GoDaddy Reviews in Denver, CO

Updated June 6, 2014
3.1

GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving
Blake Irving

Pros
  • Great Benefits (Although it will take you at least 90 days to get them) (in 24 reviews)

• Good hourly base pay, good benefits if you're single (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Transitioning from the call center to corporate is extremely difficult to do (in 18 reviews)

• Though, given the amount of time it's been since I was there - that may have changed (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun while it lasted

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at GoDaddy full-time

Pros

I loved the EAI's, which stood for Employee Appreciation Initiative. Basically as a team you would take off early for the day and go have fun together. Godaddy also paid for a motorcycle introduction class on my behalf. Health insurance was better than average for the industry.

Cons

New leadership has it's pros and cons. Leadership, IMHO, are moving toward traditional internet company hubs like seattle and bay area in california, and out of other locations. Going through growing pains as company tries to go public.

Time to move on; very disappointing.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at GoDaddy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you like working in a fun, fast-pace environment, for an Internet leader, GoDaddy may be the place for you. There is a lot of opportunity to learn, and contribute new ideas. Old management, under Bob Parsons had a "get 'er done" kind of attitude. They were very collaborative, very much a team oriented mentality. In many ways, this still exists, but this appears to be fading. Still, GoDaddy does a lot for their employees, at least for now. Benefits are generally good, not stellar; pay is on the low end of respectable. They offer a lot of nice perks, like free lunches, quarterly team-building outings, an unlimited flexible time off policy, and the most epic company holiday party you will ever witness! Bob Parsons was the most dynamic, hard-nosed, demanding, generous, fun guy I ever worked for. I miss the Bob Parsons GoDaddy.

Cons

A year ago, I would have rated 5 stars and been hard pressed to write more than a sentence here. Today however, is a totally different GoDaddy. The new focus of the company is on preparing to "go public". Perception to the market is much more important than substance of character. The new regime, hand-picked by, and including the new CEO Blake Irving, have zero respect for the established employees. The people who grew the company into one worthy of being bought, and now in a position to go public, are completely disposable. This talks to loyalty, of which there is none. You will be much more valued as an employee if you start now, than if you were hired under Bob Parsons.

Blake Irving is a fun guy on the outside, and tries to be what Bob Parsons is, but he will never be what Bob Parsons is. He is from California, and is desperate to move the company HQ there. I predict this will eventually happen, even though most smart companies are fleeing the state. He is also dead-set on building what he has termed "centers of excellence" on the west coast nearer the other big Internet players. Rather than continue to be the company that stands out and kills it on their own, he wants to blend in with the popular crowd; again this is strictly for perception. The people being hired at these new locations are surely very talented, no doubt, but no better than what GoDaddy already has in Arizona, Iowa, and Colorado, and it is a total slap in the face to hear from executive management that you are not "excellent" simply because you don't live in Seattle or Sunnyvale. If you are a technical resource working in Iowa or Arizona, your position is most likely in jeopardy as well. Not eminently, but eventually those "centers of excellence" will be where you need to be to succeed, and you will be pressured to move there, if not told you must, to keep your job, as most in Denver were. If you are working in a call center, your job is most likely secure, but don't expect to move up from there.

When starting at GoDaddy, negotiate the absolute highest salary you can, as you will not get more than a cost of living raise ever. They spend an inordinate amount of time on HR processes and studies only to throw much of the data away; again perception. I really do like the CPO - Auguste Goldman. Coincidentally he is an old regime guy, and my guess is he often doesn't get to do what he would like to do.

Loyalty to your employees is not just a buzzword. Holiday party aside, the other 364 days of the year matter! Actually using your MBA means knowing re-orgs, re-structuring, and downsizing (especially when there is no economic need,) are the tools of the incompetent. Growing a company does NOT involve cutting off one of your arms when things are going well. Moving people around and closing down offices for no reason, makes you look like you don't know what you're doing. It really is too bad that in this industry, CEO's can make wildly bad decisions and still succeed. GoDaddy will surely survive, but could have done so much better had you stayed awake in class.

Purpose: Ask the right questions / advice to senior management.

