GoDaddy

Updated January 28, 2015
3.1

GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving
Blake Irving

Pros
  • Great Benefits (Although it will take you at least 90 days to get them) (in 31 reviews)

• Good hourly base pay, good benefits if you're single (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Transitioning from the call center to corporate is extremely difficult to do (in 24 reviews)

• They spend an inordinate amount of time on HR processes and studies only to throw much of the data away; again perception (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

was sad to go at first, now i see it was my ticket to better opportunities ahead

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

started out as a great company, the owner truly cared although really had no clue about software development. It was a good place to work. learned a lot about large scale development.

Cons

owner sold out, all of the things that made good company to work for started disappearing, a lot of people who worked there for a long time really got screwed in many ways. Along came the investors, and it was all about the numbers game. Many products where cancelled, people were secretly either forced out "you have 30 days to find a new job" or let go. Their main goal was do it under the covers and they made employees sign documents saying they would not discuss any of this, or would not get any severance. They then started hiring younger folks, willing to work more hours for less. The new building has things like a skate park, slides, and go karts, so take a guess what age range they are targeting for that ??

nothing, the damage is done.

How you are treated depends on the department you work in.

I worked at GoDaddy

Pros

As a developer, you will work in the new facility with beer on tap, a skate park, basketball court, weight room, a slide, and all kinds of other amenities.

Cons

As a member of a department that physically supports the server and network infrastructure, you will get bare bones staffing, stacks of tickets, layoffs, no chance to use earned vacation, and a looming sense of "who's getting fired next? ".

Think about the consequences of your decisions. When you hire a new manager that tells the entire department that they have almost twice as many people as the budget can afford (even though the company can afford a new building with the above mentioned amenities), and then promptly fires three people, and as a result nobody remaining can take vacation time because there is nobody left to work the shifts (because we didn't need them, remember) unless the few people that are even able to work the shifts due to their schedules volunteer to work overtime, people are going to leave.

Take our feedback. Even if you don't use our feedback, try to pretend like you care what we have to say. For example, when launching a new platform from the ground up, don't make the same mistakes that were made in the previous platform. We could have told you how to do things much more effectively.

GoDaddy has almost everything it needs to be a fantastic company for everyone. The only exception is the right decisions to make that happen. I understand why things are being done the way they are, but in following the norm, this strategy is serving a very short term goal and does not have a the long-term well being of the company or employees in mind at all. With a decent amount of effort, you could make the right decisions and make GoDaddy into a company that is ACTUALLY great, instead of just appearing to be a great company.

I was excited and proud to be a part of GoDaddy up until the last year, so it's especially disappointing when I see it turning into what it is becoming.

Amazing benefits and atmosphere

Current Employee - Customer Development Team
    Current Employee - Customer Development Team

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

GoDaddy has a great benefits package including a lot of vacation time and great healthcare. The atmosphere is very fun and energetic.

Cons

Working on the phones can be very draining and if you are good at sales it will be a pay cut to promote into a leadership role. It has changed a lot in recent years and seems like the amount of micro management is going up.

The top talent on the phones is who you want to be teaching guiding and training newer reps. It does not make sense for them to take a massive pay cut to promote.

sales

I have been working at GoDaddy

Pros

Fun Place, lots of nice coworkers

Cons

Keeps cutting bonus, Company is going downhill

none

I worked at GoDaddy

Pros

Do not work for them!

Cons

I think it's disgraceful that this company fired more than twenty security guards before Christmas. Also, not paying the holiday pay they were promised. Real nice.

This is a sales company, literally every position.

