GlobalGiving

www.globalgiving.org

GlobalGiving Reviews

Updated Jun 8, 2014

Not yet rated.

Amazing opportunity to build my skills and advance my career.

Partner Services Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsInterning at GlobalGiving truly makes you a part of the team. Not only do you have access to all the free soda and coffee but you also have access to the wealth of knowledge that GG employees have. My internship was not wasted on meaningless tasks, but rather I played an integral part of my team reviewing applications. Additionally, I was able to design and employ my own personal research project to help GG move forward and stay innovative.

ConsThe only con of interning at GlobalGiving: it goes by way too fast. Unfortunately, they do not currently have a lot of job openings so I will have to return to the job search in hopes of finding a place half as open and inspiring as GlobalGiving.

GlobalGiving Chief Product Officer responded to this review

May 7, 2014

We wish we could hire all of our interns, but alas, we don't have job openings often. If you see one, please do apply!

Amazing internship experience!

Program Intern (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGlobalGiving is truly an amazing organization to work at. The work environment is very open and fosters teamwork and innovation. GlobalGiving truly lives up to their core values—always open, LALR (listen, act, learn and repeat), commitment to WOW, and never settle. Because of their commitment to all their core values, GlobalGiving embraces their interns and provides an internship experience that’s meaningful and promotes professional and personal growth, inviting interns to take their own initiative to challenge existing procedures and propose their own solutions.

ConsThe compensation and time commitment was not the best. Working 24 hours a week and getting only $45 in transportation stipend is hard for college students, but I think the experiences gained from interning here helps to make up the cost.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore brown bag opportunities would be great! So many people from various organizations visit the office, and it would be nice to have a lunch or informal meeting where they could talk about the work they do as a partner organization or as an organization that does similar work to GlobalGiving so we can learn more about development and/or online fundraising from a different perspective.

GlobalGiving Chief Product Officer responded to this review

May 7, 2014

Thanks for the feedback!

Best decision of my life!

Partner Services Team Intern (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIt is a great place to be. Everything and everyone are so opened to talk, to help or to teach. I came as an intern, but I left as a member of a tight–knit community I will always belong to. My work was really meaningful, half of it were standard assignments as in any job, but it was awesome! The other half was the best part for me. I was asked to work on an individual project that had only one rule: "How will it make GlobalGiving better?" ..... This was a real challenge for me. This was the moment when I had the opportunity to display my skills and creativity to show how good I am and prove that I can really contribute! The best part of it is that I was given the opportunity to present the results to the whole staff and Executive Team. This was my chance to give them feedback and share my thoughts. It was the moment to ask them challenging questions. It was the moment when I showed them that they made the right choice accepting me as an intern! That was the moment when I left my own legacy!!! My whole GlobalGiving internship has been the best experience of my life! And having an opportunity to discuss important issues with the management team and my supervisors, and learn from them as well, is an experience that I will never forget!

I learned so much from my colleagues and supervisors in the Partner Services Team that I will always miss them. They were the main reason why this experience was great!

Yes, it is an unpaid internship,but the experiences, learning, VALUES, and friends that I'm taking with me are worth much more than any compensation I could have gotten. I will always share my GlobalGiving experience with pride!!!

ConsThere are no cons at all!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work talking, listening, and giving advice to interns! We appreciate it now and will do so in the future! Staff meetings, ice cream parties, culture, and work where amazing! Thank you for always being open, and for making me part of the team! Keep making the world a better place to live in! GO GLOBALGIVING!!!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Listen, act, learn. Repeat?

Program Intern (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWhen I first started, one of my bosses looked me in the eye and told me that this would be unlike any internship I would experience. Of course she was completely correct. The experiences gained here are unlike anything I had been exposed to professionally before. The staff here recognized that and made sure that I was never lost. They were supportive of my ideas and truly did want to know what I had to say. If I had an idea or wanted to try something, they said yes, and actually valued my ideas and input. I felt needed and most importantly, I felt wanted. I cannot say how much that meant.
    Another thing is that GlobalGiving provides its interns with professional development tools and encourages them to participate in all the staff meetings and events.
    I got to experience the ebb and flow of a growing and succeeding non-profit. I learned how to recognize my skills, and capitalize on them.

