Gold Spur Trucking

2.6

Andrew McClellan

Driver

Current Employee - Driver in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Gold Spur Trucking full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I came from working an hourly job out in the field and I hated the fact that I make the same, if not less than the people that don't put in as much work as I did. I like the pay structure here because it's performance-based, I'm a very hardworking person, and I like the fact that the harder I work, the bigger my paycheck gets, and get more respect from my supervisor and dispatch. Some of my co-workers complain about the pay, but when I see them working on location, I'm not surprised why they don't make so much...they don't move with a purpose (something I learned from my military career). I work with an awesome supervisor that stays on top of his game.

Cons

Health Insurance is very expensive, which is why I'm considering getting my own elsewhere. I came from paying $60 monthly from my previous employer to cover a family of 3, to $400+/monthly. Dispatch is generally good, but there are times when you think about some of the decisions they make is just plain stupid and doesn't make any sense. Some of the equipment (few) need to be removed from the fleet, some of the trucks have so much maintenance issues, it's down for maintenance almost on a daily basis, one of our trucks at the yard we use is approaching 900,000 miles running in the oil patch, which is pretty substandard. Wait time at the unload station is just ridiculous sometimes, and the whole hourly pay after 1 hour of every load just kills you...every time. Because it's not your fault that you're waiting in line (mechanical issues with the oil company's unload units), the company gets a full hour from you, every load, that needs to change...pay after 30 minutes of waiting would be a little better or 1 hour of waiting from the whole shift.

Drivers are the backbone of your company. A better incentive to motivate the guys is to offer safety/performance bonuses either quarterly/annually, a small percentage or just a little cash reward/gift card bonus would do...yes, it costs money, but you know that it's an investment, you spend money to make money, you will see how much production gets better and how much safer the drivers will become if you offered incentives like that, if not, discontinue, at least give it a trial and see how things play out...it's worth a shot! Negotiate a better health insurance deal than what we got, we're not the best paying in our industry, but at least be competitive with the benefits package, most of our guys would value that because most have families. Other than that, I am very grateful to be part of a good team here at my yard. Thanks for everything Gold Spur!

Great place to work. Not sure what all the negativity is all about.

I have been working at Gold Spur Trucking full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to start your crude experience. They have an excellent training program. They treat you like family and they take care of there drivers.

Cons

This company is growing leaps and bounds. So we have a few growing pains. You may be asked to help out in other areas.

Dont believe a word they tell you.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Gold Spur Trucking full-time

Pros

I cant find any pros to put here. This company needs to change

Cons

I was lied too about the pay and a few other things. When I got here and got done with my paperwork is when the truth came out. Then they started talking about INTEGRITY. This company has none. Dont buy what they're promising.

Gold Spur Trucking I dont understand all the bad

Current Employee - Trucker
    Current Employee - Trucker

I have been working at Gold Spur Trucking full-time (more than an year)

Pros

i have worked for them for a couple years. i work hard, do my job, and i have no problems. the few i do run into they correct as soon i bring it to their attention. they did recently switch us to mileage but all that did was weed out the guys that couldnt even haul 2 loads in a day. I can easily get 3-4 and now i make way more money doing that. im close to 380 a day. the hourly thing just puts everyone on a level playing field so the good guys carry the weight the for the lazy guys. the change to mileage has weeded out all the bad drivers. now i get to work with the ones that now how to get the job done. its a great place to work. i dont need much management so i have no problems. tell me where im loading and unloading and let me do my job. thats the kinda job i like.

Cons

sometimes everything doesnt always go smooth but that is life in general. no need to get all worked up every time something doesnt go as expected. overall the good outweighs the bad.

You have made some great improvements since ive been here. keep making them.

No problems here! Think maybe some people are a little sour!

Current Employee - HazMat Driver in Kingsbury, TX
    Current Employee - HazMat Driver in Kingsbury, TX

I have been working at Gold Spur Trucking full-time

Pros

-Great pay, more than $300 a day, good trucks, good drivers
    -Paid Time off
    -Long term contracts, been working the same leases for years

Cons

-None that are worth squawking about, the guys that quit are the guys that can't make any money because they don't get squat done. I can make my money for the day with my eyes closed.

Keep it up!! Thank you for the paid time off.

This place is the worst company I ever worked for.

Former Employee - Former Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Former Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Gold Spur Trucking full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You will receive a check. It will not have anything you were promised on it but you can pay your light bill.

Cons

This company is going under and has no stability not dose it have advancement. You will dedicate time away from your family and loved ones to be treated with disrespect and low pay. They have no capital and there way of business it to hire new drivers instead of keeping there guys who have bent over backwards for them.
      The dispatch office is the most craziest part of this company. It's so disrespectful and I have seen them the upper management Lysol to the dispatchers like they are trash. One dispatch asked me for pot. They are the one guiding the trucks everywhere. I have never seen so much chaos and confusion. Worst company and you will leave feeling like you wasted your life.

They don't listen so it doesn't matter. It is absolutely a waste if time to give them any advice.

It was good then pow in the toilet it went

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Universal City, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Universal City, TX

I have been working at Gold Spur Trucking full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the people are very good and if your willing to have no home life and work illegal as he'll you might be able to make the bills but nothing more

Cons

drivers are not treated with the respect they deserve try not trying to kill your drivers we know we're just tools to you but while the management got pay increases and supervisors got to still be pay well and get even more lazy and spiteful the drivers were left out to dry when things were good and drivers got to comfortable and felt stable and even proud of the company and the stride they made they waited for everyone to finally feel secure and start making plans with their lives then BOOM the drivers were sent an email telling them there pay went By the hour to mileage and pay and now one day trying to make a living for there families someone will die because of how they are paying the drivers now

Try being professional instead of child like quit telling lies and go back to the way things were

Horrible company to work for!

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

I have been working at Gold Spur Trucking full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can't think of any pros, wait, some guys there are good ppl.

Cons

You do have to chase down your money. I went to Utah, icy road conditions, treacherous driving conditions.

They forgot to pay me for it.

Now, I am trying to chase my money down..called HR, left 3 messages. No one has called me back.

I am going to quit over this.

May have to go to Labor Board, now.

Treat your employees with respect.

Conveying

Current Employee - Billing Clerk
    Current Employee - Billing Clerk

I have been working at Gold Spur Trucking full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have found no Pro's

Cons

No stability or accountability for anything going on. Very unorganized and ran company.

Better Than Most

Current Employee - Driver in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Gold Spur Trucking full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm not sure why people feel that they are getting taken advantage of by Gold Spur. I have never had an issue with my paycheck once in 2.5 years of employment. It's been my observation that those who have had that issue are often at fault themselves for not following the proper procedures. Management of the company actually goes above and beyond to try and get know know and help it's employees. I have personally been involved in fund raising efforts when a family has had an unfortunate accident or misfortune where they are unable to work. The owners of the company have actually matched or doubled employee contributions. Last year one of our drivers was involved in an accident that kept him out of work for the whole month of December and the owners gave him a whole paycheck after fund raising efforts from employees yielded less than $500. This driver was able to pay his bills and provide his family with Christmas. The Operations Manager has an open door policy and often greets and talks to drivers at the yard.

Cons

Oilfield work. The workload always goes up and down. If you aren't prepared for that you shouldn't be in the oilfield.

Keep moving forward. You're doing a great job.