GoWaiter

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
2.7

CEO

Restaurant Delivery Service with numerous franchise locations across the nation and a single corporate office.

Current Employee - Call Center in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Call Center in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at GoWaiter part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to do. Training is excellent, corporate culture is fairly standard. Work-life balance can be a little crazy as times.

Cons

Demanding, no benefits, average pay.

Give your employees a raise and it will encourage them to do better and reduce turnover.

Worst Company Ever

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Valdosta, GA
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Valdosta, GA

I have been working at GoWaiter as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

There are really not any pros working for this company.

Cons

Where do I start? The pay is detrimental. You don't get paid for the miles you drive and there can be many days where it will be slow and you make very little take home money. They also don't care where they send you (I've been sent to cities outside of the COUNTY).

people just don't want to pay tips .

Current Employee - Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GoWaiter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

you are able to set your own hours and work whenever you want

Cons

you could be in your car for 10 hrs and only 4 runs and leave with 20.00

dont over load with drivers. only schedule a certain amount per day. their should be a gas incentive gas cost too much and some people just look at you as a pizza delivery person that gets a hourly wage and dont realize that the tips are the backbones of our jobs. we give alot of time and do alot of waiting and making sure orders are right for someone to just stiff you on a tip. If you can't afford to tip then you shouldnt be ordering from go waiter . they are not a fast food company and dont get hourly wages

GoWaiter - Southaven/Olive Branch, MS

Current Employee - Delivery Waiter in Southaven, MS
    Current Employee - Delivery Waiter in Southaven, MS

I have been working at GoWaiter part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Based on the other reviews, it must really matter which franchise you work for. Here in MS, things are great. As a delivery driver, I know I am responsible for my own car expenses. As of March, 2014, in our area delivery fees to the customer are now based on driving distance to their home from the restaurant they choose, plus 99% of customers tip the driver. As a driver, I get 70% of the delivery fee plus all the tips the customer allots. Sometimes a credit card customer leaves a tip on the card but still tips me in cash at the door. I am making excellent money for a part-time job and love that I can set my own hours. As an independent contractor (which I prefer to stay), I understand renting the equipment is mandatory (ensuring I'm not an employee). If the company instituted an hourly pay (referencing other reviews), I would then be an employee, they could start telling me what I had to do and when I had to work, etc.

Example: last week a customer ordered from 2 different restaurants and paid a total of $17.98 in delivery fees - (of which I got $12.60), then tipped me $9.00. All on a $50 food total with a 24 mile round trip delivery for me. I'd say getting paid $21.60 on ONE order makes out for excellent pay. Every now and then a customer does not tip me, but again, I get a large portion of the delivery fee. If customer lives much closer, their delivery fee can be as low as $3.99, but then, I'm not gone as long on that delivery so I can deliver more per hour.

Maybe it varies across the country, but in our area - folks are tired but don't cook. They are happy to pay almost whatever delivery fees and tips it requires to get food delivered to their door, hot and delicious. I have noticed that when I wear nicer clothes (black pants and a black/red or white shirt) as opposed to jeans....I get higher tips. And don't forget to itemize the .56/mile write off allowed on taxes. Keep daily track on expense reports/apps.

P.S. I heard franchise corporate management had a change-over last year (2013).

Cons

If your car is not fuel-efficient, you won't make a lot of money due to gas expense.

In our area, keep doing what you are doing. I love it when you have just the right amount of drivers per shift ensuring I don't spend time with nothing to do while "on" duty.

While many deliver food to help get by, including myself when I started with GoWaiter; I ended up finding my career.

Current Employee - Manager in Southaven, MS
    Current Employee - Manager in Southaven, MS

I have been working at GoWaiter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing growth potential, flexible schedules, better tips than with pizza delivery.

Cons

If you love driving like I do, you won't mind it to much but it will put a lot of mileage on your car.

PENSACOLA AREA, you are a contractor with no hourly wages and assume the liability. I made 4.04 an hour.

Current Employee - Delivery Waiter in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Delivery Waiter in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at GoWaiter as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good business idea that needs some adjustment. I do like the idea that you set your own hours - just mark the time sheet when you will be there.