Current Employee - Senior .NET Developer  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior .NET Developer in Denver, CO

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This review probably doesn't mean a lot since the Denver office is set for closure. A lot of very smart hardworking people are sad to see it go. But, most of us hold no hostility towards a company that is simply changing quickly and likely slated for great things in the future. It's their choice. Though most think it was a mistake for obvious reasons.

So to the perspective employee: This is a wonderful company in many ways! Good benefits. Great work life balance! Pay is above average. Stock options. Relaxed dress code. Game rooms, beer fridges, unbeatable vacation policy, amazing facilities in the areas they decided to develop! Depending on the department, it is a bleeding edge tech company. Departments where that isn't the case are going to change / are changing.

Given recent events there are two very important questions you should ask:

1. What value does my department have to the company? How do you measure it?
    2. What is being done to improve this location (x location) and make it "a center of excellence?"

Working at GoDaddy is like watching a great TV show with an amazing story and great characters. But, in this case the writers aren't afraid to kill off half the main characters and start over multiple times for no apparent reason. I'm not just speaking to the Denver layoff. Make sure your character / department has staying power. This company gets better for you the longer you are here. More opportunities, more money, more chances to make a difference the more tenured you are. There are many reasons for that, but mainly it's a matter of just getting familiar with the business and getting to know people. GoDaddy is the kind of company where if it makes sense to do it - you are most of the time free to make a difference and a change for the better. All that however strongly depends on your department / location combination.

Cons

I've had few complaints here. But here they are...

1. Under-qualified middle management in some departments. Home grown managers. Some are good, some aren't. This is improving.
    2. Under staffed network teams. Simple changes take months. This is NOT improving.
    3. HR so understaffed and/or just un-involved so much so, they are viewed as non-existent. NOT improving.
    4. Recruiting has been getting better, but still throws a lot of bad fits over the wall. This is improving.

Overall you are doing a great job. You had great momentum behind you until recent events. The way you closed Denver killed some of this. It didn't make sense for GoDaddy or its investors. 90% of these employees will get jobs for more money in short order, yet I got the distinct impression there was a lot of pity going around. Which shows your lack of knowledge about how this will play out. Before filling you in on why I say this, I have to say; we definitely appreciate the generous termination packages being offered. Not all companies would offer this. Thank you! This is a testament to the kind of company you are and a saving grace.

The issue you have to deal with is that only a handful of the employees in Denver are staying with the company. Regardless of the offer to reapply and keep their job, this event will be viewed as the biggest layoff in GoDaddy history. It will cost you 10s of millions in unproductive time while new employees are on-boarded. But the worst of it, is that one of your other centers are already questioning their value and you can say little to change this. There is a lack of trust you're going to have to overcome. There is a correct way to close a center and there's a rash way and you made a poor choice doing the latter. GoDaddy is still a small company. It isn't Google or MS yet and you can't just close a center and let go of all the employees all at once without hurting your bottom line. This was a mistake.

All this aside, it is far too late to back-track on your decision now as most employees here already have one foot out the door. You don't want them to stay on remote at this point. What you need to do, is own up to the fact that this was a mistake both with your investors and your employees and do some damage control. Also, kicking employees out a month before their stock options vest is kinda cheesy. Stock options are cheap. You should have figured out a way to cut cost somewhere else in the layoff package and let them keep the options. That would have bought you a lot more forgiveness and good will.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good if starting, good if retiring

Current Employee - Senior .NET Developer  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior .NET Developer in Denver, CO

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast Paced
    Employees are appreciated
    Fun
    Flexible schedule

Cons

If your looking for cutting edge, this isn't the place
    Almost always "Crunch Time"
    Always trying to do things "their way" without trying it by the book first.

Compensation is great and the atmosphere is fun.
    Please, please, please better communicate your decisions and listen to the people who are actually executing on your plans.

Exciting, rewarding, liberating place to work!

