GoDaddy

GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving

Blake Irving

155 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not a .COM anymore - Just a more hip call center

Technical Support and Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsGood benefits right out of the box. Great HR and Payroll Departments for getting support when needed. Casual dress + , many shifts and locations to accommodate. You always have low but possible chance of getting a big commission sale. Little and few call scripts to follow (less then most places, some ability to surf the web and rap about customers sites. 6 weeks vacation into your 5th year. Party's and contests.

ConsDon't get my review wrong, this was a awesome place to be part of before. Its now in my option almost impossible to consistently make bonus (which is needed to make it all worth the gig) without forcing non needed products and terms to older / confused people. Agents are now cutthroat for sales and no longer work together. Massive changes day to day in policy, costs, refunds, commissions, and what must be done within a call. Brain Drain ... finding support in house in not as easy as it once was. Customers are no longer happy callers, they seem very entitled to their 1.00 website builder and they demand and raise heck when they dont get the support they want. Most callers now ... dont know what an address bar is - nor how to type in non CAPS, or find a (!) on a keyboard. Every changing metrics that will make you run in circles and change the way you do your job to meet on the daily. Parking is most often a long walk. Expect this a 14.00+ an hour job with rigid guidelines, and be happy if you get a bonus how and then.

Advice to Senior Management:: Who is Management; Six years and I still don't know. Everyone will say ... " yea that's so bad XYZ happened and I'm totally on your side" now lets get back out there. Nothing ever can be changed or fixed but everyone just placates you and that's where it ends.

Please Stop Changing how we get paid - this stuff is not a joke, its our lives. Its not uncommon to be dead broke and then rolling in it. We are people, and we have bills . . . lives even, if you want to keep changing the way people get paid - how much - what tiers and so on then let people stay on the plans they were hired on , or , tell them when they are hired you have no idea what they might make and it might change but the hourly is for sure.

Pay attention to how bad the site is, how angry the customers really can be, and how bad the support/products have gotten across the board. You have floor mangers smiling and joking about how little support (tech) they know, this then in MOST cases goes all the way down lower management. Have any of you recently taken a full weeks calls. Have you went to go hunt down answers ... real answers, not just whats going to make them call back, tired to make the minimums and full-fill the requirements and see where you end up? The answer is not that you are out the of the Loop; because new agents are dropped on the floor with two weeks training, you know more than that.

My experience with GoDaddy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGoDaddy used to be one of the best places to work that I have ever seen. I started ten years ago and was able to see the company grow and the opportunities with it. During this time I was promoted on the average of every 18 months. Then things started to change.

ConsWhen the company brought in the new investors, the employees were forgotten. Bob Parsons always made sure they had been rewarded for hard work, recognized for what they had done. The new investors took this away and turned the company back into basically a glorified call center. People couldn't get out of there fast enough, myself included. GoDaddy also called themselves "lean and mean" so let many of the creative people go and kept the phone sellers. Again, a phone center.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the changes to bring back the uniqueness that was GoDaddy or lose a lot of good people. Your ideas can be integrated into the operations that were existing, don't give Scottsdale another call center.

Started Out Great...

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsBenefits: Free medical and dental for employees, good rates for families

Food: $2 meals on site (Although they kind of have to do this since you only have 30 minutes to eat)

Vacation time: Lots of vacation/personal time. Only issue is that they don't allow you to use it whenever and it makes it difficult to plan a trip if just one other person on your team has asked for that day off.

ConsOpen 24 hours: If you expect to move up in the company, you've got to work nights and weekends to do it.

Pay: This is the biggest disappointment with GoDaddy and what ultimately changed my rating from 5 star to 3. When I first started sales people were rewarded for bringing in big revenue for the company, as they should be. This is how Bob Parsons had structured the business. With the new investors on board, pay has been slashed in all sales departments over the past few months.

This change has led to very low morale around the offices, and has led myself and many others to start looking elsewhere. The focus of new leadership seems to be on spending millions to acquire new business that they believe will integrate with GoDaddy. The problem is that it isn't working and they've cut employee pay to fund these ventures. This used to be a place where sales people with some tech knowledge could do really well for themselves. Now it's more like an slightly above average call center. Nothing special.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't slash the pay of the employees that produce revenue to fund pet projects and office remodels.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Billing Specialist

Billing Specialist (Former Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsGreat pay and benefits. Easy job

ConsVery monotonous, lack of schedule flexibility, hypocritical management

The JOKE is on the employees!

Management (Current Employee)
    Gilbert, AZ

ProsHealth Insurance, dress code, almost free lunch, free coffee (only on corporate side), and free parking!

ConsHypocritical management, stripping benefits ( or as they say, we are updating our policy), horrible HR, typical IT company before it implodes, no career path, two sides to the organization, the call center where the reps can't wait to leave and are forces to hit "sales" numbers or are fired and the corporate side where its the "Good Ol Boys Club".

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back Bob Parsons and his management style, the company was a vibrant, fun, and exciting place to work! As an employee of 7 years, I (among others) may be looking for a career change next year......

Stay away!

Small Business Consultant (Former Employee)
    Scottsdale, AZ

ProsHard to think of any. Lots of vacation time? But also lots of black out dates so you really can't get more than 2 days in a row off.

ConsAll the giveaways they advertise on their recruiting videos? Non-existant. The only giveaways I ever saw were a few $5 DVD's from the Wal-Mart value bin. The job description that the recruiters give is about as false as you can get, the job is completely sales based. Customer satisfaction plays NO factor in your job here. Only the top sales people are considered for promotions/advancement. The atmosphere is not relaxed at all, managers hover behind you waiting for more sales to be made.

