GoDaddy

GoDaddy Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving

Blake Irving

Pros
  • Great Benefits (Although it will take you at least 90 days to get them)(in 24 reviews)

• Good hourly base pay, good benefits if you're single(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Transitioning from the call center to corporate is extremely difficult to do(in 18 reviews)

• Though, given the amount of time it's been since I was there - that may have changed(in 6 reviews)

Changing Fast

Database Developer (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsWe're the best at what we do, by a long stretch.

We do "impossible things" all the time.

We are going to change the world economy to be more favorable for small business success.

The internal integrity of the company is very high. I have never seen any accusation of wrongdoing against GoDaddy that agrees with the way we run our part of the company, and have seen us make decisions to do many things for no more reason than "that's the right thing to do."

ConsGD has always been a good place to work. Lately, there has been a big shift toward turning our infrastructure into a Microsoft / Yahoo clone. The only problem is that means we are pulling in people from default tech places like Silicon Valley and Seattle who don't really know about being a registrar or hosting company. We are losing our distinctiveness as the highly-empowered newbies make us look like the companies they left.

Also, people are quick to criticize GD from the outside. However, the things they say are almost always completely unfounded. I just skimmed our Wiki article, and so much of the negative info in that article is false. But you have to have a little bit of a thick skin to be this far ahead of your competition - someone is bound to complain.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome people have given a good portion of their lives to building this company. Please do not give their equity to your highly-empowered newbies.

Purpose: Ask the right questions / advice to senior management.

Senior .NET Developer (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThis review probably doesn't mean a lot since the Denver office is set for closure. A lot of very smart hardworking people are sad to see it go. But, most of us hold no hostility towards a company that is simply changing quickly and likely slated for great things in the future. It's their choice. Though most think it was a mistake for obvious reasons.

So to the perspective employee: This is a wonderful company in many ways! Good benefits. Great work life balance! Pay is above average. Stock options. Relaxed dress code. Game rooms, beer fridges, unbeatable vacation policy, amazing facilities in the areas they decided to develop! Depending on the department, it is a bleeding edge tech company. Departments where that isn't the case are going to change / are changing.

Given recent events there are two very important questions you should ask:

1. What value does my department have to the company? How do you measure it?
    2. What is being done to improve this location (x location) and make it "a center of excellence?"

Working at GoDaddy is like watching a great TV show with an amazing story and great characters. But, in this case the writers aren't afraid to kill off half the main characters and start over multiple times for no apparent reason. I'm not just speaking to the Denver layoff. Make sure your character / department has staying power. This company gets better for you the longer you are here. More opportunities, more money, more chances to make a difference the more tenured you are. There are many reasons for that, but mainly it's a matter of just getting familiar with the business and getting to know people. GoDaddy is the kind of company where if it makes sense to do it - you are most of the time free to make a difference and a change for the better. All that however strongly depends on your department / location combination.

ConsI've had few complaints here. But here they are...

1. Under-qualified middle management in some departments. Home grown managers. Some are good, some aren't. This is improving.
    2. Under staffed network teams. Simple changes take months. This is NOT improving.
    3. HR so understaffed and/or just un-involved so much so, they are viewed as non-existent. NOT improving.
    4. Recruiting has been getting better, but still throws a lot of bad fits over the wall. This is improving.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall you are doing a great job. You had great momentum behind you until recent events. The way you closed Denver killed some of this. It didn't make sense for GoDaddy or its investors. 90% of these employees will get jobs for more money in short order, yet I got the distinct impression there was a lot of pity going around. Which shows your lack of knowledge about how this will play out. Before filling you in on why I say this, I have to say; we definitely appreciate the generous termination packages being offered. Not all companies would offer this. Thank you! This is a testament to the kind of company you are and a saving grace.

