GlynnDevins Marketing & Advertising

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
3.3

Jim Glynn

Growing company, fast-paced, great people, awesome benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at GlynnDevins Marketing & Advertising full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There's a lot of growth, which is really exciting. The benefits are super & the environment is upbeat. Supportive of employees.

Cons

It's busy, lots of changes to accommodate the growth (moving desks, upgrading software, adjusting procedures), but it's worth the growing pains.

Amazing company culture, people, and work/life balance - I truly enjoy working here.

I have been working at GlynnDevins Marketing & Advertising full-time

Pros

GlynnDevins fosters a company culture which keeps you excited to come in to work every day. Everyone who surrounds you has a positive attitude, which in turn keeps you positive and upbeat. Management has an open door policy which encourages open communication, feedback, and discussion about any matter of importance to an employee - makes for a great atmosphere.

Cons

I am thoroughly satisfied with the values that GlynnDevins instills, it is very difficult to come up with a con.

Continue to foster and encourage growth and training opportunities, as this is a great benefit.

Great work/life balance, Awesome people, Career growth opportunities

Current Employee - Client Service
    Current Employee - Client Service

I have been working at GlynnDevins Marketing & Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people at the agency make it extremely enjoyable to come to work. Compared to other agencies I've been at, there is a definite acceptance and encouragement of a healthy work/life balance. This makes the time you spend at the office more enjoyable, because you know that when you go home, you're able to fully enjoy being home. The company culture is great - there are frequent gatherings and with being a mid-sized agency, you get to know all associates, and the senior management gets to know you. The ability and opportunity to be promoted in the Client Service department is very good and clear milestones are established so associates know what is needed to get to the next level. Benefits are very generous.

Cons

The physical space is being outgrown since our agency size is growing. We need to find a building that accommodates everyone under one roof.

You do a great job at employee appreciation. It's nice knowing employees are cared for by the senior management, and the impromptu gift cards/bonuses are always a welcomed treat.

Great People, Unsure Management

Former Employee - Account Executive in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Overland Park, KS

I worked at GlynnDevins Marketing & Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are fantastic. Company culture was upbeat and positive around the office. Pretty good amount of extracurriculars with co-workers and chances to get to know people. Company cares about their workers unless you're talking about work load

Cons

Management is inconsistent and unsure about where are want to take the company.
    Physical office space is too limited since the company has been growing. Needs new, larger physical plant. Immense work load for account services employees

Move - get a new building.

Clique-y, poor middle management

Current Employee - Account Executive in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Overland Park, KS

Pros

Decent benefits; some nice people - not a lot though

Cons

Too many to name, but cliquey for sure. If you get an account supervisor that thinks she is everything to the company, watch out. Not enough male co-workers. Too much the mean spirited back stabbing by the females. I knew on the first day that it wasn't a place for me. I had worked at the two largest agencies in the city and went here and thought they know nothing about running an agency! Minimal training other than following someone around for a week.

Work comes first, there really isn't a second.

I worked at GlynnDevins Marketing & Advertising full-time

Pros

The young vibe, coffee, monthly meetings, freedom to change your work space as needed, the personalities of others you meet in other departments, the possibilities for promotion.

Cons

Benefits are basic, not the worst, but not great. If you like drinking, this is a pro, but there is a bar in the middle of the cube farm and people have their drinks whenever. It is hard to take someone serious holding a red solo cup. Little to no training, you follow different people for a week. Not big enough to support the staff with growth so its your responsibility. The team structure works well but being in such small teams means one bad apple ruins them all.

Boost HR and training, get rid of the bar, or give it one hour on Friday only. Good luck with your move.

Unenthused by this work place. Bored & not given enough work

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Overland Park, KS

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Very boring work. Was given busy work. Felt like a mailroom person more than a staff member

I love working at GlynnDevins and feel fortunate to have landed here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Pros

I work with an awesome group of people. There's great work/life balance, we all get along, work hard and enjoy working with each other. The leaders here are forward-thinking, lead by example and truly care about the success of team members and the agency as a whole. People seem genuinely happy here, myself included. The turnover at GlynnDevins is really very low.

The company takes care of its employees. We have summer hours (half-day Fridays), happy hours, great benefits, monthly agency meetings so employees are all kept in the loop, employee recognition, ongoing training is supported and encouraged, technology is kept up-to-date, there is an end-of-year bonus for every employee, management constantly asks for feedback from employees. I could go on and on.

The company has been doing really well year over year, which is why we keep growing. We have a diverse client portfolio (in other words, we're stable as an agency). As more and more baby boomers reach retirement, I'm confident that the future looks bright for GlynnDevins.

Cons

Because GlynnDevins has grown so much in the past few years, we're getting a little crowded in terms of office space but management is working on a plan to expand.

It's really hard for me to find cons that don't sound silly relative to the rest of the job experience here. They got rid of Pepsi in the soda machines and I'm not a Coke person.

Continue to treat employees well and be forward-thinking as an agency.

Dull, hopelessly clique-y and self-satisfied...but it's a job.

Former Employee - Client Service in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Client Service in Overland Park, KS

I worked at GlynnDevins Marketing & Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Upper management clearly cares about their employees. They provide excellent benefits.
    - **If you fit in**, you're going to do well and might end up staying a long time.
    - They appreciate a good party.
    - It's pretty predictable work, and it's generally easy.
    - Great work/life balance. Family seems to come first.
    - Mobility within the company is pretty good.
    - Good perks that come from time to time.

Cons

- Middle management is convinced of their genius. This isn't rocket science.
    - New ideas are pretty hard to find, as is outside the box thinking. They want to think of themselves as innovative or creative, but unfortunately they fall short.
    - There are pretty rampant cliques, and if you don't fit in and/or are not white, married and pregnant, you probably will feel like an outsider. Gossipy, could be sometimes a mean-spirited office gossip environment.
    - Poor reputation in the Kansas City advertising community. They're not well-regarded. Most people who are serious about advertising see this job as a stepping stone. Lots of talented people leave to find a challenge and more relevant work.
    - The work just isn't very interesting.

Keep treating your employees well. Try more new things to shake up creative.

It was good in the past, but recently they've had a lot of fall-out from some drastic changes gone bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at GlynnDevins Marketing & Advertising full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The office is located in Overland Park, which is ideal for south KC area residence. The hours are good 8am-5pm and there is not a lot of late nights or weekend work as there are at most ad agencies.

Cons

The agency is run by Client Service, so if you're not in Client Service, don't plan on being a big part of the strategy process. They are trying to make some improvements to this by adding some collaboration, but they are losing the very people that made GlynnDevins an industry leader in the first place. I would say the agency is having an identity crises right now.

Don't forget the people that made GD what it is. They are in such a hurry to make major changes that upper management has lost sight of the "good people". They are only putting stock in the new people which can be dangerous to the identity of the agency.

GlynnDevins Marketing & Advertising Photos