GoDaddy

Updated December 20, 2014
3.1

GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving
Blake Irving

Pros
  • Great Benefits (Although it will take you at least 90 days to get them) (in 31 reviews)

• Good hourly base pay, good benefits if you're single (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Transitioning from the call center to corporate is extremely difficult to do (in 24 reviews)

• They spend an inordinate amount of time on HR processes and studies only to throw much of the data away; again perception (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

189 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun environment but a lot of constant change

Current Employee - Technical Support and Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Technical Support and Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun work environment (ping pong, go carts, rock wall, etc.)
    Cheap meals for breakfast and lunch and provide healthy options.
    Most supervisors are cool to work with and help you get to where you're going.
    Great benefits, good pay, and plenty of opportunities to win things.
    Like to hire within more than outside (for tier two jobs like advanced tech support).
    Plenty of resources to get your job done.
    Endless career opportunities as they're always hiring!
    Good work/life balance. You work your 40 hours per week and they don't require overtime (but they do take volunteers when needed)
    They have a gym with lockers/showers/towel service.
    Also, if you're working on the phones, you will have a minimum sales tier you need to hit. It can be hard at times, but if you're good at talking with people, you won't have a problem with it.

Cons

Turning into micromanaging; constant change in management and employee policies.
    Not only do you have to call an attendance line to call out (which is totally fine), you have to call your supervisor and let them know you will be out too (even if it's at 3 am...weird!)
    If you are late and don't have sick time, you are on a final written warning for 1 year. If you are late while on a final written warning within that 1 year period, you will lose your job.
    "Availability" is how much time you're logged on to your computer. As much cool & fun things there are to do here, you really don't have any time to take advantage of it while on the clock. (but really, you should be working anyways.. right? ;) )

I understand change, and that GoDaddy is a business that needs to be ran properly so they can provide the best customer service and make money, but it's starting to feel like we're in the first grade again, and not being treated like responsible working adults.

Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - User Experience Architect in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - User Experience Architect in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Patent bonuses
    Other bonuses
    Flexible schedule
    Unlimited vacation
    Subsidized meals
    Unlimited coffee, snacks, beer, etc

Cons

Can be competitive and intense at times

***AWESOME COMPANY, OUTSTANDING OPPORTUNITY AND UPWARD MOBILITY, GREAT ATMOSPHERE ***

Current Employee - Internet Sales and Service Consultant in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Internet Sales and Service Consultant in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I retired from 22+ years in the Navy just this past April. I was extremely nervous about my transition from the military to the civilian workforce. I heard great things about GoDaddy and decided to try it out. I am so glad I did! I love the GoDaddy culture, laid back yet professional. I was intimidated going to work for a tech company with limited experience, but the TRAINING PROGRAM WAS OUTSTANDING! Although I didn't need all the benefits due to my military retirement, the great benefits package start on DAY 1 of training. Most importantly, GREAT UPWARD MOBILITY! GoDaddy is all about retention, being well rounded within the company, and upward mobility. They recognize hard work and just about from day one, you have the opportunity to "shadow" other departments and get a feel about where in the company you want to go next. I love how they encourage you to strive for greatness.

Cons

It's hard to come up with cons about your company when you are so happy about your job. GoDaddy doesn't pay me for sitting at home and watching ESPN....is that a con?

was sad to go at first, now i see it was my ticket to better opportunities ahead

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

started out as a great company, the owner truly cared although really had no clue about software development. It was a good place to work. learned a lot about large scale development.

Cons

owner sold out, all of the things that made good company to work for started disappearing, a lot of people who worked there for a long time really got screwed in many ways. Along came the investors, and it was all about the numbers game. Many products where cancelled, people were secretly either forced out "you have 30 days to find a new job" or let go. Their main goal was do it under the covers and they made employees sign documents saying they would not discuss any of this, or would not get any severance. They then started hiring younger folks, willing to work more hours for less. The new building has things like a skate park, slides, and go karts, so take a guess what age range they are targeting for that ??

nothing, the damage is done.

Gidaddy

Current Employee - Customer Care Lead in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Care Lead in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay good perks good people

Cons

No real cons. I've been happy here.

Not the place it used to be.

Former Employee - Customer Development Team in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Development Team in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

$2-$4 subsidized lunches. But come on!! Why not free? Just wondering.

Cons

-Not enough training prior to jumping into technical calls
    -Supervisors make you flounder as you run around your first few weeks trying to survive.
    -Then if you do survive, be prepared for almost losing your job on a regular basis. This is "the norm".

Review your terminated employees (survivors) more before you end their career. Holding on to good people means more than making an example to others. It seems only the cheaters survive at GoDaddy. If management only knew. Oh wait....

Ultimately a waste of time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

* Free coffee
    * Free sodas
    * Discounted (terrible) lunch
    * Their paychecks don't bounce
    * If you can make it to your 10 year anniversary I hear they used to give out a nice watch. Not so sure about that anymore, but good luck anyway.

There's not that much positive to say, so I just need to write some more to meet the 20 word minimum.

