GoDaddy

Updated December 10, 2014
3.1

GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving
Blake Irving

Pros
  • Great Benefits (Although it will take you at least 90 days to get them) (in 31 reviews)

• Good hourly base pay, good benefits if you're single (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Transitioning from the call center to corporate is extremely difficult to do (in 24 reviews)

• They spend an inordinate amount of time on HR processes and studies only to throw much of the data away; again perception (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun environment but a lot of constant change

Current Employee - Technical Support and Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Technical Support and Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun work environment (ping pong, go carts, rock wall, etc.)
    Cheap meals for breakfast and lunch and provide healthy options.
    Most supervisors are cool to work with and help you get to where you're going.
    Great benefits, good pay, and plenty of opportunities to win things.
    Like to hire within more than outside (for tier two jobs like advanced tech support).
    Plenty of resources to get your job done.
    Endless career opportunities as they're always hiring!
    Good work/life balance. You work your 40 hours per week and they don't require overtime (but they do take volunteers when needed)
    They have a gym with lockers/showers/towel service.
    Also, if you're working on the phones, you will have a minimum sales tier you need to hit. It can be hard at times, but if you're good at talking with people, you won't have a problem with it.

Cons

Turning into micromanaging; constant change in management and employee policies.
    Not only do you have to call an attendance line to call out (which is totally fine), you have to call your supervisor and let them know you will be out too (even if it's at 3 am...weird!)
    If you are late and don't have sick time, you are on a final written warning for 1 year. If you are late while on a final written warning within that 1 year period, you will lose your job.
    "Availability" is how much time you're logged on to your computer. As much cool & fun things there are to do here, you really don't have any time to take advantage of it while on the clock. (but really, you should be working anyways.. right? ;) )

I understand change, and that GoDaddy is a business that needs to be ran properly so they can provide the best customer service and make money, but it's starting to feel like we're in the first grade again, and not being treated like responsible working adults.

***AWESOME COMPANY, OUTSTANDING OPPORTUNITY AND UPWARD MOBILITY, GREAT ATMOSPHERE ***

Current Employee - Internet Sales and Service Consultant in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Internet Sales and Service Consultant in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I retired from 22+ years in the Navy just this past April. I was extremely nervous about my transition from the military to the civilian workforce. I heard great things about GoDaddy and decided to try it out. I am so glad I did! I love the GoDaddy culture, laid back yet professional. I was intimidated going to work for a tech company with limited experience, but the TRAINING PROGRAM WAS OUTSTANDING! Although I didn't need all the benefits due to my military retirement, the great benefits package start on DAY 1 of training. Most importantly, GREAT UPWARD MOBILITY! GoDaddy is all about retention, being well rounded within the company, and upward mobility. They recognize hard work and just about from day one, you have the opportunity to "shadow" other departments and get a feel about where in the company you want to go next. I love how they encourage you to strive for greatness.

Cons

It's hard to come up with cons about your company when you are so happy about your job. GoDaddy doesn't pay me for sitting at home and watching ESPN....is that a con?

Gidaddy

Current Employee - Customer Care Lead in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Care Lead in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay good perks good people

Cons

No real cons. I've been happy here.

What goes up must come down

Former Employee - Internet Sales and Service Consultant in Tempe, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good benefits, health, dental, 401k
    -Subsidized lunch, usually pretty good options too
    -Holiday party was fun
    -New building has ping pong tables, foosball, free coffee.

Cons

Was an employee for 3 years, and in the beginning it was great. Very few hated the job, I suspect they would've almost hated it anywhere. Pay was great, but they also did a great job of making sure you don't get stressed or burnt out. Things have changed ever since Bob Parsons stepped down from CEO. There are some numbers that don't lie, the amount of people leaving lately is one of them

-Company doesn't really listen, even though they have a system in place that allows people to input.
    -Has a survey sent to customers, people who barely know what a username is, and they let those types of customers dictate whether you have a job or not.
    -Slowly has put in policies to make sure you're on the phones more, burning you out much quicker
    -Has increased sales tier, even cut out some tiers for the department that was making the most revenue. Very few people are able to hit these tiers on a consistent basis in other departments

Listening to employees use to be something the company did. It is no longer the case, and everything is about the dollar value. I understand it's a business, and the whole goal of a business is to make money, but it use to be a good balance of making money, keeping employees happy, and satisfying customers, but now they're trading employee happiness for it, as if you look at the amount of people who wants to leave, or have already left.

