GoPro Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
27 reviews filtered by
2.8
Nicholas Woodman

1. Fun, inspirational company. Lots of perks, discounts, great benefits.

Current Contractor - Copywriter in San Mateo, CA
    Current Contractor - Copywriter in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at GoPro as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Founder is still hands-on very much involved with the vision. Brand is reputable. Relaxed atmosphere. Free snacks and drinks in every kitchen. Weekly activities, paid two hours a week to go use your GoPro camera and do something fun, free yoga.

Cons

The company is expanding rapidly and with that comes growing pains. There is a lot of miscommunication and the structure is still trying to be established. Frustrating at times, but overall little stress and fun people to work for/with.

2. Good company to work if you want a challenging job.

I have been working at GoPro

Pros

Liberty to imply new ideas, processes, and concepts to do your job when

Cons

It's a company that is growing so fast, where processes and systems are still immature, working here takes much patience, problem solving skills, and leadership to manage your job well.

Thorough communications among departments. Decisions may not base on data from all teams.

3. Passionate company with a few growing pains

Current Employee - Producer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Producer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at GoPro full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great culture, cutting edge and inspiring company to work at

Cons

Lots of process to figure out but all due to a good problem of growing up fast!

5. When I die, I want the GoPro management team to lower my casket into my grave. (So they can let me down one last time).

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at GoPro as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

You get to tell people you work at GoPro, and they will think you are so cool!

Cons

You are surrounded by people that think they are really cool, because they work at GoPro.

Most of these people just happen to be terrible managers with no experience, but you have to kiss a lot of mega-cool arse to get there, so it makes sense. Unfortunately the people that actually care about their job performance don't get considered for much.

For the sake of everyone's sanity - please replace yourselves with competent people.

Not the cool company it appears to be.

I have been working at GoPro full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- The work itself is unique and interesting.
    - I get the chance work with some very talented individuals.
    - Very cool product.
    - Fun work parties.
    - Grateful that I have the brand and experience on my resume.

Cons

- Nepotism. Don't expect hard work or experience to get you anywhere in this company. People get promoted (and hired) with questionable experience because they know the right people, which is incredibly disheartening.
    - Bullying by management. The brand is constantly leveraged as a means to manipulate employees.
    - Misleading information about salaries and promotions. I personally know at least a few people that tried to negotiate their salary and were suddenly given a lower salary with no explanation. Quite often they fail to follow through with their promises.
    - Working cross-functionally is a foreign concept. As is any trace of professionalism.
    - Very little transparency.
    - Management across the board has zero experience. No real leadership, no real support. They spend most of their time in power struggles and attempting to feed their huge egos.
    - No direction, communication, or structure. It feels like nobody's steering the ship.
    - Employee morale is wildy low, yet employees will get talked to by management if they're not constantly smiling and pretending they're enthused about the general state of affairs. Don't even think about complaining.
    - The culture feels so forced that it's actually awkward: "GoPro! GoPro! GoPro!"
    - Blantant disregard for the professional needs/development of employees. I literally had to beg my manager for performance reviews.

It's clear that many employees are just waiting until their stock options are fully vested to check out. While there are some benefits, this place definitely isn't for everyone. If you're fresh out of school and want to use this company to springboard your career through the brand, by all means apply.

Quit being so narcissistic and grow up.

Supervisor Grudges

Former Employee - Tech Support Agent in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Tech Support Agent in Orem, UT

I worked at GoPro full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Laid back easy going atmosphere, fun environment, great to learn about the cameras, as being a Tech Agent in a call center was a job I sincerely enjoyed going yo and say myself going far with this company.

Cons

Training was horrible. Best training was hands on.. Not with a camera but with a Knowledge Base. Was promised a product after training, never received one. So learning the product without a product was a bit challenging and embarrassing. Supervisors at this location seemed like they're weren't glad to be there. Angry looks on their faces, asking for help or knowledge was almost uncomfortable for the feeling I was bothering them, or a sort of an annoyance (due to lack of proper training) so I quit approaching help. I started to mess up at my job. I got a first and final warning. I reached out for help. No response. Let go 1 month later due to "decreased call volume" meanwhile training was being held for more employees. - unfair supervisors - they chose their favorites - were not very friendly.

If your employees reach out to you, don't ignore them. Train your trainers better. Give your employees a product they're troubleshooting and resolving issues..

Great company to grow and learn- still lacking processes, but that comes with growing pains.

I have been working at GoPro

Pros

Enthusiastic employees + great benefits + salary

Cons

Leadership is sometimes lost on goals and communication to employees

Improve communication to your employees- they need to know the top-level goals in order to stay aligned as a company

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GoPro full-time (more than a year)

Pros

totally stoked work environment, they are pet friendly, they use new tools, they offer full support, hackothons, plus weekly and monthly happy hour!

Cons

salary is the main con, transparency with upper management could be better, quickly expanding which has good/bad atrubutes. overall a great place to work.

Worst company I've ever worked for in the bay area.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at GoPro full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Most people that work here want to work hard and be the best
    - You get a free camera and nice discounts on cameras after that
    - A lot of opportunities to make impactful changes if management/leadership will listen

Cons

- Has some of the worst managers in all of the bay area
    - No development or mentorship of current talent
    - No real vision or plan on how to win over the long term
    - For a relatively small company transparency and communication is extremely poor
    - The CEO has checked out

Stop promoting people to management and leadership roles that don't have a clue how to manage or lead. Managers/Leaders should be chosen based on talent, ideas, know-how and leadership ability. Invest in them. Mentor them. Help them become leaders of people.

Establish a plan for company success over the next 2, 5, 10 and 15 years. Share that vision with the employees. Invest in the employees so they they can help achieve those goals.

Supply Chain Management Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Mateo, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Mateo, CA

I worked at GoPro as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Working here, especially in this department was outstanding.
    -My manager gave me extreme freedom when giving me a task. It allowed me to create and design things that only made the project better. He wasn't afraid to tell me what needed to be fixed either, allowing me to waste less time.
    -Everyone gets along really well, we celebrated birthdays together, respected each other
    -We shared a passion and excitement for the product
    -Interns were offered several opportunities to network and grow as a professional
    -Work-life balance, was more like a work-life integration. I was never in a rush to get home because being at the office was fun and interesting.

Cons

-Getting access to needed systems was a bit delayed, which delayed projects, but that's what having multiple projects to work on are for.
    -On boarding was a little bumpy but HR asked for opinions to improve process, so that's likely no longer a problem.

I've read a lot of reviews stating that management doesn't care about employees. I did not notice this as an intern. Operations management all the way up to execs talked to me at some point, thanking me for the work I did. At my final presentation at the end of the internship, the Senior VP explained the importance of my work to the entire department and truly made me feel valued and appreciated.