Godiva Chocolatier

Updated December 11, 2014
2.7

Godiva Chocolatier President Jim Goldman
Jim Goldman

Pros
  • Great employee discount (40%), great if you're a student with a busy schedule (in 11 reviews)

• You're surrounded by Chocolate all day (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management tries really hard to micromanage even though they're never in the store (in 18 reviews)

• The district manager advised that the manager send home employees if the store was slow (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Assistant Manager

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier

Pros

Who doesn't love chocolate! Also, I had great associates to work with over the years.

Cons

I am not happy with the change in upper management.

Toxic Chaos and a Few Good People

Current Employee - Manager in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Reading, PA

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Brand, discounts on Chocolate for gifts, decent pay, opportunity for personal growth and learning; can navigate your own career.

Cons

No structure, lack of enforced streamlined process, senior leadership doesn't practice what they preach, ambigous roles & responsibilities, many insecure, political, and malicious people, lack of common sense, unstable. Lord of the Flies!

Lead from the front. Promote people who do right by the company, not right by themselves. Punish the offendors so the weeds don't choke out the flowers leaving you with a withered garden.

Loose and unprofessional

Former Employee - Godiva- Key Holder in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Godiva- Key Holder in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free Chocolate. Slow. can be creative

Cons

DM are ruthless and sm are rude and dont care about there employes

To try and find out what is best for there emplyes and maybe stop hiring people who just wanna screw you over. And if you promote a ASM to AS make sure there training is complete.

Alright Place for Part Time Work, but Wouldn't Recommend as a Forever Job.. Too Much Politics Involved :(

Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly staff, free truffles while working (you have to try the ones in the case to know what they're like!), simple processes. I was friends with everyone working at our store, so there were never any issues like that.

Cons

VP of our area would have his friends and family come in to spy then micromanage our work for him. Too little screening of potential candidates: two associates were fired within weeks of one another due to things that could have been prevented had there been more thorough screening.

Don't look down upon your retail associates, please; they're the ones making the sales.

They were great to their employees when Campbell owned them, but now take perks away from employees every year.

Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None... they treat the non-paying customers better

Cons

Everything.... they have continuously taken away perks from the employees without raising benefits.

Great store manager, bad corporate experience.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had an awesome store manager!
    The team was great at Godiva.
    It was so fun to work at Godiva!
    I loved dipping the strawberries, macaroons, caramel crunch bars etc etc.
    That was the best part of the job!

Cons

Corporate was terrible......our district manager acted like she ran godiva.....i will never understand why.

none really. management was great.

Great experience - who doesn't love working in a chocolate store!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company to work for....expectations for all positions are clearly defined and everyone strives to improve the customer experience. Pay is generally above the minimum average, and they do look for promoting from within.

Cons

None that stand out...retail hours aren't always easy, especially around holidays but that is a given working in that industry.

Communication is critical from the top down...as an Assistant Manager I felt sometimes like we were not kept in the loop as often as necessary. Too many 'rah-rah' conference calls with very little substance...that would be the time to really give the best information and provide opportunities for feedback.

Horrible. The company does not care about the employees

Current Employee - Key Holder in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Key Holder in New York, NY

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discount when it is not being taken away or being told that it can not be applied

Cons

Store Manager and Assistant Manager do not close or work weekends. Schedules are not done fairly and pay is not based on experience and amount of work done. Working part time and still need to work a second and third job just to make ends meet.

Make sure that the store managers are not hiring their friends makes it difficult to respect management when the bulk of the work is being done by key holders

Run away, don't look back!!

Former Employee - Godiva- Key Holder in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Godiva- Key Holder in Houston, TX

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I started in management, which was nice. the benefits ( %40 or something like that) are okay if you like overpriced, not-so-great chocolate. the employees vary widely from great to grotesque, but the bad ones quit the job because its so... wow, these pros aren't very convincing, are they?

Cons

I quickly learned I was only hired to do the store managers dirty work, or things they didn't want to do... which was basically their entire job. the District Manager, when I presented some ideas for improvement or critiques, later cornered me with my manager to "discuss" those ideas, and basically told my manager that I had said that she was "mean to me" and it was just an absolutely horrible experience.

if you actually stopped and gave a flying crap about the employees that kept your obnoxious company running, you might not have such a morbidly high turnover rate. you don't even encourage your employees to try the truffles!!!!

Great Product and Fun customers. No incentives to make sales

Current Employee - Store Manager in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing products and the ability to try the worlds greatest chocolates before anyone else. Amazing discount on product that is pretty expensive.

Cons

Pay for part timers is pathetic. Makes it nearly impossible to recruit or maintain a staff. Promotion options are non existent. There is no real challenge with the product lines.

If you want to make salaried management work above 40 hours a week, increase pay or increase sales incentives.

Godiva Chocolatier Photos