GoDaddy use to only hire internally, but now hiring just about any body, as quickly as possible. I suspect people who use to work in these departments no longer want to work there, and people internally know some of these departments are not the way to go. People externally are just happy to get a job.

I may just sound like a former disgruntled employee at this time, but as previously stated, there are some numbers that don't lie, out of all the years I've been there, only recently have I seen people start to drop like flies.

GoDaddy Response

Dec 5, 2014Director, People Operations

We regularly solicit feedback from our employees through multiple venues, including an internal employee initiated Blog that solicits suggestions and comments, round-table meetings at all sites with ... More

Was good, until it wasn't

Former Employee - Technical Support and Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Technical Support and Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great culture, bonus pay, benefits and building. Subsidized lunch, hot food even for overnight employees.

Cons

Terrible attendance policy. Most places use a point system for attendance, but with godaddy you accrue hours. Due to this, a new employee within their first 90 days CANNOT TAKE ONE DAY OFF. I was sick one day, and immediately put on a final warning due to only having 5.5 sick hours available. Accidentally returned from lunch one day 5 minutes late, and was pulled aside and told my employment would be put up for review. 22 days later, with no further issues. I was pulled aside and terminated.

Review your idea of attendance. This sort of scheme punishes a lot more than expected. I took one day off and was terminated for <10min of time missed. Feels a bit silly to me. I understand not doing a point system as it allows people to game the system, but it's pretty silly that I can't even take a single day off without being worried for my job as a new employee.

GoDaddy Response

Nov 6, 2014Customer Care Talent Acquisition Director

Personal time is available after 30 days. In addition to Personal days, our agents also accrue sick and vacation time throughout the year to both take care of their unplanned personal needs as well ... More

GoDaddy Entry Level Employee

Former Employee - Internet Sales and Service Consultant in Tempe, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a decent place to work. From my knowledge not exceptional compared to other companies of this kind.

Cons

As others have said, you need to provide technical support while trying to sell, sell, sell.

One or the other. Tech support or sales.

From customer service to QA Engineer

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. I was able to grow professionally and I am thankful for that. Amazing company holiday parties.

Cons

No flexibility in working remotely.

One of the BEST places I've ever worked.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I wake up every morning energized to come to work at GoDaddy - I feel like I have the BEST job in the world because of the way my manager makes me feel. I am empowered, supported, and given the tools and development I need to succeed and given the freedom to make mistakes (although I try to avoid them when I can!). I learn from everything and I am given the latitude to try new things. I love working at GoDaddy because of the challenging work and the PEOPLE. Our culture here is fun and the people are like family to me. I am always learning and constantly growing because of our amazing culture and the people here are supportive, fun, and intelligent. I am ALL IN because of the amazing culture, the opportunities to learn and grow, and because of the people. Great job opportunities. The culture and values at GoDaddy are positive and inspiring - we're here to make an impact and I feel a sense of pride.

Cons

We are still building our internal infrastructure - so we're scrappy - kind of like a start-up at scale. It's cool because you can make an impact and not feel like a COG in a wheel at a bigger tech company. GoDaddy still has a smaller-start-up feel - which I love.

Continue to listen to employees and focus on creating an employee-first culture. I love it here and hope that we continue to live our values and share our awesome culture with the world.

...:::BEST PLACE I'VE EVER WORKED 2 years now:::...

Current Employee - Billing Representative in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Billing Representative in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Six Figure income as a billing rep! Amazing benefits, spiffs and contests/prizes. Great bosses. Casual dress code. This is a once in a lifetime place to work...that's how good it is!

Cons

Just waiting to move into our new building.

Keep doing what you're doing!

High stress with little opportunity

Former Employee - Advanced Hosting Support in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Advanced Hosting Support in Tempe, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people that work at Godaddy are great. Very energetic. There are some decent perks depending on what building you work in. Great job if you are going to school at the same time due to flexible schedules

Cons

High stress, Huge divide between management and "regular" employees, not much growth potential

Solicit feedback from the lowest on the totem pole. Develop realistic growth opportunity plans as what was presented to me during the hiring phase was not accurate. Find people core strengths and develop them.