Cons

There is NO hourly wages. The delivery fee is 4.99 and you get 3.00 of that. What I observed is GoWaiter gets 1.99 delivery fee plus a percentage of the food order - I thought I saw it at 20%, so THEY are making money. You rent the equipment anywhere from 1.00 to 3.00 per day.

The delivery area is the entire city of Pensacola, Pensacola Beach (you pay the 1.00 toll to cross the bridge) and Perdido Key - very big area.

One order takes an hour to deliver. Often you have to wait for the restaurant to make the food when you arrive. My case is usually 15 mins and has been upto 45 mins - all unpaid.

In the past three days, I worked 3 hrs, 8 hrs, and another 8 hrs for a total of 19 hrs this week. My total compensation was 96.77 in tips and the 3.00 delivery fee included. I spent 20.00 in gas and at the end of my shift I am on empty (no extra hidden $ in my tank). I put 335 miles in those 19 hrs on my car as far as wear and tear. I paid 19.95 for my oil change and 35.00 a month for this new phone to take the job (hidden expenses not added into my 'income' of 96.77.

Basic maths, if you take 96.77 in tips and delivery fees (-) minus the 20.00 I paid for gas (=) equals to 76.77 in income.

76.77 in income divided by 19 hrs = 4.04 per hour is what I made this past week.

Florida min wage is 7.93 an hour and tip wage is 4.91, I did not even make tip wage and that amount assumes you get tips.

This job income is basically only from tips and you wait for the food to be made and take an order an hour.

Last thing, they make the money, you take the loss, and if you have an accident to something spills - its your cost! They are legally free from ANY liability and dont have to pay wages for contractors.

There really needs to be a forced tip if you consider us as contractors. Just as if you see on some restaurant receipts that state 'a party of 6 or more and 20% tip is added.'

It makes no sense for drivers to drive 12 miles each way for 1.00 tip and 3.00 in delivery fees and hour, minus rental fees for use and advertising your business.

I quit - Its just about the money and if I wanted to make 4.04 per hour, I would apply for a job making shoes in China or taking a call in an Indian call centre.

GoWaiter Review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at GoWaiter part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly work environment, able to work out schedule

Cons

Compensation was not the best, and the values of the company were not congruent with my own

Pay works out to below minimum wage, authorities need to be informed that this is going on.

Current Employee - Delivery Driver
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver

I have been working at GoWaiter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and low pressure.

Cons

The job puts a lot of wear and tear on your car, not to mention the cost of gas. None of this is compensated for, and the pay including tips always works out to less than minimum wage no matter how busy you are.

Put in an hourly rate, add gas costs per mile to customer's bill, and require a minimum 10% tip automatically added to bill.

A lot of wear on my car and filling up, but it works around my schedule

I have been working at GoWaiter part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can make your own hours to work and there's no limit to the amount you can earn if you have the time to do so

Cons

The lack of compensation for gas or mileage eats away at the money you make unless you have a very gas-efficient vehicle

No base pay can make a slow day frustrating

A base hourly pay

Not a career move!

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at GoWaiter

Pros

The dispatch manager is the only reason that company hasn't gone under, and the only reason I'm still there. She knows what she's doing and genuinely cares about the company and it's workers b/c she know w/o drivers, the company is nothing. An ounce of respect from the one person who receives none from upper management goes a long way.

Cons

"Upper" management doesn't care about the company or drivers, as the president of the company put it "Drivers come a dime a dozen, terminate their contracts and hire some new ones" . He also eloquently stated that some drivers have been there too long and became "comfortable", and those drivers needed to go (there are only 2 of us who fit this description because the turn over rate is so high). The GM lacks the basic KSA's and responsibility to do the simple tasks which are written out for him, but b/c his father is the CFO, he has the position and everyone is scared to say anything about his job performance. Rather, lack of... So, it's b/c of this "management" that GoWaiter is a stepping stone for many individuals when it could be a career choice. It's an organization that prides itself on the motto it's not what you know but who you know, and in this case, if the GM likes you; you can go far regardless of whether you possess the necessary skills, motivation, and steadfastness to perform the tasks at hand.

Get a backbone and get rid of the dead weight. If a branch was dangling precariously over your vehicle, you wouldn't wait for a storm to knock it off the tree and take out your car would you. The GM is the dangling branch. Are you going to wait till he brings down the whole vehicle or are you going to cut if off before anything further damage is done?