I worked at GoDaddy

Pros

- Great Benefits for a call center.
    - Holiday Party is pretty awesome
    - The Tempe facility is pretty cool
    - Blake Irving seems like he is trying to right the ship

Cons

- Everything is sales, very little focus on tech. Even managerial staff in tech focused departments (Hosting, SSLs, etc.) have little to no tech experience and were bred for sales.
    - Micromanagement of employees to focus on sales over technical review. Including giving wrong information to customers with little accountability
    - C3 (tech support) has no ability to ever get off the phones. At the time fo my leaving there was a 5 minute rule. Everyone (including advanced tech support who were contacts for normal agents) were forced to go on the phones and take normal calls and be pushed to sell. If you are in C3 and want to be anything but a manager get out.
    - Managment is not able to give recommendations to employees for any other company. They have a rule that if you leave the company they can only tell other employers that you are no longer working there and the final position you held. They cannot say if you were a good or bad employee or if you were fired. Why would I stay with a company that I have no chance of moving to anything besides middle management in a non-tech field and I wouldn't even get a good letter of recommendation.
    - Constant raising of sales goals over all else. Most employees are required to meet a $350 minimum in sales daily (more if you are in sales focused positions like CDT Outbound marketing) but managers who are paid on how much the team sells push for a higher sales rate. This will include talks about how you may not be a good fit for this company if you can't exceed the arbitrary sales goals.
    - Management will literally play games in front of employees and refuse to help with problems. This will include a makeshift bocce ball course in the CDT office, a putting green, and impromtu football throwing over cubicles. Employees are so stressed about meeting their utilization (92% when I left) and meeting sales goals that it is a slap in the face.
    - Dude bro culture. Managment is 99% men. Don't be a woman, POC, or queer person in C3 or you will get no support and expect to feel ostracized by managment. CDT is the worse for this because it is all men.

- Continue to improve products.
    - Give C3 a chance to get out of C3.
    - Make accountability for people who are super sales focused and don't give a crap about tech.
    - Middle management is a joke and we don't even need them if there was more tech competent people running teams.

GoDaddy Response

Dec 19, 2014Director, People Operations

We are actively working toward building out a formalized set of career path for our talent so they can grow. 48% of our hires are internal moves. Personal and professional growth is more than just ... More

USED to be a great place to work

Former Employee - Internet Sales and Service Consultant in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Internet Sales and Service Consultant in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation was great if you were good at sales
    If you already have related technical training and experience you can excel
    Used to be phenomenal benefits (still average, but not great)
    Very discounted lunches
    Some really great people who really care about others work here...they're just not listened to anymore
    A LOT of theoretical vacation time

Cons

If you're good at sales...AND you don't fall into one of their constant micromanaging excuses (that are always being implemented but never actually tested until employees are screwed for a while) you can make a good wage here.

The benefits used to be awesome, but they've made it so that most of them are getting farmed to the cheapest bidder. "Full insurance" but less is covered, your employee costs for Rx went up in some cases 5x, and you can only use your vacation if you book it WAY in advance and they don't decide something is a black out day or holiday even if you've had vacation approved).

There used to be "the golden rule". If you can say what you're doing is right for the customer, right for the employee, and right for the company, the answer was "do it". Now that is absolutely gone. The order now is "what will net the company the most money for our potential IPO"

Stop. Please stop ruining this company. I'm no longer an employee there, but I'm saying this out of actual caring, because a lot of this company became my family. The only way to rationalize the recent decisions here is to believe that you've stopped caring about the people who work for you and now only care about what your IPO price may be. Unless you're upper management, the IPO price means almost nothing to us with the vesting schedule (and you force most of your good people out before then, since they question things). You built a huge awesome new facility with great relaxation benefits...but have put processes in place to micromanage your employees time to the point that over the course of a 2 week bonus period, there's a good chance they will LOSE that bonus entirely.

Quit putting practices into place (and products, please god!) before ACTUALLY testing them. Accountability metrics that have no actual "testing" behind them. Quit putting out lame excuses for why you can't improve the processes and fix things, and instead just shout down (or terminate) the people who work for you that have offered well though out alternatives.

So, yeah. Golden handcuffs. But be smart about it. The only way to fix this is to increase the pay/benefits/flexibility of the people who are awesome at what they do is to incent them properly into moving into management or training. You don't take a world championship sprinter and "prepare him to coach" by cutting off his foot and saying "well, it shouldn't have been that good to start with. But more often than not, management here is like choosing a political candidate. Why would someone good want to do that job?

