GoDaddy

GoDaddy Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving

Blake Irving

Pros:
  • "Good hourly base pay, good benefits if you're single"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Great Benefits (Although it will take you at least 90 days to get them)"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "Transitioning from the call center to corporate is extremely difficult to do"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Middle management and upper level direction is questionable at times"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Time to move on; very disappointing.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsIf you like working in a fun, fast-pace environment, for an Internet leader, GoDaddy may be the place for you. There is a lot of opportunity to learn, and contribute new ideas. Old management, under Bob Parsons had a "get 'er done" kind of attitude. They were very collaborative, very much a team oriented mentality. In many ways, this still exists, but this appears to be fading. Still, GoDaddy does a lot for their employees, at least for now. Benefits are generally good, not stellar; pay is on the low end of respectable. They offer a lot of nice perks, like free lunches, quarterly team-building outings, an unlimited flexible time off policy, and the most epic company holiday party you will ever witness! Bob Parsons was the most dynamic, hard-nosed, demanding, generous, fun guy I ever worked for. I miss the Bob Parsons GoDaddy.

ConsA year ago, I would have rated 5 stars and been hard pressed to write more than a sentence here. Today however, is a totally different GoDaddy. The new focus of the company is on preparing to "go public". Perception to the market is much more important than substance of character. The new regime, hand-picked by, and including the new CEO Blake Irving, have zero respect for the established employees. The people who grew the company into one worthy of being bought, and now in a position to go public, are completely disposable. This talks to loyalty, of which there is none. You will be much more valued as an employee if you start now, than if you were hired under Bob Parsons.

Blake Irving is a fun guy on the outside, and tries to be what Bob Parsons is, but he will never be what Bob Parsons is. He is from California, and is desperate to move the company HQ there. I predict this will eventually happen, even though most smart companies are fleeing the state. He is also dead-set on building what he has termed "centers of excellence" on the west coast nearer the other big Internet players. Rather than continue to be the company that stands out and kills it on their own, he wants to blend in with the popular crowd; again this is strictly for perception. The people being hired at these new locations are surely very talented, no doubt, but no better than what GoDaddy already has in Arizona, Iowa, and Colorado, and it is a total slap in the face to hear from executive management that you are not "excellent" simply because you don't live in Seattle or Sunnyvale. If you are a technical resource working in Iowa or Arizona, your position is most likely in jeopardy as well. Not eminently, but eventually those "centers of excellence" will be where you need to be to succeed, and you will be pressured to move there, if not told you must, to keep your job, as most in Denver were. If you are working in a call center, your job is most likely secure, but don't expect to move up from there.

When starting at GoDaddy, negotiate the absolute highest salary you can, as you will not get more than a cost of living raise ever. They spend an inordinate amount of time on HR processes and studies only to throw much of the data away; again perception. I really do like the CPO - Auguste Goldman. Coincidentally he is an old regime guy, and my guess is he often doesn't get to do what he would like to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoyalty to your employees is not just a buzzword. Holiday party aside, the other 364 days of the year matter! Actually using your MBA means knowing re-orgs, re-structuring, and downsizing (especially when there is no economic need,) are the tools of the incompetent. Growing a company does NOT involve cutting off one of your arms when things are going well. Moving people around and closing down offices for no reason, makes you look like you don't know what you're doing. It really is too bad that in this industry, CEO's can make wildly bad decisions and still succeed. GoDaddy will surely survive, but could have done so much better had you stayed awake in class.

One of the hardest, but most satisfying jobs I ever had.

Manager (Former Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsI had the ability to affect change on a grand scale and significant opportunity for career advancement. In 2010 the COO was 3 levels above me and KNEW me and the members of my groups. Figuring out how to work with such a huge environment was challenging and I had ample chance to feel accomplished.

ConsPart of GoDaddy's success was that the highest levels took a deep interest in what was happening bellow them. This has it's plusses, but it negatively affected in that every level of my chain of command directly contacted me for information, often the same. Raises were not given with promotions, I received very nice merit increases with review process and one market increase, but still ended my time significantly under salary for my role.

