Gogo

Michael J. Small

Recto

Former Employee - CAD Designer in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - CAD Designer in Itasca, IL

I worked at Gogo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When I started at 2008 its a new Company and start to developing the work. And it was very interesting to me and challenging work.

Cons

They have a good benefits and very generous on PTO. They give half days a day before the holidays and holiday on
    presidetial day (February).

They give to much half day off and if Friday is after the holiday.

Sad place, bad morale.

I have been working at Gogo

Pros

Cannot think of any. No work life balance.

Cons

Operations Team's Managers and Directors are incompetent, unprofessional and inexperienced. Only know the buzz words, cannot execute on anything.
    Working for this company is the waste of my time and talent. Low compensation.

Good people, growing company, room for change

Former Employee - Intern in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Itasca, IL

I worked at Gogo as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I worked as an intern during the summer of 2013 (total of 6 months). There were about a dozen of us in different departments. The company was very welcoming. All of my fellow interns seemed to share similar experiences: good people, welcoming, room for growth.

The HR department was very proactive. They regularly held informational meetings and also hosted 2 company events for all the interns at a Golf Driving Range. I thought that was a nice gesture.

The company extended the offer of full-time employment after graduation to all of us.

Cons

The work load was random. Sometimes I would have a consistency of projects and tasks, other times I was unoccupied. Too keep from sitting idle I would periodically ask my managers for work and most of the time they would allow me join their projects.

The company was just going public, so there was a lot of shifting of positions and "chains of command". It made it difficult to ascertain the order of things.

Great. Startup like work.

Current Employee - IT Manager Software in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - IT Manager Software in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Gogo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exiting area to work.
    Great team.

Cons

At times too much work

Good

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Gogo

Pros

A good team to work with, work and have fun

Cons

The human resource seems not so great.

High energy environment, but not enough resources

I worked at Gogo

Pros

Interesting industry, product, entrepreneurial atmosphere

Cons

Incredibly fast-paced and stressful environment. No respect for work-life balance.

Work life balance is not bad, lacks focus

I have been working at Gogo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you have a family, you can take time off to take care of familial duties. I don't feel like I'm punching a clock or being watched. Just get your work done. We're adults.

Cons

There isn't a well thought out strategy. People make excuses for it, "we working a rapidly changing industry", but that's not it. I've worked at large companies in high tech with serious competitors and change. The customers are in aviation...the FAA is involved...it's not moving that fast. It feel like it's one or two people making all decisions and those two people don't cooridnate, think the same always. So see-saw, back and forth, here there. ADD.

Focus. Delegate. Hire people from tech companies who have done some of these things before. Outside of the satcom and network items, it's not rocket science.

Major Opportunity Squandered by Short Sighted People Resting on Laurels

I have been working at Gogo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of the people who work at Gogo are very smart and good at what they do. You'll learn a lot about what it means to work in a space where there are real constraints to work with. You'll also learn a lot about how the internet and cellular networks really function, which is cool. If the organization could get a huge breath of fresh air, innovation would thrive throughout the business.

Cons

Sadly, that level of innovation is not something the company is set up for. The culture is that of a seriously dysfunctional family. Leaders don't know how to lead, people take constructive criticism personally, and the average emotional intelligence is that of a ten year old child.

Logic, reason and facts are rarely used to make decisions -- instead it's about what the person with the biggest title in the room wants.

The company is a startup when that serves management -- such as when it's time to promote good people -- and a big company when it needs to say that, such as when it needs to represent itself as having rigorous technical requirements in place.

Many teams have members who work upwards of 70 hours a week. If you're good at what you do, you will be piled onto, spending all of your days in meetings and none of your time producing actual work, making work life balance a joke.

Train your people to be actual leaders (hire people who have the capability to) and promote and train from within. Look more critically at why things are the way they are, instead of just accepting tacit explanations. Clean out the parts of the organization where people are unwilling to admit that what's out there today needs to change.

Growing company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL

I worked at Gogo as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Innovative and growing company. Flexible and friendly.

Cons

The pains that come with growth in staffing, communication and resources.

Keep communicating and listening to employees

Caught in the Middle of Growing Pains

I have been working at Gogo

Pros

The company is fantastic in terms of its products and services. The people are fantastic and there is a certain energy that comes from being in a creative environment. A lot is expected of you but if you can deal with fast paced then it's the perfect place to be.

Cons

The company just rolled out its new values (should have had that a long time ago) and they are actually kind of lame. They are things that any person who works in any company should be doing. There are not many benefits either. I mean the standard ones but not too many perks or other benefits. Benefits are done on paper. Really?!? A technology company and you don't have working technology. Internal processes like training, development, career progression, role clarity are almost non- existent. Lot's of talk but at the end of the day, actions don't show.

Lead by example. Don't hold employees accountable for thing you are not accountable to. Invest in training and development. Not just for a few but for everyone. Don't tell people in their interviews that this is the best company to work for and talk about all the opportunities that just wont happen. It's a waste of peoples time who come to Gogo thinking it's a step up and after a while realizing in some regards it's a step back.

Gogo Photos