Gold's Gym Reviews

Updated April 26, 2015
268 reviews filtered by

1. Fitness Consultant

I have been working at Gold's Gym

Pros

Free gym membership, 20% discount

Cons

Shady management, coworkers complain often

2. Front Desk Associate

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate

I worked at Gold's Gym part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff! Loved everyone I worked with

Cons

You have to deal with a lot of yelling because people don't read the contracts they sign. You don't get paid near enough for all the stuff you do.

3. I loved working with the company. Great atmosphere!

I have been working at Gold's Gym

Pros

Loved my co workers.

Cons

No room for growth.

Advice to Management

Worked under a great manager.

5. Different Kind of Vibe

I worked at Gold's Gym

Pros

Pros are going to be what you make of it.

Cons

This is a business that is growing and it is experiencing growing pains. The growth opportunities are based on the good ol boy system. If you are female and want a corner office, make sure you have no kids, no life and look good but not better than the people that can fire you.

6. Gossip. Back-stabbing. Lying.

I worked at Gold's Gym full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free membership into the gym and discounted supplements

Cons

1. Management is super shady! They lie about everything just to make themselves look good. They also lied about signing contracts over the phone for employees but one of the girls got fired for it but the GM lied about it.
    2. The GM has a serious gossip problem. She likes to stir up trouble. I believe she gets intimidated when pretty women work there.
    3. I heard one of the female personal trainers took a video of a member working out. she ended up bashing her on her social media. one of the employees had noticed it and took action because that is wrong to body shame someone. golds gym did NOTHING about it. that girl still works there.
    4. The upper eicholons obviously make a lot of money and you can tell that there is a HUGE OVERHEAD. we saw you, rolling in in your Cadillac or bmw, while we made out $7.25 an hour slaving away and dealing with stuff we Should be paid more for.
    5. ive had customers cuss at me and literally yell and scream at me and the management was part to blame. but the GM never wants to admit that they are wrong about anything.
    6. HR needs to handle their employees. they seem to tend to keep the drama and get rid of anyone that really is passionate about a healthy lifestyle.

I could go on but this place really upsets me.

Advice to Management

stop gossiping and be an adult.
    MANAGE means to delegate. not boss people around and sit on your throne.

7. Front Desk Associate

I worked at Gold's Gym

Pros

pay, experience, people, free gym access

Cons

sometimes management, long shifts standing

8. Great people, unfortunate owner.

Former Employee - Front Desk Sales Associate in Midlothian, VA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Sales Associate in Midlothian, VA

I worked at Gold's Gym part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work with great people and the work is pretty enjoyable. The managers you work directly for are all pretty great people.

Cons

The owner's right hand man is pretty unreasonable. If you don't meet the unrealistically high sales quota for the more expensive membership, you have to drive all the way to the main location (40mins for me) and sit through a redundant "sales class."
    They also have an unofficial No Raises policy and offer no commission for memberships sold.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation to the employees who make all your money.

9. Its great!

Current Employee - Group Fitness Instructor in Humble, TX
    Current Employee - Group Fitness Instructor in Humble, TX

I have been working at Gold's Gym

Pros

As a GGX instructor for me, its helping members with their weight loss goals and helping them stay motivated.

Cons

I cant think of any.

Advice to Management

Listen to your members feedback

10. Group Exercise Instructor

Former Employee - Group Exercise Instructor in Midlothian, VA
    Former Employee - Group Exercise Instructor in Midlothian, VA

I worked at Gold's Gym part-time

Pros

Free family membership, friendly members willing to put up with many issues, different locations within approximately 30 miles of each other, somewhat clean locker rooms

Cons

• Management stinks, my requests for simple things are not taken care of, example: I submitted a change of address that was NEVER done, so I never received my W-2.
    • no direct deposit (have to pick up check)
    • class rooms are dirty and stinky
    • stereo area disgusting and dusty
    • the microphones are nasty with sweat... they held high energy classes I. the Mind/Body room right before a Yoga class making the room undesirable for members.
    • having to put on a wet, stinky microphone gives concerns for possible illness.
    • there's no way to set the mood for a non-judge mental class due to large windows without shades to pull.
    • no instructor reviews

Advice to Management

• CLEAN the studios
    • add more microphones for sanitary reasons
    • enable direct deposit so employees don't have to drive to each Gold's they work at to pick up their check.
    •give feedback and raises to instructors

11. Gold's corporate HQ review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Gold's Gym

Pros

The Executive staff are a good group of men and women that are respected amongst the employees.

You will be challenged daily and must be an organized individual to handle the extreme volume of work. Bad attitudes and gossipers do not last at this company as the employee base is filled with hard workers who genuinely respect each other. So there is minimal drama and infighting which makes it an overall good place to work.

Cons

Parent company can be difficult and ties the hands of the executive team. Gold's Gym is treated as if it is below its sister companies.

No clear opportunity for advancement. There is a concern with the employees about a decline in the unique culture Gold's has and it's due to recent changes in HR to a more conservative team.

Even with these issues, the majority of staff make working there a pleasure. If management addresses the current issues, it won't take much to be an excellent place to work.

Advice to Management

There should be some type of bonus structure for all employees (not just the higher level positions).

HR needs to work on appearing less partial to each other and more focused on the other employees.

Allow flex time or the ability to work from home. This would help some have a more balanced home life.