Global Knowledge

Updated September 10, 2014
3.4

Global Knowledge President and CEO Brian K. Branson
Brian K. Branson

Pros
  • Global Knowledge provides a great work/life balance and supportive management (in 9 reviews)

• Comp plan and benefits was very good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Ultra conservative senior management team that is risk adverse (in 5 reviews)

• Very disorganized management team (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to start a career

Current Employee - Training Associate  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Training Associate in Cary, NC

I have been working at Global Knowledge full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to earn a very good income. Everyone is will to help

Cons

There is not a lot of room for advancement or negotiation...salaries are scaled and little if any consideration is given to deviation.

Listen to the employees. Start a work from home and flex time program. d

Great place to work

I have been working at Global Knowledge

Pros

Great stepping stone for bigger jobs

Cons

Not a long term solution

At it again, cutting salaries because they can

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Global Knowledge as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

The largest training parter for several vendors

Cons

Can treat contractors and employees badly by cutting pay and benefits because they have a huge market share. For now anyway. They are cutting pay again this year

Stop treating employees and contractors pay as a revenue source. It will come back to bite you. Treating the very essence of your business as a commodity then you will lose your best people and you will only be able to charge commodity prices.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Risk adverse, conservative management team

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I worked at Global Knowledge full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Recognized leader in IT Training industry.
    Low demands on overtime work.
    People are great, hard working.
    Great Halloween parties.

Cons

Flat organiztion with little career growth.
    Poor employee training (surprise for a training company!).
    Ultra conservative senior management team that is risk adverse = keep doing it the same way.
    Below industry pay in many functional areas (product management, marketing).
    No incentive for employees to be creative or to think out of the box.
    Pay increases, even for the top employees, are very small compared to industry.

You can not achive the long range growth plans that you sold your investors on by being so conservative. You really need to think outside the box and do something revolutionary.

Your career will die here

Former Employee - Instructional Designer  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Cary, NC

I worked at Global Knowledge as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

After working here I learned what not to look for when seeking out a company. That was my only pro.

Cons

Lack of structure to support new staff. I was let go on my 90th day with out any reason. never had any support from my Manager to help be transition into the job, this was a total sink or swim environment. Also, my manager told me my first week she never wanted me hired and the other team members were the reason I was hired. Who says that to a new hire? How unprofessional. There are plenty of better companies out there that offer the same services and treat their employees better

Get a clue on how to manage staff. Support them. people have families and don't want to leave a company in such a short time. this place is not a place anyone can stay at for long.

Good employees, but can be challenging work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I worked at Global Knowledge full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company is full of hard workers that will do whatever it takes to get the job done
    Good consultant pool
    Good medical insurance

Cons

Not much for extra incentives (e.g. good raises, bonuses, etc.)
    Traveling for the company is a real pain. They have the strictest expense policies I've ever seen, and if you do not follow them exactly you may not get reimbursed.

You've had some good incentives in the past. Please return them to reward employees.

Hate to BARE BAD NEWS but... No growth opportunity, extreme office politics, poor management breeds poor morale

Current Employee - Coordinator  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Global Knowledge full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Relationships with people, younger culture equals fun and creativity, some limited flexibility is a sign that the company is considering work-life balance. . . .so there's hope and potential I guess.

Cons

Global Knowledge has very poor management who often portray the inability to be objective and the need to control; inequality between departments is very evident; hiring practices are the most discriminatory (favors and longevity often take precedence over qualification and potential); job postings is a formality in a high percentage of cases (shoulder tapping is more of the norm), individuals are very territorial with simple inquires of opportunities. There's no advantage in working internally unless you are part of a select group who rotate through company departments every few years. This cycle of rotation is mistakenly perceived as aggressive pursuit of career opportunities. Interviewers are seriously unprofessional with interviewing process and do not close the loop or follow up on application status. The fact that you have to obtain your manager's buy end before applying for a position is insane, consider the possibility for career block or sabotage if you work for a manager who does not know how to be objective or who personalizes things or one who looks out for his/her own interest. . . .such a conflict of interest.

Individuals are not held accountable, but instead rewarded with certificates and awards for bad behavior and poor performance. It's a joke.

For an IT company, processes and systems are archaic. For a training company, several positions are not trained.

Look at the full spectrum and truly consider the company's core values, Innovation, Integrity, Teamwork. Apply those in everything you do and hold yourself accountable as you should your team. The buddy system is not always the best policy; stop personalizing individual's opinions. Be objective in your decisions and reward and promote people for their qualifications or value. Not doing so ultimately affects morale. Place
    Training at the forefront to better individuals and company as a whole..

Great Opportunity, but you are not allowed to think.

Current Employee - Training Advisor  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Training Advisor in Cary, NC

I have been working at Global Knowledge full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast growing and tons of room to move. Young and energetic office.

Cons

If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Don't take time off until your on full time.

Be clear with your daily goals, managers were constantly conflicting one another and throwing around buzzwords for the sake of it.

I work at Global Knowledge

I have been working at Global Knowledge full-time

Pros

From what I can gather in my research, the pay for non-sales positions seems fair. The flexibility that some managers provide can help with work/life balance, fun and supportive work environment for the most part.

Cons

No organizational charts, poor communication around structural changes, little opportunity to advance, no salary information (if job levels and salary bands exist, these are not up for internal knowledge amongst the masses), company is run by management who care more about money than growth of their employees, structure of sales commissions is strange (reps are paid commission on totals sold, regardless of profit)

Overall, I know that they try. I believe that they do try. Maybe put more feedback mechanisms in place, and actually consider what employees are suggesting.

Great rewarding experience

Current Employee - Senior Instructor  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Instructor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Global Knowledge as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture
    Variety of opportunities
    Good course material

Cons

Some course materials outdate or not at par with competition
    Some distributed course material to class shows older dates

Upgrade the course materials at par with competition
    Do not put the date of the course material when it is old

Worked for Global Knowledge? Contribute to the Community!