Gold's Gym

www.goldsgym.com

Gold's Gym Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Aaron Watkins

Pros
  • free membership, could flex schedule with coworkers, wanted you to be customer service oriented (in 27 reviews)

• Free membership and flexible schedule (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Being on your own even at close of business, low pay, not a lot of organization (in 14 reviews)

• Front desk personnel not personable or polite in acknowledging members as they entered the gym (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good working environment

Kids Club Associate (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsFree Gym membership, great coworkers, able to take your own kids to work

Conslow pay, no room for advancement, part time hours, very high turnover rate, split shifts, management takes forever to order supplies for cleaning up, not enough activities for the kids to do, lots of broken toys, some of the kids club rules are unreasonable

Advice to Senior Managementif employees were paid a little more the turnover wouldnt be so high, make structural improvements, Lower membership fees

It's okay.

ProsThere is lots of flexibility.

ConsThere is very low pay.

No Hours, Bad Management

Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsNot really sure. My location wasn't that great, ended up shutting down. It was a relaxing job at front desk. No worries or goals.

ConsYou only get 1% commission, my GM talked it up. He didn't train, just sat in his office and expected us to know what to do. I barely got any hours, kept sticking me in kid's club. Gym ended up closing, wasn't making any money and the equipment didn't get taken care of.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your GM's don't just care about themselves, and they actually get things handled and completed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Subpar

Kids Club Associate (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

Prosfree membership, relax work environment

Conscan be boring. front desk doesnt give out the whole truth.

Advice to Senior Managementi worked at golds gym laburnum (richmond, va)pay your employees more. some front desk positions don't get commission. classes at the gym would end at 8:30 and kids club would close at 8 which is stupid. keep kids club open all day instead of split shifts from 9-1pm and 4-8pm. front desk doesnt give the whole truth about memberships because apparently its the customers job to read the warranty. management is incompetent.

It was ok.

Manager (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsGet a free gym membership, can be fun. Members where really nice and you get to meet a lot of interesting people while working. There are times when the days fly by which is great.

ConsLong hours, no benefits. Management doesn't give time off, off unless you are willing to not be paid for it. The owners of my franchise were very rude and insesitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a survey of your employees from time to time.

Good stuff

Front Desk (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGM was very flexible with giving days off. The job is very easy and the members are usually very nice.

ConsNot enough employees, makes it hard to call off in case of emergency.

golds

Health and Fitness Manager (Current Employee) Falls Church, VA

Proseasy to manipulate career path

Consgrowth within individual club is not likely

Nice place

Gym Sales Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMoney was pretty good usually

ConsNone at this very mome t

HORRIBLE.

Fitness Consultant (Former Employee)

Prosbuilding friendships with all the members and the free gym membership.

Consextremely underpaid, overworked, no recognition - all a numbers game. not worth the stress or money!

Advice to Senior Managementtry caring about your employees and the gym's individual demographics and realize each gym is not going to hit the same number each month.

Okay place to work

Personal Trainer (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL

Prosbest place to start your career is fitness for experience

Consvery low pay, no benefits, long work hours

Advice to Senior Managementpay more to good employees

Worked for Gold's Gym? Contribute to the Community!