Gold's Gym Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014
3.1

Aaron Watkins

Pros
  • free membership, could flex schedule with coworkers, wanted you to be customer service oriented (in 28 reviews)

• Flexible schedule and satisfaction in helping others in health and wellness (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Being on your own even at close of business, low pay, not a lot of organization (in 14 reviews)

• The upper management can be quite negative a lot of the time (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

12 years of working various locations and states as both Personal Trainer, Front Desk Agent, I was happy here. Respected

I worked at Gold's Gym full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Environment in Fitness, and your Team becomes Family. You all work hard together for a common result. A healthier America. While giving excellent customer service in all areas, Front Desk, Personal Training, Group Fitness, Sales, you all build each other up to succeed. Members stay, because they get the most and best service for a fair fee.

Cons

None. I was always happy to work here, no matter which state/city that I was hired.

They have really stepped up Staff Training to provide excellent Customer Service and Member Retention. Great job.

Operations Manager

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Gold's Gym full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

The pay is on the low end

Has a good community.

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO

I worked at Gold's Gym part-time (less than an year)

Pros

everything has its best stuff

Cons

time off because I am a student

be more understanding

Roller coaster ride! Never a dull moment and it truly depends if you look at the glass half full or half empty.

Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Gold's Gym full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Full time employees have access to top notch benefits, the overall culture and ability to grow with the company.

Cons

Upper management needs improvement in regards to hiring/choosing appropriate candidates. Work-life balance is difficult for salaried employees (ie - phone calls/texts/e-mails at 3 a.m).

To have more productive employees, management should consider respecting when an employee takes time-off the point is to let the employee recharge and take a break....hence the name PTO (paid time off - not paid time away from the gym but continue to work).

Great company

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Murrieta, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Murrieta, CA

I have been working at Gold's Gym part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment to work in!

Cons

Need a better tracking system for personal training commission please.

Long hours average pay

I have been working at Gold's Gym full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun fitness environment 50 to 60 per year, rewarding if you are motivated by the quick sale and small finically incentives.

Cons

Long hours no benefits. Didn't follow through on company policies with reviews or pay increases but want to hold employees to the policies that benefited ownership.

Get on the same page and start what you finish.

Typical Big Box Gym

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Gold's Gym part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, social interaction, satisfaction of potentially making an impact in people's lives.

Cons

Drama/Favoritism, early/late hours are common to meet session quotas, very little trainer/team support or development, trainer turnover, very hard to make more than $ 50000 a year, benefits are hard to get and maintain coverage.

More energy needs to go into developing the training team, creating separation from competitiors, new client and current client retention strategies....the list goes on.

Micro Management, Poor Upper management

Current Employee - Fitness Consultant in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Fitness Consultant in Plano, TX

I have been working at Gold's Gym full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Almost every member that comes in is a familiar, friendly face. You'll make friends quickly, and easily. If your coworkers are very fitness oriented, they're usually a pleasure to work with and have a very positive outlook on life. Most fit people do. And if you're really into fitness, you'll love that fact that you'll get a membership for free under gold's employment. Also, really great benefits if you're working full time. They're really big on making sure you get a break, and make sure to not work you over hours.

Cons

When I accepted this job, the position I was taking obviously wasn't clearly illustrated to me. I thought I accepted a job as a sales person, but the job ended up consisting of a lot of cold calling, outreach and promotion. Actually selling a membership consisted of about 5% of my work week. Instead of communicating with people about the gym, I spent most of my hours leaving voice mails. My manager spent more time breathing down my neck than he spent in his office, and I hated it. You had to document your every action and turn it in at the end of the day, and even if you spent your entire day trying your very best, it was never enough. You will be expected to make around a hundred calls a day (not joking), that will consistent of sixty voicemails, fourty angry people, and ten potential members. You'll be expected to use your own gas to drive around to local businesses and beg them to promote you, and people will steal your sales all the time. The commission you'll make from all this work is next to nothing, and you'll get a very low hourly rate (usually minimum wage). It's the most stressful job I've ever had, and I've never done so poorly in sales. WOMEN, BEWARE. Working here is a boys club. Women are left alone to do their job if you work in childcare. If you are in management or sales, be prepared to be compared, in all of the wrong ways. You will be harassed and disrespected by the members, and receive equally bad treatment from coworkers, just more descrete.

I was told that this company promotes from within, but time after time, I've seen people who have worked here for months or even years get denied a promotion opportunity (and were even promised the job), because the district manager wanted to hire someone else. Management is either way too relaxed or way too strict. They need to understand that they are hiring adults with expeirence that don't need to have their hand held or micro managed.

1.5 out of 5. Low pay, high stress, lack of organization, micromanaging and treated like a slave.

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gold's Gym part-time (less than an year)

Pros

+Free Gym Membership
    +Some nice coworkers
    +Clean Bathrooms

Cons

-If you are not a favorite, they will not help you get intros or any new clients. At all. Not a single one.
    -Which becomes a problem when they cut all your floor hours (time and minimum wage pay) to recruit new clients after the first two weeks.
    -Management is incredibly disorganized, which will put pressure on you to get things done at very short notice.
    -Sales manager is very fake. Great at being nice and fake to customers, but is rude towards coworkers and employees. Even yelled at people over the phone at another gym location.
    -Managers have been witness by employees and members yelling at each other. LOTS of ANGER AND FRUSTRATION going on.

My advice: Work at a different gym. You'll get paid higher and get treated with at least some decency and respect.

Become more organized and treat your employees as people, not your slaves. Being fake and only caring about your personal profit margins is not going to get you very far. There's a VERY HIGH TURNOVER rate at Gold's Gym for a reason. Another employee called it the "revolving door" concept. So many people coming in and immediately walking out. Create a better business plan because even though what you have may be profiting you, your employees walk away within the blink of an eye (witnessed it many times).

Fitness Instructor

I have been working at Gold's Gym

Pros

Free Membership (but dont really use it that much), free membership for 1 family member.
    Kids Klub use for instructors

Cons

Not very employee friendly, do not consider the impact on their employees when changing policies, Huge turnaround of GFManagers.

Consider the time of a class and the the amount of people using the gym at that time to determine if instructor needs to be changed or if its just time of the day. Eg. Peak time being 9am and the slow time in the middle of the day and also consider the amount of people in the gym just working out when the class is on.
    Pay your managers more and give them more control on running their gyms classes, you employed them because they know their club, they know the instructors, they know who is good.
    And change your snow policy, you will make more money and make people a lot happier.
    Happy employee, happy members who want to bring their friends, more money for the gym.
    Make us want to work to work for you!!

Gold's Gym Photos