Glynlyon

3.5

Beth TeGrotenhuis

Great People-Great Company-Great Values

I have been working at Glynlyon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The positive and respectful work environment, the growing and changing is amazing to be apart of. They are very family oriented, and flexible with work schedules I like the fact they work with you and completely understand circumstances. They train very well, and make sure your comfortable before starting. They keep you motivated and energized, the moral is fantastic.

Cons

I don't have any cons

Keep it up, we are a team and love being apart of each movement and growth. This is such an exciting time, and we have so many lives to change.

Odysseyware/Glynlyon

Current Employee - PD and Training
    Current Employee - PD and Training

I have been working at Glynlyon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Staff are very collaborative, and the company is constantly changing to innovate and stay competitive. I believe the product is solid and has an excellent future. It is already a leader in some education sectors, and with continuous improvement it may become the best single solution for K-12 online learning.

Cons

The constant change means that training demands are high.

Control internal software changes and procedures. Keep the collaborative atmosphere.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Web Developer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Glynlyon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This seems to be a great working environment, good compensation, average benefits (with above average insurance). Flexible and comfortable work environment. The people at all levels of the company that I have encountered tend to be quality, competent, and friendly. Management, as much as I have experienced are on as level of a course as anyone else I've ever worked for.

Cons

Not enough experience to say as of yet. Nothing striking.

Not enough experience to say as of yet. Nothing overtly negative or positive.

A company with so much care, stability and positive environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Glynlyon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are amazing! The employees care about what they are doing and the affect it has on the company. You are a member of the Glynlyon team not just a number. Extremely flexible and relaxed worked environment.

Cons

Every company has their down falls but the pros outweigh all cons

Listen to what employees are saying- they are your biggest asset

Excellent for experience, not so much for salary or working environment

I worked at Glynlyon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is pretty good about giving opportunity to people with little or no experience and exposing them to nice positions. Indeed, the President of one division started out as a secretary.

Cons

Despite the less then average industry pay, they make up for it in cultural dismay. The turnover rate is quite high due to an unclear management agenda. While profit is clearly the driving agenda, how to get there, how long to keep a program in play or how safe any employee is based on nothing more than the fancy of the owner on any given day is pretty spooky for people who need a paycheck. If you need a paycheck for your financial security, neither you nor your spouse can ever feel safe or secure in this environment.

Really, business planning at the top is not that difficult. When senior management members are asked what the biggest need is and the answer to the Board comes back communication, it doesn't mean a better newsletter. It means they are asking what the expectations of the Board are and how will they know they are ahead or behind those expectations. Your job is to set the direction and the culture of the company then prove the goals are achievable. If you want to grow to a hundred million dollar company, you can't do it with 10 million dollar thinking.

Great if you want to be comfortable

Former Employee - Front End Developer in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Front End Developer in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Glynlyon full-time

Pros

You feel stable, no extreme changes, things stay the same - if you like that kind of stuff then this is great.

Cons

It is boring. No room for big changes, The CEO actually said he thinks iPad is NOT a learning tool.

Embrace bleeding edge technologies.

Don't Apply Here

Former Employee - Product Development in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Product Development in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Glynlyon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best thing is, I had some flexibility.

Cons

Management answers to no one. VP's and managers have no oversight from CEO and can pretty much do whatever they please. Communication lines between offices in the different locations is horrible and department heads seem to be threatened by anyone that may have some innovative ideas. My managers personally were very egocentric and hard to work for. I quickly began to understand that their would be no vertical movement.. It was difficult to get managers to give you your personal annual reviews and it was like pulling teeth to get a raise. They have hurt a lot of hard working and honest people by firing them with no reason. Most have been told it is due to their "restructuring." The benefits are not too bad. The owner began this company as a "Christian Company" but their actions speak louder than their words.

You need to "restructure" management and get rid of those that have risen to their position just because of "who" they are. Place people that honestly have earned that right And to those that oversee management and VP's, you need to pay more attention to how they are handling their departments.

Amazing Leadership surrounds the sales force with full support -Proud to be a part of it.

Current Employee - Educational Consultant/Outside Sales Representative in Nisswa, MN

I have been working at Glynlyon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The most positive work environment I have ever been in. The Nisswa MN office has a true culture of respect for others, yourself, and the community to you live and work in.
    Family oriented, God loving people.
    Our leadership is a force in front of the sales team that cannot be stopped. This company has taught me more about belief in myself than anything.

Cons

I can't even come up with a con

Keep your eyes open for the "poison employee" that occasionally pulls the wool over your eyes and begins to suck the positive energy out of the sales force.

Good Opportunities.

Current Employee - Scrum Master in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Scrum Master in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Glynlyon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's cool to work with a growing company that will take the time to train you and support continuing professional development. Freedom to get the job done without a lot of micro managing.

Cons

Bad benefits. Coffee not supplied. Pay could be better. Sales led culture makes it hard to follow SWD best practices.

See cons. Besides those things I believe that management is doing the best it can and really respects the people who work here.

Management Mess

I worked at Glynlyon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Promotes good work/life balance. Willing to work with personal needs on most occasions. Most of the company's products are excellent and meet viable market needs. Great technical support for products.

Cons

Management is out of touch. Senior management can be all over the map strategically. Ideas come, get acted upon then disappear; sometimes with staff in tow. They have exhausted employee pool through workforce mismanagement at one location. Heard on multiple occasions the idea of terminating 10% of the work force yearly from several executives. Micro-managing appears to be a philosophy by several senior/executive managers. Most positions I was aware of are underpaid with the philosophy that promoting the corporate mission of educating children made up for the compensation difference(s).

Empower your front line employees to make appropriate front line decisions so they don't feel micro-managed and under "the screws". Pay fair, competitive wages. Work on strategic planning, development and execution so employees understand the direction of the company and can embrace the ideas without the feeling lost on an island and subject to workforce reductions at any time. If you don't terminate the "bad" senior/executive managers at least teach them how to manage people and not just ideas. Your people are your greatest asset yet you've created a revolving door for employees and lost some really good ones.