Goldberg Companies

Updated June 16, 2014
Updated June 16, 2014
3.3

Larry Goldberg

Wonderful place to build a career

I have been working at Goldberg Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

I thoroughly enjoy my position and find the environment both friendly and engaging. The work is exciting and I appreciate the variety of duties. The management team is thoughtful and encouraging, and the employees are enthusiastic and hardworking. I'm glad to be with a healthy, stable company that empowers its people.

Cons

The traffic in the area is heavy and increases my drive time, so I'm not overly enthused about that considering the price of gas.

As long as you continue caring about your employees, the company will continue to be a success.

I was so excited for this community manager position, but my experience was bad.

Former Employee - Community Manager
    Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at Goldberg Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

I don't feel there were any pros in my time there.

Cons

More reports than there is time to do them.
    Letting good people go to not pay benefits (I was in this meeting)
    Extreme Micromanagement
    Treat you like a child
    Poor HR, and regional managers.
    Pay you lower than average.
    Unrealistic bonus that nobody ever achieves.

Management is the problem. There is a culture of cutthroat politics, this place was like game of thrones. Replace HR, Regional Managers, and the husband and wife team of VPs.

Leasing Consultant

I have been working at Goldberg Companies full-time

Pros

It is different every day

Cons

you feel like your at the bottom of the totem pole

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Job for the motivated and strong minded person

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Goldberg Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

great location
    discount on living/ beautiful apartment
    I have strong management at my property that is a pleasure to work for/with.
    plenty of personal time and PTO
    Easy to request a day off in advance
    Encourage independence and leadership
    Friendly corporate employees always willing to help
    IT department is great! They immediately help any situation.
    Corporate management always responds to emails. They are always giving input to the reports you send and daily activity. This is nice because you feel like what you do is recognized. Also, their input helps you learn and get better at your job.
    The new conversion to Web is not exactly smooth, but the creator of the program is always at your disposal for questions and help.
    Overall I think it is a supportive company. We have good benefits, 401K and stock options.
    You DO have the option to always improve and move up in the company.
    You have to have strong people skills to work here and be very patent. (Common sense is not always that common.)
    You must be organized and self motivated to be successful.
    GCI has a lot of locations and you can transfer properties if you need to be closer to home/school/ect.
    Good commission options. Different properties have different calculations, but you should always be able to pull in at least $500-$1000 in commission.
    The job has a lot of perks. You can work with vendors and get discounts on your cable, insurance, and gym memberships. You can also receive gas cards, giant eagle gift cards, loaded VISA card or free personal training.

Cons

Very slow HR department, and they don't always make the best decisions when hiring.
    They need to stop hiring completely incompetent people and then take over a year to let them go. (granted you only need a high-school diploma to be a leasing consultant, I still think our standers should be higher.) These people severely damage the property they work at both internally in the office dynamics and with the over all occupancy and sales statistics of the property. (they make us all look bad.)
    GCI also needs to promote within. Hiring older adults who have been out of the business for a while but still get the job based on the fact that they have "experience" is a mistake. These employees can not keep up with the demanding computer work and are constantly requiring help. *Then once you help this "experienced" employee, no credit is given back to you, instead they praise the wrong member for a job well done.
    GCI employees need better raises. (they tell you you are doing a fantastic job and then offer you a number that feels like a backhanded compliment.)
    No set schedule
    always working weekends
    You have to deal with a lot of needy prospect and residents so the job is mentally exhausting.
    You also have to deal with some employees who are huge "yes men." These people are very irritating to work with because they are inconstantly kissing up because they think it will get them someplace, but in reality GCI will take advantage of these people. The more you willingly take on and do without them asking, the more they will expect of you (with no added compensation.) You will end up just annoying all your co-workers and creating more work for yourself. **"Yes men" don't make good leaders/managers and Corporate knows that. They will not promote you to a higher position because they need a more dominate person in that role to deal with the demanding residents and corporate office scrutiny.

Create a suggestion box portal on the MY GCI website for review of policies and procedures. WE the people working at the properties will know best if certain procedure and policies are working well...let us tell you how things are going so we can make constant improvements and over all be the best.
    Create an anonymous complaint box. Most of the things that create a stressful work environment Corporate does not see (and sometimes onsite management does not see either.) Sometimes things are difficult or awkward to bring up, so an anonymous box could help this.
    HR needs to be more efficient.
    Work on giving more recognition to those that shine and compensate them accordingly. Now a days hard workers are not easy to come by, and they should be rewarded. (Maybe it will inspire others to work harder too.)

Bittersweet

Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Goldberg Companies

Pros

Upper management was always a pleasure to work with. Being a small company in the RDU area, they make you feel important

Cons

As with any company and job, sometimes the onsite "daily grind" management can be a little less professional than upper management would prefer.

GCI is a great company to work for overall. I would recommend an outlet for employees to anonymously voice their converns whether it's through the company website or some other avenue.

Good

Current Employee - Property Manager  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Goldberg Companies

Pros

Work life balance
    Great locations
    Pay for performance
    Great benefits
    Good pay
    Occupancy strong
    Welcoming culture
    Lots of days off

Cons

leadership
    Locations
    Poor pay
    Bad raises
    You have to live in Cleveland
    No garage parking
    Backward IT department
    Strange hours

Should pay more attention to the people at the bottom. Reward strong performers with better reaises. Expand property choices. Promote from within

Loyal and Hardworking? Don't look here!

I have been working at Goldberg Companies

Pros

There are many properties owned and operated by this company, so there are many positions available. There are a lot good people working for this company. The properties themselves are nice.

Cons

Ever hear the phrase..."Too many cooks in the kitchen" ...well, that is Goldberg Companies Inc. Too many people try to be "the boss" and when things go wrong, no one but the little guy is held accountable. The office politics are, in a word pathetic. It's almost like you're back in Jr. High School. If you aren't a "yes-man" you might as well not even bother. If you make the slightest ripple in the water you're on someones %$#* list. Upper management says that they're always available and there is an "open door" policy, but it's false. If you aren't upper management...you don' t have a voice.

The company needs to realize who the loyal and hard working employees are and at least give them some acknowledgment. They also need to stop coddling people who are incompetent just because they're afraid they'll sue them if they terminate their employment.

Worked for Goldberg Companies? Contribute to the Community!