GoDaddy

Updated February 27, 2015
3.1

GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving
Blake Irving

Pros
  • Great Benefits (Although it will take you at least 90 days to get them) (in 31 reviews)

• Good hourly base pay, good benefits if you're single (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Transitioning from the call center to corporate is extremely difficult to do (in 24 reviews)

• They spend an inordinate amount of time on HR processes and studies only to throw much of the data away; again perception (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales, sales, sales!

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of perks to keep you distracted, if you have time to use them. Decent pay and benefits. Christmas party is insane.

Cons

I'll try to keep this succinct. They really try to sell you in training that they focus on customer service as much as your sales. But when told while on the phone with a customer that I should tell him to buy a product or tell him we won't help him with the lesser one(our product as well) he already has, that is all about the sale. Without getting too verbose I'll just say it again, sales, sales, sales.

Nothing that hasn't already been said in other reviews. Maybe, concentrate more on the strengthening of your current employees rather than on hiring countless more bodies for sales and future IPO boosting.

Feb 10, 2015Director, People Operations

Our employee environment is an incredibly important factor in our continued success. To that end, we like to think that our benefits, pay, parties and other incentives are top notch. It sounds like ... More

It's go time

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits
    Nice office.
    Fellows employees

Cons

Corporate culture.
    New executives are doing hostile takeover.

Respect your senior employees

Do not work 3rd shift Bilingual

Current Employee - Inbound Tech Support and Sales in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Inbound Tech Support and Sales in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay was good, benefits great,, some other minor perks like discounted food.

Cons

No support from Human Resources or managers whatsoever. While working there, my younger brother passed away requiring me to take time off. After leaving 15 messages, one person in HR called me back 13 days after the fact to explain benefits to me, which is not what I was calling about. They outsource leave and paperwork to Matrix (3rd party) and after jumping through hoops and completing my paperwork THREE times, they claimed they never got it. Godaddy supervisors are of no help either. Not one single supervisor (8 different sups in a year) knew who I reported to as I was listed on a bilingual team whose supervisor was second shift. The biggest issue was that being 3rd shift, no HR reps were available to us. I waited around most morning after my shift to speak with them but they rarely are in their office. Being part of certain cliques will get you advancement regardless of qualifications.

Better training, more HR reps, keep your leave procedures in house and actually treat your employees like humans instead of just a body on the phone to sell. Improve your employment verification system for former employees. I have been unable to get a job and have been told by five different employers it was due to them being unable to hire me because they are unable to confirm my employment. Stop shafting former employees and get HR to respond to employment verification requests and get them to help all employees.

Feb 9, 2015Director, People Operations

I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your brother and about your poor experience with the GoDaddy Human Resources team. As a leader in People Operations, I take this feedback very seriously ... More

GOING DOWN!!!!

Current Employee - Cdt in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It used to be a really great place to work before the investors took over and said "not much will change". The only pro I can think of is you can make a lot of money if you want to work a lot of OT and on every weekend. If you like your pay going down every 3 months -this place will be great. If you constantly like being kicked in the stomach and being treated like a 10yr old-this place will be great.

Cons

EVERYTHING. This place is trying to go public so they are cutting down payroll so they appear to be much more desirable to investors. They change the tiers on a 3 month basis and every single time its horrible for the employees. If I had 4 pages I could tell you all the cons. Ive spent over 5 yrs here and they are so great at making it look like an amazing place to work but its all fluff. Only the developers get the new buildings and the cool things they show on the news. The guys on the phones get 7mins off the phones per day. 7mins!! Hope you dont have to go to the bathroom very often or they take your bonus checks.

Middle management is ruining CDT. You are pushing out all the good reps that make the company a lot of money. The moral on the floor is horrible now.

sales

I have been working at GoDaddy

Pros

Fun Place, lots of nice coworkers

Cons

Keeps cutting bonus, Company is going downhill

none

I worked at GoDaddy

Pros

Do not work for them!

Cons

I think it's disgraceful that this company fired more than twenty security guards before Christmas. Also, not paying the holiday pay they were promised. Real nice.

This is a sales company, literally every position.

I worked at GoDaddy

Pros

- Great Benefits for a call center.
    - Holiday Party is pretty awesome
    - The Tempe facility is pretty cool
    - Blake Irving seems like he is trying to right the ship

