Goettsch Partners

3.7

CEO

Big Firm Quality and Projects - Small Firm Structure

I have been working at Goettsch Partners full-time

Pros

One of the best reasons to work at GP is the quality of work and staff. They continually get and produce noteworthy building in the US and abroad. The expertise and mentoring make it a good place to learn the craft of architecture.

The firm provides some of the best compensation, benefits and bonus in the field.

Cons

While the work is interesting and the motivation high, just like most world-class firms, the workload and hours can be considerable. At least they are not as strict about coming in late after working a long evening.

The mood is very serious and office culture is professional. Just like any office, there are social and non-social people. The firm realizes there is an imbalance and seems to be working to create more opportunities for social connection, with outings, design review meetings and even a weekly happy hour on Fridays to lighten the mood and encourage interaction outside project work.

Continue the quality and successful management, but continue to encourage social interaction and growth among the staff. It is also important for senior level staff, meaning Partners and Principals, to make an effort to participate and interact informally with the staff. This will set the tone more than anything,

Amazing work, depressing culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Goettsch Partners full-time

Pros

The firm wins incredible projects and the work quality is good. Design principals and partners are heavily involved in projects. Clients are very loyal. This is a good place to get your feet wet and become involved in some large high profile projects. Health benefits are good.

Cons

Displaying personality is frowned upon. The culture is cold and stiff and the office is all about the work. Leave your stories about outside activities, family and kids back at home because no one cares. They just want you to produce. This culture starts from the top.

Lighten up a little. You hired humans, not machines.

Great compensation, poor culture

Current Employee - Intern Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Goettsch Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The compensation is absolutely great I think this is one of the better paying architecture firms in Chicago. Also, the management is great at listening to the younger talents goals for their career and helping them sculpt a career path that fits their strengths. Finally, the work environment itself is beautiful. I don't think I will work in another office with a more beautiful interior!

Cons

The work-life balance is a bit rough if you are within your first five years of your career. The firm is doing a lot of competitions internationally which means a large volume of work needs to be generated in a short amount of time. I found it difficult to have things going on outside of the office. Also, the culture I would give a 5/10. There is almost no sense of culture or connectivity between employees that isn't structured around the work. That said, the firm realizes this is going on and has lost talent because of it. I feel they are beginning to make an effort to change the culture.

I think upper management sets the tone for a firm. If you are carefree and enjoying yourself it makes other feel like that is acceptable there. If not it can be very uncomfortable for employees to truly be themselves.

good place nice work environment

I have been working at Goettsch Partners

Pros

good place nice work environment

Cons

work hard but treated well

Goettsch Partners Photos