And for the love of god, QUIT making people take your "Best Place To Work" survey when it's obvious you're only taking the data points you can spin your way. Make the entire results of the survey available to at least the employees. If you don't, then it's NOT a survey, it's just biased fake marketing.

Ultimately a waste of time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

* Free coffee
    * Free sodas
    * Discounted (terrible) lunch
    * Their paychecks don't bounce
    * If you can make it to your 10 year anniversary I hear they used to give out a nice watch. Not so sure about that anymore, but good luck anyway.

There's not that much positive to say, so I just need to write some more to meet the 20 word minimum.

Cons

* If you're in the Call Center you will be treated like a second class citizen (unless you can make tons of sales, at which point you'll be treated like Prince of the Second Class Citizens). There are two divisions at GoDaddy: Customer Care Center [C3] and Technical/Corporate [T/C], and the company acts accordingly: T/C gets everything and C3 gets the shaft. You WILL have a sales quota, despite what they tell you during the hiring or training process.
    * Gross, visibly unclean workspaces (one time they finally steam-cleaned the carpets and cubicles in the call center and it smelled like dirty, steamy feet in there for days afterwards).
    * Toxic, poisonous culture full of know-it-alls.
    * New investors are creating a good ol' boy network of their friends and forcing out longtime employees to do so.
    * Arbitrary review process that changes on a frequent basis and is easily manipulated by the company for THEIR benefit (i.e., finding a way to give you less of a raise at review time).
    * Company is slashing real benefits and replacing them with ridiculous things like skate parks and pedal car tracks (they're just marketing themselves to the new generation of employees they want, i.e., very young people willing to work for less and overlook silly things like good healthcare or vacation).
    * Company has wasted $$$$ on some weird open plan office that looks like it came straight out of an Ikea catalog. This has basically created a high school cafeteria atmosphere and no one gets any work done. I watched someone fly a noisy quadcopter around the office for over an hour while disturbing everyone else in the process.
    * Company typically fires a few people in most departments every July or August to make their numbers for the year look better. Several people in their Networking department have been let go to make room for friends of the investors, and more are exiting on their own since none of the new people running this department know what they're doing and are creating a terrible work environment. Also this summer they "laid off" several employees in their datacenter support department, then made the remaining employees work 80+ hour weeks to compensate, and then 3 to 4 months later are finally admitting it didn't work and are desperately trying to hire more. Somebody probably got a bonus for that though, because it looked okay for at least one quarter.
    * Upper management (especially C-level) is more interested in perception management and playing the cool guy game through personal branding.
    * Mid level management basically run their own personal fiefdoms.
    * Lower level management is utterly clueless, unresponsive, and spends most of their time in meetings hiding from their employees.

None needed, they know exactly what they're doing.

GoDaddy Response

Dec 5, 2014Customer Care Talent Acquisition Director

Thanks for your feedback. We are working on updating all of our facilities with state of the art work spaces, exciting activities, and open care center structures to help reduce noise volume. We ... More

"WAS" a great company!

I have been working at GoDaddy

Pros

1. Some great employees haven't been let go or fled the company.....yet.
    2. Free healthcare if you're single but for salaried employees they lowered the quality of the health plan offered.
    3. Employee outings.
    4. Free coffee.

Cons

1. Unlimited vacation policy that more often than not translates to less time off...and there is no vacation day carry-over.
    2. Tenured employees just disappear with rumors of them being forced out.
    3. There isn't much independent thinking in upper management.
    4. IPO is senior level management's priority. Unfortunately it only really benefits them.
    5. HR presents all employee benefit cuts as a good thing for employees. LOL!
    6. Employees are worried about losing their jobs.
    7. Meeting, meeting, meetings and more meetings but less communication.
    8. Low morale in many departments.
    9. Hard to be motivated when benefits are cut and the threat of being let go is constant.

There is no point giving advice because the management doesn't listen. Just because HR send out an email saying they listened doesn't make it so.

Gidaddy

Current Employee - Customer Care Lead in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Care Lead in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay good perks good people

Cons

No real cons. I've been happy here.