GoDaddy

Updated November 22, 2014
3.2

GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving
Blake Irving

Pros
  • Great Benefits (Although it will take you at least 90 days to get them) (in 31 reviews)

• Good hourly base pay, good benefits if you're single (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Transitioning from the call center to corporate is extremely difficult to do (in 24 reviews)

• They spend an inordinate amount of time on HR processes and studies only to throw much of the data away; again perception (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun company, lots of benefits but...

Current Employee - Internet Sales and Service Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Internet Sales and Service Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The cool thing about this job is that unlike most call centers they dont give you a script. You can pretty much direct the call however you'd like. They also have what seems to be a very good incentive plan.

Cons

This job sounds great on paper but after working here for a month I realize its not all that its cracked up to be. This is the first job Ive had working in a call center. They provide a month of training but only about ten days of it is with your trainer and the remainder of the training they have you on the phones as an attempt to "give you a feel of the real thing" However, upon the completion of training and starting my actual shift, I quickly realized things were alot different when you were doing the real thing. First off, if you're working in the inbound department you have to deal with tech calls all day. The idea is someone calls in with a tech problem and you are expected to somehow turn that around and make it into a sale. As a new employee, I sometimes become frustrated with the tech questions people call in with for two reasons. One being that I dont feel I had suffiencient training to enable me to assist some customers with confidence. In training they literally have told me,"If you dont know the answer just tell the customer you are going to review their account while you place them on a brief hold, and then freak out, and come ask someone". Which brings me to part two, whenever I dont know the answer I attempt to ask my supervisor who looks at me like Im a complete moron, its as if he expects me to know all the tech stuff when no one has even taught it to me. SELL, SELL, SELL. Thats all they seem to care about. I've literally had my supervisor refuse to answer a question I have until I load a product into the customers shopping cart to offer them. Not very helpful when Im busy stressing over a tech problem.

I suggest spending more time in training going over technical things and less time on phones.

The best job.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment for growth in many aspects, fair and equal opportunity to contribute and move up the ladder. AMAZING PAY, if you preform well (very sales driven). Laid back environment with FANTASTIC benefits.

Cons

Work facilities could use some improvement however they are currently working on getting that fixed by creating a new location.

Keep up the good work.

GoDaddy Response

Aug 15, 2014Customer Care Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for the praise and we're glad that it's been an awesome experience for you. Having a great place to work is super important to us and we'll have that new location ready to go before you ... More

Current Employee in Customer Sales and Support. I have been here a year and a half.

Current Employee - Internet Sales and Service Consultant in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Internet Sales and Service Consultant in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you enjoy being chained to your desk and on the phone 82% of every day (emailing customers counts against this), have no morals, go home feeling good about screwing not only your peers, but the customers over, and would put yourself in the same category as the slimiest used car salesman, then this is the place for you.

Cons

This job is very stressful. I leave the office exhausted daily. I left a good job to come to Godaddy under false pretenses. I was told it was a fun environment and I would make 20K more. It was a fun environment and I did make more for the first few weeks. Since they brought in new leadership to bring about the IPO things have gone downhill quickly. They have lowered our pay three times since I started. The last pay decrease we had a meeting with our director he praised us for having record sales numbers. In the next breath he told us that because we exceeded sales goals we also exceeded payroll budget because we are paid on commission. Instead of increasing payroll budget the decision was made to decrease our pay by 20%. When we brought up or concerns he said that the top reps will only miss out on $1K per paycheck and that he is OK with that. He said that those who do not like it can go find a different job that pays the same, inferring that we are not qualified. Well Tom, if godaddy hired you to push out all of your best people, the people that made godaddy what it is, and bring morale to the depths of despair, then you should get a raise sir. That is if the budget allows for it...

Prepare yourselves for a bumpy ride. Morale is in the toilet and everyone that I talk to is looking for a new job. I wasted a year and a half trying to stick it out, hoping that things would go back to the way they were before when Parsons ran the place, but I can't wait any longer. I found that better job and my last day is tomorrow. I won't be the last good rep that is lost to greener pastures.

Not a designers dream....

Former Employee - Website Designer in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Website Designer in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, environment, food, and perks. Worked with some very talented developers and designers who inspired me everyday. There is definitely a light feeling at work and the days can go by fast because its so busy.

Cons

Although I have heard its changing, I was poorly under paid, and management was worthless. Often management is hired externally, when they need to hire from within. There is really no opportunity to grow or move up, and they are cutting all corners before IPO

Get rid of Web site builder...... Do real web design, give credit to the behind the scenes people and not just they're management.

Amazed I made it this long

Current Employee - Inbound Tech Support and Sales in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Inbound Tech Support and Sales in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, 6 weeks time off (if you can get the time off approved), very liberal dress code, lots of opportunity for overtime,

Cons

Very sales focused through out the organization, lack of career development, lack of accountability for supervisors, the call center floor is dark, poor ventilated with no windows.

look at improving the physical environments especially the Gilbert call center, start promoting a technology driven culture instead of a "used car sales" atmosphere

Great people, but a lot of pressure to sell.