Exhilarating

Scottsdale, AZ

ProsThe people are great, execs have passion, nothing but excitement and enthusiasm emanates from within
    Having worked in the high-tech industry for 20+ years, only now have I felt empowered

ConsInternal tools a little wonky

Advice to Senior ManagementBreath of fresh air

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting place to work

Customer Development Team (Former Employee)
    Gilbert, AZ

ProsThe starting pay was good for the time , but i believe itr may have been lowered since i worked there. Good benefits. Hiring process may be a bit awkward with multiple tests include a skill and some sort of standardized hiring test, but i understand its fairly easy to pass. Holiday parties are huge and usually a fun time, plenty of vacation and

ConsWhen i was hired I was told it was for tech support and once i was a week in it was clear it was sales based, so just be aware. you will be given enough time to pick up the swing of things but if you really don't want to do sales then any of the entry level positions aren't for you.

requirements and procedures used to constantly change, but with new investors things may have changed

So glad to have left

IT Professional (Former Employee)
    Scottsdale, AZ

ProsThe health insurance premiums and co-pays are a little better than market. The two dollar lunches are good and you can buy food as you leave for the day which makes for an inexpensive family meal.

ConsSo many things to write that there is not enough space. Managers are picked on the basis of who has been there the longest. There are constant insults being hurled in order to meet unrealistic deadlines. Annual reviews are pure fiction. In order to save money everyone is rated low. People leave like the place is on fire but there is no effort to replace them. They treat you the best when you give your notice in hopes that you will stay. The thing is many would have stayed had they been treated better all along.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more tolerant of people who have backgrounds and beliefs that are different than yours. Work on getting better benefits for all employees such as life insurance that is not 4 times more expensive than any other company in the industry. How many years does it take to call an insurance company and ask for a quote? Don't beat your employees down and then wonder why they leave. The only ones who will stay are those who can't find a job elsewhere.

Purpose: Ask the right questions / advice to senior management.

Senior .NET Developer (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThis review probably doesn't mean a lot since the Denver office is set for closure. A lot of very smart hardworking people are sad to see it go. But, most of us hold no hostility towards a company that is simply changing quickly and likely slated for great things in the future. It's their choice. Though most think it was a mistake for obvious reasons.

So to the perspective employee: This is a wonderful company in many ways! Good benefits. Great work life balance! Pay is above average. Stock options. Relaxed dress code. Game rooms, beer fridges, unbeatable vacation policy, amazing facilities in the areas they decided to develop! Depending on the department, it is a bleeding edge tech company. Departments where that isn't the case are going to change / are changing.

Given recent events there are two very important questions you should ask:

1. What value does my department have to the company? How do you measure it?
    2. What is being done to improve this location (x location) and make it "a center of excellence?"

Working at GoDaddy is like watching a great TV show with an amazing story and great characters. But, in this case the writers aren't afraid to kill off half the main characters and start over multiple times for no apparent reason. I'm not just speaking to the Denver layoff. Make sure your character / department has staying power. This company gets better for you the longer you are here. More opportunities, more money, more chances to make a difference the more tenured you are. There are many reasons for that, but mainly it's a matter of just getting familiar with the business and getting to know people. GoDaddy is the kind of company where if it makes sense to do it - you are most of the time free to make a difference and a change for the better. All that however strongly depends on your department / location combination.

ConsI've had few complaints here. But here they are...

1. Under-qualified middle management in some departments. Home grown managers. Some are good, some aren't. This is improving.
    2. Under staffed network teams. Simple changes take months. This is NOT improving.
    3. HR so understaffed and/or just un-involved so much so, they are viewed as non-existent. NOT improving.
    4. Recruiting has been getting better, but still throws a lot of bad fits over the wall. This is improving.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall you are doing a great job. You had great momentum behind you until recent events. The way you closed Denver killed some of this. It didn't make sense for GoDaddy or its investors. 90% of these employees will get jobs for more money in short order, yet I got the distinct impression there was a lot of pity going around. Which shows your lack of knowledge about how this will play out. Before filling you in on why I say this, I have to say; we definitely appreciate the generous termination packages being offered. Not all companies would offer this. Thank you! This is a testament to the kind of company you are and a saving grace.

