Globys Reviews

3.6
Derek Edwards

1. Great Place to Be

I have been working at Globys

Pros

I have worked for large and small companies and Globys is a great small company to work for. Why?

Providing solutions to large companies that keep us on our toes - "bored" isn't part of the Globys vocabulary
    People are great - smart, dedicated, accountable, engaged
    Work environment is excellent - healthy snacks, pub where people actually hangout and talk to one another
    Challenging Work - Huge opportunity ahead with a capable team to roll up sleeves and tackle the job.

Cons

There aren't many. The team is well-respected at all levels and making good progress towards common goals. I could nit pick about little things but no company is perfect. I'll take this opportunity not to sweat the small stuff.

2. Best place I've worked

I have been working at Globys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Globys a couple years and it is the best experience I've had in over 15 years compared to all the other companies I have worked at. The pro's outweigh the cons significantly, so while it's not a perfect company it's perfect for me. Great team work and collaboration. Smart, dedicated people. Leadership is engaged and committed. Opportunities for growth are good. Clients are generally pleased with our products and services. Great location and office space.

Cons

Global client base results in challenges at times especially regarding "world clock" support which can require some extra evenings or weekends, but that is also offset by the fact it is interesting working with other cultures. Progress on new product has been slower than ideal, however there is renewed focus and investment in this area.

3. Challenging

Current Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Globys full-time

Pros

Great developers and good people

Cons

Project management, Product management, scrum lite

Nice people. Executive team has strategy issues.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Globys full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice people that are easy to work with.

Cons

Since this is a small company. The financial status is not always pleasant.

Get rid of the SVP that only knows show-off but has no productivity. You know who I am talking about.

Slow Motion Train Wreck

Former Employee - Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Globys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Globys recognizes that the current course is a recipe for disaster and is making some corrections to get out of the hole they're in. Some of the people here are very smart. and most are very nice.

Cons

There are a few opportunities at Globys for devs to work on cool stuff, but most of the job opportunities are a career dead-end. Globys stopped being a software company long ago. and has evolved into a Professional Services and Consulting company. Unfortunately, grafting one-off solutions onto an and old product is at best treading water.

When I was hired, I was promised that I would not need to be on call. That turned out to be untrue. I was told various other things that turned out to be inaccurate.

The cash cow has the kind of cruft that builds up over a dozen years of patchwork development in an obsolete technology. Over the years, employee churn has been a major problem

The people who are most optimistic about the future of the company have the least knowledge about the technical underpinnings that support their optimism.

Globys could get lucky if the Contextual Marketing project takes off, otherwise the future looks bleak. I know you take pride in always operating in the black, but you really do need to spend money to make money, Start investing in the future.

Focused on finding great people

Current Employee - Recruitment in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Recruitment in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Globys full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There's a very strong focus from all levels to hire great people. The atmosphere is casual and friendly - everyone seems to get along and work well together. There's good opportunity for career progression and everyone is working towards the same goals. Well-stocked cafe/lunch room with video games!

Cons

We can be very picky during the hiring process, and not a lot of entry-level opportunities lately. Still working out some of the kinks in our processes...

New location, new mindset?

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Globys full-time

Pros

The people are nice, and there are some genuinely smart people here.

The company is trying to move forward. There is an acknowledgement that the old reliance on death marches to keep up with unrealistic customer expectations only leads to burnout and churn; so there is a new attempt to keep a work-life balance.

There is interesting work to do, and there seems to be plenty of opportunities. The company knows that they have significant technical debt to overcome, and that has made them receptive to change.

We have recently moved to a new location at 705 Union Square (near 5th and Jackson) so the public transportation and lunch options are much better than at the old spot on the ship canal.

Cons

The legacy code is a mess. Plenty of the core product still lives in the land of VB6 and old-school ASP. Even the C# code can have its share of problems, depending on the author. I haven't looked at the Java codebase yet. The build system is a mess, with only a few automated builds.

1. Your eyes are bigger than your stomach. Focus on what you can do.
    2. Invest in your employees and infrastructure. If you want big things they can't come from nowhere.

Great technologies and products in high-growth mobile space. Cool culture, small company feel!

I have been working at Globys

Pros

Company has a great culture: eg. employees are helpful to new hires, minimal politics, collaborative environment and small company feel. Interesting technologies and products in the high-growth mobile analytics space.

Cons

Location not very convenient for public transport and office is currently a bit small. Carrier business has relatively long sales cycle and large deployment effort.

Move to a more easy-to-access location. Remember to retain/preserve culture while growing business, and devote a bit more time on outreach programs to increase awareness of company.

I hadn't even heard of them before and then wow I found out about an awesome business and team!

I have been working at Globys

Pros

- Close knit team, working hard but taking time to joke around and keep the tone fun.
    - Really smart people, don't seem to be compromising on the kind of talent we recruit
    - It's fun to see the business really taking off now in such a hot field and direction, it's good for my resume!

Cons

- Current workspace is in a weird place and we're running out of space. I just heard we are moving to an Ex-Amazon building so that will be much better.

The website and social media efforts need to be implemented now. We have alot of be proud of but you can't really tell from our outdated website.

Nice people, but ability & delivery not so great.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Globys

Pros

Employees really nice and seem to care about co-workers.

The offices are nice, right on the ship canal.

Many of the old-timers seem to have a great work-life balance.

Cons

// legacy product, the new contextual marketing side may be different.

Code is a mess, and management doesn't want to invest to update.

The sales side sell unrealistically wrt how long work is going to take, lead to ongoing death marches.

The company is full of process and nothing gets done without a trail of paperwork. That feeds back into death marches and becomes even worse when client feedback takes days to reach you. Then the bug is not clear yet management expects a fix overnight. Of course the fix is wrong because the feedback was not understood, so loop back to the start...

If you are used to working on a team where everyone pitches in & is proud of shipping high quality code on time, Globys will come as a shock. Lots of folk once their 8 hours are in go dark till the next morning. Very frustrating when you are the one holding the can trying to understand the fix and working all weekend to get it done. Nice people, but not the standard I am used to in the area.

Invest some time in modernizing your code & practices. Prune some of the old wood away, hire devs who think outside the box & give them the freedom to do so. Stop the death marches & unrealistic customer expectation.