Globys

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Derek Edwards

Focused on finding great people

Recruitment (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Globys full-time for less than a year

ProsThere's a very strong focus from all levels to hire great people. The atmosphere is casual and friendly - everyone seems to get along and work well together. There's good opportunity for career progression and everyone is working towards the same goals. Well-stocked cafe/lunch room with video games!

ConsWe can be very picky during the hiring process, and not a lot of entry-level opportunities lately. Still working out some of the kinks in our processes...

New location, new mindset?

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Globys full-time

ProsThe people are nice, and there are some genuinely smart people here.

The company is trying to move forward. There is an acknowledgement that the old reliance on death marches to keep up with unrealistic customer expectations only leads to burnout and churn; so there is a new attempt to keep a work-life balance.

There is interesting work to do, and there seems to be plenty of opportunities. The company knows that they have significant technical debt to overcome, and that has made them receptive to change.

We have recently moved to a new location at 705 Union Square (near 5th and Jackson) so the public transportation and lunch options are much better than at the old spot on the ship canal.

ConsThe legacy code is a mess. Plenty of the core product still lives in the land of VB6 and old-school ASP. Even the C# code can have its share of problems, depending on the author. I haven't looked at the Java codebase yet. The build system is a mess, with only a few automated builds.

Advice to Senior Management1. Your eyes are bigger than your stomach. Focus on what you can do.
2. Invest in your employees and infrastructure. If you want big things they can't come from nowhere.

Great technologies and products in high-growth mobile space. Cool culture, small company feel!

I have been working at Globys

ProsCompany has a great culture: eg. employees are helpful to new hires, minimal politics, collaborative environment and small company feel. Interesting technologies and products in the high-growth mobile analytics space.

ConsLocation not very convenient for public transport and office is currently a bit small. Carrier business has relatively long sales cycle and large deployment effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove to a more easy-to-access location. Remember to retain/preserve culture while growing business, and devote a bit more time on outreach programs to increase awareness of company.

I hadn't even heard of them before and then wow I found out about an awesome business and team!

I have been working at Globys

Pros- Close knit team, working hard but taking time to joke around and keep the tone fun.
- Really smart people, don't seem to be compromising on the kind of talent we recruit
- It's fun to see the business really taking off now in such a hot field and direction, it's good for my resume!

Cons- Current workspace is in a weird place and we're running out of space. I just heard we are moving to an Ex-Amazon building so that will be much better.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe website and social media efforts need to be implemented now. We have alot of be proud of but you can't really tell from our outdated website.

Nice people, but ability & delivery not so great.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Globys

ProsEmployees really nice and seem to care about co-workers.

The offices are nice, right on the ship canal.

Many of the old-timers seem to have a great work-life balance.

Cons// legacy product, the new contextual marketing side may be different.

Code is a mess, and management doesn't want to invest to update.

The sales side sell unrealistically wrt how long work is going to take, lead to ongoing death marches.

The company is full of process and nothing gets done without a trail of paperwork. That feeds back into death marches and becomes even worse when client feedback takes days to reach you. Then the bug is not clear yet management expects a fix overnight. Of course the fix is wrong because the feedback was not understood, so loop back to the start...

If you are used to working on a team where everyone pitches in & is proud of shipping high quality code on time, Globys will come as a shock. Lots of folk once their 8 hours are in go dark till the next morning. Very frustrating when you are the one holding the can trying to understand the fix and working all weekend to get it done. Nice people, but not the standard I am used to in the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest some time in modernizing your code & practices. Prune some of the old wood away, hire devs who think outside the box & give them the freedom to do so. Stop the death marches & unrealistic customer expectation.

So much potential wasted

I have been working at Globys full-time for more than a year

ProsNice office
Smart and dedicated people
Camaraderie between co-workers
Appearance of management of being open minded

ConsGlobys has seriously loss its footing with its "new and up and coming technology" the market has rejected it and its game of avoiding the obvious that the "smart" people and the VP have no clue on how to fix or make it work.

The people entrusted in making the solution are either incompetent or as mentioned earlier just avoiding the tough conversation for some sort of miracle

They loss focus on the "old" technologies and now its in the back of the pack of innovation

Advice to Senior ManagementYou made the wrong bet with the wrong people and now will have to eventually regroup with what's left over which ma not be much. You should really take an accounting of reality to what you aspire to, because to the people that really know it's not looking really good. I would strongly suggest if it looks like people are suggesting for the company to grasp at straws, it might be time that this may not be the right market for you.

Worked for Globys? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Globys reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Globys CEO Derek Edwards. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Globys employees.