Cons

* If you're in the Call Center you will be treated like a second class citizen (unless you can make tons of sales, at which point you'll be treated like Prince of the Second Class Citizens). There are two divisions at GoDaddy: Customer Care Center [C3] and Technical/Corporate [T/C], and the company acts accordingly: T/C gets everything and C3 gets the shaft. You WILL have a sales quota, despite what they tell you during the hiring or training process.
    * Gross, visibly unclean workspaces (one time they finally steam-cleaned the carpets and cubicles in the call center and it smelled like dirty, steamy feet in there for days afterwards).
    * Toxic, poisonous culture full of know-it-alls.
    * New investors are creating a good ol' boy network of their friends and forcing out longtime employees to do so.
    * Arbitrary review process that changes on a frequent basis and is easily manipulated by the company for THEIR benefit (i.e., finding a way to give you less of a raise at review time).
    * Company is slashing real benefits and replacing them with ridiculous things like skate parks and pedal car tracks (they're just marketing themselves to the new generation of employees they want, i.e., very young people willing to work for less and overlook silly things like good healthcare or vacation).
    * Company has wasted $$$$ on some weird open plan office that looks like it came straight out of an Ikea catalog. This has basically created a high school cafeteria atmosphere and no one gets any work done. I watched someone fly a noisy quadcopter around the office for over an hour while disturbing everyone else in the process.
    * Company typically fires a few people in most departments every July or August to make their numbers for the year look better. Several people in their Networking department have been let go to make room for friends of the investors, and more are exiting on their own since none of the new people running this department know what they're doing and are creating a terrible work environment. Also this summer they "laid off" several employees in their datacenter support department, then made the remaining employees work 80+ hour weeks to compensate, and then 3 to 4 months later are finally admitting it didn't work and are desperately trying to hire more. Somebody probably got a bonus for that though, because it looked okay for at least one quarter.
    * Upper management (especially C-level) is more interested in perception management and playing the cool guy game through personal branding.
    * Mid level management basically run their own personal fiefdoms.
    * Lower level management is utterly clueless, unresponsive, and spends most of their time in meetings hiding from their employees.

None needed, they know exactly what they're doing.

Dec 5, 2014Customer Care Talent Acquisition Director

Thanks for your feedback. We are working on updating all of our facilities with state of the art work spaces, exciting activities, and open care center structures to help reduce noise volume. We ... More

Great Experience, Stressful, Excellent Learning Experiences.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Been at GoDaddy for over 5yrs and it has been a great learning experience for sure. Benefits are awesome and the people are great as well. Plenty of opportunities to learn all kinds of new technology. GoDaddy has been very good on training and continuing education benefits.

Cons

Growth here is difficult, as that when people into certain positions that makes it very tough to move into something else cause they tend to stay there for a while. Work life balance isn't too bad, expect a lot of on call and some late nights when things have to be fixed or updated. The job can be stressful at time, but the end it pays off. GoDaddy expects a lot from it's employees for sure, "Work Hard, Play Hard"

More focus on career advancement and opportunities, seems over the past few years it has been way more difficult to move up or into something more challenging and people tend to languish in a dead end position with no hopes of moving forward, this results in people looking for other jobs elsewhere and we lose good seasoned talent at that point.

Oct 21, 2014Customer Care Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for the great feedback about career-pathing. We hear you loud and clear and are working to improve our internal career development programs.

What goes up must come down

Former Employee - Internet Sales and Service Consultant in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Internet Sales and Service Consultant in Tempe, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good benefits, health, dental, 401k
    -Subsidized lunch, usually pretty good options too
    -Holiday party was fun
    -New building has ping pong tables, foosball, free coffee.

Cons

Was an employee for 3 years, and in the beginning it was great. Very few hated the job, I suspect they would've almost hated it anywhere. Pay was great, but they also did a great job of making sure you don't get stressed or burnt out. Things have changed ever since Bob Parsons stepped down from CEO. There are some numbers that don't lie, the amount of people leaving lately is one of them

-Company doesn't really listen, even though they have a system in place that allows people to input.
    -Has a survey sent to customers, people who barely know what a username is, and they let those types of customers dictate whether you have a job or not.
    -Slowly has put in policies to make sure you're on the phones more, burning you out much quicker
    -Has increased sales tier, even cut out some tiers for the department that was making the most revenue. Very few people are able to hit these tiers on a consistent basis in other departments

Listening to employees use to be something the company did. It is no longer the case, and everything is about the dollar value. I understand it's a business, and the whole goal of a business is to make money, but it use to be a good balance of making money, keeping employees happy, and satisfying customers, but now they're trading employee happiness for it, as if you look at the amount of people who wants to leave, or have already left.

GoDaddy use to only hire internally, but now hiring just about any body, as quickly as possible. I suspect people who use to work in these departments no longer want to work there, and people internally know some of these departments are not the way to go. People externally are just happy to get a job.

I may just sound like a former disgruntled employee at this time, but as previously stated, there are some numbers that don't lie, out of all the years I've been there, only recently have I seen people start to drop like flies.

Dec 5, 2014Director, People Operations

We regularly solicit feedback from our employees through multiple venues, including an internal employee initiated Blog that solicits suggestions and comments, round-table meetings at all sites with ... More

Worst Company I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Cdt in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Cdt in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing redeemable about this company.

Cons

They could care less about their employees. They could care less about their customers. It's all about making money for the company and the six figure plus management and their potential shareholders.

Get Bob Parsons Back in Charge