GoPro

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015
2.8

Nicholas Woodman

Great company to grow and learn- still lacking processes, but that comes with growing pains.

I have been working at GoPro

Pros

Enthusiastic employees + great benefits + salary

Cons

Leadership is sometimes lost on goals and communication to employees

Improve communication to your employees- they need to know the top-level goals in order to stay aligned as a company

Supervisor Grudges

Former Employee - Tech Support Agent in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Tech Support Agent in Orem, UT

I worked at GoPro full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Laid back easy going atmosphere, fun environment, great to learn about the cameras, as being a Tech Agent in a call center was a job I sincerely enjoyed going yo and say myself going far with this company.

Cons

Training was horrible. Best training was hands on.. Not with a camera but with a Knowledge Base. Was promised a product after training, never received one. So learning the product without a product was a bit challenging and embarrassing. Supervisors at this location seemed like they're weren't glad to be there. Angry looks on their faces, asking for help or knowledge was almost uncomfortable for the feeling I was bothering them, or a sort of an annoyance (due to lack of proper training) so I quit approaching help. I started to mess up at my job. I got a first and final warning. I reached out for help. No response. Let go 1 month later due to "decreased call volume" meanwhile training was being held for more employees. - unfair supervisors - they chose their favorites - were not very friendly.

If your employees reach out to you, don't ignore them. Train your trainers better. Give your employees a product they're troubleshooting and resolving issues..

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GoPro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

totally stoked work environment, they are pet friendly, they use new tools, they offer full support, hackothons, plus weekly and monthly happy hour!

Cons

salary is the main con, transparency with upper management could be better, quickly expanding which has good/bad atrubutes. overall a great place to work.

Supply Chain Management Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at GoPro as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Working here, especially in this department was outstanding.
    -My manager gave me extreme freedom when giving me a task. It allowed me to create and design things that only made the project better. He wasn't afraid to tell me what needed to be fixed either, allowing me to waste less time.
    -Everyone gets along really well, we celebrated birthdays together, respected each other
    -We shared a passion and excitement for the product
    -Interns were offered several opportunities to network and grow as a professional
    -Work-life balance, was more like a work-life integration. I was never in a rush to get home because being at the office was fun and interesting.

Cons

-Getting access to needed systems was a bit delayed, which delayed projects, but that's what having multiple projects to work on are for.
    -On boarding was a little bumpy but HR asked for opinions to improve process, so that's likely no longer a problem.

I've read a lot of reviews stating that management doesn't care about employees. I did not notice this as an intern. Operations management all the way up to execs talked to me at some point, thanking me for the work I did. At my final presentation at the end of the internship, the Senior VP explained the importance of my work to the entire department and truly made me feel valued and appreciated.

Worst company I've ever worked for in the bay area.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at GoPro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Most people that work here want to work hard and be the best
    - You get a free camera and nice discounts on cameras after that
    - A lot of opportunities to make impactful changes if management/leadership will listen

Cons

- Has some of the worst managers in all of the bay area
    - No development or mentorship of current talent
    - No real vision or plan on how to win over the long term
    - For a relatively small company transparency and communication is extremely poor
    - The CEO has checked out

Stop promoting people to management and leadership roles that don't have a clue how to manage or lead. Managers/Leaders should be chosen based on talent, ideas, know-how and leadership ability. Invest in them. Mentor them. Help them become leaders of people.

Establish a plan for company success over the next 2, 5, 10 and 15 years. Share that vision with the employees. Invest in the employees so they they can help achieve those goals.

Epic company to work for, if you're in the inner circle

I worked at GoPro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Killer benefits and perks
    Free equipment
    Paid travel to trade shows
    Awesome events for employees
    Like minded individuals
    Felt like a startup at times
    Its easy to believe in the company's potential

Cons

Rigid hours
    Management lacks cohesion and focus (this comes from the very top down leaving lower level managers in a bad position)
    Lack of transparency - this is to be expected with a company this large but there are lots of little secrets that people pass around - again you need to be in the inner circle
    Promotion and reward not always based on merit. There are a handful of individuals in higher level positions because they are friends with the management, not because they deserve to be there.
    Teams are entirely separate and are not aware of each others goals. There seems to be little interest in fixing this. Its somewhat of a Google approach so no one team knows the full picture. Helps new products and initiatives remain secret.

