Globys Reviews

3.3
Derek Edwards

1. Great product Great people

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Globys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture - Folks are laid back, work-life balance is great in the engineering team, flexible work hours and allows WFH when required. Great product - Company investing in building new product in the latest technologies. A relatively clear roadmap of feature-work. Great location - Its above intl' /chinatown district transit station in Seattle.

Cons

Salary less than what you're value is in the software market Career development path unclear Job titles don't mean much. They are stale. They may not reflect your compensation-range or even your actual job responsibilities. Turnover high at a leadership level (engineering team)

Advice to Management

Revisit job titles\ invest in defining career-growth paths for employees\ revisit salaries of current employees

Hit and Miss

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Globys (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a handful of nice and talented people who work here, who are genuinely interested in building a solid, respectable and respected product...

Cons

...unfortunately, none of them are in charge. Middle and upper management lack any vision, nor have they proven any ability to plan beyond the next contract cycle. They claim to have been in the industry for 15 years, but still handle finances and investment in employees like a dot-com just after the bubble burst. Most, but not all, of the quality employees either burnt out or were forced out by the revolving door hiring/firing of development managers. A good portion of what remains either have no choice, or make so much more than the same-titled person sitting next to them, they would be a fool to leave. It all depends where in the contract cycle they were hired. Lastly, the overly positive feedback above and below here is almost certainly the work of Globys's inhouse recruiting/PR company. Take it with a grain of salt.

Advice to Management

Clearly, no one can tell you anything, or you would be measuring your success in miles instead of inches. Your product has potential, but it's going to take some time and some money well-spent on talent who has a new vision. You rely far too much on the long-term employees, which you should have systematically dropped shortly after you dropped the Callvision name.

3. Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Globys full-time

Pros

The "worker bee" level at Globys is fantastic. Smart, great people to work with.

Cons

It's a bit of an "us" vs "them" culture between the executive/leadership teams and everyone else. As long as someone is in agreement with what those teams decide, all is well. If any disagreement is voiced, it is considered either lack of knowledge or sour grapes by the dissenter. The CEO can very abusive in meetings. This is an accepted thing in the company and no one calls him out on it. The company is has a dollar first attitude. All decisions are made based on getting the sale right now with little concern for how it will affect relationships with our customers down the road.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the groundswell of dissatisfaction that is happening in the company.

5. Unimpressed

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Globys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people on the team I worked on. Nice location if you like working downtown. Contextual marketing is the golden child so if you work on that team it's better.

Cons

Management doesn't care what it takes to develop decent software. Way too high of dev manager turn over. 3 managers and the VP of engineering quit or were let go in less than 6 months last summer. Lack of foresight killed some impressive plans for a new product. For a big data company, resources to handle moderate test data was hard to come by.

Advice to Management

Hire some managers that know what they are doing and then listen to them. Driving them off mid project should be a red flag but upper management doesn't comprehend that. Upper management is out of touch with actual software development. Actually know what you want to build before you start coding.

6. It's ok

I have been working at Globys full-time

Pros

People you work with are smart and nice.

Cons

It's not very clear what the direction and goals of the company are. They keep changing very often and the employees aren't always in the know.

Great Place to Be

Pros

I have worked for large and small companies and Globys is a great small company to work for. Why? Providing solutions to large companies that keep us on our toes - "bored" isn't part of the Globys vocabulary People are great - smart, dedicated, accountable, engaged Work environment is excellent - healthy snacks, pub where people actually hangout and talk to one another Challenging Work - Huge opportunity ahead with a capable team to roll up sleeves and tackle the job.

Cons

There aren't many. The team is well-respected at all levels and making good progress towards common goals. I could nit pick about little things but no company is perfect. I'll take this opportunity not to sweat the small stuff.

8. Best place I've worked

I have been working at Globys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Globys a couple years and it is the best experience I've had in over 15 years compared to all the other companies I have worked at. The pro's outweigh the cons significantly, so while it's not a perfect company it's perfect for me. Great team work and collaboration. Smart, dedicated people. Leadership is engaged and committed. Opportunities for growth are good. Clients are generally pleased with our products and services. Great location and office space.

Cons

Global client base results in challenges at times especially regarding "world clock" support which can require some extra evenings or weekends, but that is also offset by the fact it is interesting working with other cultures. Progress on new product has been slower than ideal, however there is renewed focus and investment in this area.

9. Challenging

Current Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Globys full-time

Pros

Great developers and good people

Cons

Project management, Product management, scrum lite

Nice people. Executive team has strategy issues.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Globys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people that are easy to work with.

Cons

Since this is a small company. The financial status is not always pleasant.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the SVP that only knows show-off but has no productivity. You know who I am talking about.

Slow Motion Train Wreck

Former Employee - Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Globys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Globys recognizes that the current course is a recipe for disaster and is making some corrections to get out of the hole they're in. Some of the people here are very smart. and most are very nice.

Cons

There are a few opportunities at Globys for devs to work on cool stuff, but most of the job opportunities are a career dead-end. Globys stopped being a software company long ago. and has evolved into a Professional Services and Consulting company. Unfortunately, grafting one-off solutions onto an and old product is at best treading water. When I was hired, I was promised that I would not need to be on call. That turned out to be untrue. I was told various other things that turned out to be inaccurate. The cash cow has the kind of cruft that builds up over a dozen years of patchwork development in an obsolete technology. Over the years, employee churn has been a major problem The people who are most optimistic about the future of the company have the least knowledge about the technical underpinnings that support their optimism.

Advice to Management

Globys could get lucky if the Contextual Marketing project takes off, otherwise the future looks bleak. I know you take pride in always operating in the black, but you really do need to spend money to make money, Start investing in the future.

RSS Feed </> Embed