Global Resources

Add Photos

Richard Belcher

Road Warrior

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsEvery day you are interacting with companies in need of process improvement and changing their lives for the better. The time I spent working for them was both personally rewarding and provided personal growth.

ConsThe pay starts out slow and the hours are long. Life on the road (Sunday afternoon to Friday late night) can get old if you enjoy your home. Not all “Clients” appreciate the visit or the opportunity for change, so there can be periods of wasted time.

Senior Business Analyst is in reality a senior salesperson

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)

Pros- Their business concept is great in theory and they have clearly identified a set of genuine needs within their target sector;
    - Very friendly and professional recruitment staff;
    - Reasonably good training and training materials;
    - Reasonably good Business analysis software;
    - Good methodology (from a theoretical standpoint only).

Cons- Don't be fooled by the title of Senior Business Analyst (SBA) because this is *primarily* a salesperson job. If you're not comfortable "semi-cold" calling in person, this is NOT the job for you no matter how good your business analysis skills are: you simply will not have the opportunity to do an analysis of any type if you can't "sell" your way past a business owner who, in theory, is expecting you.
    - There is a HUGE gap between their theory and real life practice: in theory, you're supposed to provide an analysis (or "survey") to a qualified prospect. In practice, and in my experience (which, in fairness, may differ from that of others), said "prospects" often agreed to the appointment simply to get rid of a persistent, hard selling, telemarketer and/or were not properly made aware of the SBA's role. That places the SBA in the (uncomfortable) position of having to do a cold or semi-cold sale on the doorstep of a less than eager prospect just to get a foot in the door (literally!). That would be bad enough if it weren't for the fact that, without the possibility of performing an analysis, it is impossible for you to recommend (and have accepted) the services that trigger the earning of your commission, i.e. your ONLY source of remuneration...

Advice to Senior Management- As part of their training, SBA's should shadow call center employees for at least a few hours to familiarize themselves with how the initial appointment is "sold";
    - Similarly, call center employees should be better acquainted with the role and objectives of SBAs. Their scripts should be adjusted to CLEARLY explain to prospects what they can expect upon the visit by an SBA.
    - Per diem and allowable out of pocket expenses should be refunded PROMPTLY, preferably on a weekly basis;
    -Direct deposit, as opposed to check payments, should be the norm given that employees are on the road 5 days a week with little spare time to run to the bank to deposit or cash a much needed expenses check.

Do your research before working here or doing business with this company.

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsThere are a few folks who make a ton of money. So long as you don't mind selling your soul to do it.

ConsNo matter what level you are at, the ultimate product you are selling "consulting services", is subpar and not worth it for the client in almost every case. Like I said, do your research before working or doing business with this company. They have gone by many names SMS, Global Resources, ISI, and more. I resigned after only a short time. Which about 95% of people do. They will even share this with you.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

High turnover among Senior Business Analysts is for many reasons

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsGreat meeting small business persons who need support to improve their business. The problem is that most can't afford the $295 per hour fee that the company charges for consulting services.

ConsI am not sure if anyone is left from my class -- there were several dropouts before the training was completed and more during the following weeks on the road. To start, it is a financial investment on the employee's part: you must own or purchase a portable printer, laptop, and supplies before earning your first dollar. You are not fully reimbursed for travel expenses if you spend more than $100/ day (hotel, food, & car rental). Also you are expected to sell a minimum of 100 hours at $295 per hour consulting services, which is difficult for most of the business leads you are assigned to as a new GR analyst. The Business Analyst does not get paid anything for collecting the Business Analysis survey fee which could range from $300 - $1000.

Don't rely on the title, it is misleading; the analytic skills are secondary. The primary skill needed for success as a business analyst is sales and an understanding of what the organization does during the consulting engagements. You will also need to bank your own expenses until the reimbursement checks start coming in. Continuing your job search may yield a higher return on your investment than accepting a no base salary sales job at GR.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck! High labor turnover is expensive and a sign of systemic organizational crisis.

This is not what you think It is.

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCan't think of not one.

ConsThis company lacks professionalism and it shows at the first sight of adversity.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to overhaul how you treat employees and potential employees.

Stay away

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCan't think of any good things to say.

ConsThe Job title says Business Analyst but all they teach you is how to emotionally pressure the clients. Rather than doing a real financial analysis the job really is being a glorified sales person.

The training you receive is more procedural and marketing oriented (they tell you it is like a mini MBA). You are sent to the field without much help. Your supervisor shouts at you and insults you.

It is strictly commission based and involves intensive travelling at short notice. You feel unwelcomed at the clients place. You cannot give even a written report to the client.

Most of the Analysts quit a short time after training. I was not fully reimbursed for my expenses.

Please avoid this company. The company and its owner have a shady background. They have been under investigation in the past. Read the article from INC magazine and watch you tube videos.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect.

Do not apply or work for this Compnay

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsThere might be some money to be made !!!

ConsFalse promises,bait and tag recruiting,un-ethical practices

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate culture change from top to bottom

Don't Do It!

Consultant PC Technician (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsWorked overnight, which worked well while going to school.

ConsI can't think of specifics, but everything else!

Advice to Senior ManagementFind another job...

Kiss your ethics good bye...

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere is the chance to make some serious money here, but you have to be OK to not have any values or ethics...

ConsThey will tell you in training that most people leave because of all the traveling and that no one has ever left because of the job and that they exit interview everyone... I know in my 'class' all but one of us left after 2-3 weeks and the traveling had nothign to do with it... the way they treat you and expect you to treat your clients is aweful... there are no ethics in this company - as is shown by their having multiple lawsuits against them - thus why they changed their name about 3 years ago...

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is a good business model and I would think you could still do well if you actually valued people and the busiensses you service...
    Also, when the owner has his first meeting with the new team members, he should try limiting the useage of the "F" word to under 20 times! It made a bad impression on all of us - we talked after the meeting and no one could believe taht someone at his level and a former attorney would say "F" as many times as he did - not professional at all!

one of the most successful decisions I have made in my life

Senior Business Analyst Recruiter (Current Employee) Buffalo Grove, IL

Prosnot only a very rewarding company financially for me, but one of the most rewarding positions personally

Consyou have to like travel, if not, this position is probably not for you (Senior Bus Analyst)

Advice to Senior Managementdon't ever change your model

Worked for Global Resources? Contribute to the Community!