GoDaddy Reviews in Phoenix, AZ

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014

GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving
Blake Irving

Pros
  • Great Benefits (Although it will take you at least 90 days to get them) (in 24 reviews)

• Good hourly base pay, good benefits if you're single (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Transitioning from the call center to corporate is extremely difficult to do (in 18 reviews)

• Though, given the amount of time it's been since I was there - that may have changed (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

168 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great company to grow up in

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator  in  Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They gave me essentially all of my professional experience. At GoDaddy, I was able to work my way up from a phone rep to be a systems administrator. It was an incredibly rewarding and satisfying experience.

Cons

It's hard to be upset with them with how much support they gave me. I really outgrew them. Once you get to a certain level in IT, you become attractive to Silicon Valley, and GoDaddy does nothing to really compete with the valley in either salary or stock options.

This is really advice to the investors and to C-level executives: You are hemorrhaging talent because you don't award meaningful stock. Companies in California are happy to pay way more, and award life changing amounts of stock to their engineers. You aren't. How can you expect to attract and retain highly skilled engineers without any kind of competitive stock plan? Even your best and brightest get a paltry amount of options, that you reserve the right to buy back if an employee leaves before the end of their entire vesting schedule (five years), which was done in my case (I've never seen or heard of this done in Silicon Valley). To buy back stock from an employee after they had been there for over four years is almost punitive.

Great place for me at the time

Former Employee - Billing Representative  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Billing Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun, easy, good pay, great benefits.

Cons

Rough attendance policy. Schedules are flexible but sometimes hard to change.

Don't implement changes based on the lowest common denominator.

Fun place to work!

Current Employee - Bilingual Technical Support and Sales Representative  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Bilingual Technical Support and Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time for less than a year

Pros

They make sure you go through extensive training so that you know what you're doing before you start on the phones!!!

The people there are great! The management is definitely dedicated to making this a fun and stable environment for everyone that works there.

Cons

You have to start off normally by working at a later shift but with time they move you into better schedules. I guess thats the only thing I ever complained about! I only left because I was able to get a job doing what I went to school for!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

working for godaddy under 3 months

Current Employee - Internet Sales and Service Consultant  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Internet Sales and Service Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time for less than a year

Pros

super flexible, great benefits. really good training

Cons

hard to get out of overnight schedule

Fun to be at a company with lots of growth potential

Current Employee - Software Developer In Test  in  Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Developer In Test in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, flexibility, Agile development, Bonuses!

Cons

Workspace no private, On Call

Good Experience

Former Employee - Technical Support & Sales  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Technical Support & Sales in Tempe, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good starting pay, Laid back environment.

Cons

TOO focused on sales at times and forget the technical support portion of job.

Focus a little bit more on the technical support aspect, not just sales.

Good Opportunity!

Current Employee - Inbound Sales and Support  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales and Support in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment; money is good for the amount of work; upward mobility

Cons

Work a lot of holidays; 24/7 company, so you work odd shifts, sometimes overnight

Improve product

Great benefits, frustrating culture

Former Employee - Senior .NET Developer  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior .NET Developer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time for more than a year

Pros

GoDaddy was an exciting place to work. The benefits (vacations, medical, etc) were among the best of any company in the nation. I got an MSDN account. The pay was very competitive. The Christmas party was always spectacular. And in my team's case the quarterly team bonding experience was pretty nice. Most of the more general organizational facets of the company such as the HR orientation process, IT getting software installed, and having a system of collaboration were pretty solid. Celebrating its successes, GoDaddy was full of surprises. One time they even brought a marching band to stomp through the offices while we were working.

Cons

All the pros don't make up for how frustrating the experience was for me as a developer.

The company grew a few years ago very, very fast, so people who had no business being in senior management--some of whom were incredibly crass in demeanor and somehow that looked good on them to the top brass--ended up in senior management, and people who were already in senior management likewise had their egos stroked in seeing the company explode in success those years ago. Technical executives had very little technical understanding of the technical decisions they regularly made. There seemed to be little appreciation among the leadership for practicing humility. One week I sat in a room adjacent to a very senior technical executive and he would be yelling cuss words at the top of his lungs all day long, apparently in "conversations" with people on the phone.

