots of lateral movement but not many upward career opportunities

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the people who do the job - they know what is going on

Worked for Global Knowledge? Contribute to the Community!