Glu

Glu Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Glu President, CEO, and Director Niccolo De Masi

Niccolo De Masi

Pros:
  • "Work/Life balance was good at least in my department"
    in 5 reviews
  • "There are free snacks, frequent fun events, and a real sense that there is a lot of effort being put in to make things more fun and less stressful"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "The management is absurdly top-heavy for a company that has never turned a dollar in profit"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Managers often take the credit of the employees working under them, giving them little to no praise"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I am proud to say I work at Glu.

San Francisco, CA

ProsDown-to-earth and fun people. Satisfying work with a good manager. Fun events, great new office space. I feel there is honest and open communication about the business and where we are going.

ConsSometimes it does feel there are still growing pains, but things are looking up. I do feel management is recognizing how important it is to focus on an improved company culture and making sure employees feel valued.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on your employees (rewards, promotions) and continue sharing company updates.

Great People, Occasional Hits

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people at Glu are great to work with and highly collaborative. Lots of opportunities to grow vertically or laterally.

ConsProduces more 'misses' than 'hits'. Has lost its start-up appeal years ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many resources spent on overhead, needs to return to making great games that people will want to play, rather than hiring a squad of BI people to figure out how to squeeze every dime out of flops.

Good games, poor management

ProsFun games, and some really talented people work there.

ConsVery dis-organized place, doesn't feel like the world HQ of a gaming company

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept constructive criticism, and find out why so many people are leaving for other companies.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Technically clueless management

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsNice downtown SF location. Every hand is needed and it's easy to acquire new skills and gain valuable experience. Supportive and thoughtful people.

ConsYou will not be valued for your contributions. Management has virtually no technical depth, and will throw good money after bad on vanity projects meant to move political careers. You are only as good as your last project.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek advice down the entire command chain. Talk to people many levels below your own on a regular basis. Learn to be in touch with the trenches. There's a lot of experience and a lot of good people there. Find them.

Loved working with the team and people but not management

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat group of people
    Learned and contributed a lot in the mobile gaming industry
    Good ESPP plan

ConsUnstable Layoffs every 3 months
    Pay scale is way below industry average, by way below I mean terrible.
    No 401k match, no sick leave, no maternity/paternity leave
    Higher management not sure about what kind of projects to focus on
    Management only promotes making copies of trending games, not interested in original IP

Advice to Senior ManagementPick higher management/CEO who is concerned and knows something about making games.
    Conserve talent and not dispose them when the work is done.

It was ok.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Kirkland, WA

ProsLots of junk food and soda if you like to eat.

ConsLong hours and huge layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementNah.

Fast Followers, Not Leaders

ProsVery talented and motivated workforce, including the close to 100 laid off recently (pay no attention to the executives anonymous comments in earlier, stellar reviews)

ConsManagement does not understand how to make the free to play model successful and are more interested in status, paychecks and power than creativity, team building and making truly remarkable games. High level managers do not feel comfortable interacting with employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit stocking the management ranks with your buddies and misleading your employees. Step out of your offices and interact with the people working so hard to make you your enormous salaries. Take an interest in how games are developed, what customers want and begin building up a positive relationship with the audience and the industry.

Long term stability in a volatile game industry

San Francisco, CA

ProsFew game companies have been operating for over a decade. Glu is amongst the very few that has successfully navigated the ups, downs and shifting tides of a business that is challenging but very rewarding. Creative freedom is on offer within pre-agreed boundaries. Strategic vision for the firm is often prescient and always solid.

ConsI have been here a while and feel we get the strategy right, and often early, but then can't execute on it fast enough or as well as other firms. Seen this a couple of times now. I feel senior mgmt knows and is acting - hopefully the benefits of recent hiring come through later this y ear.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring fresh blood that has the precise expertise we need to execute. More team building events would be beneficial.

Great place to be if you love mobile games

ProsGlu is full of talented people that are fun to work with, and the level of talent continues to increase as many skilled professionals are joining Glu with prior mobile free-to-play experience. Company puts out great games, and is focused on deepening f2p mechanics. Exciting time to be here, as there's tons of room to innovate, and individuals are able to make a big impact.

ConsSF office has stunning views, but layout is a bit old school. Good news is the company is moving to a cool new space in the city soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aggressive, and stay focused. Glu has a great opportunity to become one of the premier mobile gaming companies in the world.

Tumultuous and ever-changing

Kirkland, WA

ProsSpeaking of the Kirkland studio specifically, the people are amazing, the environment is great, and it's fun. Work/life balance is a definite strong point. Work schedules can be very flexible if needed. There are free snacks, frequent fun events, and a real sense that there is a lot of effort being put in to make things more fun and less stressful.

ConsThe process of figuring out how to obtain consistent success in the free-to-play genre has resulted in a lot of chaos and instability. Upper management wants results ASAP and this in turn creates rushed projects, unrealistic deadlines, and very little wiggle room. This results in lost potential and games that are not nearly as in-depth, fleshed out, focused, and well-planned as they could be. There is never "enough time" . Games don't hit their profit expectations and upper management is quick to point fingers.

Despite low profits and fairly significant lay-offs over the past 6 months, upper management is becoming increasingly top-heavy to the point of seeming a bit ridiculous. Newly-hired VPs and executives seem to pop up every week.

Very little is consistent from project-to-project which can make team transitions more difficult than they need to be. Communication between departments, teams, and San Francisco is very poor.

Pay is well below average and in some cases absolutely ludicrous depending on your position. You will be given a great deal of responsibility and opportunity to grow in your chosen field but don't ever expect to be adequately compensated. There's been a high turnover of top talent and a very thick, impending "sinking ship" feeling of doom and dread lingering in the air for a while and I don't expect it to clear up any time soon or this year for that matter.

Worked for Glu? Contribute to the Community!

Glu Videos

Glu – Why Work for Us?

Life at the cutting edge of wireless technology is an exciting but demanding place to be. Glu is always on the look out for exceptionally talented individuals to join our team. We reward talent, creativity, and the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Glu reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Glu CEO Niccolo De Masi . All 59 reviews posted anonymously by Glu employees.