GlynnDevins Marketing & Advertising

Updated May 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim Glynn

I love working at GlynnDevins and feel fortunate to have landed here

(Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsI work with an awesome group of people. There's great work/life balance, we all get along, work hard and enjoy working with each other. The leaders here are forward-thinking, lead by example and truly care about the success of team members and the agency as a whole. People seem genuinely happy here, myself included. The turnover at GlynnDevins is really very low.

The company takes care of its employees. We have summer hours (half-day Fridays), happy hours, great benefits, monthly agency meetings so employees are all kept in the loop, employee recognition, ongoing training is supported and encouraged, technology is kept up-to-date, there is an end-of-year bonus for every employee, management constantly asks for feedback from employees. I could go on and on.

The company has been doing really well year over year, which is why we keep growing. We have a diverse client portfolio (in other words, we're stable as an agency). As more and more baby boomers reach retirement, I'm confident that the future looks bright for GlynnDevins.

ConsBecause GlynnDevins has grown so much in the past few years, we're getting a little crowded in terms of office space but management is working on a plan to expand.

It's really hard for me to find cons that don't sound silly relative to the rest of the job experience here. They got rid of Pepsi in the soda machines and I'm not a Coke person.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to treat employees well and be forward-thinking as an agency.

Work comes first, there really isn't a second.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe young vibe, coffee, monthly meetings, freedom to change your work space as needed, the personalities of others you meet in other departments, the possibilities for promotion.

ConsBenefits are basic, not the worst, but not great. If you like drinking, this is a pro, but there is a bar in the middle of the cube farm and people have their drinks whenever. It is hard to take someone serious holding a red solo cup. Little to no training, you follow different people for a week. Not big enough to support the staff with growth so its your responsibility. The team structure works well but being in such small teams means one bad apple ruins them all.

Advice to Senior ManagementBoost HR and training, get rid of the bar, or give it one hour on Friday only. Good luck with your move.

Unenthused by this work place. Bored & not given enough work

Assistant Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsNice people to work with

ConsVery boring work. Was given busy work. Felt like a mailroom person more than a staff member

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dull, hopelessly clique-y and self-satisfied...but it's a job.

Client Service (Former Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

Pros- Upper management clearly cares about their employees. They provide excellent benefits.
    - **If you fit in**, you're going to do well and might end up staying a long time.
    - They appreciate a good party.
    - It's pretty predictable work, and it's generally easy.
    - Great work/life balance. Family seems to come first.
    - Mobility within the company is pretty good.
    - Good perks that come from time to time.

Cons- Middle management is convinced of their genius. This isn't rocket science.
    - New ideas are pretty hard to find, as is outside the box thinking. They want to think of themselves as innovative or creative, but unfortunately they fall short.
    - There are pretty rampant cliques, and if you don't fit in and/or are not white, married and pregnant, you probably will feel like an outsider. Gossipy, could be sometimes a mean-spirited office gossip environment.
    - Poor reputation in the Kansas City advertising community. They're not well-regarded. Most people who are serious about advertising see this job as a stepping stone. Lots of talented people leave to find a challenge and more relevant work.
    - The work just isn't very interesting.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep treating your employees well. Try more new things to shake up creative.

It was good in the past, but recently they've had a lot of fall-out from some drastic changes gone bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsThe office is located in Overland Park, which is ideal for south KC area residence. The hours are good 8am-5pm and there is not a lot of late nights or weekend work as there are at most ad agencies.

ConsThe agency is run by Client Service, so if you're not in Client Service, don't plan on being a big part of the strategy process. They are trying to make some improvements to this by adding some collaboration, but they are losing the very people that made GlynnDevins an industry leader in the first place. I would say the agency is having an identity crises right now.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget the people that made GD what it is. They are in such a hurry to make major changes that upper management has lost sight of the "good people". They are only putting stock in the new people which can be dangerous to the identity of the agency.

Great niche agency that genuinely cares about associates

Pros*Clear focus on a segment that is positioned to continue to grow
    *Owners and management who are invested in and reward employees
    *Amazing work/life balance
    *Strong client relationships with a volume of clients
    *The size of the agency provides every associate with the ability to recommend and often implement their strategies and ideas--in other words, you have the ability to make a difference at GD if you want to!

Cons* I don't think there are any cons that are outside the scope of other challenges you would encounter at any agency.

Advertising agency that rocks it old school - a safe, positive place to grow and thrive!

Overland Park, KS

ProsGenuine caring rational people; Benefits Package like our grandparents had; Balance that encourages real life; Team encouragement and Individual development.

ConsBased on my experience, so far I honestly can't find any! That's why I just had to post out here.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't stop doing what you're doing! In modern business culture it has to get tempting to stop reinvesting so heavily in your employees, stop caring so much about taking care of your clients, maybe coast a little instead of pushing the envelope creatively. Thank you for showing no signs of any of that. The amazing environment you've created is inspirational and frees us to be and do our best. This place feels like home. Thanks for taking care of us so well.

Very Average

Assistant Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsOffered a job right out of college

ConsNot enough to do
    Stale environment

Working at GlynnDevins is very frustrating and chaotic!

Overland Park, KS

Pros-Benefits are pretty good here

Cons-Unapprochable and not very helpful management
    -Very disorganinzed
    -Very little structure, which allows people to get away with things they shouldn't
    -Full of people who like to pass the buck
    -No one is held accountable
    -A lot of favoritism goes on
    -Very little help from management at times (depends on your manager)

Advice to Senior ManagementThings should be better planned and more direction given.

Check your creativity, common sense and talent at the door

Art Director (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsBetter than normal profit sharing
    Good retirement benefits
    Decent salary
    They like to drink and party.
    Multiple binge drinking events where spouses are not allowed. If you are into that.

ConsThey ask for creative, but work hard to fight it internally.
    Your opinion will not matter, ever.
    Most creatives are fired on the spot, no warning. Some cry.

Typical project.
    The creative brief: Copy and pasted to a point it might be quicker to just swap the client name. What it lacks in unique ideas or quality will be compensated for in creative expectation.
    You must now create something original, unique and inspiring from this pile o poop.
    Creative will review and give good feedback.
    On the journey through account service, a minimum of AEs from inter to Senior will critique and edit your work. Pray they are kind enough to use varied colored pens. These will not be suggestions and are not open to discussion. Your superior creatives will fold as they have their own hell to fight.
    Celebrate, this only lasts for about 12 rounds of revisions.
    Now your newly formed ideas are off to the client. If you are blessed, they will like it and you will have only 5-10 remaining AE rounds of changes. If not, back to square one.
    Last step, please explain your billing and why it took you so long to come up with on lame, half baked, over developed idea.

It will also wreak havoc on your portfolio. Always save your original work so you can show where the ideas were taken.

Hell holds paradise compared to Glynn Devins.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire all the creative. You don't really need or use them. The success or failure of any particular community is based more on preset media formulas. Creative is irrelevant. Something you have proven time and time again. Why waste your money?

Worked for GlynnDevins Marketing & Advertising? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GlynnDevins Marketing & Advertising reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GlynnDevins Marketing & Advertising CEO Jim Glynn. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by GlynnDevins Marketing & Advertising employees.