Glu

Glu Reviews

Updated Jul 12, 2014

Glu President, CEO, and Director Niccolo De Masi

Niccolo De Masi

Pros
  • Work/Life balance was good at least in my department(in 7 reviews)

• Company puts out great games, and is focused on deepening f2p mechanics(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The management is absurdly top-heavy for a company that has never turned a dollar in profit(in 5 reviews)

• Upper management wants results ASAP and this in turn creates rushed projects, unrealistic deadlines, and very little wiggle room(in 3 reviews)

Interesting challenges and fantastic team members

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

Pros- High degree of ownership in personal tasks and team projects
    - High potential to learn mobile and free-to-play principles
    - Open, fun culture and skilled team members
    - Good collaboration across teams and disciplines
    - Lot of potential for future success
    - Supportive and helpful management

Cons- Not proven as an industry leader yet; still contender status
    - Short-term friction between some new central teams and dev teams

I am proud to say I work at Glu.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsDown-to-earth and fun people. Satisfying work with a good manager. Fun events, great new office space. I feel there is honest and open communication about the business and where we are going.

ConsSometimes it does feel there are still growing pains, but things are looking up. I do feel management is recognizing how important it is to focus on an improved company culture and making sure employees feel valued.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on your employees (rewards, promotions) and continue sharing company updates.

Great People, Occasional Hits

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people at Glu are great to work with and highly collaborative. Lots of opportunities to grow vertically or laterally.

ConsProduces more 'misses' than 'hits'. Has lost its start-up appeal years ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many resources spent on overhead, needs to return to making great games that people will want to play, rather than hiring a squad of BI people to figure out how to squeeze every dime out of flops.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good games, poor management

ProsFun games, and some really talented people work there.

ConsVery dis-organized place, doesn't feel like the world HQ of a gaming company

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept constructive criticism, and find out why so many people are leaving for other companies.

Technically clueless management

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsNice downtown SF location. Every hand is needed and it's easy to acquire new skills and gain valuable experience. Supportive and thoughtful people.

ConsYou will not be valued for your contributions. Management has virtually no technical depth, and will throw good money after bad on vanity projects meant to move political careers. You are only as good as your last project.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek advice down the entire command chain. Talk to people many levels below your own on a regular basis. Learn to be in touch with the trenches. There's a lot of experience and a lot of good people there. Find them.

Loved working with the team and people but not management

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsGreat group of people
    Learned and contributed a lot in the mobile gaming industry
    Good ESPP plan

ConsUnstable Layoffs every 3 months
    Pay scale is way below industry average, by way below I mean terrible.
    No 401k match, no sick leave, no maternity/paternity leave
    Higher management not sure about what kind of projects to focus on
    Management only promotes making copies of trending games, not interested in original IP

Advice to Senior ManagementPick higher management/CEO who is concerned and knows something about making games.
    Conserve talent and not dispose them when the work is done.

It was ok.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsLots of junk food and soda if you like to eat.

ConsLong hours and huge layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementNah.

Fast Followers, Not Leaders

ProsVery talented and motivated workforce, including the close to 100 laid off recently (pay no attention to the executives anonymous comments in earlier, stellar reviews)

ConsManagement does not understand how to make the free to play model successful and are more interested in status, paychecks and power than creativity, team building and making truly remarkable games. High level managers do not feel comfortable interacting with employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit stocking the management ranks with your buddies and misleading your employees. Step out of your offices and interact with the people working so hard to make you your enormous salaries. Take an interest in how games are developed, what customers want and begin building up a positive relationship with the audience and the industry.

Long term stability in a volatile game industry

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFew game companies have been operating for over a decade. Glu is amongst the very few that has successfully navigated the ups, downs and shifting tides of a business that is challenging but very rewarding. Creative freedom is on offer within pre-agreed boundaries. Strategic vision for the firm is often prescient and always solid.

ConsI have been here a while and feel we get the strategy right, and often early, but then can't execute on it fast enough or as well as other firms. Seen this a couple of times now. I feel senior mgmt knows and is acting - hopefully the benefits of recent hiring come through later this y ear.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring fresh blood that has the precise expertise we need to execute. More team building events would be beneficial.

Great place to be if you love mobile games

ProsGlu is full of talented people that are fun to work with, and the level of talent continues to increase as many skilled professionals are joining Glu with prior mobile free-to-play experience. Company puts out great games, and is focused on deepening f2p mechanics. Exciting time to be here, as there's tons of room to innovate, and individuals are able to make a big impact.

ConsSF office has stunning views, but layout is a bit old school. Good news is the company is moving to a cool new space in the city soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aggressive, and stay focused. Glu has a great opportunity to become one of the premier mobile gaming companies in the world.

Worked for Glu? Contribute to the Community!