Gogo Reviews

Growing company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL

I worked at Gogo as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Innovative and growing company. Flexible and friendly.

Cons

The pains that come with growth in staffing, communication and resources.

Keep communicating and listening to employees

Caught in the Middle of Growing Pains

I have been working at Gogo

Pros

The company is fantastic in terms of its products and services. The people are fantastic and there is a certain energy that comes from being in a creative environment. A lot is expected of you but if you can deal with fast paced then it's the perfect place to be.

Cons

The company just rolled out its new values (should have had that a long time ago) and they are actually kind of lame. They are things that any person who works in any company should be doing. There are not many benefits either. I mean the standard ones but not too many perks or other benefits. Benefits are done on paper. Really?!? A technology company and you don't have working technology. Internal processes like training, development, career progression, role clarity are almost non- existent. Lot's of talk but at the end of the day, actions don't show.

Lead by example. Don't hold employees accountable for thing you are not accountable to. Invest in training and development. Not just for a few but for everyone. Don't tell people in their interviews that this is the best company to work for and talk about all the opportunities that just wont happen. It's a waste of peoples time who come to Gogo thinking it's a step up and after a while realizing in some regards it's a step back.

Major Opportunity Squandered by Short Sighted People Resting on Laurels

I have been working at Gogo full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of the people who work at Gogo are very smart and good at what they do. You'll learn a lot about what it means to work in a space where there are real constraints to work with. You'll also learn a lot about how the internet and cellular networks really function, which is cool. If the organization could get a huge breath of fresh air, innovation would thrive throughout the business.

Cons

Sadly, that level of innovation is not something the company is set up for. The culture is that of a seriously dysfunctional family. Leaders don't know how to lead, people take constructive criticism personally, and the average emotional intelligence is that of a ten year old child.

Logic, reason and facts are rarely used to make decisions -- instead it's about what the person with the biggest title in the room wants.

The company is a startup when that serves management -- such as when it's time to promote good people -- and a big company when it needs to say that, such as when it needs to represent itself as having rigorous technical requirements in place.

Many teams have members who work upwards of 70 hours a week. If you're good at what you do, you will be piled onto, spending all of your days in meetings and none of your time producing actual work, making work life balance a joke.

Train your people to be actual leaders (hire people who have the capability to) and promote and train from within. Look more critically at why things are the way they are, instead of just accepting tacit explanations. Clean out the parts of the organization where people are unwilling to admit that what's out there today needs to change.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cutting edge accomplishments in slow-paced environment.

I worked at Gogo as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Gogo pays well, is wonderfully flexible, and the things you get to work on are deeply interesting. They are thisclose to being a top-five place to work in their class; it would take just a small cultural and philosophical shift. If that shift comes, flood the place with resumes.

Cons

The company is bogged down badly by an excess of stakeholders, a lack of role clarity, and odd internal priorities. The value is in process over product, and the processes themselves are broken. I root for Gogo to get it right.

Streamline product approval processes by aggressively clarifying roles and approval authority at all levels.

A great place to work if you like a fast paced, constantly changing, fast growth company

I have been working at Gogo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a company, we get to do things no company has ever done before. Its pretty cool to be a part of. There are plenty of opportunities to grow a career if you are willing to work hard and make your own way.

Cons

Work/life balance can get tricky as the workload can be very heavy.
    The office is in Itasca (moving downtown in 2015!!)
    The company is growing very quickly (pro) and sometimes it takes a bit for the infrastructure to catch up (con)
    Middle management needs to improve their skills

Invest heavily in current employees to develop them
    Work to make sure the company vision is clear

Good Senior Leadership; Poor Mid-level Leadership

I worked at Gogo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good senior leadership; Good vision
    Good pay; good benefits

Cons

Poor Middle management especially in IT Development; lack of ownership and accountability
    Projects are constantly late and unpredictable
    Long hours
    Very poor career growth opportunities in IT

Get better leaders at mid-level management or at the least train existing ones to be better managers and better communicators

Technology

Current Employee - Technical  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technical in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gogo full-time

Pros

Company is ok to work for, good working atmosphere, talented people

Cons

Work too many hours, low bonus, low pay

Trainning

Dynamic and challenging

Current Employee - Senior Manager-Sales Operations  in  Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager-Sales Operations in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Gogo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Gogo is the industry leader for inflight connectivity. The atmosphere is dynamic and interesting, this is driven by our evolving technology offerings. I have found my treatment here to be fair and the salary very good when compared to similiar companies. I'm a manager, but find that I have ready access to our leadership. Our CEO is very approachable and seems to be able to easily connect to the employees.

Cons

Gogo (Commercial) is still an immature comapany with a cutural that is still being developed. Some managers have been placed in positions that do not play to their strengths and this can cause some discourse. Our leadership has begun to recognize this and taken steps to change that.

Better recognition of Gogo's "bench strength", especially on the aircraft side.

In general, a good company to work for if you're willing to stay at the same level for a long time.

I have been working at Gogo

Pros

Benefits, co-workers and annual bonus.

Cons

Little to no upward mobility (I.e. forget about career advancement)
    Senior Level Management hired externally

Look for talented people from within your own ranks and reward them appropriately.

Don't waste your time, just gogo on out of there.

Former Employee - PC Technician  in  Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - PC Technician in Itasca, IL

I worked at Gogo as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Clean work environment, good hours, some employees are friendly although employees associate with each other in cliques.

Cons

Average to below average compensation. Heavy workload. Department runs with a short staff. Not a good return on investment for the employee. Can find better work load / pay balance elsewhere.

Don't BS people telling them they are going to be around longer than the agreed contract length, then hire separate permanent employees 2 weeks later for the same department. Its very two faced backstabbery. It sucked I took a pay cut to come work for you, but I am glad to be gone and have found a better return on investment of my work hours- elsewhere.

Worked for Gogo? Contribute to the Community!