Gold Star Mortgage
www.goldstarfinancial.com Ann Arbor, MI 500 to 999 Employees

Gold Star Mortgage Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Daniel Milstein

Very excited about Gold Star's continued success!!

Loan Originator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gold Star Mortgage full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGold Star is always finding ways to improve all processes across the board to support their Sales Team and enable us to provide great service. Great in-house Underwriting and Processing departments. Very forward looking company in terms of technology, products and gauging what our customers need and desire in an ever changing market.

ConsAny criticisms I have are too minor to be worth mentioning, and are typically short lived and addressed before they bloom into something serious.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love where we're headed! Keep up the good work!

Do not work here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Gold Star Mortgage

ProsNot many pros I can think of. Maybe flexible hours.

ConsManagement only cares about putting money in their pocket, not about their employees.

Amazing Coworkers with a true passion for their work

Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gold Star Mortgage full-time for more than a year

ProsGold Star provides a flexible shedule, a committed staff of core employees and a dynamic work environment. 99% of all promotions occur from wihtin the company.

My coworkers are some of the hardest working and motivated people that I have worked with.

ConsThings can get pretty hectic with some late nights when the busy home buying season starts.

Advice to Senior ManagementContiune to be vigilant in identifying and retaining exceptional employees

Positive experience, great environment

I have been working at Gold Star Mortgage full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat atmosphere, family friendly, flexible hours. Sales is always challenging but money is made when you put in the time and effort. Keeping a positive attitude goes a long way in showing senior management you are here for the long haul. Positive, hard working, and intelligent employees are rewarded by being the first choice when promotions are available.

ConsLimited and expensive options for health insurance. Mortgage Industry changes quickly which can be nerve-wrecking, but if you are doing your job right and working hard, you will have job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay positive to keep other employees positive, communicate openly with all.

Great Company & Leadership

I have been working at Gold Star Mortgage full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you are willing to work hard and learn from the best this is the best company. Unlimited Income potential as long as you follow CEO's sales model

ConsI really don't have any complaints other than maybe more social activities outside the office for team building purposes

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of few negative people and concentrate of winners.

Drama and negativity

Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gold Star Mortgage full-time for more than a year

ProsVery few if any. Building is heated?

ConsNo loyalty to their employees. We just fired a group of people before the holidays. I wonder how many presents got returned. No one wants to work here anymore. We are either waiting to get fired or busy working on our resumes to get a better job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy manager is a drama queen, gossiper, and petty. If I gave any advice I would be burned for speaking up. She knows everything and is never wrong.

If you value your career and sanity, seek to work somewhere else.

Loan Officer (Former Employee)

I worked at Gold Star Mortgage full-time for more than a year

ProsA company is only as good as the individuals who are employed there, unfortunately every single person worth anything has either quit, been unceremoniously fired or been phased out through a gradual compensation change. I can't think of any current pros to working for Gold Star.

ConsIf you gave management the task of wrecking the company in 12 calendar months last December, they would have had a banner year. It would be impossible to list the amount of cons into the given space so let me just get to a few: constantly changing comp plans, turn and burn faster than a McDonalds, incompetent processors, underwriters that constantly need to be taught their job usually by LO's, structure of the company is forever in flux, I had 7 team leaders in 1 year and moved desks ... I don't know ... 30 times.

It's fitting that they moved into the former Borders building in Ann Arbor, another failed corporation that lost sight of their goals through greed, shady practices and complete and total mismanagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves.

Can't get out of their own way!

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Gold Star Mortgage full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people, I love who I worked with. Hours were consistent.

ConsEvery single day for the past 12+ months, I've felt that I could be fired at anytime for any reason. The person who posted the review on December 28th summed it up better than I could. Upper management has no idea what they are doing, doing your job is like banging your head against the wall. Einstein's definition of insanity is Gold Star's business plan. No advancement opportunities of any kind. High turnover due to lack of training and support. Nepotism/Favoritism galore. Blind eyes were turned to problems and laws being broken. This company will be out of business within a year. If not, they will be popped by some agency for something illegal on a loan. CEO is more concerned with his shoes, wardrobe, and writing his books than running his company properly. Get your loan elsewhere, chances are it will be with someone with talent who left Gold Star either willingly or unwillingly, either way you will be in better hands than with Gold Star.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat management? Only ones left are those who make six figures sitting in their offices or walking around doing nothing for 8 hours every day. At this point, you are beyond the advice stage, it's too late for the company, listen to the people who make your company go, and maybe you will be rewarded with such things as employee loyalty and success. The amount of talented individuals you have lost in the past 12 months is staggering, that's on the CEO and the incompetence of upper management.

Awesome Experience

I have been working at Gold Star Mortgage full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Support, will give anyone with a solid work ethic a chance, and try to help them get to a next level in their career

ConsSome fluctuations, but that is standard for anyone in the Mortgage Industry

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Glad I made the career change

I have been working at Gold Star Mortgage full-time for less than a year

ProsThere is a lot of energy and excitement most days in the office. We have a lot of fun and we make sure to support one another. I truly like to come into the office, there is a family feeling here that reminds me of college.

ConsCan be stressful sometimes. There are times where we have to bend over backwards for our clients, and they are still not happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementI like it when they make a conscious decision to make this a fun place to work. I really like activities that bring the entire company together.

Worked for Gold Star Mortgage? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gold Star Mortgage reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gold Star Mortgage CEO Daniel Milstein. All 35 reviews posted anonymously by Gold Star Mortgage employees.