Global Relay

2.5

Warren Roy

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Global Relay full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I'm not sure what's up with all the negative reviews. I've been at GR for almost a year and have found it to be a great place to work. Nice co-workers, strong leadership, subsidzed meals (chef prepared lunch for $3!), a salary bonus program, beer on tap, etc.

Cons

It's a job. There's parts of it I'd rather not do but that's probably why I'm getting paid to do it. I have no real complaints about working at GR.

Keep up the good work.

Interesting Space, Horrendous Management

I worked at Global Relay full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Some awesome people who genuinely want to assist, share knowledge and experience; who stay good friends after all of them have left for other decent workplaces
    - Beer Fridge in Vancouver HQ
    - Great technology and growing regulator-led industry
    - Good salary do to working within FSS

Cons

- Friends you make there are through shared commiseration and disappointment in management
    - Regular public humiliation of (often senior) staff on internal catch-up calls, regular quashing of genuine HR issues from No.3 @co., regular f2f degradation of personal efforts or insights, shock followed by backhanded remarks at new ideas.
    - One key member of senior staff will ruin your working life every single day. And you'll find out who that is very quickly
    - High staff turnover
    - More specific info IDs me..
    - Work-life balance is extremely poor; you are regularly expected to overwork yourself causing unnecessary stress due to the fact that this is the way senior management run their lives.
    - General unprofessionalism of senior management in day-to-day situations including immature arguments in front of senior level customers, or staff.
    - No perceived value of staff from junior - senior level, including overseas satellite office heads

- Learn the social skills of grown, respectable adults and treat your staff with respect
    - Understand that innovation from below is a real thing
    - Appreciate good advice given from others, even if they speak in funny accents
    - Stop micromanaging staff, and give them a chance to prove their worth through good delegation. Many existing staff there can help you with this.
    ^ All of these suggestions will help you to prevent the high turnover in staff on the business side

Disrespectful environment - developers needn't waste their time

Current Employee - Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Global Relay

Pros

Great location, nice office
    At first glance, all the right perks - typical of dev company (beer, snacks)
    Some great and talented people, but they move on quick
    If you're willing to put in the time, it's a good place to learn your worth and then move to another company
    Green technology in data center - although not consistent internally (a lot of wasted $ and )
    By nature, you will wear many hats

Cons

Poor leadership - focused on growing the business outwards-in, rather than strengthening the core within. Too focused on external PR to deal with issues internally.
    Amateur HR group - essentially a puppet team. Most policies and programs (performance and otherwise) on dev and business side are overrun and meaningless due to lack of respect for HR by managers and employees alike
    Managers lack respect for their employees, particularly on the development teams
    Volatile culture, and uncomfortable work environment
    Development teams have ego issues and don't respect QA
    Discussion on salary and promotion are obsolete - not at all in line with market standards for devs

Growing pains are not meant to be this painful - as a senior in the industry for many years, I've seen companies face similar challenges and prevail. Take a hint from disgruntled high performers and consider changing your management style.

Most employees are unhappy - even the high performers. If my colleagues and friends come and go because the company did not satisfy them, what motivates me to stay?

HR group needs to manage the managers instead of focusing on maintaining friendships with them. The behavior is unbecoming. Hire an actual leader for the group to move company to the next level.

Finally, with little discretion, I had been asked to write a review because I'm a "good" employee. Stop painting faces and take note that things will need to change to keep talented people around.

If you like being a drone...then this is the place for you!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Global Relay full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Culture is exiting if you're young and need experience

Cons

Pay, vacation and benefits are below market standards. They will work you and are top heavy and do not have trained management. The CEO wants it to be the next google but without the adequate infrastructure. They are growing faster than they can keep up with. They will sell new candidates on the culture because the benefits suck. They will interview the hell out of you to make it seem like the role is uber important, when really...you'll just be a drone for them.

Get properly trained to manage staff and appreciate them! Get new HR

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Development in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Development in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Global Relay full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Location is very cool, central gas town.

Cons

Where do I begin??? I worked there sometime ago and am not suprised to see so many terrible reviews of this awful place to work. Every negative review are 100% correct. The upper management are absolutely terrible. They lack leadership skills, treat employees like crap, continuously argue in public and spend a lot of time belittling employees in the view of co-workers. DONT BE TAKEN IN BY THIS PLACE. It's a career disaster! I'm surprised the company is still trading.

Treat your employees with dignity ad respect. Stop having lovers tiffs in public. It's embarrassing.

Hell hole : avoid this place

Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Global Relay full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company is still in business.
    Most of the people are unhappy & they all agree that management is terrible.

Cons

Worst possible HR team ever. They cannot solve any issue - actually they are one the of main problems & they like to kiss top managers big butts.

Most of the people are extremely frustrated & unhappy because of the management team.

Horrible management team - totally unprofessional. They blame devs & QAs for their fault. They don't take any responsibilities & hide behind the policies skirt. If you complaint, they will blame you & it's your fault!. One of the top managers (I cannot write his name as glassdoor will censor it) has nothing to do & he is a big problem.

Fire HR team and also all the top managers destroying the company. You don't need managers to run this business. If you cannot solve these issues the company will not survive.

Dysfunctional, Nepotistic & Sycophantic Workplace

Current Employee - QA Lead/PM
    Current Employee - QA Lead/PM

I have been working at Global Relay full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only thing that is good about working at Global Relay is the fact that there are so many other individuals who feel just as frustrated as you do, that there is a camaraderie that is formed as a result.

Lot of perks that are all designed to take your mind off the horrible working environment.

Cons

Senior management looks down upon staff, and is given to publicly berating staff and humiliating them in front of their peers.
    People are expected to shoulder multiple responsibilities with no expectation of a reward or formal title change.

HR is a huge part of the problem. Upon receiving a complaint, HR's response is to ask you to quit instead.

Quit and let someone else run the company.

Very good enveironment there

Current Employee - Coop QA in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Coop QA in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Global Relay full-time (less than a year)

Pros

we can drink after work, many differnet kinds of beers provided there

Cons

There is not too much limitation there, people are really organized

Confused culture & strategy

Current Employee - Intermediate Software Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Intermediate Software Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Global Relay full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Like the last review mentioned you can drink here after work! although will want to during the day.

Cons

No new technology ever gets out of development. Clients and employees have been promised all sorts of technology that either doesn't exist, is not being worked on, or somewhere inbetween. The archive is exactly the same as it was 8 years ago... it is a stable SMB product that is collapsing under enterprise demands...

Why are we ignoring our customers...

Stay away from this company if you weren't new graduate

I have been working at Global Relay full-time

Pros

Young company
    Fancy kitchen
    Good HR team

Cons

Poor management(some of them are extreme unprofessional)
    No work from home option
    Restricted vacation and sick leave policy
    Very noise office location

Hiring more professional team leads and managers

Global Relay Photos