Godiva Chocolatier

Updated January 25, 2015
2.7

Godiva Chocolatier President Jim Goldman
Jim Goldman

Pros
  • Great employee discount (40%), great if you're a student with a busy schedule (in 11 reviews)

• You're surrounded by Chocolate all day (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management tries really hard to micromanage even though they're never in the store (in 18 reviews)

• The district manager advised that the manager send home employees if the store was slow (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun experience, terrible management

Former Employee - Key Holder in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Laid-back environment, fun product, eating chocolate for training :), great coworkers, non-competitive sales environment, generous employee discount

Cons

Absolutely horrible regional management, low pay (I did not receive any sort of pay increase for almost 2 years), unrealistic sales goals

Higher management was extremely hesitant to authorize pay raises. I was a top salesperson at my boutique and it took almost 2 years for them to give me a raise. They made many rushed, extreme decisions that my coworkers and I had to adapt to very quickly. Communication in this company needs some serious work. I really enjoyed my time at Godiva, but only because of my amazing team...no thanks to higher management.

Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great job environment and flexible schedules

Cons

Very little opportunity to grow within the company

Provide more incentives to sales associate to boost sales... i.e- weekly contest among workers for highest sales

the easiest job ever!

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier

Pros

get to make chocolate covered strawberries and interact with guests

Cons

the shifts can be short making it hard for part time workers to get hours

Challenging Sometimes

Former Employee - Key Holder in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Houston, TX

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Discount is Great (40% off). You're surrounded by Chocolate all day. Tasting Chocolates. Great hours during Holiday Season. The Store managers are great people, it's the district mangers who are very annoying.

Cons

Working in a mall. "Free Piece" Customers. I worked at a Kiosk so we had to sample all day. Hours get cut after Holiday Season.

Listen to your employers and take their complaints more seriously. Make it hourly plus commission, you can't expect sales associates to sell big only making 8 dollars an hour.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, creative environment, great product.

Cons

Salary, too many responsibilities for amount of pay.

We should be paid more for the amount of work we do.

Be warned, the manager positions are not as advertised

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a great discount on the product, fortunate enough to like my team members, you are surrounded by chocolate, you get to taste the newest product

Cons

work life balance doesn't exist, inconsistent training, negative environment (positive development coaching is hard to come by), "mystery" shop sets stores up for failure and provides no real customer experience, communication in company is lacking, company changes mind (maybe even more than once) with in 30 min and has different directives making it hard to keep up, technology lacking, don't think the company as a whole cares about their people, but you may be fortunate to find a store manager or district manager that does that can help your personal work environment. The culture has changed so much that the consistent buying customer is not valued, but the customers just looking for free or for a great deal are?...so confusing. Everything is on sale/promotion when that was not the case years ago.

Listen to field, there once was a field advisory board, but not sure what ever happened to that program. Get back to the basics and stop being so scared of the "free piecers" Customers at one point were very willing to pay for the greatness that is Godiva, but why now when everything is on sale or free. Too many "road blocks" for the customers that are willing to pay, always read the fine print, don't end up on a "bad list". But get a free piecer in the store, and well you can get WHATEVER it is you want out of the chocolate case! UGH!
    Listed no Opinion for CEO because Jim Goldman is no longer the CEO

Assistant Manager

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier

Pros

Who doesn't love chocolate! Also, I had great associates to work with over the years.

Cons

I am not happy with the change in upper management.

Toxic Chaos and a Few Good People

Current Employee - Manager in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Reading, PA

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Brand, discounts on Chocolate for gifts, decent pay, opportunity for personal growth and learning; can navigate your own career.

Cons

No structure, lack of enforced streamlined process, senior leadership doesn't practice what they preach, ambigous roles & responsibilities, many insecure, political, and malicious people, lack of common sense, unstable. Lord of the Flies!

Lead from the front. Promote people who do right by the company, not right by themselves. Punish the offendors so the weeds don't choke out the flowers leaving you with a withered garden.

Loose and unprofessional

Former Employee - Godiva- Key Holder in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Godiva- Key Holder in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free Chocolate. Slow. can be creative

Cons

DM are ruthless and sm are rude and dont care about there employes

To try and find out what is best for there emplyes and maybe stop hiring people who just wanna screw you over. And if you promote a ASM to AS make sure there training is complete.

Alright Place for Part Time Work, but Wouldn't Recommend as a Forever Job.. Too Much Politics Involved :(

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, free truffles while working (you have to try the ones in the case to know what they're like!), simple processes. I was friends with everyone working at our store, so there were never any issues like that.

Cons

VP of our area would have his friends and family come in to spy then micromanage our work for him. Too little screening of potential candidates: two associates were fired within weeks of one another due to things that could have been prevented had there been more thorough screening.

Don't look down upon your retail associates, please; they're the ones making the sales.

Godiva Chocolatier Photos