www.goldsgym.com

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
3.1

Aaron Watkins

Pros
  • free membership, could flex schedule with coworkers, wanted you to be customer service oriented (in 29 reviews)

• Flexible schedule and satisfaction in helping others in health and wellness (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Being on your own even at close of business, low pay, not a lot of organization (in 16 reviews)

• Front desk personnel not personable or polite in acknowledging members as they entered the gym (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible gym owner of Westboro Gold's made for a horrible work experience.

I worked at Gold's Gym

Pros

Pay was good until the new owner bought the gym and cut wages of all the hardest working employees because he wanted all the money for himself. Free gym membership.

Cons

Each gym is independently owned so they are all run differently. NOT what you would think since it is a franchise. The new owner was clueless and tried to cut membership costs in half to get more members, which caused all other franchise locations to take away the ability to use their gyms on one membership, causing friction and disenchantment. He also hired bar & club promoters to walk around wearing shirts that said "Personal Trainer" when they had no experience or certifications as such, just a ditzy look that was supposed to attract members (from his warped perspective).

Good team work between co-workers. Great opportunity for growth within the company and in the fitness industry.

I have been working at Gold's Gym full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment. Opportunity for growth within the company. Learning opportunities left and right with an overall focus on customer service.

Cons

Lack of consistency of policies and procedures over all other departments. Low pay for mngmt and overall in industry ,for all areas.

Great place to work out, not to work

Current Employee - Trainer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Trainer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Gold's Gym part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work out. Nice to be able to to work out right after getting of my shift. Good food selection and protein snacks available too.

Cons

Didn't get paid a lot of money.

12 years of working various locations and states as both Personal Trainer, Front Desk Agent, I was happy here. Respected

I worked at Gold's Gym full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Environment in Fitness, and your Team becomes Family. You all work hard together for a common result. A healthier America. While giving excellent customer service in all areas, Front Desk, Personal Training, Group Fitness, Sales, you all build each other up to succeed. Members stay, because they get the most and best service for a fair fee.

Cons

None. I was always happy to work here, no matter which state/city that I was hired.

They have really stepped up Staff Training to provide excellent Customer Service and Member Retention. Great job.

Still Owe Me Money

Former Employee - Training Manager in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Training Manager in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Gold's Gym full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You work at a gym.

Cons

I was asked to be a training manager there. After my two weeks of training and time for paychecks to come around the general manager informed me that you don't get paid for your first two weeks working there. I was made after 70 hours of working for free for some one. That was a waste of my life there. I told the GM when he told me that, that I quit. I learned that it's just not Gold's Gym, but the Wilmington, NC area in general feels they can take advantage of people.

Pay your people.

Operations Manager

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Gold's Gym full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

The pay is on the low end

Worst work environment I have ever experienced.

I worked at Gold's Gym

Pros

Met a lot of people in my community. Free membership if not already a member. Discounts on apparel.

Cons

Low Pay, Hours are terrible, Management and Corporate are the worst. They only worry about themselves. They will hire literally anyone. Very unprofessional

Treat your employees like you actually want them to work for you and stop lying to them. At the moment of hire tell the candidate exactly how it is. Do a drug test once in awhile. Be more professional.

Great facility run by poor management.

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Gilroy, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Gilroy, CA

I worked at Gold's Gym part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The facility is large with top of the line equipment. Good place to get your feet wet as a Personal Trainer, lots of traffic.

Cons

Management pits employees against each other, incredibly dysfunctional and disorginized to the point of being a hostile work environment. This gym is very focused on the bottom line and does not treat the employees well, so there is a huge turnover. Salaries are also below the industry standard.

The GM should be focused on better customer service and treating the employees with respect, paying employees according to industry standards to build employee loyalty. The clients DO NOT like such high turnover.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Gold's Gym part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Low stress
    -Hourly plus commission
    -Decent hours

Cons

-Cold calling
    -Sometimes boring
    -Not career oriented

Franchise was great - corporate golds is a step down

Former Employee - Gym Sales Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Gym Sales Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Gold's Gym full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

*benefits for full time management was great
    *flexible schedule
    *staff was great
    *pay for management was great

Cons

*its a corporate gym. nuff said
    *pay for trainers is pretty low - great for newly certified