Globe University

Updated November 8, 2014
Updated November 8, 2014
3.3

CEO

The organization truly cares about its employees, students, and the community.

I have been working at Globe University

Pros

Leadership does value loyalty and hard work. There is flexibility here that would not be available at other organizations.

Cons

There is a top-down mentality that creates a negative atmosphere for some employees.

Good employer yet hard to move up.

I worked at Globe University

Pros

Work was standard college and you learn a lot.

Cons

Too much nepotism. Had to know the family to move up.

Corporate Education Not at Its Finest

Current Employee - Campus Librarian
    Current Employee - Campus Librarian

I have been working at Globe University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Globe is a student focused university, as it should be, however, the staff provides the experience for the students and staff are treated as though they are tolerated, not appreciated. It is run as a corporation, which means too many meanings with a vague purpose, many mandates sent from the executives, and little recognition for a job well done. However, the student/teacher ratio is low, which allows for a strong community amongst students and warm friendships with staff and faculty.

Cons

Meetings and events are mandatory for full time staff and scheduled outside of normal school/work schedules, which means staff is expected to attend during what should be personal/home time, this is a negative when reviewing work/home balance. The office culture is not collegial, staff are segregated by department with little crossover. Corporate policy is created and passed down from the administration, not by those who work with students. Many policies are contradictory or useless in an educational setting. Compensation is laughably low and the benefits are standard at best. No effort is put into retaining employees or creating company loyalty. The turnover is very high, which is a poor strategy for students.

Pay wages that are at least at industry standard, and value employees higher to create a strong staff and faculty with less turnover. Fewer meetings, allowing staff and faculty to focus on their jobs instead of on corporate busywork.

Lots of Opportunity

I have been working at Globe University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working with the students every day, being part of a team that all have a common goal, learning new things, being able to take classes for free as an employee, lots of awesome perks within the community (concert tickets, special events, etc). Training processes are also great.

Cons

Occasional nepotism from within the company, as far as hiring goes. Salaries should also be higher so they can maintain talent. The turn-over is high due to not enough compensation for employees that excel.

Pay attention to who is making you your money. They will leave if you don't reward them, and I'm not talking about a pat on the head and a certificate to hang on the wall. People like working for you, but they also have to pay bills.

Could be great

Former Employee - Faculty in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Faculty in Richfield, MN

I worked at Globe University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people in the classrooms are truly trying to make a difference

Cons

Upper management is weak. There is no clear leadership and they nickel and dime employees and don't treat them as if they are in academics.

Get outside help and qualified people in leadership roles.

Been around for 130 years

Current Employee - Admissions Representative
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative

I have been working at Globe University (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of autonomy in career. You either sink or swim on your own merits.

Cons

Not a lot of room to advance

Adjunct Professor

I worked at Globe University as a contractor

Pros

Focused on delivering high quality and rigorous curriculum to a diverse population of adult learners.

Cons

Compensation is a bit lower per class than other universities in the area; however this is a minor issue when teaching is your vocation.

Love/hate relationship

I have been working at Globe University

Pros

Great coworkers, good location, independence, joy of sharing your knowledge with students

Cons

Terrible management, poor compensation for amount of work put in, severely profit driven.
    Students that obviously cannot succeed are encouraged to take loans and attend school there. They end up worse off.

Students and teachers should be your main focus, not profit. Good, well payed teachers will bring in students and provide an education the school can be proud of. Spend less $$ on admissions and more on teachers.

My brief time as an Adjunct Instructor (just one quarter) was enjoyable, and the students and staff were great!

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Onalaska, WI
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Onalaska, WI

I have been working at Globe University part-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is just a great learning environment. Globe teaches practical skills that students can use right away in their field. The instructors I got to know in my short time there were outstanding people.

Cons

I had no problems working here!

I had to leave the Onalaska campus and move to Madison, and I was disappointed when I didn't hear back from the Madison campuses once I moved to town.

Could be better

I have been working at Globe University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with great people that are passionate about education. Campus culture is fantastic, the leadership team is great. Truly care about the student experience. The majority of the teachers are hard working, tech savvy and do everything to bring the best experience to the the students.

Cons

The family that owns the company is ridiculous. They have no transparency with the numbers so campuses don't really even know if they are making money or not. They refuse to close campuses that are struggling because they are also in the real estate business. They don't carry the "we care" mission over to the hard working people that work for them.

Pay your employees what they are worth and stop asking people to do more and more and not pay them fairly. Lower the tuition so you can compete with the other for profits in the area. You will not get a rise in enrollments when they can get the same thing somewhere else for half the price. We are better than the other schools and people will pay a little more for that, but the huge difference in price is not worth the extra costumer service.