Gold's Gym Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
252 reviews filtered by
3.2
Aaron Watkins

Pros
  • free membership, could flex schedule with coworkers, wanted you to be customer service oriented (in 29 reviews)

• Flexible schedule and satisfaction in helping others in health and wellness (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Being on your own even at close of business, low pay, not a lot of organization (in 16 reviews)

• Front desk personnel not personable or polite in acknowledging members as they entered the gym (in 11 reviews)

1. I loved working with the company. Great atmosphere!

I have been working at Gold's Gym

Pros

Loved my co workers.

Cons

No room for growth.

Worked under a great manager.

2. Front Desk Associate

I worked at Gold's Gym

Pros

pay, experience, people, free gym access

Cons

sometimes management, long shifts standing

3. Its great!

Current Employee - Group Fitness Instructor in Humble, TX
    Current Employee - Group Fitness Instructor in Humble, TX

I have been working at Gold's Gym

Pros

As a GGX instructor for me, its helping members with their weight loss goals and helping them stay motivated.

Cons

I cant think of any.

Listen to your members feedback

5. Gold's corporate HQ review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Gold's Gym

Pros

The Executive staff are a good group of men and women that are respected amongst the employees.

You will be challenged daily and must be an organized individual to handle the extreme volume of work. Bad attitudes and gossipers do not last at this company as the employee base is filled with hard workers who genuinely respect each other. So there is minimal drama and infighting which makes it an overall good place to work.

Cons

Parent company can be difficult and ties the hands of the executive team. Gold's Gym is treated as if it is below its sister companies.

No clear opportunity for advancement. There is a concern with the employees about a decline in the unique culture Gold's has and it's due to recent changes in HR to a more conservative team.

Even with these issues, the majority of staff make working there a pleasure. If management addresses the current issues, it won't take much to be an excellent place to work.

There should be some type of bonus structure for all employees (not just the higher level positions).

HR needs to work on appearing less partial to each other and more focused on the other employees.

Allow flex time or the ability to work from home. This would help some have a more balanced home life.

6. Working for Golds Gym was great!

I have been working at Gold's Gym

Pros

Great ownership and leadership fun place to be apart of. Adequate training for each position with a lot of opportunity to move up.

Cons

Some positions were a revolving door

7. Wonderful place to work!

I worked at Gold's Gym

Pros

People are friendly, members are happy. Employees are given support and training from the company. I would recommend this to someone looking for a great place to work.

Cons

If being in a corporate world is not your thing then this is not the place for you. Very corporate but well organized. Not easy to get time off when being an instructor. Days off equal no pay.

Compensate the group exercise dept better for all the training that is required. Take experience into account when deciding on salary.

8. Ridiculously low pay for what is expected.

Current Employee - Fitness Consultant
    Current Employee - Fitness Consultant

I have been working at Gold's Gym

Pros

Members are great people and most of the team members are awesome.

Cons

You have to really watch your back in sale . Even general manager will steal your sales if you don't check the sales reports every day.

Try a more honest approach when portraying the job and make sure you have more have nest people in GM position .

9. Working at Gold's Gym

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate

I have been working at Gold's Gym part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I'm looking to become a personal trainer, so it gives me good networking options allowing me to meet people already in the field and get their advice and insight.

Cons

Working the front desk doesn't give me the hands on experience that I'm looking for.

10. If you're truly passionate about fitness, stay away from this corporate machine.

Former Employee - Fitness Consultant in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Fitness Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Gold's Gym full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free membership
    Potential for significant earnings

Cons

Poor management which leads to gross inefficiency in the workplace; corporate offices seemingly need to be consulted for every minor task that needs tending in the gym. With that said nothing gets done, ever. In my gym there are major safety issues that members have brought up that are still not fixed. Management laughs it off and remarks, "they signed the waiver".
    With such high turnover, Gold's simply promotes those who have 'stuck it out' the longest. That clearly leads to under-qualified personnel entering management positions.
    If you're passionate about fitness, understand that Gold's is passionate about money. Be expected to try and sell something to everyone you see, even existing members.
    Ethical lines are blurred in the sales dept. You will be encouraged to test your own morals. Sell "by any means necessary" is the motto there.
    Management expects the sales associate to cover an entire spectrum of duties, far outside the specific job description. Several times you will find if you are the only FC on shift, you are the "manager". With that comes a lot of responsibility for low pay.
    As far as wages go, your commissions will be scrutinized heavily, so don't fool yourself into thinking you're going to be a millionaire working here in sales. The corporate office employs an entire staff dedicated to finding ways NOT to pay you your commissions, and they are VERY GOOD at this.

The lack of support from the corporate regional office creates such a low morale in the gym. You have to understand that your team may be working hard, despite not having the numbers to show. Creating a hostile environment because of low numbers is by no means a motivator. When your staff does well, praise them. Don't shrug it off by making a statement like "Why didn't you sell more?"

11. Great company for personal trainers

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Gold's Gym full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good environment. Less pressure to make sales. Constant improvement in the company. Easy to improve pay scale, just get more certs.

Cons

There is a lengthy hiring process, but that is what keeps the employee quality high. Things get a little crazy upstairs sometimes and itnis hard to figure things out.

Keep being awesome. Also hire more people