We had desktop computers, no laptops, as we were adamantly discouraged from taking our work home (although we could remote in from our personal computers at home at night).

The internal enforcement of security was an absolute nightmare, probably the worst part of the experience of working there. I couldn't even so much as check for current drivers for my computer on Dell's web site without the head of security e-mailing me asking me what the heck I was doing on Dell's FTP server. Social networks like Facebook were banned, any attempts to try to access caused an alert to a senior manager. Visiting the call center with an iPad or other laptop/tablet device in hand would get me stopped at the door as some security jerk would start yelling at me red-faced for attempting to enter the call center with such a device in hand, even though I was entering to meet with individuals who were going to be working with me to develop software for said device.

All outgoing e-mails even to HR were closely monitored by my own boss.

The amount of red tape and waiting involved in setting up servers and the impossibility of arranging for a debugging environment that more than slightly approximates just one of the production servers made it impossible to produce a stable product. I had to beg for many months, well over a year, to upgrade my workstation computer from Windows XP, even as we were developing locally but deploying the product to Windows Server 2008 (at the time).

Bugs we had triaged were piling up but every time a new set of bugs were found by customer service *those* bugs ended up taking priority. Older bugs rarely got fixed and architectural design flaws that created so many bugs to begin with couldn't be readily addressed. Refactoring was completely disallowed; the biases of QA managed the development decisions and not the other way around.

Egos both among senior management and among developers who had seniority was overwhelming; one group of developers had a hissy fit that our team was not using their several years old, home-grown, undocumented data architecture, built for another time and even under an old abandoned company name.

The usual rules of brown-nosing and very long term seniority were the only means to see the hope of climbing a ladder. Most people who were actually "senior" were employees before the company's big boom, and that was it, no more promotions to be had, promotion is not measured on whether you know your stuff and/or can lead well but rather whether you were there in those early days and/or you kiss up well. Most leadership role opportunities were made by someone being promoted or fired and were usually filled by in-house candidates on the basis of being "yes men".

Separate your call centers from the other work forces. Separate them both physically and in how they are treated. Call centers might hire near-minimum-wage workers, but developers who are already approaching or have reached six digit salaries do not need to be treated like criminals; seriously, lighten [the hell] up on the security and Big Brother behavior.

Let those who are hired to be technically minded make the technical decisions and stop getting in their way; better yet, learn more, a lot more, about the technology they are paid to utilize and implement so that whatever decisions you do make don't make you look like a total jackass.

QA's job is to validate the work of the developer, not to make development decisions; don't let QA block developers from refactoring code; rather, work with the team to ensure that clean-ups and code improvements are palatable, and encourage developers to apply basic refactoring conventions in the areas of code they are tasked to work in.

Give employees a private channel of communication to HR free from bosses' perusal such as a web page with a textarea input that is a truly secured message.
    HR: In addition to providing a truly respectable secure channel of employee communication regarding their bosses, give complaining employees more advice for interpersonal and professional success rather than proxying the complaint to the boss or responding with publishing more rules and regulations. Also, the last buck in hiring stops with you, stop allowing unqualified personnel to climb the ladder and sit in roles they have no business sitting in.

Very happy, and couldn't be more excited about recent changes...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Management believes in me and trusts me. Dynamic — it's impossible to be bored.

Cons

Direction, particularly from the older regime, can be somewhat shortsighted and not play to the more important long game.

Used to be good.

Current Employee - Website Designer  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Website Designer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

$2 lunch (Although it is crappy food),

Cons

Unrealistic goals in design department, No sense of leadership, Poor quality designs, no ongoing training, Very restrictive website builder.

This department has lost more than half of its staff in the last 12 months because of really bad management and low pay. Just shut down department if you are not willing to be a competitor in the workplace or you will continue to lose people.

Worked for GoDaddy? Contribute to the Community!