Godiva Chocolatier
www.godiva.com New York, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

Godiva Chocolatier Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Godiva Chocolatier – “Daily dipping”

Godiva Chocolatier President Jim Goldman

Jim Goldman

Pros:
  • "Great employee discount (40%), great if you're a student with a busy schedule"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Great co- workers (most of them)"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management tries really hard to micromanage even though they're never in the store"
    in 17 reviews
  • "The district manager advised that the manager send home employees if the store was slow"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

constantly working hard, holidays and off season accounts.

Proschocolate! I also liked how I was able to un my store how I saw fit.

Conscorporate office is very ridiculous and out of touch with the retail end. This is probably because the North American branch of the business is not profitable year after year so the plan is to start closing boutiques.

Great Opportunity in Retail Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGodiva treated me extremely well. Originally, I was hired for a seasonal position and was asked to stay on as a regular associate. Unfortunately, I had to move to a new city and was worried about a new job. Godiva went out of their way to transfer my employment to a closer store.( They would do the same for you) You'll find many of the store managers are extremely helpful and want you and the store to succeed. Starting pay could be better ,but it is higher than minimum wage. If you work hard and smart they will give you a raise every 6-months during the job review period.

ConsPounds and pounds of fruit are thrown out daily/weekly.

I saw a few people promoted from associate to key holder ,but I also saw extremely qualified assistant managers passed over for jobs when Godiva hired outside of the company.

The free chocolate rewards program, while successful, just tends to slow down sales during the busy seasons. It will get on your nerves, eventually.

Advice to Senior ManagementSuspend the free chocolate program on thanksgiving, black Friday, Christmas week, and Valentines day.

Update computer systems: Several sales were missed because the registers/computers constantly froze and could not run credit cards or reward cards.

Easy job to get into sales

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

Prosco-workers were great, morning or afternoon hours, always something to do, fairly easy job, I was hired on the spot when I went in to shop for a gift.

Conslow pay, no benefits for sales associates, favoritism with management, many people complain about the price of the chocolate.

Advice to Senior ManagementTaking care of your employees make for a better work environment, management takes credit for the hard work of the associates.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Godiva is going downhill - looking for all ways to save a buck...at the expense of its quality and quality of employees.

Account Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsIt was decent pay for a part-time, flexible job.

ConsThey want degreed, professional sales people to work as their account coordinators to promote their supposed quality product. But now are cutting out all costs and what they pay those employees. No annual sales meeting. Now requires a time clock and yet does not pay you for all of the time worked. Expects employees to travel 100's of miles a without compensation - stating that you are given the federal mileage amount and that should compensate you for three hours of drive time. This position will not exist for much longer because they will be unable to retain or hire new employees under these conditions.

Prior to these recent changes, management is not responsive to territory needs. Questions go unanswered. Promotional material is often not available until the second week of every month- how hard is it to get material out by the 1st of the month so employees can plan their routing? After almost a year of employment, I still do not have the correct information being sent to me each month.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou want quality employees to promote your "quality" product? Then wake up! Take care of your employees - they will be happier and more productive. Don't tell us to embrace change when you are taking money from our pockets!

Company is in trouble!

ProsThe people that you work with on a daily basis are usually great. The chocolate is excellent and the customers are usually very happy and easy to please most of the time.

ConsThere is no work-life balance. Upper management, DM's and above, could care less about the stores or employees. There is a HUGE disconnect between corporate and the stores. Store managers are asked to hire 25 people to do the job of 10 people and then give people 5 hours a week. The company is drowning. All the promos being thrown out to hopefully capture a dollar or two are just embarrassing. HR on the west coast should never be allowed to work with people again. HR is the most vile, rude and ruthless human being on the planet.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together before the company is forced to close all the stores! It's been a long time coming. I'd be VERY surprised if all stores are still around in 5 years.

Keep to the book

Godiva- Key Holder (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsChocolate, retail experience, no personal goals, team atmosphere

ConsThe big bosses don't like it when you try to shake things up with trying to increase sales. They just want cold calls and to stick to the book

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the workers do what they feel will sell when it comes to dipping. I had so much fun dipping when we could do designs, I worked in a baseball town so team colors and logos sold out and when they found out I had to stop ASAP. I understand we need to be on track but it helped in a slow economy and to take away being creative when it's your first goal in the godiva way is stupid

Great then turned to disappointment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company from what I saw was very flexible when it came to your work day or needing time off.

ConsDon't make a mistake because there are no second chances no matter what is written.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood employees deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Alright place to work

Chocolatier= Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsNot that difficult of a job

ConsA lot to remember when you first start, not a lot of hours, and the pay is awful. Starting is 8.50 an hour and a keyholder position is only 10, which is not that great of an incentive to stay with company

Advice to Senior ManagementStop giving low volume store an impossible payroll, and make more realistic sales goals, more competitive pay, stop being chocolate Nazi about samples you're just going to throw away.

Great People=Great Jobs

Godiva- Key Holder (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThis product is fantastic. It's great to sell, exciting to make, and fun to brand. The best part is the people that you work with. They are fun, hard working, and intelligent people.

ConsProcesses are not as great as they could be. The stores aren't equipped to handle the high volume of customers that you deal with. The boutique style store was infused with shakes, ice cream, and dipping. That means that you have two customers: Those who want a box and want to be coached through their choices, and those who want their product, and they want it NOW. That's difficult to balance.

Great Work Place, Friendly and Kind staff.

Chocolatier= Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Plano, TX

ProsFree Chocolate!
    Great discounts for employees
    Positive work environment
    Full Time and Part Time positions

ConsPOS systems constant malfunction
    Constantly hire managers outside of Godiva, showing less room small room for growth to management status

Worked for Godiva Chocolatier? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Godiva Chocolatier reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Godiva Chocolatier CEO Jim Goldman. All 134 reviews posted anonymously by Godiva Chocolatier employees.