Glynlyon

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert J. Campbell Jr.

Great if you want to be comfortable

Front End Developer (Former Employee) Chandler, AZ

ProsYou feel stable, no extreme changes, things stay the same - if you like that kind of stuff then this is great.

ConsIt is boring. No room for big changes, The CEO actually said he thinks iPad is NOT a learning tool.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace bleeding edge technologies.

Don't Apply Here

Product Development (Former Employee) Chandler, AZ

ProsBest thing is, I had some flexibility.

ConsManagement answers to no one. VP's and managers have no oversight from CEO and can pretty much do whatever they please. Communication lines between offices in the different locations is horrible and department heads seem to be threatened by anyone that may have some innovative ideas. My managers personally were very egocentric and hard to work for. I quickly began to understand that their would be no vertical movement.. It was difficult to get managers to give you your personal annual reviews and it was like pulling teeth to get a raise. They have hurt a lot of hard working and honest people by firing them with no reason. Most have been told it is due to their "restructuring." The benefits are not too bad. The owner began this company as a "Christian Company" but their actions speak louder than their words.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to "restructure" management and get rid of those that have risen to their position just because of "who" they are. Place people that honestly have earned that right And to those that oversee management and VP's, you need to pay more attention to how they are handling their departments.

Good Opportunities.

Scrum Master (Current Employee) Chandler, AZ

ProsIt's cool to work with a growing company that will take the time to train you and support continuing professional development. Freedom to get the job done without a lot of micro managing.

ConsBad benefits. Coffee not supplied. Pay could be better. Sales led culture makes it hard to follow SWD best practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee cons. Besides those things I believe that management is doing the best it can and really respects the people who work here.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing Leadership surrounds the sales force with full support -Proud to be a part of it.

Educational Consultant/Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Nisswa, MN

ProsThe most positive work environment I have ever been in. The Nisswa MN office has a true culture of respect for others, yourself, and the community to you live and work in.
    Family oriented, God loving people.
    Our leadership is a force in front of the sales team that cannot be stopped. This company has taught me more about belief in myself than anything.

ConsI can't even come up with a con

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your eyes open for the "poison employee" that occasionally pulls the wool over your eyes and begins to suck the positive energy out of the sales force.

Management Mess

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPromotes good work/life balance. Willing to work with personal needs on most occasions. Most of the company's products are excellent and meet viable market needs. Great technical support for products.

ConsManagement is out of touch. Senior management can be all over the map strategically. Ideas come, get acted upon then disappear; sometimes with staff in tow. They have exhausted employee pool through workforce mismanagement at one location. Heard on multiple occasions the idea of terminating 10% of the work force yearly from several executives. Micro-managing appears to be a philosophy by several senior/executive managers. Most positions I was aware of are underpaid with the philosophy that promoting the corporate mission of educating children made up for the compensation difference(s).

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your front line employees to make appropriate front line decisions so they don't feel micro-managed and under "the screws". Pay fair, competitive wages. Work on strategic planning, development and execution so employees understand the direction of the company and can embrace the ideas without the feeling lost on an island and subject to workforce reductions at any time. If you don't terminate the "bad" senior/executive managers at least teach them how to manage people and not just ideas. Your people are your greatest asset yet you've created a revolving door for employees and lost some really good ones.

Just another number

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Rock Rapids, IA

ProsThe ONLY pro to working at Glynlyon is the possibility of having your weekends off.

ConsEvery day going into work you wouldn't know if you were going to have a job to go to the next day or not. This company is constantly laying people off for no reason-they give the reason of relocating the sales force but in actuality they have sales people still in their current IA office They even lay people off whose jobs are protected by law or if you are pregnant. My assumption is they won't be around much longer (at least in Iowa because they have completed saturated the labor pool and ruined their reputation as a "CHRISTIAN COMPANY"). My orientation didn't take place until one full year after I was employed and the benefits were awful. Many employees were told they would get a raise and NEVER got one. There was no opportunity for growth for those who deserved it and I never received an employee review in the more than 2 years I was employed with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you don't see the results that you want look at your management first; not your bottom line employees who work day in and day out to be a success for your company.

Great co-workers, long hours.

Interactive Designer (Former Employee) Chandler, AZ

ProsThe people you work with are great!
    Helping educators.

ConsSome long hours.
    Some management issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure Management doesn't let emotions get involved.

Very stable and generous to employees, but not a progressive company.

Technical Support (Current Employee) Rock Rapids, IA

ProsGlynlyon is an almost family like company. The departments seem to take care of their own. The health insurance and benefits packages are outstanding. The company does seem to care about it's employees. When employees have ideas for improvement and are willing to put in extra and fight for them, they are typically given room and resources to do so. Pro-activeness is encouraged and appreciated. Customer service is first class and will constantly bend over backwards for customers.

ConsGlynlyon is a very reactionary company. The products and services offered are typically years behind the competition and are not innovative. Company growth does not appear to be aggressive and the culture seems to be "this is good enough, it works" instead of "that's not good enough, what would make us the leader?". The corporate culture is not progressive and is very slow to adapt. Compensation seems low compared to similar jobs. The office environments are old and seem like they would fit perfectly in with the '70s and '80s white collar cubicle farms.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate the office environments. Progressively and aggressively act on new products and technology. Rennovate and innovate to be ahead of the competition. Allow employees more input on future growth. Sometimes employees see farther ahead than management will and certainly hear the customers' wants and needs more closely than management can. Listen to the customers and be and do exactly what they want. Anticipate what they want if possible.

Not impressed

(Current Employee)

ProsI interviewed at this company recently after responding to a well written and progressive job site advertisement. The company website showed a strong history or growth and technology moving towards a sustainable agile/lean methodology.

ConsThe building was very old school and had a dingy feel to it. The conference room would fit into an 80s movie set with little change.

The people who interviewed me through 2 rounds seemed to spend a lot of time putting down the company. I heard how it was behind the times and disorganized and how difficult it was for technology to work with upper management. If this was their sales pitch to new employees, I'd be crazy to join.

Compensation was ridiculously low compared to the level of experience they are seeking, leading me to believe there is little value placed on employees.

I've heard that contractors have been treated horribly by this company, and as someone who has done contracting, that turned me off. Being a contractor does not mean you're a second class citizen.

Some research on benefits showed they were below market. Providing gap insurance is not the same as providing a usable medical plan. And 2 weeks vacation is kind of cheesy when other tech companies are more progressive. Again, employees seem under valued at this company.

Despite looking for a new job, I was very happy to cross Glynlyon off my list.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppears company morale is an issue if your technology managers are trashing your company to prospective recruits.

Paying below market means you hire below market. If you're planning on investing in training to raise people's skills, that's fine, but don't expect experienced people to jump at your company.

I'd suggest doing some real hard looking at your technology managers who may be running your company into the ground with their own egos and seeing upper management as roadblocks to their success. Almost looks like disloyalty to a prospective employee.

Short sighted bureaucracy and infuriating systems to program in.

ProsThe atmosphere is casual and the work is steady

ConsThe web systems are horribly and inefficiently developed and working in them is an effort in futility.
    Management is slow to take action on important issues.
    Contractors are treated poorly

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the problems that are occurring instead of sidestepping the issues until they're forced to be fixed.

Worked for Glynlyon? Contribute to the Community!