Godiva Chocolatier
www.godiva.com New York, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

Godiva Chocolatier Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Godiva Chocolatier – “Daily dipping”

Godiva Chocolatier President Jim Goldman

Jim Goldman

Pros:
  • "Great employee discount (40%), great if you're a student with a busy schedule"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Great co- workers (most of them)"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management tries really hard to micromanage even though they're never in the store"
    in 17 reviews
  • "The district manager advised that the manager send home employees if the store was slow"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Retail Job only college kids should take

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsDiscount on Chocolate and sales items

ConsThere is a new manager every year. No one gets promoted. Threats of writes ups are all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to fire a manager every year and maybe the store will perform better

Great product, awful management from top down.

Godiva- Key Holder (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

Pros-Customers are excellent, always excited and enthusiastic to be in the store for the experience.
    -Great employee discount: 40%
    -Relaxed job, very little physical labor. Perfect for someone who just wants to toil on their phone all day.

Cons-Management refuses to listen to sales associates about customer complaints and leave associates and key holders alone to rectify poor management
    -NEVER promote from within, they always seek an outside source for open positions so their is no career advancement opportunity
    -Inconsistent rewards leading to irate customers.
    -Outside of holidays, hours are hard to come by.
    -Received our reviews almost 2 months after they were due with no explanations.
    -I worked with some managers who would go on their lunch break only to return intoxicated from being at happy hour.
    -Held my last paycheck with no viable justification

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house and start taking the suggestions of the actual people who make your company run.

Fun place to work but low wage

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsLearning about chocolate,fondue and sales.Great co workers too
    Great for College students who live at home.

ConsLow hours, only management get bonuses, very low wage, favoritism

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun at times, mostly frustrating

Chocolatier (Current Employee)

Pros40% off discount
    Laid-back when it comes to selling to customers
    Dipping fruit is really fun
    Variety of tasks

ConsManagement is incompetent and inconsistent, and always unapologetic for mistakes they've made. Everything is approached with a 'suck it' attitude.

You're liable to get yelled at over a mistake fixable in the time it takes to reprimand you
    Hours are confusing and sometimes change at the last minute (and sometimes they don't tell you when they change your hours)

Low pay

District manager comes in and consistently tells you your store is a ****hole without telling you what he wants. Then he tells you you're doing a good job. Then he tells you you're fired.

AWFUL once a month Secret Shop program based on a points system. Despite the many tasks you have to complete behind the chocolate case (making shakes, dipping, clocking in and out to name a few), if a secret shopper comes in and you're behind it not helping a customer, it's an automatic -25 points.

Weird system when ringing up with a rewards card. 50% of the people who come in to get a free piece of chocolate also have to buy something, and the sales associate is punished if they don't.

I was seasonal with a possibility of staying, and I had to ask management three or four times, several days after my assigned end date, whether they were keeping me or not. They decided not to keep me, in favor of a quiet guy (if you're going to work at Godiva, you have to be outgoing) who was late several times, and not a very good dipper.

As far as customers go, nearly all of them are extremely entitled, demand extra samples, and sometimes take freshly dipped fruit off the drying mats and eat them, without asking or paying. Extremely frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your store manager leaves, hire a new one ASAP and don't pile everything onto the Assistant Manager in a sink-or-swim fashion.
    Stop being petty. It's a lot to ask, I know.

Don't care much about their employees, but hey, chocolate!

Key Holder (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsIt really is the best chocolate there is, you will be spoiled for the rest of your life, no other chocolate will compare. Dipping strawberries and such is fun, I'm a creative type so opening the store was my favorite because of that.

ConsIt is pricey so prepare for grouchy customers. Also people coming in constantly who only want their monthly free piece with their Customer Rewards card will drive you absolutely nuts, as it hurts your numbers when you have so many transactions and so many of them simply refuse to buy anything (not that I can blame them persay).

Apart from being promoted fairly quickly from seasonal employee to a part of management (I worked very hard) I didn't see any examples of growing within the company. In my district there was some sketchy demoting and hiring new store managers and such in an attempt to make more money for the company which failed on their part. I just wouldn't feel secure in my job as a store manager even if I was making/exceeding sales goals, from what I saw them do to my store manager.

Also, perhaps just my district but their pay is not anything impressive. I was making $7.75 as a seasonal worker and then only $8.50 as a Key Holder and it really was a lot more responsibility. I'm making $10/hour at my new job which is essentially the same position and less stress, so there's that.

Oh! And the company decreased the employee discount while I worked there from 50% to 40% which just seems wrong to me. I know it's not a big decrease but it's significant and kind of a slap in the face to those of us who are working our butts off to make goals and make the company money and keep customers happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would really help if you added a minimum purchase to those transactions where customers want their free piece, I feel like.

okay

Prosget to work with chocolate

Consmin wage pay, okay for students

Advice to Senior Managementstick to the schedule

It's a nice place to work, especially if you like predictability.

New York, NY

ProsIt's a pretty informal work experience and it's a small enough organization to make a solid contribution. The product is great and you'll almost always have access to it.

ConsThere are not a whole lot of growth opportunities and the departments in the New York office feel like cliques. The work itself is quite predictable, and a lot of tasks are repetitive with minor tweaks.

fun

Management (Current Employee)
    Naples, FL

Prossmells good, fun place to work, hard work but fun good pay. good benifits fun holidays fun merchandising

Consto much paperwork emails and constant changes in promotions daily. Stores need to be more uniform.
    to much competion from web and wholesale division

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your managers on their needs on a store to store basis, more communication with allocation and store managers

Small Store

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Novi, MI

ProsYou get Paid every Friday
    Small group of people that you work with.
    Nice employees that treat you with a lot of respect.

ConsNo one to switch shifts with
    A really small store no where to be by yourself....People always in your face

"Chocolatier"= Sales Associate

Chocolatier= Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Roseville, MN

ProsGet to try all new products that come out, great discount of 40%.

ConsManagement is incredibly uncommunicative. Complaints to HR will not be taken seriously, even when they deal with serious issues. I was a part time associate who had been there for 2.5 years and at the end of the holiday season I was not given hours for 2 months because my manager considered me to be "seasonal." He instead gave all of my hours to the people he hired no more than a month prior.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more communicative about expectations, and have more realistic goals for your associates. Know that when an associate has been working at one store for a while, that means they like their job. Do not make them start hating their job by being unappreciative of everything they've given.

Worked for Godiva Chocolatier? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Godiva Chocolatier reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Godiva Chocolatier CEO Jim Goldman. All 134 reviews posted anonymously by Godiva Chocolatier employees.