Cons

- Everything is sales, very little focus on tech. Even managerial staff in tech focused departments (Hosting, SSLs, etc.) have little to no tech experience and were bred for sales.
    - Micromanagement of employees to focus on sales over technical review. Including giving wrong information to customers with little accountability
    - C3 (tech support) has no ability to ever get off the phones. At the time fo my leaving there was a 5 minute rule. Everyone (including advanced tech support who were contacts for normal agents) were forced to go on the phones and take normal calls and be pushed to sell. If you are in C3 and want to be anything but a manager get out.
    - Managment is not able to give recommendations to employees for any other company. They have a rule that if you leave the company they can only tell other employers that you are no longer working there and the final position you held. They cannot say if you were a good or bad employee or if you were fired. Why would I stay with a company that I have no chance of moving to anything besides middle management in a non-tech field and I wouldn't even get a good letter of recommendation.
    - Constant raising of sales goals over all else. Most employees are required to meet a $350 minimum in sales daily (more if you are in sales focused positions like CDT Outbound marketing) but managers who are paid on how much the team sells push for a higher sales rate. This will include talks about how you may not be a good fit for this company if you can't exceed the arbitrary sales goals.
    - Management will literally play games in front of employees and refuse to help with problems. This will include a makeshift bocce ball course in the CDT office, a putting green, and impromtu football throwing over cubicles. Employees are so stressed about meeting their utilization (92% when I left) and meeting sales goals that it is a slap in the face.
    - Dude bro culture. Managment is 99% men. Don't be a woman, POC, or queer person in C3 or you will get no support and expect to feel ostracized by managment. CDT is the worse for this because it is all men.

- Continue to improve products.
    - Give C3 a chance to get out of C3.
    - Make accountability for people who are super sales focused and don't give a crap about tech.
    - Middle management is a joke and we don't even need them if there was more tech competent people running teams.

Dec 19, 2014Director, People Operations

We are actively working toward building out a formalized set of career path for our talent so they can grow. 48% of our hires are internal moves. Personal and professional growth is more than just ... More

Ultimately a waste of time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

* Free coffee
    * Free sodas
    * Discounted (terrible) lunch
    * Their paychecks don't bounce
    * If you can make it to your 10 year anniversary I hear they used to give out a nice watch. Not so sure about that anymore, but good luck anyway.

There's not that much positive to say, so I just need to write some more to meet the 20 word minimum.

Cons

* If you're in the Call Center you will be treated like a second class citizen (unless you can make tons of sales, at which point you'll be treated like Prince of the Second Class Citizens). There are two divisions at GoDaddy: Customer Care Center [C3] and Technical/Corporate [T/C], and the company acts accordingly: T/C gets everything and C3 gets the shaft. You WILL have a sales quota, despite what they tell you during the hiring or training process.
    * Gross, visibly unclean workspaces (one time they finally steam-cleaned the carpets and cubicles in the call center and it smelled like dirty, steamy feet in there for days afterwards).
    * Toxic, poisonous culture full of know-it-alls.
    * New investors are creating a good ol' boy network of their friends and forcing out longtime employees to do so.
    * Arbitrary review process that changes on a frequent basis and is easily manipulated by the company for THEIR benefit (i.e., finding a way to give you less of a raise at review time).
    * Company is slashing real benefits and replacing them with ridiculous things like skate parks and pedal car tracks (they're just marketing themselves to the new generation of employees they want, i.e., very young people willing to work for less and overlook silly things like good healthcare or vacation).
    * Company has wasted $$$$ on some weird open plan office that looks like it came straight out of an Ikea catalog. This has basically created a high school cafeteria atmosphere and no one gets any work done. I watched someone fly a noisy quadcopter around the office for over an hour while disturbing everyone else in the process.
    * Company typically fires a few people in most departments every July or August to make their numbers for the year look better. Several people in their Networking department have been let go to make room for friends of the investors, and more are exiting on their own since none of the new people running this department know what they're doing and are creating a terrible work environment. Also this summer they "laid off" several employees in their datacenter support department, then made the remaining employees work 80+ hour weeks to compensate, and then 3 to 4 months later are finally admitting it didn't work and are desperately trying to hire more. Somebody probably got a bonus for that though, because it looked okay for at least one quarter.
    * Upper management (especially C-level) is more interested in perception management and playing the cool guy game through personal branding.
    * Mid level management basically run their own personal fiefdoms.
    * Lower level management is utterly clueless, unresponsive, and spends most of their time in meetings hiding from their employees.

None needed, they know exactly what they're doing.

Dec 5, 2014Customer Care Talent Acquisition Director

Thanks for your feedback. We are working on updating all of our facilities with state of the art work spaces, exciting activities, and open care center structures to help reduce noise volume. We ... More

Not the place it used to be.

Former Employee - Customer Development Team in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Development Team in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

$2-$4 subsidized lunches. But come on!! Why not free? Just wondering.

Cons

-Not enough training prior to jumping into technical calls
    -Supervisors make you flounder as you run around your first few weeks trying to survive.
    -Then if you do survive, be prepared for almost losing your job on a regular basis. This is "the norm".

Review your terminated employees (survivors) more before you end their career. Holding on to good people means more than making an example to others. It seems only the cheaters survive at GoDaddy. If management only knew. Oh wait....

Worst Company I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Cdt in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing redeemable about this company.

Cons

They could care less about their employees. They could care less about their customers. It's all about making money for the company and the six figure plus management and their potential shareholders.

Get Bob Parsons Back in Charge