Gold Star Mortgage Reviews

Updated March 19, 2015
41 reviews filtered by
3.8
Daniel Milstein

1. I love working at Gold Star Mortgage as a loan officer.

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Gold Star Mortgage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Our CEO and President are top notch individuals. They have an open door policy and truly are willing and available to help when I need assistance.

Cons

The health insurance could be better.

2. Worst place to work for!!!

I worked at Gold Star Mortgage

Pros

Theres nothing postive that i can say about working there.

Cons

Lack of training for emplpyees, company has no direction. Do not work there.

It really doesnt matter, management dont care about their employees.

3. What do you want it to be?

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Gold Star Mortgage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Being a loan officer allows you to either eat Chicken or the Feathers. How hard are you willing to work? Gold Star has the infrastructure that allows loan officers to succeed. The company enjoys an excellent image in the Realestate community. If you don't suck, you will like it here. If you do suck, and you don't want to suck anymore. Gold Stars CEO will work with you to make you the best you can be.

Cons

It's the mortgage business. Over 20 years and several companies, the same end of month BS doesn't go away. At Gold Star, we at least smile about it and you don't feel like its you v. the entire staff.

The only thing I would say I would be dissatisfied with is the Cost of the Health Insurance. But come to think about it , what Mortgage company does have good insurance anymore?

You do a great job! Implement more systems to override emotion.

5. Great Experience

Former Employee - Licensed Mortgage Loan Officer/Retail Mortgage Sales in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at Gold Star Mortgage full-time (less than a year)

Pros

In house underwriting and processing very good and fast. Underwriter would call you once your file was reviewed and received Approval.

Cons

Not there long enough to find any

Growing Company Loaded with Raw Talent

Current Employee - Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Gold Star Mortgage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a 17 year veteran of the mortgage industry that has been quite satisfied working for Gold Star 5+ years, i find myself a bit disappointed reading some of the previous reviews here. Like many mortgage companies we have recently experienced a complete market shift that required right sizing and substantial staffing changes. I do understand why folks who have been displaced and reassigned to other positions multiple times would be upset. Unfortunately those who are newer to the business are not accustomed the volatility and pressure associated with our industry. It's certainly not for everyone.

What this company has is a diverse group of top producing salespeople and a group of highly experienced individuals who have been all-stars at large financial institutions throughout leadership and operations. Coincidentally all of leadership has recent origination experience which in my eyes is a huge plus.

Another big advantage is that employees can take comfort in a CEO that has always been able to forecast accurately long term when so many competitors were wrong and closed the doors.

The icing on the cake is really the technology. The CEO is not afraid to support visionary thinking and provide a substantial budget when it comes to bettering the employee and borrower experience through cutting edge technology.

Cons

In the past the company was probably somewhat guilty of simply relying on raw talent when things were very busy. In hindsight the company probably could have been a little more proactive about tightening up the infrastructure which in the last 6 months has been the primary focus. That said any company expanding at this rate has dealt with some growing pains.

Stay the course, learn from the past, continue a very intimate dialogue with the employees.

7. Don't believe all the negative. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Underwriting in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Underwriting in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Gold Star Mortgage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, easy access to management, great relationship with co-workers, fair salary, If you are motivated you get a front row seat and a voice in a growing company.

Cons

Health insurance is a work in progress but they offer access to brokers that make it more affordable.

Continue to find more ways to add to benefits package within reason for company bottom line. suggestion would be adding the option to buy additional time off. a tax free way for employees to pay themselves for an extra week vacation if business needs allow for it and has minimal strain on company budget.

8. Do not work here.

I worked at Gold Star Mortgage

Pros

Not many pros I can think of. Maybe flexible hours.

Cons

Management only cares about putting money in their pocket, not about their employees.

9. Positive experience, great environment

I have been working at Gold Star Mortgage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, family friendly, flexible hours. Sales is always challenging but money is made when you put in the time and effort. Keeping a positive attitude goes a long way in showing senior management you are here for the long haul. Positive, hard working, and intelligent employees are rewarded by being the first choice when promotions are available.

Cons

Limited and expensive options for health insurance. Mortgage Industry changes quickly which can be nerve-wrecking, but if you are doing your job right and working hard, you will have job security.

Stay positive to keep other employees positive, communicate openly with all.

10. Amazing Coworkers with a true passion for their work

Current Employee - Operations in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Operations in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Gold Star Mortgage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Gold Star provides a flexible shedule, a committed staff of core employees and a dynamic work environment. 99% of all promotions occur from wihtin the company.

My coworkers are some of the hardest working and motivated people that I have worked with.

Cons

Things can get pretty hectic with some late nights when the busy home buying season starts.

Contiune to be vigilant in identifying and retaining exceptional employees

11. Very excited about Gold Star's continued success!!

Current Employee - Loan Originator in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Loan Originator in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Gold Star Mortgage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Gold Star is always finding ways to improve all processes across the board to support their Sales Team and enable us to provide great service. Great in-house Underwriting and Processing departments. Very forward looking company in terms of technology, products and gauging what our customers need and desire in an ever changing market.

Cons

Any criticisms I have are too minor to be worth mentioning, and are typically short lived and addressed before they bloom into something serious.

I love where we're headed! Keep up the good work!

Gold Star Mortgage Photos