Glu

Updated February 13, 2015
3.9

Glu President, CEO, and Director Niccolo De Masi
Niccolo De Masi

Pros
  • Teams have a great work/life balance and make things happen, they come together at the end to get it done (in 8 reviews)

• I've never worked with a harder working group of individuals with such a passion for making great games (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The management is absurdly top-heavy for a company that has never turned a dollar in profit (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management wants results ASAP and this in turn creates rushed projects, unrealistic deadlines, and very little wiggle room (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great momentum

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu

Pros

There's great energy and momentum - nothing like having a few hits to put smiles on everyone's faces.

Cons

There's always a lot of work to do - plenty of resources, but time is still limited.

More advanced planning, please.

Glu is a great company to work for!

I have been working at Glu

Pros

The culture is great--it's a really fun place to work but people are also professional, collaborative and helpful when it comes to making great games. Upper management frequently communicates what is going on and what to expect. Work/life balance is taken seriously.

Cons

Sometimes the corporate mandates get in the way of productivity and/or releasing on schedule.

Best company I've ever worked for.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Bellevue, WA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Glu as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture and fun projects to keep you on your toe. Schedule is on spot, never felt too pressured or stress. Amazing co workers, fun activities, and they made me feel like part of a family.

Cons

What cons? Non from my end.

Seattle office is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Glu full-time

Pros

•The Seattle studio is a very independent entity in Glu, and because of the successes of the games the studio puts out, has a culture of talented, motivated folks owning the production of successful games.

•Extremely positive culture. Everyone is very jazzed about the products, and everyone does their job well. It's fun to work in a building with 100 motivated, talented folks.

•Managers have total faith in IC's to get their work done and deliver great results. Not a lot of micromanagement, and lots of trust in terms of hours / work like balance, etc. Work life balance is good (I've seen managers tell FTE's to put in less hours, told to scale back so as to not burn themselves out).

•Fun activities like nerf assassins, secret santa, smash bros. tournament.

•Salary and bonus is in line with Seattle tech, as well as stock. Medical is average.

•Games are popular and make money. Employee culture feels like "the future is bright."

• Can work from home occasionally if personal requirements make it more convenient.

Cons

• Not a very diverse office. The majority of employees are white dude gamers. Good people, but not a place to go if you're seeking many diverse voices.

• Although the culture is very relaxed, it is not a startup culture. With >100 people I don't know that it could be. I wouldn't come expecting bean bag chairs, long whiteboard sessions and shifting roles and responsibilities. Pro or con depending on what you're looking for.

• Next to no relationship with SF and other studios. Both Pro and con, as the culture seems very different outside of Seattle office (and it seems the Seattle culture is far and away the best at Glu) but it doesn't feel like a multinational studio and the benefits that would come with it.

• No retirement benefits.

Don't grow too quick.
    No retirement benefits is a drag.
    Seek more diverse employees. Our office culture is very positive and strong, but may not be as welcoming to people that aren't already a culture fit.

A fun place to work for!

Current Employee - QA Tester in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - QA Tester in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Glu full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company cares for its employees well being. The management cares for each employees experience at work. The company practices private conversation with the managers to speak out any of your ideas, concerns, etc . Employees gets incentives for their hard work and having fun at work is encouraged. Employees knows when to separate professional matters and fun times. Rules are applied but the workplace is lenient which gives the employees a sense of freedom and in my opinion a good stress reliever.

Cons

There are too many meetings and usually causes unproductive wasted work hours. Communication between departments could be improved.

Extremely satisfied with my position at Glu Bellevue

I have been working at Glu full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work. Creative, knowledgeable people focused on individual growth and overall financial success. Fantastic bonuses and benefits. Culture of teamwork, unity, and progress. Emphasis on positive freemium monetization techniques. Quality titles and platforms. Name recognition. Absence of damaging egos. Collaborative atmosphere.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about this place, and look forward to getting to work everyday.

Seattle Glu - Established company, startup feel

Current Employee - Producer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Producer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Glu full-time (less than a year)

Pros

For a company that's been in operation for years, joining I felt the energy, excitement and opportunity of a start up company. Everyone here loves their jobs. Management sits with everyone else and have monthly studio updates telling us where we were, what we're doing and where we are going. They are willing to let people try new things, encourage growth and really encourage work/home life balance. Crunch times are VERY rare and even then that usually means only 2 hours extra in a day.

Cons

Company is in the process of re-discovering itself. There's a handful of old habits that still popup from before the change in management that people are trying to shake off. Lack of understanding of career growth for certain disciplines. Occasional curve balls from corporate can make like difficult.

Keep doing what your doing. This company is doing great and is only going to keep getting better.

Great Washington Studio

I have been working at Glu full-time

Pros

Team ownership of products, talented teams, employees are encouraged to speak up, excellent transparency, great games, always learning, good work/life balance. Management strives to create a positive environment and are extremely competent. Gigantic turnaround for the Washington studio in the last 18 months.

Cons

As with any global corporation there can be communication difficulties between the HQ office and studios.

Keep encouraging team ownership and individual ownership. Transparency is key to employee to buy in.

Amazing Washington studio; the usual corporate stuff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Glu full-time (more than a year)

Pros

One of the most talented teams I've worked with, technically, artistically, and design-wise. Processes are maturing rapidly, and are constantly under review. Relatively ego-less local senior management team, but a real press to make the highest-quality games we can, with emphasis on input from the whole team. Great HR and IT support, competitive salary and benefits, a really fun workplace with regular events and active regular meetings to talk about the industry, design, and software.

Cons

Corporate-dictated software architecture which is the same for all, rather than being matched to the needs of the game. Developers are hamstrung by the supplied framework's capabilities, and by occasional bugs or features which change out from under the game in development without warning. This stops development in its tracks, sometimes for weeks, while solutions are worked out. And that raises stress, diverts attention from the game itself, and requires that features are sacrificed to meet schedules.

Re-orient Gluon to make it a set of reusable components to speed development. The current one-design-fits-all approach is the single biggest threat to success of new games.

Autonomy, Transparency, and Candor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Glu full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The studio in Bellevue is a great place to work. Lots of opportunity for ownership. Management listens to feedback and often acts on it. Good transparency into how the studio and projects are doing. Good work-life-balance.

Any-one is invited to pitch games, are taken seriously, and given concrete feedback on how to improve.

Cons

Can be very fast-paced and intense at times. Teams can run lean, and there is an need for more product managers.

Keep it up! I'd like to see more training opportunities, and the need for product managers addressed.

Glu Photos