It really is a soulsucking position, if you are not ready to lie on every call in order to make your minimum required metrics to keep your job, don't bother applying. It seemed like people were fired daily here, you would see security escorting people from the building frequently. They say they hire so many individuals because of expansion, but in reality its just huge turnover. The micro-management is really unbelievable, meeting 14 different metrics and reviewing those metrics on a weekly basis is exhausting and belittling.

Management is mostly comprised of the scum who were able to sell enough to warrant a promotion. Their only job is to point out how inadequate you are at your job, and push you towards more sales. Angry customers sometimes want to speak to a manager - I didn't meet one supervisor who willingly assisted an employee with this, sometimes asking us to inform the customer that they were very busy and would have to hold for at least ten minutes.

The call centers themselves are an embarrassment to a company of this size. They are small, overcrowded, in a state of disrepair, and using technology from over a decade ago. If you enjoy working in a loud, 2x2, dirty cubicle then this just might be the place for you. The chairs are torn to pieces, cubicles are falling apart, phones are filthy - nothing you'd expect from a Fortune 100 company that has been praised for the care of its employees. That is nothing but a marketing stunt.

Never in my life have I experienced a company as dismal as GoDaddy, and with any luck this review will help dissuade others from having to experience the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't promise things that aren't in the least bit true. Work with your employees to develop a substantial technical knowledge base, not a cut throat sales technique. Stop with the fear mongering and threats, nobody wants to work for a company who could let you go on a whim.

It's go time- Means it is time to leave Godaddy.com

Technical Support and Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Gilbert, AZ

ProsThey have good medical and give lots of a vacation that you can never use.

ConsThey just cut their support and sales employees' pay by 60%. They gave everyone in support and sales the same amount of stock shares whether you have been there for 1 year of 10. The shares may amount to $1000. They all of a sudden do not appreciate their employees and continually make cuts to their pay. The venture capitalist firm has changed the culture to one of bad moral and who wants to be here anymore. The CEO stated the whole company is based on their employees and he wanted to create a great culture here. Then he cut the call centers' bonus structure. Don't listen. They do not value their employees. It was better when Bob Parson's was running the show even though he did some jack ass things in the media. The company gives you a boat load of vacation that you can never use. It is like working in a prison camp.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't get what the plan is. Why change everything so that people leave out the door in mass numbers? Why lose your veterans and talent? Did someone make a mistake?

New C-level execs are reshaping company

Senior Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe company had a lot of benefits and compensation on par with industry. I like the new CEO and they are trying to make a positive impact.

ConsThere are little career growth opportunities. Benefits are changing after new executive leadership. Has excellent work/work imbalance, but not so much life balance.

New here at GoDaddy

Internet Sales and Service Consultant (Current Employee)
    Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGreat tools to help businesses grow.

Consnone so far but I just started

Genius at branding their "so-called" good customer support image

Inbound Technical Support (Former Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

Pros15 n hour now. Good insurance. Good retirement (lol, like you'll ever need it)
    Mr. Irving taking over as CEO of GoDaddy. THEY MIGHT be getting better.

ConsFirst off, before they "terminated" me for not being able to UPSELL to people who DON'T KNOW THE HOW THE INTERNET WORKS, let alone what a domain name is, I was actually re-leaved to get fired from this place. Although my floor manager said I was "so amazing with helping the customers solve their problems" your job is 100% dependent on how well you can upsell, regardless if you can actually solve your customers problems with their websites. Every call. Don't believe the lies and BS they throw at you when you first start. They flat out told me the job wasn't "a sales job" at my time of hire, which was in November. Things may have changed based on the job description I've read, they at least tell you have to sell now.

If you have morals as a person, and actually care about people, stay far away. But if you "Don't give a f**k about the persons technical issue" as a successful salesman on my team told me, then this is the place for you. I was disheartened to see people call in, 6,7,8,9, times a day to get told some total BS from a rep that would just try and sell something. (I'm not kidding in the slightest)

Decorating your little team area, and playing with nerf guns all day, is so childish and un-professional it proved to me the attitude of this company. Nor playing all these neat little sales games like free DVD's of movies nobody cares about, to the person with the highest sales for the day. They have to do stuff like this to make you THINK your job doesnt suck. Oh, that money machine they tell you about, where they put you in a machine and let you grab for money, never saw that operated once.

To the supervisor who told me after an extremely pissed off customer had his website shut down and never given a reason why, who after he hung up after the sup put him on a 10 minute hold told me "Good. F**k him. Take your next call." That says something. Those are the peoples attitudes who are supervisors, that I was supposed to be seeking help from.

You cannot move within the company if you start out as a customer support rep and cannot meet the sales numbers, which is about the stupidest stuff I've ever experienced. Why have a person who is great with hosting, DNS, and technical issues stay in a 100% sales position, is beyond me.

The fact that 95% of your calls are from customers expecting technical support, and get a person trained to upsell (whose job is dependent on how well they sell) is astonishing. Beyond my comprehension as a college graduate actually.

I really hope Mr. Irving turns the company around, cause I have a feeling if it doesnt, something is going to happen.

Oh BTW, don't ever take the powershift on the weekends, just FYI.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlat out simple. If GoDaddy wants to be a 20 billion dollar company as Mr. Irving expects. Separate sales and technical support. Flat out. End of story. You can't have both. I feel sorry for the customer base.

Worked for GoDaddy? Contribute to the Community!

GoDaddy Videos

GoDaddy – Why Work for Us?

We are changing the Internet and the world - one customer at a time. As the world’s leading domain registrar and web host, Go Daddy is dedicated to helping small business and entrepreneurs — wherever they are in the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GoDaddy reviews and ratings in Phoenix, AZ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving. All 155 reviews posted anonymously by GoDaddy employees.