ConsWell, obviously the fact that it is an unpaid position is less than ideal, but that aside I only have a few suggestions. There is a GlobalGiving language and there isn't really a great dictionary. Being an online org, there are many tools for metrics, volume, organizing, and just general operations. You are pretty thrust into it all with the expectation that you pick up the jargon along the way. It is very difficult to try and have a conversation about something very specific that has an even more specific name. I felt it sometimes limited my ability to act quickly and know the best way to do something.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere were times, when getting adjusted to the work, that I was supposed to be using tools that I actually had no idea how to use. I could usually access my supervisor, but sometimes I just remained lost, that was a little discouraging. You had us go through about a week and a half of training sessions, these were tedious and difficult to maintain attention. I get that it is necessary, but I think it could be consolidated more.
    Maybe, take all of the platforms you use (7geese, optimizely, salesforce, etc.) and explain their exact function and which teams and people will use them most.
    Also, I would consider making team divides a little more transcendent. While GG did a great job offering cross-team projects to interns, I felt it difficult to get an individual project started. Mostly because I didn't know what the biggest need was and secondly because I didn't know who to interact with.

Fantastic Organization

Projects Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGlobalGiving unites donors and nonprofits by creating a virtual marketplace for charities. It is committed continuous improvement, experimentation, and growth. Managers solicit feedback early and often and are interested in what you think. It's a fantastic working environment with space for employees to be entrepreneurial and to learn. GlobalGiving teaches employees what it really means to be customer-focused and transparent. is I loved my time at GlobalGiving.

ConsInternships have been unpaid, which means that interns need to secure additional funding -- whether through borrowing from their futures by taking out additional loans, borrowing from their parents or loved ones, drawing down savings, or working a second job. Nonprofits everywhere face downward pressure in regards to labor compensation, and this one is no different. Additionally, it is not likely that interns will transition to full-time employment. Graduate students might want to consider interning somewhere with more room for career advancement.

An extremely valuable internship experience at GlobalGiving

Partner Services Team Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsInterning at GlobalGiving was such a positive experience for me. This is an organization that embodies their values of "Always Open", "Never Settle", "Listen, Act, Learn. Repeat." and "Committed to WOW" exceptionally. I was given real work and responsibility, which as an intern isn't always the case, and felt like I contributed to my team in a meaningful way. The office atmosphere is open and fun due to everyone's enthusiasm, but also extremely productive as everyone here works with passion and drive. I left my internship having developed many new skills and truly satisfied with my time spent at GlobalGiving.

ConsOne of the downsides to this internship is that it is unpaid. However, they do offer a monthly stipend of $45 for travel expenses which I found very helpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to integrate interns quickly at the beginning of each internship, perhaps putting together an office lunch or happy hour would help interns get to know the full-time staff better from the get-go.

Incredibly rewarding internship experience at GlobalGiving.

Program Intern (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGlobalGiving staff are the best of the best. Working at this organization was a pleasure each day to be around such intelligent, forward-thinking, innovative, and passionate colleagues. They truly embody GG's core values: always open, committed to wow, never settle, listen/act/learn/repeat. As for being an intern, the staff really took the time to invest in training our cohort for success through a comprehensive orientation and ongoing learning opportunities (brown bags, special events, film screenings, etc.). Interns were given meaningful projects and played important roles in facilitating the smooth-running of GlobalGiving. I helped amazing people around the world to fund their incredible projects--an experience I will never forget!

ConsThe only downside is this is an unpaid internship.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am so grateful for my experience at GlobalGiving and I really commend the management (and all staff members) for creating such a unique work culture. It's unlike anything else and I feel lucky to have been a part of it for a short time. My only suggestion would be to see if in the future you could arrange room in the budget for some type of small stipend for full-time interns. They really play important roles in helping to keep GlobalGiving up and running smoothly. It might be a greater incentive for applicants who'd love to work with the organization but cannot financially do so without pay.

An incredible experience with brilliant workers

Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAwesome, tight-knit culture. Lots of communication and endless contacts in the ID world. Easy access to management.

ConsLittle compensation for interns though they are vital for the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementSubsidize internships more to make positions attractive.

Best Internship Out There

Partner Services Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Proseven as an intern I was included in every meeting, opportunity for individual projects, great orientation process, everyone was willing to help us learn

Consa lot of work so we were always really busy - but also a good thing because I learned a ton

Advice to Senior ManagementI really loved working here and would highly recommend GlobalGiving both as a place to donate to small nonprofits, but also as an awesome work environment. please don't ever stop offering internships!

Life-changing work--for you and the people you're working with

Project Team Assistant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Pros1) The happiest place I've ever worked
    2) Responsibilities are guided by deeper values that make work gratifying
    3) Incredibly smart group of people--eager to learn at every opportunity
    4) Management is open and flexible
    5) Great opportunities to network with other nonprofits & corporations
    6) You will make friends here

Cons1) Office design is "open" (no walls). This speeds up communication and allows you to make friends more quickly. Some people prefer a set-up with more privacy and alone time. At GlobalGiving, these people work away from their desks when jobs require more focus.

Worked for GlobalGiving? Contribute to the Community!