Now that there are billions in the bank, quit focusing on how to make that much more money. It will come now that GoPro is a verb much like Xerox or Sharpie.

Trim the fat - the employees that have moved around the company and are bad apples. They can go. Many people dislike them and it weakens confidence in culture and professionalism.

Keep the stoke alive. You have this down so far. If this can remain intact or even grow more, all the employees will be happy.

GoPro GoPro GoPro

Young company growing fast = growing pains as well

I have been working at GoPro full-time

Pros

From the outside looking in it feels like it's an exciting media company.
    Great experience in the corporate world.
    A considerably young demographic
    Worth 11 billion dollars, nothing really says "we believe in you" then 11 billion dollars.

Cons

Leadership is lacking, there doesn't seem to be a process/structure.
    It oddly resembles a corporate culture when it has such a young team.
    Teams are completely separated from each other, this leads to a lot of tension/mis-understandings and communication.
    9-5 on-site hours are expected ~

Consider prioritizing your employees before your products.
    Create culture that doesn't seem like it's being forced.
    Enable employees to do more.
    More off-sites that mix teams up, allowing them to get lcoser with each other.

Generally A- rating.

Current Employee - Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at GoPro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- People are great. They're smart, work-hard, play-hard types.
    - Products are awesome (don't really need to elaborate there - it's GoPro!)
    - Environment is cool. Everyone is pulling in the same direction. It's a lot of fun!
    - Benefits are good. No issues there - salary, bonus, stock, 401k, snack rooms, etc. Fairly typical for the Valley.

Cons

- Grown quickly from start-up to public company. Definitely some growing pains.
    - There's been some slips along the way, but it's getting better.
    - I read some other reviews. It's true that the management has been pretty bad in the past. But it's getting better (some of the newer execs know how to manage - will need to see if they're strong enough to fix everything). Time will tell.
    - There is some empire building (not really surprising in a fast-growing company). Not too bad.

- Now that you're rich, don't forget about the little guys that put you there.
    - It wouldn't hurt to clean house - time for some of the more obnoxious, long-time individuals to go (you know who they are!!)
    - Watch the empire building. Some of your org choices are just weird!

worst company ever

I have been working at GoPro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free GoPro camera, a lot of free food & drinks

Cons

Poor management, stressful, political, no thing to gain/learn

Hard Working Employees - Horrible Management, Lacking Integrity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at GoPro full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The hard working people are some of the best I have worked with. Fun product, looks great on your resume. Everybody wants to be a hero. It is always a good experience to work in a chaotic, start-up environment; you learn a lot and will make life-long bonds with some co-workers. Working for crappy managers can also teach you survival skills that always come in handy.

Cons

Definitely the lack of real leadership. Top level employees are out of touch and lack integrity. The HR department's leadership is the biggest joke of all. Do not expect honesty, professionalism, definitely do not expect due process if you have trouble with your manager; they take the "At Will Employee" concept to the extreme. You can be fired on the spot for wearing the wrong clothes, not making the right "friends", or simply having an idea about how to improve a process (something few at the company are actually interested in exploring). The executive staff are all afraid of upsetting the CEO, they are all highly paid 'Yes" men and women. I understand respect and agree with the concept, what I will never understand is why a man or woman in a leadership position would create and feed an environment where everybody is more interested in stroking egos than in building a future for a company and the employees that dedicate 70%+ of their day to make it all work. Nobody will work together to solve problems, it is always the other guy's fault when something goes wrong.

Grow a pair and get real. To HR - It's not the parties that matter, it's how you treat the "people". Remember them?