Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company

Updated November 8, 2014
Updated November 8, 2014
2.6

Charles F. Hudson

Low pay but great place to work

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers , low turn over, the manager directly over me is fantastic, interesting work, stable employment

Cons

very low pay per industry standard, not so hot benefit package, $100.00 per month PER child for health insurance, no true advancement opportunities, some employees have worked there six years without a raise

Our main manager has promised a review of our positions for reclassification for salary increases and it has never happened, take value in your seasoned employees with proper compensation and review your benefit package

"Good place for people who just need a job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in McKinney, TX

I worked at Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers were pleasant, the only positive for me.

Cons

Micromanaged, low pay, poor management.

Your employees are human, treat them that way.

Opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is what you make it. Hard and smart work is rewarded. You don't have to have a college degree to be promoted.

Cons

The company hasn't traditionally been quick to embrace expensive new technology. This is really typical of the insurance industry, not just this company.

Lack of 21st Century Leadership

Former Employee - Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is easy to move up
    Working downtown
    Steady stock
    401k option

Cons

Very little work/life balance. 65-70+ hours every week and 7 days a week can become common. This included working through the holidays, and management refusing to close the company when we got hit with the first major OK blizzard. They let us go after the work was done and didn't care we were stranded in a huge snow storm.

Poor treatment of employees. Not much time or money is allotted to training. Nothing in the way of bonuses unfortunately, you get one a year and it's 25 bucks on Christmas. 10 cent raises on your yearly review are very common.

Huge turnover.

Unprofressional culture. It is not uncommon to hear employees bash each other, gossip, and upper management bashing lower management.

Technology. They order the bare basics of all software which causes tons of additional man hours to do work that could easily be done through one time purchases of software. Think Open Office, Doc Matrix printers, and Windows 95 or XP.

Poor health insurance.

It's time to be more strict and demanding of your higher level leadership, and implement more friendly worker policies to encourage better employees. Spend more to make more.

In transition - look elsewhere.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in McKinney, TX

I worked at Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You're guaranteed to work 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, no earlier than 7:30am, until no later than 5:30pm. Dental benefits are decent. The supervisors and lower level managers put in a lot of effort to make it a decent place to work.

Cons

Director level management is making wide scale and questionable changes to the entire customer service department.

The entire department has seen their pay decrease anywhere from 20% to, in some extreme cases, 60%. Pay is a piece rate, pay-per-performance structure that is pays based on the number of calls you take. Management has implemented numerous changes to arbitrarily increase call times.

Management closely monitors bathroom and break activity, giving the department a "big brother" feel.

There is very little incentive to do good, other than fear for your job.

Company offers no support for serious illness, and has been known to terminate people for attendance because of their hospitalizations.

Human Resources is hostile - they serve simply as a vessel for hiring and firing within the company.

The nature of the work is very exhausting - the calls that are taken are from customers, usually wishing to make changes or payments to their life insurance policies. Many of them are hostile.

Read this article.

It's a job

Current Employee - Conservation in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Conservation in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only reason to work there is to pay bills

Cons

When you find out how a lot of the policy holders are really treated.

Train people better, especially CSR.

Do not care about their employees.

Former Employee - Premium Accounting Exceptions Clerk in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Premium Accounting Exceptions Clerk in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Work wasn't difficult and sometimes fun

Cons

Made me do someone else's job plus my own with no raise
    Expected employees to be able to work OT with only a few hours notice
    Pay not great
    Insurance plans offered are expensive
    Will fire people based on hearsay without investigating (happened to two people I know at least, maybe more)

Production is important but you need to act like you care about your employees at least a little bit.

A nice part time job with consistent hours and time to balance with your personal life.

Current Employee - PT Conservation Representative in McKinney, TX
    Current Employee - PT Conservation Representative in McKinney, TX

I have been working at Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company

Pros

Better pay for a part-time job that doesn't require you to be on your feet all day (aka; retail hell). I used to work at GAP for $8.50 an hour, only like three scheduled shifts a week plus sales requirements were a bit demanding considering the economy so the hourly pay at Globe plus the bonus-per-save for a 16-hour week was pretty nice.

Hours were consistent; I didn't have to worry about changing anything around as my schedule was the same every week. Good to balance work and personal life.

Management helpful and nice, listens to suggestions made by employees. A nice work environment.

Cons

Not many opportunities to move from part-time to full-time unless they are really need full-time positions filled. Otherwise, you're pretty much stuck working PT. No benefits of any sort for PT workers.

By itself, the job doesn't support me financially. Many people who work here have day jobs; I know a few people with three jobs including this one.

As a conservation rep I didn't have too much knowledge of the insurance policies themselves so I feel bad sometimes for not being able to answer a customer's questions. When people call a company they expect answers right away.

Somehow it came off that there was not enough steady communication between the different departments. I would get a few inbound calls from customers saying that they paid and they had spoke to a rep who told them this or that, and then somehow the payment didn't show through, or there was no follow up...?

Supply your staff with more knowledge, especially the evening team, so that customers don't have to keep calling back. Better communication between departments so as not to confuse customers.

A interesting company to work for that provided a new look at the insurance industry I hadn't known before.

Former Employee - Data Entry Associate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Data Entry Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company

Pros

Good Pay
    Normal Business Hours
    Weekends off most of the time
    Laid back atmosphere
    Diverse workforce
    Multiple departments
    Job opportunities from within company
    Potential for Overtime

Cons

Work can be extremely repetitive
    Workplace environment could use updating visually speaking
    Lack of work may require you to leave work early

My feedback deals with the pay structure. When I was hired it was a set amount with raises but a couple years in they just changed it to a base amount with potential to earn more based on the amount of keystrokes per hour. Thus, more KSPH the more you could make. I didn't like that as the raises I was provided were eliminated and my pay reverted back to where I started. They should have just grandfathered current employees or given them a choice as to which system they preferred.