The issue you have to deal with is that only a handful of the employees in Denver are staying with the company. Regardless of the offer to reapply and keep their job, this event will be viewed as the biggest layoff in GoDaddy history. It will cost you 10s of millions in unproductive time while new employees are on-boarded. But the worst of it, is that one of your other centers are already questioning their value and you can say little to change this. There is a lack of trust you're going to have to overcome. There is a correct way to close a center and there's a rash way and you made a poor choice doing the latter. GoDaddy is still a small company. It isn't Google or MS yet and you can't just close a center and let go of all the employees all at once without hurting your bottom line. This was a mistake.

All this aside, it is far too late to back-track on your decision now as most employees here already have one foot out the door. You don't want them to stay on remote at this point. What you need to do, is own up to the fact that this was a mistake both with your investors and your employees and do some damage control. Also, kicking employees out a month before their stock options vest is kinda cheesy. Stock options are cheap. You should have figured out a way to cut cost somewhere else in the layoff package and let them keep the options. That would have bought you a lot more forgiveness and good will.

Always changing and great learning opportunities

ProsGreat benefits, flexible schedule, has a very unique culture, allow me to grow my career

ConsSalary is not competitive enough.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good if starting, good if retiring

Senior .NET Developer (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsFast Paced
    Employees are appreciated
    Fun
    Flexible schedule

ConsIf your looking for cutting edge, this isn't the place
    Almost always "Crunch Time"
    Always trying to do things "their way" without trying it by the book first.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation is great and the atmosphere is fun.
    Please, please, please better communicate your decisions and listen to the people who are actually executing on your plans.

Great place for me at the time

Billing Representative (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsFun, easy, good pay, great benefits.

ConsRough attendance policy. Schedules are flexible but sometimes hard to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't implement changes based on the lowest common denominator.

READ ALL THE 1 STAR REVIEWS, They Are 100% TRUE! Sorry Bob Parsons sold out!

Customer Sales and Support (Current Employee) Gilbert, AZ

ProsWeeks of vacation you can never use.

ConsThe list of the ways you can get fired or laid off are very long. Not selling enough, on your free tech calls, being sick to much, reporting management to HR, customers make up lies about you when you do not help them build their free website or if you can not fix the broke products which are broke because of down servers, things beyond a reps control, long commute, because they will not let you work at the office that is close to you, small dirty cubicles, you get the idea.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, because they are not willing to listen to the lowly 24/7 365 days a year sales and support reps that keep their company running.

Outbound calls on Xmas

Outbound Sales (Former Employee) Gilbert, AZ

ProsPeople and lunch, people and lunch

ConsMakes you sell people on Xmas day and expect sales on those type days

Advice to Senior ManagementReally?

I took a gamble coming here, and the gamble has paid off.

ProsGoDaddy is in a changing state since Blake Irving took over and for the better. I like the feeling of actually being able to make an impact then just feeling like another number. Seeing the transition of the company and actually being someone here makes me proud to be apart of this

ConsHuge transitions are happening daily, so changes are bound to happen

A great company to grow up in

Linux Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Gilbert, AZ

ProsThey gave me essentially all of my professional experience. At GoDaddy, I was able to work my way up from a phone rep to be a systems administrator. It was an incredibly rewarding and satisfying experience.

ConsIt's hard to be upset with them with how much support they gave me. I really outgrew them. Once you get to a certain level in IT, you become attractive to Silicon Valley, and GoDaddy does nothing to really compete with the valley in either salary or stock options.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is really advice to the investors and to C-level executives: You are hemorrhaging talent because you don't award meaningful stock. Companies in California are happy to pay way more, and award life changing amounts of stock to their engineers. You aren't. How can you expect to attract and retain highly skilled engineers without any kind of competitive stock plan? Even your best and brightest get a paltry amount of options, that you reserve the right to buy back if an employee leaves before the end of their entire vesting schedule (five years), which was done in my case (I've never seen or heard of this done in Silicon Valley). To buy back stock from an employee after they had been there for over four years is almost punitive.

GoDaddy review

ProsCan make a great living, free healthcare, and a lot of shift options

ConsBonus structure changes a lot and to become a manager you have to break into the good ol boys club.

Worked for GoDaddy? Contribute to the Community!