Godiva Chocolatier

Updated January 28, 2015
2.7

Godiva Chocolatier President Jim Goldman
Jim Goldman

Pros
  • Great employee discount (40%), great if you're a student with a busy schedule (in 11 reviews)

• You're surrounded by Chocolate all day (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management tries really hard to micromanage even though they're never in the store (in 18 reviews)

• The district manager advised that the manager send home employees if the store was slow (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Easy job to get into sales

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier part-time (more than a year)

Pros

co-workers were great, morning or afternoon hours, always something to do, fairly easy job, I was hired on the spot when I went in to shop for a gift.

Cons

low pay, no benefits for sales associates, favoritism with management, many people complain about the price of the chocolate.

Taking care of your employees make for a better work environment, management takes credit for the hard work of the associates.

Godiva is going downhill - looking for all ways to save a buck...at the expense of its quality and quality of employees.

Current Employee - Account Coordinator
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was decent pay for a part-time, flexible job.

Cons

They want degreed, professional sales people to work as their account coordinators to promote their supposed quality product. But now are cutting out all costs and what they pay those employees. No annual sales meeting. Now requires a time clock and yet does not pay you for all of the time worked. Expects employees to travel 100's of miles a without compensation - stating that you are given the federal mileage amount and that should compensate you for three hours of drive time. This position will not exist for much longer because they will be unable to retain or hire new employees under these conditions.

Prior to these recent changes, management is not responsive to territory needs. Questions go unanswered. Promotional material is often not available until the second week of every month- how hard is it to get material out by the 1st of the month so employees can plan their routing? After almost a year of employment, I still do not have the correct information being sent to me each month.

You want quality employees to promote your "quality" product? Then wake up! Take care of your employees - they will be happier and more productive. Don't tell us to embrace change when you are taking money from our pockets!

Company is in trouble!

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people that you work with on a daily basis are usually great. The chocolate is excellent and the customers are usually very happy and easy to please most of the time.

Cons

There is no work-life balance. Upper management, DM's and above, could care less about the stores or employees. There is a HUGE disconnect between corporate and the stores. Store managers are asked to hire 25 people to do the job of 10 people and then give people 5 hours a week. The company is drowning. All the promos being thrown out to hopefully capture a dollar or two are just embarrassing. HR on the west coast should never be allowed to work with people again. HR is the most vile, rude and ruthless human being on the planet.

Get it together before the company is forced to close all the stores! It's been a long time coming. I'd be VERY surprised if all stores are still around in 5 years.

Keep to the book

Former Employee - Godiva- Key Holder in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Godiva- Key Holder in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Chocolate, retail experience, no personal goals, team atmosphere

Cons

The big bosses don't like it when you try to shake things up with trying to increase sales. They just want cold calls and to stick to the book

Let the workers do what they feel will sell when it comes to dipping. I had so much fun dipping when we could do designs, I worked in a baseball town so team colors and logos sold out and when they found out I had to stop ASAP. I understand we need to be on track but it helped in a slow economy and to take away being creative when it's your first goal in the godiva way is stupid

Great then turned to disappointment

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company from what I saw was very flexible when it came to your work day or needing time off.

Cons

Don't make a mistake because there are no second chances no matter what is written.

Good employees deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Great Work Place, Friendly and Kind staff.

Former Employee - Chocolatier= Sales Associate in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Chocolatier= Sales Associate in Plano, TX

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier part-time

Pros

Free Chocolate!
    Great discounts for employees
    Positive work environment
    Full Time and Part Time positions

Cons

POS systems constant malfunction
    Constantly hire managers outside of Godiva, showing less room small room for growth to management status

Alright place to work

Current Employee - Chocolatier= Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Chocolatier= Sales Associate

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not that difficult of a job

Cons

A lot to remember when you first start, not a lot of hours, and the pay is awful. Starting is 8.50 an hour and a keyholder position is only 10, which is not that great of an incentive to stay with company

Stop giving low volume store an impossible payroll, and make more realistic sales goals, more competitive pay, stop being chocolate Nazi about samples you're just going to throw away.

Excellent

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff customers helping hands

Cons

Irresponsibility tend to leave newbies unattended

Hire more

Great People=Great Jobs

Current Employee - Godiva- Key Holder in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Godiva- Key Holder in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier part-time (more than a year)

Pros

This product is fantastic. It's great to sell, exciting to make, and fun to brand. The best part is the people that you work with. They are fun, hard working, and intelligent people.

Cons

Processes are not as great as they could be. The stores aren't equipped to handle the high volume of customers that you deal with. The boutique style store was infused with shakes, ice cream, and dipping. That means that you have two customers: Those who want a box and want to be coached through their choices, and those who want their product, and they want it NOW. That's difficult to balance.

Godiva is a great company to work for if you like flexibility and a tight group of coworkers.

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier

Pros

They understand my demanding schedule and we work to accommodate each other.

Cons

There's very little structure at Godiva.

Some things need structure and others don't. Try to find that balance.

Godiva Chocolatier Photos