Current Employee - IT, Software Development, Internal Tools  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - IT, Software Development, Internal Tools in Denver, CO

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Quite some time ago I left a 2 star review and felt as though my time at GoDaddy would never last more than 1 year at most. I was probably miss-hired/miss-led and that alone made me pretty upset. My working environment wasn't any better and nothing about GoDaddy made me want to stay. I was thrown into a company that was in many ways in complete chaos and I literally felt as though I had made the worst decision of my career. I immediately started looking for other jobs. I found a few, but was hesitant to make the same mistake twice, so I never left. Here I am a few years later and everything has changed.

I've never been more happy, excited and motivated working at any company as I am today. Some changes came slowly, for instance, Denver has a new office, better organization, and slowly changed from an outcast little remote group to a growing hub of recognized professionals and leaders. I have for a while thought about revising my review. More recently many drastic changes for the better have been made and I must change this review to reflect what's really going on here.

I think the biggest thing is that all road blocks to individual and company success are being aggressively hunted down and destroyed by our leadership. GoDaddy is poised for something great to happen and I feel fortunate to be a part of it. Aside from the working environment being drastically improved, here are a few other things that are great:

- 4 days off a year for company sponsored team building events
     - Regular free food and drinks
     - Game room, relaxation areas with TVs, etc.
     - No dress code
     - Better benefits, health, growing financial incentives
     - Employee paid education, certifications etc.
     - Up to date hardware
     - Adoption of industry standards, agile dev approach, and very cutting edge, aggressive technology adoption
     - A new vacation policy that is by far the best I've seen/heard of at any company in any industry. Literally, when I tell my friends they think I'm joking.

GoDaddy is poised with new management to be the next big thing. Our new CEO has a wonderful vision and new direction. Some of this was revealed in his latest interview which you can easily find available via a quick search. Not sure what all I'm at liberty to say. So, I'll just leave at this: At least interview here. It's worth your time!

Cons

You still have to actually work. :) There are some long hours ahead and major growth. That could be a Con. However, I think most people are very motivated and feel it will be worth it.

A caution: GoDaddy is still a bit of a startup environment in many ways. They are less structured than say a large engineering firm or government tech contractor that has been around for the last 30 - 60 years. Some people really need that structure and those people generally leave before long. I wouldn't say GoDaddy is un-structured. But, they focus first and foremost on getting things done and removing road blocks.

Also, there are still things that need improving as I'm sure our management staff is aware. Titles are the one thing that comes to mind. This has changed in some departments already. But, titles aren't very industry standard like: Dev, Senior Dev, Senior Dev II. Etc. etc.

You are doing a wonderful job. Everyone is excited, motivated and ready to give 150% for our vision to become reality. You've rallied the troops and we are behind you all the way. That's something you should be proud of. This is something that true leadership does.

It's not just about the beer fridge, new vacation policy, relaxed everything environment and removing all road blocks to productivity. Those things are all nice and some even necessary. But, when you combine that with a vision for success that everyone can get behind, you will excite people and can accomplish anything. You're doing it right. Keep it up!

Good growth, decent benefits, love some perks

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Godaddy is challenging, It is always fun to go on employee appreciation outings. Company has not gone public yet, so timing is good.

Cons

work is time consuming at times, there are high expectations. culture changing slowly but surely.

Highly Political, Very Corporate, Fail to Honor Offer Letters

Current Employee - Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at GoDaddy

Pros

vacation accrual rate is better than average.

Cons

Good old boys in Phoenix insure only ideas from Phoenix carry any weight. If you have career aspirations and don't live in Phoenix, don't bother, very cliqueish company. KKR buyout resulting in lots of changes for the worse. Pay scales are going down, as are budgets for employee recognition.

Not a place for the technically competant

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO

I have been working at GoDaddy

Pros

good salary and benefits. good work life balance, in part coming from the poor project and time management, so you have lots of down time

Cons

1. They code like it is 1995. They do not use modern coding standards
    2. They are very reactive to bad events, not pro-active in adopting technologies that avoid these events.
    3. They have huge complex systems with code that "self documents" needless to say no one understands what is going on at all.
    4. They adopt a standard for an old technology (e.g. SQL Server 2000) then fail to change the standards for newer technologies.
    5. There is no project management or system design. There is simply a ticket system so you write code to the individual ticket with no other design

Adopt some form of project management methodology and create a software architects office

Worked for GoDaddy? Contribute to the Community!