Former Employee - Customer Development Team
    Former Employee - Customer Development Team

I worked at GoDaddy full-time

Pros

Great people, great benefits, and competitive pay.

Cons

The customer development is all about sales numbers. If you are not a sales person who is comfortable with pushing products over the phone, this is not for you.

Decent experience. Just your average call center job/environment. Sales, sales, sales.

Former Employee - Cdt in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Cdt in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can make decent money in CDT but the bonuses are slowly but surely dwindled down over time. CDT is often referred as the golden handcuffs, as you take a huge pay cut to go into other departments. You can go into leadership but take a big hit in pay and the sups will not make as much as the best CDT reps. Health insurance is free, if you are single. Having a wife and kids- its not really any better then most companies. Bob Parsons founded the company and he put it on the map. He took really good care of his employees. KKR is the investment group who has a big stake in the company. The perks of the company are gradually chipped away. This is a sales job; you need to have that mindset starting here. You are paid fairly for the work you put in. The holiday parties are cool!

Cons

Some leadership is great and some not so much. This varies from department to department and who your supervisor is. The call centers are ran by a lot of condescending individuals who try to instill fear into their reps. The customer availability time was recently increased to 82%; you need to be aware of how much time you are off the phone as this will affect your paycheck. The company does not invest enough time (training) into the salesforce. The technology we use is subpar. The systems are slow and the hardware we use is not what one would expect from a technology company. The salesforce make the most revenue for the company and they are often treated the worst. Vacation time is based on availability ran by workforce. Needless to say, you have to request time off six months in advance if you ever want a Friday or Monday off. (This is relationship based, if you are in with the boys club you will get away with anything in the call center.) Over the last couple years the bonus structure is changing for the worse and seems to be trending in that direction as every other quarter there tends to be some perk or decrease in pay. In order to be successful at GoDaddy you have to "drink the kool-aid." Customer surveys need a better system as the wrong reps are punished, as they become the "fall guy" for another reps mistake. Promotions outside the call center are near impossible. Some senior managers genuinely care about the company and want to see change, unfortunately at this point their is a huge disparity with call center reps and salary employees regarding time off, micro management, team builders, work environment, and over all mentally and physically healthy environment. If you start in the call center you are pretty much stuck in it. You have to take a hug he pay cut to become a lead.

Less micro managing.
    More training.
    Do team builders with your teams. Unless you are a supervisor or higher you can't have team builders- why? Why such an inequality?
    Focus more on quality. Numbers are important to any business but so is quality customer service.
    Train more reps to solve customer issues rather then pawning them off on the next rep in line.
    The autodialer shouldn't call the customer 16 times before being removed for a short period of time and then re-added after a few month time period.
    Take more time to train your reps and stop treating them like a number.

Great possibilities with a tech leader, but be prepared for a Darwinian environment for new employees.

Former Employee - Inbound Sales and Support in Hiawatha, IA
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales and Support in Hiawatha, IA

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cutting-edge industry leader
    Very good benefit package
    Career growth potential
    Fun culture
    Mostly laid back managers

Cons

In this role, you will be live on the phone with customers on your seventh day. You will not have a full grasp of the basic functions of the CRM ordering system. This goes over and above your being a novice at the product line, which includes more than 60 offerings. Unless you are a skilled actor, or very versed in internet tech at the outset ( this is not a requirement to be hired, by the way), customers will sense that you are new and unsure. This can be a harrowing experience for the customer and especially for you, until you learn. Of course, during this time you will still be expected to sell product and have the credibility of an internet expert (at least in the perception of the customer).

Cut down the volume of new hires and invest in the best new people you can find. New agents shouldn't be expected to touch an actual customer until the second month at the earliest. Simulate typical customer interactions in training. This will be a huge confidence builder.

GoDaddy Response

Aug 14, 2014Customer Care Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you very much for the input. We are constantly evaluating the effectiveness of our training programs so that we can provide the best experience possible. Our training staff has been notified of ... More

Good place for sales, not for tech - sales and support

Current Employee - Sales and Support in Hiawatha, IA
    Current Employee - Sales and Support in Hiawatha, IA

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and above average pay. Coworkers are great and lower management is okay. Great opportunity to learn during training.If you are a salesperson this job is for you.

Cons

During the interview they said the job was 50/50 support and sales but it was indeed a sales job. Sales goals are the most important theme running through the customer care centers. They called it consulting during training but it's sales. Also, a lot of the products are second-rate but they expect you to sell them anyway. If you are more of a tech expert or web developer than a salesperson, do not take the sales and support position. I'm serious.

Try to recognize individuals with technology skills even if they can't make the kind of sales that you might expect.

Great Company, Long Hours

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Salary/Benefits
    Offices are beautiful and well done
    CEO is inspirational

Cons

Long Hours
    Was very difficult to get time off
    Did I ment the long hours? Especially if you are salary.