Golden 1 Credit Union

Golden 1 Credit Union President and CEO Donna Bland

Donna Bland

Great culture and environment

Analyst (Lending) (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGreat people. Lots of ideas to help keep internal morale high. Community work is a great cause. Senior management has set new lofty long-term goals which is good to see.

ConsDue to security reasons, PC and network access is locked down. The tools needed to do the job are provided. In some cases, these tools are inadequate. You want to think outside the box for a creative solution...but you need approval for everything. Lack of financial incentive for employee involvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's good to see the vision for growth. I believe the CU will eventually reach those goals. Senior management would be doing themselves a favor if they peel back some of the bureaucratic layers and allow employees the flexibility to use what they need to not only get the job done but exceed the expectations. Throw in more financial incentives and you'll quickly find the innovators.

Do NOT work in Marketing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsOverall culture of the company is OK, but the senior management has to go.

ConsThe Marketing Department at Golden 1 imploded after senior management took steps to ensure its death by hiring an advertising agency. The result was a HUGE number of people leaving, extreme mismanagement and a closed culture. This is a toxic environment that may not get better until a huge overhaul of management or the communications style of the managers occurs.

Member Service Rep

Member Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsThey pay pretty fairly the lower level employees. Good benefits and incentives.

ConsDepending on your location it can be difficult to meet your monthly goals.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inside The Golden 1 Credit Union

Branch Sales Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCompetitive benefits and solid training at lower levels. Credit Union members are the best.

ConsVery slow and outdates processes. High sales and marketing expectations in a very competitive region. Branch management salaries are low and not competitive. Unimpressive retention levels except in top positions. Too many ineffective and unnecessary middle managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake overall support for branch sales managers a priority.

Best Employer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsEmployee friendly company to work for. Nothing but good to say.

ConsNone I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up your great efforts!

They are good but a little behind the times with processes.

Branch Operations Manager (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsGood work/life balance. Low stress.

ConsSmall company; little room for advancement and/or mobility.

It's a great company to work for

Member Service Representative II (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt's better to work for a credit union because of the non-stress environment they provide to you. Great hours, compensation and environment.

ConsSome of the goals from other slow branches are high.

Great place to work but no loyalty

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsThe People you work with are great.

ConsManagement changes directions and then takes forever to put in motion. Big Ship moves slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't trust Senior Management. Teresa Halleck is no longer there and they promote the CFO Donna Bland and she needs to know who to listen too before she makes decisions.

Overall a employee friendly environment

Call Center Representative (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsBilingual Incentive and many amenities at the corporate building. PTO for employees who do not miss a day of work on a monthly basis.

ConsIt may take a while to get promoted or move in a different department.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees do know what they are talking about. We are not here to challenge your knowledge but help and give our own input.

Great place to work.

Member Service Representative II (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsVery stable place to work, even in today's tough times lay-offs are the last thing they are thinking about. Pay more than a Wells Fargo or BOFA at the teller level.

ConsWhen left they were moving from a customer service focus to more of sales, not sure how things are now. Slow promotional growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould like to see more incentives for sales. It is tough to get your employees in a sales mindset if they don't see the true benefits of it.

Worked for Golden 1 Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!