The issue you have to deal with is that only a handful of the employees in Denver are staying with the company. Regardless of the offer to reapply and keep their job, this event will be viewed as the biggest layoff in GoDaddy history. It will cost you 10s of millions in unproductive time while new employees are on-boarded. But the worst of it, is that one of your other centers are already questioning their value and you can say little to change this. There is a lack of trust you're going to have to overcome. There is a correct way to close a center and there's a rash way and you made a poor choice doing the latter. GoDaddy is still a small company. It isn't Google or MS yet and you can't just close a center and let go of all the employees all at once without hurting your bottom line. This was a mistake.

All this aside, it is far too late to back-track on your decision now as most employees here already have one foot out the door. You don't want them to stay on remote at this point. What you need to do, is own up to the fact that this was a mistake both with your investors and your employees and do some damage control. Also, kicking employees out a month before their stock options vest is kinda cheesy. Stock options are cheap. You should have figured out a way to cut cost somewhere else in the layoff package and let them keep the options. That would have bought you a lot more forgiveness and good will.

Best place to work while Bob Parsons led the company

Software Development (Former Employee)
    Hiawatha, IA

ProsMy rating went from a 5 to a 2 in the last 3 years. While Bob ran the show, you truly felt valued as a an employee. You felt like you were an important part of delivering value to the highly valued customer. You were also encouraged to come up with new product concepts based on your experience in the marketplace and suggest ways to improve existing products. Team pride in delivering value to customers and having fun were the highest priorities. Every year the company flew-in all who were directly involved with software development for an annual TechFest in Arizona. This was an awesome opportunity to meet people in person whom you only had electronic interactions with. It was also a wonderful learning/collaoboration opportunity. Peers presented exciting new technology and provided resources for future use. There were so many valuable presentations that you could not attend them all. Eventually the presentations were captured via digital video so you could access them from the company intranet site.

ConsOnce KKR started to drive the company more and Bob Parsons faded away to the Board of Directors, uncertainty drove a dog eat dog culture. Directors in different geographic locations became more concerned about building their corner of the company and less concerned about delivering value to the customer. Re-orgs occurred more frequently and some new managers did some pretty shady things to end careers of great people. Some employees were even reprimanded for using their free time to take part in company-sponsored new product idea submission opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-instate Bob's 16 rules, get rid of managers who operate unethically and stop managing by fear.

Good job to fill a temporary void but don't expect to advance or not have to sell your soul

Professional Hosting Services (Current Employee)
    Gilbert, AZ

ProsGreat pay! Great Benefits! In recent times they have allowed more wiggle room to advance into different departments as well.

ConsHigh sales expectations. If you do not sale you will get fired. Company put more strict guidelines that make it harder to make a "bonus" and have a person stay on the phone for their whole shift minus a lunch and break. Unless you are a natural born salesperson I wouldn't reccomend this job to you

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is really caring but I believe that the days of saying making a certain sales numbers or get fired are over. Also open more job positions that don't require sales. If people seen that there was a future with GoDaddy they might not quit or get discouraged showing up to a futureless job.

Intense atmosphere

Inbound Sales and Support (Former Employee)
    Gilbert, AZ

ProsThe company does a great job of offering lots of prizes and incentives.

ConsI felt like I was working in the cube farm.

Most of the old regime has been eradicated.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule with management approval.

ConsThe remnants of the old regime are still around, if not in word, in the back of some of the older management minds. Upper management is inconsistent for handling similar situations. Wait and see attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on the same page, and follow through alike. Once direction is set, don't shift focus for perceived higher impact projects.

Worked for GoDaddy? Contribute to the Community!

GoDaddy Videos

GoDaddy – Why Work for Us?

We are changing the Internet and the world - one customer at a time. As the world’s leading domain registrar and web host, Go Daddy is dedicated to helping small business and entrepreneurs — wherever they are in the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GoDaddy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving. All 240 reviews posted anonymously by GoDaddy employees.