Globe Pequot

www.globepequot.com

Globe Pequot Reviews

Updated Mar 29, 2014
Globe Pequot – Guilford – “Great view of large pond from building”

Jim Joseph

Headed downhill

Acquisitions Editor (Former Employee) Guilford, CT

ProsGreat people
    Lots of opportunities to make a difference, take on responsibility
    Very nice town

ConsSalary is embarrassingly low
    No annual reviews or salary increases for last 6 years
    Corporate office talking about selling or closing
    Cost of living is expensive
    Morale is very low and everyone's on the job market
    Book budgets are low

Advice to Senior ManagementBe upfront about transition decisions so employees can find another job

The people are great to work with, but Morris management has abused their employee relationship with no raises for 6 yrs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful working environment, casual dress, easy to work with employees. A lot of great creativity in the Design and Production Departments

ConsThere have been no raises for 6 years, nor any compensation or offers to help boost employee morale. I was making less when I left than when I started. Morris is behind the times when most companies have brought their pay scales back up to par. Morale was going down hill when I left, can't image what it is like now, especially since there is a pending sale. Was to be sold to Ingram last year, but Morris management pulled out at the last minute and the Globe president resigned. Hope Globe gets away from Morris as they have not supported the company the way it should have and more so, the devoted people working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to the Morris management would be, if they keep the company, to bring these devoted workers pay scales up to where they should be. You have taken unfair advantage of them far to long.

Globe is a great company that really cares about their employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Guilford, CT

ProsAs a freelancer for 6 months it was a very casual and pleasant work environment. They had the latest programs and Mac computers. They set me up with a new Mac when I arrived. Most employees were very friendly. There were many fun Friday special events like free pizza, salad and ice cream, international food day, chocolate fountain, and healthy green juice day! My boss was easy going and nice to work with. As a freelancer the hours were up to me. The hours were M-F come in when you want leave when you want. It was up to the freelancer how much they wanted to make.

ConsThe pay for freelancers wasn't as good as I expected for an experienced production artist. It was at the low end, entry-level. Though, it was a decent amount for me, some people would be very unsatisfied. Of course, no benefits for free-lancers. When the tax season came around I got slammed with a big tax bill. When the project was over, that was it. They did notify me 2 weeks before it was ending which was nice of them.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you get a freelancer that does a good job and is very enthusiastic, quiet and friendly you should give them a chance and make them full-time. Why do you let good people go and keep people that are fooling around on the job talking all day, drawing pictures on their iphones, making noises, are constantly sick or are talking on their iphones in the office.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work - very smart and dedicated workers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Guilford, CT

Prosthe work itself and opportunites to make a difference

ConsGlobe is a great place to work - i would like a better benefit program

You know it must be a great job when you work for this salary

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Guilford, CT

ProsWork is highly fulfilling
    Great group of people, including senior management
    Lots of opportunities for advancement
    Casual dress code
    1 half day Friday per month
    Guilford is a safe and attractive small town

ConsSalary is well under national average
    Benefits aren't great
    Struggling industry
    Workload is stressful (staff is very lean)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the talent with incentives, like salary increases (even if they are small)

A place where you can do what you love and love what you do

Assistant Project Manager (Current Employee) Guilford, CT

ProsI get the opportunity to take on a lot of responsibility and work on projects I'm passionate about. The challenges and payoffs are well balanced and good motivators. The reputation of the company is growing and looks like it will continue to grow. The general atmosphere is positive; most people have a can-do attitude and work very hard. Although some may over-commit, it is very possible to work 9-5 and balance your home life. Guilford is a gorgeous town in which to work and live.

ConsThe pay is low at lower levels and management is very reluctant to negotiate. Benefits could be better. People aren't always compensated fairly, since many put in a great deal of work without a lot of reward.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement would have a better idea of general morale and ideas if they asked for more input from employees.

Great for individual self-starters

ProsGreat town setting, often room for one to contribute towards operations and the way things work. PLENTY of room to take initiative in the company! The nice thing is that if you have a great idea, it is often recognized and adopted...if there's a venue for you to express it. If you need training and nurturing, it might not be the place for you. A good place for publishing professionals with experience-you can contribute a lot to the output of the company.

Cons-Lack of structure, leadership and trainging in some departments
    -Very little redundancy in positions...don't expect anyone to cover for you
    -Busy, busy! Feel-good employee celebrations or perks are few and far between

Advice to Senior ManagementWell, leadership would be great! More hands in operations, manufacturing, warehouse management, keeping popular books in stock would really help. There's a lot of talent at the company...be sure to include them in decision-making!

Worked for Globe Pequot? Contribute to the Community!