Glocap Reviews

Dynamic and entrepreneurial Company

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Glocap full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Glocap treats its employees like adults, is highly entrepreneurial, has A clients and is a great group of people to work with. I recently left to take a recruiting role at a company just to try something different but was shocked to see some of the venomous reviews on this site. They don't accurately reflect the company I worked at and I have to imagine that they were inspired by the group of employees who left last summer to join a competitor and lost a law suit initiated by Glocap. Bottom line is it is a great place to work if you are self-motivated, like flexibility, value an A-client list and like being around very motivated, high energy and entrepreneurial people. I was sad to go. Lastly, during my years at Glocap the CEO always treated me and everyone around me highly fairly. He is a straight shooter and perhaps some people cant hack that but I prefer that to someone who doesn't tell you like they see it.

Cons

If you want a highly directed environment where everything is laid out for you, Glocap is not a good fit. If you are confident and like to have the scope to do things in your own way as long as the standards are high and the outcomes are good, then Glocap is a good fit.

Although I always appreciated the non-hierarchical culture, I do think that more formal recognition through promotions and a bit more emphasis on titles as a means to recognize people's development would be helpful.

Not your typical search firm!

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Glocap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Glocap is a firm that sets the bar and is not afraid to set it high. Glocap does not compete with other firms, it creates the standard for which other firms strive to be. When hired to be a recruiter here you MUST understand that the culture is entrepreneurial. The employees are ambitious adults that are not waiting to be told what to do, but instead are diving in and getting it done. The new management has fostered the passion in new employees, ignited a fire in old employees, and encourages a collaborative effort to provide unparalleled service to both clients and candidates. I look forward to coming to work each day and being part of such a strong team.

Cons

CEO gives people the benefit of the doubt and often times trusts people to a fault. I am shocked to see such negative feedback when I am sure the CEO has gone above and beyond for most of these individuals. As for me, the CEO has been nothing but a fierce leader that pushes me to strive harder to reach my professional goals, and has welcomed me and my colleagues as part of his family.

The open door policy is fantastic. I love that the opinions of all employees, no matter what their role here, are heard.

Ask former employees before you sign on

I worked at Glocap full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

So many people have left you benefit from all the clients/candidates left behind
    New management team - energized

Cons

the place is a fraud - everything about it
    CEO is unethical and has bad reputation in industry
    Work/life balance taken to an extreme which is great if you want to work at a place that isn't serious

Sell the firm

Great firm with exceptional people!

Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Glocap full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Glocap currently provides a great culture, filled with young, energetic employees motivated to collaborate. It has provided me with significant opportunity for growth and exposure to leading alternative investment firms. All of the employees are encouraging and make coming to work enjoyable. Very flexible with regards to work life balance and understanding of people's needs outside the office.

Cons

CEO is too loyal and kept employees on board longer than needed. Luckily this changed and has helped create the new, enjoyable, and collective environment we have now.

CEO is always available with an open door policy. Very understanding and supportive. Cares for his employees and listens to recommendations for the firm. He has personally made my experience at Glocap exceptional.

New management team recently joined and has really made a concerted effort to unify the firm.

Unorganized and Unethical

I worked at Glocap full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff that is there is motivated and hard working aka they spend their lives at Glocap. Young, sometimes fun group

Cons

Due to a recent "exodus" of over half it's employees in the administrative support department (the companies bread and butter), there is no structure put in place for new employees. Day to day is scattered and there is no feedback or guidance AT ALL because upper management is never there. While it is a well known name in the financal sector, their client base is definitely falling off because they can feel the turmoil.

Hire someone specifically for training new hires and allow time for this.

So much promise, and yet so much internal tension and dissatisfaction

Former Employee - IT Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Glocap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Young, energetic and lively staff. Breakfast and lunch in the office weekly. Access to some of the best technology available.

Cons

CEO counts every penny, to the point of being unbearable. Extremely long hours taking away from normal personal life. You never feel like you're able to fully disconnect.

Let your employees take some time off the same way that upper management and the CEO can do it. Taking a breath outside the office and letting your brain rest is important.

Horrible and unethical place to work

I worked at Glocap full-time

Pros

There are some good people to work with on the recruiting team, but it depends on the office location and team. Most of the decent people have already left the company. Turnover is incredibly high and frequent.

Cons

The completely and utterly incompetent and unethical management makes this a horrific place to work. The management will do whatever is best for themselves and does not care about the employees at all. Stay away at all cost and save yourself the trouble.

Stop taking advantage of your employees in unethical ways.

Sole purpose of company is to fund CEO's extravagant lifestyle

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Glocap full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- amazing team (but the best ones leave rather quickly)
    - used to have highly coveted jobs at highly coveted hedge and PE funds - great place to make contacts within this industry

Cons

- absentee CEO who spends majority of time on vacation
    - CEO micromanages every aspect of company down to the penny - but is never around so nothing ever gets done
    - even most senior staff feel unempowered to do anything without CEO sign-off
    - CEO is among the brightest people in the world, but uses intelligence to be among the slipperiest person in the world

empower your staff. engage with your company. or, leave the company to be managed by your great deputies.

Unethical management that promotes putting down your peers to get promoted.

Current Employee - Vice President Search in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President Search in New York, NY

I have been working at Glocap full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- For some reason, firm does manage to work with some well known clients

Cons

- Unethical senior management
    - Promotion is rewarded only at the cost of your peers
    - Hideous pyramid scheme pay structure
    - Sr. management has burned so many bridges with high end clients - you are fighting their scorched earth....
    - Horrible turnover.

Shut down the firm and start over. Adam Zoia has ruined his own name in the world (which is great) - you don't have to explain why you left the firm because everyone else has.

Good attitudes, high turnover, long hours.

Former Employee - Recruiting Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruiting Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Glocap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Very lively office, interactive people who make the day go by quickly.
    - Hardworking associates
    - Good feedback from higher-ups (if you have been placed with the right VP/MD).

Cons

- Not much room for growth.
    - You put in an incredible amount of work for little reward (when working as an assistant and not a VP or MD).
    - Very high turnover leads to a lack of strength in teams.

Help your assistants help you and give them better feedback when they are not doing something the correct way.