Goal Zero Reviews

Joe Atkin

1. Ignore the Negative Comments

Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Bluffdale, UT
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Bluffdale, UT

I worked at Goal Zero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First off, I would ignore the negative comments. Most of them come from independent contractors who oversaw Costco Roadshow booths which is very different experience than a full-time employee. I worked closely on the roadshow inventory planning and reporting and can tell you that the expectations that were set were realistic and honest BUT it's a difficult direct sales position and not everyone will perform equally. My experience was great. I found that if I had an idea, I had the support from management to design, get feedback and implement a solution. I felt like I had family there. Some have mentioned that training is non-existent but that's not 100% true; training is definitely less formal and is usually prompted by a request from the one seeking it. Whenever a new product launched, we would get have a formal meeting to go over it's specs. While training might be inconsistent, I always felt like management was willing to take the time to mentor me and help me with charting out a career plan. They seemed more concerned with my growth as a person, than my growth just in my job title. All in all, it's was a good place to work

Cons

Goal Zero will take all the time you can give it and ask for more; there's just that much that always needs to be done. So, while work-life balance is definitely advocated, it's up to you to guard it.

2. Brand Advocate

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Bluffdale, UT
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Bluffdale, UT

I have been working at Goal Zero part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool product, flexible work schedule. Ability to pick up last minute work.

Cons

Management is very uncommunicative. No process for training. Long hours 10.5 a day for 10 days straight.

Advice to Management

Create a better training program. Communicate with reps more regularly or hire an extra set of hands to do it for you. It would be worth it, I really believe it would decrease turnover rates and increase sales to have more communication from management.

3. Innovative, Fast growing Company

I have been working at Goal Zero full-time

Pros

Chances to grow and advance if initiative is taken, make a difference by bringing solar to consumers and work for a company that gives back through humanitarian projects.

Cons

Some politics as the company has grown, some disorganization and growing pains from the rapid growth.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture of Goal Zero alive.

5. A company that is making a difference and empowering lives

Pros

If you do a great job, and excel, there are great opportunities to grow along with the company.

Cons

Losing some of the innovative and creative, laid back environment that existed when the company first was started in 2009.

Advice to Management

Believe in the company and employees and work hard to keep the growth and culture alive.

6. Customer service

Pros

Excellent work environment. Company culture is relaxed, yet still embodies ideals of working hard and serving others.

Cons

Nothing to add here.

7. Informative, always new products changing the playing field, very inertactive with customer and staff/company.

Former Employee - Independent Merchandiser in Kailua Kona, HI
    Former Employee - Independent Merchandiser in Kailua Kona, HI

Pros

Chances of travel, both on the islands and mainland, never the same customer more then twice!

Cons

Product doesn't always arrive on time for show, several returns from previous shows mixed with new products lines or customers returning product used, self damaged, or missing items from package deals

Advice to Management

Better tracking of inventory, returns should be labled and shipped in a different color package, so you know which is damaged or product returns so they don't get mixed with the next shipment for a new show.

8. Costco Roadshow Representative

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Baltimore, MD

Pros

There really isn't any Pro's in this position other than the ability to work on your own with absolutely no one looking over your shoulder from the company.

Cons

1. Company states roadshow reps earning at $2000-$4000 per show which is totally untrue. 2. You must stand 101/2 hours at your booth for 10-11 days. 3. Goal Zero deducts 10% from your gross sales and that goes to Costco 4. Goal Zero deducts 4% from your gross sales for future returns back to Costco whether they are returned or not. 5. Goal Zero deducts $50.00 from your paycheck for the Costco Booth fee. 6. If anything is returned doing your show that amount is deducted from your gross Costco sales even though you did not sell those items. One show that I did $700 was returned and deducted from my sales 7. You have to set up your booth the night before your show which takes 4-5 hours and you do not get paid for it 8. There is no contact with the home office to answer questions 9. Products are overpriced 10. Roadshow sales west of the Mississippi are fairly good but east of the Mississippi are terrible. 11. Three years ago you were paid within 4 days now it takes up to three weeks. 12. Commissions and expenses were cut last year 13. Delivery problems with goods shipped to Costco 14. Most Costco locations treat you as a second class vendor

Advice to Management

There is no support from Costco team. No one answers phone calls. Products are overpriced and poor inventory shipments to stores on the east coast . Treat your reps better.

9. Good product, although falsely advertised.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

Pros

Poor scheduling of reps....company always contacts reps for need of support...yet provides none...fake.

Cons

Ships outdated product for rep to sell....customer unhappy...no response from company....

Advice to Management

Communication...current management treats reps as second citizen

10. A fantastic young company with lots of room to grow.

Current Employee - Marketing in Bluffdale, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing in Bluffdale, UT

I have been working at Goal Zero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young, energetic, growing market, what you create you see in the market right away, small enough that every contribution is really felt, still ground floor access.

Cons

No cons, just the challenges of having to figure out how to do things for the first time.

Advice to Management

Keep the vision.

11. Insane growth and innovative product.

I have been working at Goal Zero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Upward mobility, growing market, great co-workers.

Cons

unreasonable growth expectations, knee-jerk decision making

RSS Feed </> Embed