GlobalGiving Reviews

CEO

1. GlobalGiving is my second family

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at GlobalGiving full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a recent post grad, moving to a new city with no friends of family can be really tough. Thankfully, it didn't take long for me to find my home away from home at 1110 Vermont. I love waking up every morning to come into work because I know I will be met with smiles and genuine interest in what I did over the weekend or how I am doing. Half the time it doesn't even feel like work. I just sit in an open office with all my friends trying to change the world.

Cons

As all nonprofits, sometimes we struggle with resources for larger projects and feature improvements to the platform and our services. As we grow i don't foresee this being a chronic issue.

Best team, mission driven, fun!

Pros

I loved working at GG. Every single person there is smart, creative and fun. The team is so innovative, so driven and everyone loves and believes in the mission. GG does right by people and good in the world. Also in hindsight, GG did a phenomenal job of change management.

Cons

-honestly nothing that I can remember. We were in a pretty growing phase when I left.

Advice to Management

Keep your values alive!

3. Best Job I've Ever Had

I have been working at GlobalGiving full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Incredible team - everyone here is passionate about their work, incredibly smart, and genuinely kind Meaningful work - After having worked for a major consulting firm, it's so great to have a job where I know what I'm doing is making the world a better place Family-friendly office - The office culture supports and encourages people to take time for themselves, balancing work and life properly, and is very support of families - particularly for new parents Generous benefits - Great healthcare, lots of PTO, and frequently cooking contests that results in a potluck of free food for everyone Valued values - Only company that I've seen which actually lives their values and has them as a meaningful part of the day-to-day operations. It's a breath of fresh air!

Cons

Lack of open positions - GlobalGiving doesn't add new positions frequently, which makes it hard for people to join.

5. Inspiring internship at open-minded nonprofit

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Working with such friendly and open-minded people has definitely been one of the best things about working at GlobalGiving. Interns are treated equally and listened to. They are given much ability and flexibility to contribute in whatever shape or form - the sky's the limit. Interesting events are always happening around the office and it feels great to be able to contribute to the cause.

Cons

Perhaps sometimes too accommodating. Some may find that they are more motivated in a more pressured environment. Otherwise nothing else that any other similarly positioned company wouldn't face.

Advice to Management

Could do with a greater digital database of learning resources for new workers to assist in orientation process.

Apr 7, 2015 – Chief Product Officer

Good point about the database of learning resources. We'll see what we can do to round-out our Confluence wiki of training materials.

6. Marketing Internship with a Growing Nonprofit

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

GlobalGiving’s staff is incredibly inclusive of interns and generally are so grateful for the work we do. We work in an open office so accessing your boss is easy, and there is a general culture of transparency and celebrating success. During my mid term review I told my (incredible) supervisor that the work I was doing was getting a bit stale and that I would love some longer term projects. Additionally, I wanted to hear more about the work that our team was doing so that I could gain perspective on our whole marketing strategy. Two days later she and my other supervisor presented a list of projects they’d brainstormed for me to do and asked me to pick which I wanted to do. Our entire team also changed the weekly check in meetings to a day that I worked so that I could be more in the loop. Really phenomenal culture towards interns.

Cons

-I’m not sure how applicable the skill-set interns learn here is for other employment. -The work may not be challenging enough for some interns. -Not much opportunity for full time work after internship -People are only friendly 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time they’re making a beeline for the free food corner because someone made cookies.

Advice to Management

Make the information shared during intern training accessible in a digital form. I missed a few days and definitely missed some cool opportunities (like the individual research projects and access to Rosetta Stone) because of it.

7. Summer Internship at GlobalGiving

Current Employee - Strategic Partner in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Strategic Partner in Washington, DC

I have been working at GlobalGiving (Less than a year)

Pros

GlobalGiving is an amazing organization. I have had several internships with other nonprofits, and they were all more or less flaky... GlobalGiving is a very professional organizations that takes its interns seriously. I felt like I was part of the team. - Beautiful office in a great location - Great staff - Very professional

Cons

My experience was great. I do not see any cons. It is the best nonprofit I could have ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Thank you for caring for your interns. I am confident GlobalGiving is going down the right path.

