Gold Star Mortgage Reviews

3.5
Daniel Milstein

Gold Star is Gold!

I have been working at Gold Star Mortgage

Pros

Laid back environment, they don't micro-manage, and working hard does not go unnoticed. We are constantly being told that we are appreciated, and that does not happen at many companies, especially large, and corporate. Flexible schedules if things come up, since they value family and your own personal well-being more than the job.
    Accrual for vacation starts right when you start, and you only have to wait 90 days to start using it, instead of a year, like most places. They also just changed their policy so you don't need to be full-time for a year before getting holidays paid off.

Cons

I wish they had a matching 401k, and even though their benefits are slightly better than before, it's still cheaper for me to pay for health insurance personally.

Advice to Management

I have none. For me personally, there's not much I would change.

Successful growth company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Gold Star Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is continuously growing and motives employees to reach their full potential in this industry. The mortgage industry is on an incline and Gold Star is moving with it. I have been here for a few months now and I enjoy the fast pace, environment that is a hard-workers dream.

Cons

There are always growing pains with workload and staffing, but management is aware are taking the appropriate actions to start planning for the future growth ahead.

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard-work, which will definitely pay off for everyone who is a part of this growing organization. Change is good and I can see that management is open to doing what it takes to develop talent from within and gain additional talent externally when it is warranted.

Good people. Good company.

Former Employee - Office Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Gold Star Mortgage

Pros

Good company. I worked at Gold Star for over 7 years. Good people who care. Would not say anything bad about company. Was just time for me to make a change. Enjoyed company and management.

Cons

Mortgage industry is a grind. We all have to do it.

Advice to Management

Keep up good work!

Jun 30, 2015Human Resources Generalist

As a member of the Senior Leadership team, I personally want to thank you for sharing your opinion of the company. I agree - good people do work here at Gold Star and we appreciate everything that ... More

5. DONT BELIEVE ALL THE NEGATIVE FROM PREVIOUS EMPLOYEES

Current Employee - FHA and Conventional Underwriter in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - FHA and Conventional Underwriter in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Gold Star Mortgage full-time

Pros

great staff, great work environment, pay is fair and improving yearly. very easy to go to work everyday even when things are stressful and busy you have the support of management. .

Cons

very few but as we have continued to grow we have lost some sales staff that had trouble adapting to the correct ways of doing business and they try and sabotage the positive vibes that are going on

Advice to Management

keep the ship moving in the right direction and the sky is the limit.

Owner is trying to fire sell this company, but no one will buy it

Former Employee - Recruiter in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Gold Star Mortgage

Pros

There are some good people there, i will miss them

Cons

All you have to do is look at the social media pages of the owner. He is a Classless Egotist solely looking to line his pockets. This blatant disregard for his employees spreads through out the "leadership" there.

Advice to Management

I wont waste my breath. They know everything

7. The bunghole of the mortgage universe

Former Employee - Operations in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Operations in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Gold Star Mortgage (More than 3 years)

Pros

There weren't many pros to working for the company. Maybe a few of the other employees were decent.

Cons

Everything was terrible about this place. No benefits, a huge empty building, bad pay, constant propaganda from management about how well they are doing, lack of management skills, fumbling to keep up with changing regulations, lack of training, no accountability, and zero respect for their employees.

Advice to Management

CEO needs to focus on running his company. Stop lying to the public and your employees about the company. Stop flashing your money around in front of your peasants who can't afford to feed their families. Get some management. Stop putting software stops in lieu of training sales to do their jobs right. Or, do the responsible thing and shut it down for good.

A sinking ship

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Gold Star Mortgage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

none - all positive reviews on Glass Door are forced positive reviews written by current employees, I know this because we were "asked" to place positive reviews multiple times while I was employed here, looking back there is not one positive thing I can say about Gold Star besides for some of my colleagues, all of which deserve a better atmosphere and should leave

Cons

Management who honestly believe they are heading a respectable, thriving company, they sell each other their own delusions and do not pay attention to their workforce morale, or any of the other pressing issues they are facing. There is no support, no benefits to speak of, no encouragement, and no investment in the future. Very short sighted decisions made on a daily basis. This company has the worst reputation with real estate professionals locally.....I would be surprised if they made it into 2016

Advice to Management

Scrap it, there is no one at the company in a leadership role who is realistic, or has any ability to drive this company out of the hole it is in

Jun 30, 2015Human Resources Generalist

As a member of the Senior Leadership team, I personally want to thank you for sharing your opinion of the company. At Gold Star we take employee feedback seriously and are working hard to foster a ... More

Senior Loan Processor

I have been working at Gold Star Mortgage

Pros

It's a job and you get paid, not well, but it is a paycheck.

Cons

Employees are treated with disrespect. New Senior Managers do not know what they are doing and continue to hide behind past credentials. There is no sense of worth.

Advice to Management

Listen to what the employees say about the managers. They are not just blowing off steam and it reflects in the service provided to customers.

Jun 30, 2015Human Resources Generalist

As a member of the Senior Leadership team, I personally want to thank you for sharing your opinion of the company. We regret that you had an unpleasant experience, though we encourage all employees ... More

2 claps my &^S

Former Employee - Sales in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Gold Star Mortgage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

some great people work here, but they should leave too.

Cons

The upper management is a joke. I never had any respect for them. Everyday was a struggle to go into the office. Everyone I know there is looking for another job or just left.

Advice to Management

reboot the whole system.

Jun 30, 2015Human Resources Generalist

As a member of the Senior Leadership team, I personally want to thank you for sharing your opinion of the company. I agree there are great people that work here and I want to ensure that they have a ... More

Working hard to make things even better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Gold Star Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dynamic, exciting organization working hard to improve the customer experience, as well as the internal culture.

Cons

No real cons; you just have to respect where they are in the process. This organization has grown exponentially over the past 15 years weathering storms no less disruptive than one of the biggest financial meltdowns in history. They are taking steps to identify areas for improvement and then making it happen.

Advice to Management

You're headed in the right direction. Keep your head up, your ears open, and keep moving forward!

RSS Feed </> Embed