Glu

Updated January 31, 2015
3.7

Glu President, CEO, and Director Niccolo De Masi
Niccolo De Masi

Pros
  • Teams have a great work/life balance and make things happen, they come together at the end to get it done (in 8 reviews)

• I've never worked with a harder working group of individuals with such a passion for making great games (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The management is absurdly top-heavy for a company that has never turned a dollar in profit (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management wants results ASAP and this in turn creates rushed projects, unrealistic deadlines, and very little wiggle room (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Glu is a great company to work for!

I have been working at Glu

Pros

The culture is great--it's a really fun place to work but people are also professional, collaborative and helpful when it comes to making great games. Upper management frequently communicates what is going on and what to expect. Work/life balance is taken seriously.

Cons

Sometimes the corporate mandates get in the way of productivity and/or releasing on schedule.

Best company I've ever worked for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Glu as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture and fun projects to keep you on your toe. Schedule is on spot, never felt too pressured or stress. Amazing co workers, fun activities, and they made me feel like part of a family.

Cons

What cons? Non from my end.

Wonderful game development studio with excellent work/life balance (Bellevue office)

Current Employee - Artist in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Artist in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Glu full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance: Employees are encouraged to have a life outside of the office.

Positive studio culture: In general, everyone here gets along very well, and we regularly have fun activities. We decorate team areas to suit our individual personalities.

Successful products: While we are not making Candy Crush numbers, we have a successful product that allows us to pursue fun and interesting projects without having to lay people off.

The studio takes care of its employees: Managers and directors do everything they can to take care of the employees. There is genuine concern about everyone's well-being.

Transparent communication: Where applicable and possible (I understand there are legal areas we can't touch), communication is totally open and transparent. I rarely feel "in the dark" when it comes to studio and project statuses.

Flexible working arrangements: It's very easy to work from home if needed. This is especially beneficial for people who live in Seattle and areas far outside of Bellevue.

Cons

Communication between departments is rocky and needs work. For all the efforts made to unify the teams, there is still an "us and them" approach to things.

Career paths are unclear. Many people are unsure of how they can progress in their jobs.

Managers are often overtasked and spread too thin. Some employees are expected to be both a manger and an individual contributor on their projects.

There is a constant push of doing things faster and cheaper while maintaining high quality standards. This often results in fast and cheap and lowering the quality of our work, because, in the end, it's all about the money.

Too much focus on hitting our bonus targets. Yes, bonuses are really nice to have, but constantly using that as an incentive and reminder to do better/more work makes me uncomfortable.

Get out into the general team areas and talk to the individuals on each team. Don't stay in a silo in the director's area. Don't just stick with your respective disciplines/specialties. Branch out and get that "cross-func" thing going that you talk so much bout.

Balance out salaries, especially for the employees who have been with the company/group for years. There are many people who have been promoted into positions with more responsibilities, but their pay doesn't match. People in lower-ranked positions can often be paid more.

Seattle office is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Glu full-time

Pros

•The Seattle studio is a very independent entity in Glu, and because of the successes of the games the studio puts out, has a culture of talented, motivated folks owning the production of successful games.

•Extremely positive culture. Everyone is very jazzed about the products, and everyone does their job well. It's fun to work in a building with 100 motivated, talented folks.

•Managers have total faith in IC's to get their work done and deliver great results. Not a lot of micromanagement, and lots of trust in terms of hours / work like balance, etc. Work life balance is good (I've seen managers tell FTE's to put in less hours, told to scale back so as to not burn themselves out).

•Fun activities like nerf assassins, secret santa, smash bros. tournament.

•Salary and bonus is in line with Seattle tech, as well as stock. Medical is average.

•Games are popular and make money. Employee culture feels like "the future is bright."

• Can work from home occasionally if personal requirements make it more convenient.

Cons

• Not a very diverse office. The majority of employees are white dude gamers. Good people, but not a place to go if you're seeking many diverse voices.

• Although the culture is very relaxed, it is not a startup culture. With >100 people I don't know that it could be. I wouldn't come expecting bean bag chairs, long whiteboard sessions and shifting roles and responsibilities. Pro or con depending on what you're looking for.

• Next to no relationship with SF and other studios. Both Pro and con, as the culture seems very different outside of Seattle office (and it seems the Seattle culture is far and away the best at Glu) but it doesn't feel like a multinational studio and the benefits that would come with it.

• No retirement benefits.

Don't grow too quick.
    No retirement benefits is a drag.
    Seek more diverse employees. Our office culture is very positive and strong, but may not be as welcoming to people that aren't already a culture fit.

Work in progress

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Glu full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people employees are some of the best

Cons

Not so much a gaming culture for a gaming company.

Consider more training for new employees

Good people in the trenches, but studio heads are well..... different kinds of heads.

Former Employee - Animator in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Animator in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Glu

Pros

Soft toilet paper. Free water.

Cons

You have to fit in with the Thursday beer thirty crew and take the bean bags on the chin if you want to excel or not get laid off.

Choke yourself. Stick to shooting deer if you want to keep your nose above water.

Good people in the trenches, horrible executive team.

I worked at Glu

Pros

The local studio was filled with amazing people, great work environment, good opportunities for growth, great work/life balance.

Cons

All the pros were hobbled by poor executive management always trying to boost the stock price instead of focusing on people and products. It's no wonder the stock price has languished below $6 for so long.

If you focus on your people and in making great games, the stock price will follow. Unfortunately you're stuck in a rut and the company desperately needs new leadership.

Just More of the Same

Former Employee - Producer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Producer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Glu full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some smart, passionate people, high energy environment, and a real focus on getting product out instead of waiting forever to make up their minds. The internal awards system is genuinely motivating.

Cons

Copycat is the name of the game, no pun intended, and leadership doesn't respect the employees. People gradually lose investment but still have to work a lot as drones. Sales figures aren't the only way to grow a career but it is a way to overextend your company.

Take a market leadership role and not a market participant role. Use your success to create successes, not to mimic successes.

A fun place to work for!

Current Employee - QA Tester in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - QA Tester in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Glu full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company cares for its employees well being. The management cares for each employees experience at work. The company practices private conversation with the managers to speak out any of your ideas, concerns, etc . Employees gets incentives for their hard work and having fun at work is encouraged. Employees knows when to separate professional matters and fun times. Rules are applied but the workplace is lenient which gives the employees a sense of freedom and in my opinion a good stress reliever.

Cons

There are too many meetings and usually causes unproductive wasted work hours. Communication between departments could be improved.

Great, but always room for improvement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu

Pros

Hard working people producing and maintaining quality games.

Cons

Don't ask questions - a lot of people aren't interested in taking the time to answering them. Everyone's time here is so valuable...that attitude makes it hard to be efficient.

You have some amazing remote employees that work 24/7 in Customer Care, yet they work through a temp agency. Please consider hiring them as actual Glu employees.