8. Listen, act, learn. Repeat?

Current Employee - Program Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at GlobalGiving part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I first started, one of my bosses looked me in the eye and told me that this would be unlike any internship I would experience. Of course she was completely correct. The experiences gained here are unlike anything I had been exposed to professionally before. The staff here recognized that and made sure that I was never lost. They were supportive of my ideas and truly did want to know what I had to say. If I had an idea or wanted to try something, they said yes, and actually valued my ideas and input. I felt needed and most importantly, I felt wanted. I cannot say how much that meant. Another thing is that GlobalGiving provides its interns with professional development tools and encourages them to participate in all the staff meetings and events. I got to experience the ebb and flow of a growing and succeeding non-profit. I learned how to recognize my skills, and capitalize on them.

Cons

Well, obviously the fact that it is an unpaid position is less than ideal, but that aside I only have a few suggestions. There is a GlobalGiving language and there isn't really a great dictionary. Being an online org, there are many tools for metrics, volume, organizing, and just general operations. You are pretty thrust into it all with the expectation that you pick up the jargon along the way. It is very difficult to try and have a conversation about something very specific that has an even more specific name. I felt it sometimes limited my ability to act quickly and know the best way to do something.

Advice to Management

There were times, when getting adjusted to the work, that I was supposed to be using tools that I actually had no idea how to use. I could usually access my supervisor, but sometimes I just remained lost, that was a little discouraging. You had us go through about a week and a half of training sessions, these were tedious and difficult to maintain attention. I get that it is necessary, but I think it could be consolidated more. Maybe, take all of the platforms you use (7geese, optimizely, salesforce, etc.) and explain their exact function and which teams and people will use them most. Also, I would consider making team divides a little more transcendent. While GG did a great job offering cross-team projects to interns, I felt it difficult to get an individual project started. Mostly because I didn't know what the biggest need was and secondly because I didn't know who to interact with.

Jul 1, 2015 – Chief Product Officer

Based on this and other feedback, we've revamped the training process to try to consolidate it more. We've also made some changes to our internship program and migrated to a year-long Fellowship ... More

9. Incredibly rewarding internship experience at GlobalGiving.

Current Employee - Program Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at GlobalGiving full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GlobalGiving staff are the best of the best. Working at this organization was a pleasure each day to be around such intelligent, forward-thinking, innovative, and passionate colleagues. They truly embody GG's core values: always open, committed to wow, never settle, listen/act/learn/repeat. As for being an intern, the staff really took the time to invest in training our cohort for success through a comprehensive orientation and ongoing learning opportunities (brown bags, special events, film screenings, etc.). Interns were given meaningful projects and played important roles in facilitating the smooth-running of GlobalGiving. I helped amazing people around the world to fund their incredible projects--an experience I will never forget!

Cons

The only downside is this is an unpaid internship.

Advice to Management

I am so grateful for my experience at GlobalGiving and I really commend the management (and all staff members) for creating such a unique work culture. It's unlike anything else and I feel lucky to have been a part of it for a short time. My only suggestion would be to see if in the future you could arrange room in the budget for some type of small stipend for full-time interns. They really play important roles in helping to keep GlobalGiving up and running smoothly. It might be a greater incentive for applicants who'd love to work with the organization but cannot financially do so without pay.

Jul 1, 2015 – Chief Product Officer

We've heard you loud and clear and in 2015 launched a Fellowship program to address these concerns.

10. Heart is warmed daily

Pros

You're helping make real change happen. All over the world. Daily you read/hear heartwarming stories from the GlobalGiving community. You'll learn all about international grantmaking and social innovation. You'll learn about experimenting and failing gracefully and trying again. You'll work with kind, generous, and intelligent coworkers who will become like family to you.

Cons

Passion for the cause leads to the desire to burn the candle at both ends. As at many cause-related nonprofits, it's easy to work long and hard hours. Work/life balance is encouraged, but you have to be good about maintaining it yourself, too.

Advice to Management

Keep the family feeling as GG grows.

11. Work Environment

Pros

Very Positive and staffs are very helpful and fexible

Cons

There is no negative comments

Advice to Management

None

RSS Feed </> Embed