Golden Corral

Updated January 26, 2015
2.5

Golden Corral President and CEO Ted Fowler
Ted Fowler

Pros
  • Occasionally they gave you free food (in 9 reviews)

• Have a lot of fun meeting new people and ensuring a good experience (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Working long long hours, little time for quality of life (in 7 reviews)

• managers are bad, work a lot of hrs no breaks (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Mostly Positive

Former Employee - Cashier in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Golden Corral part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great teamwork, Positive Environment, Fast-Paced, and Fun.

Cons

Some people don't take it seriously enough

Hire people for their intelligence and work ethic rather than just their smile...

it's okay

Current Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I have been working at Golden Corral part-time (less than a year)

Pros

can't think of any really

Cons

pay and people can be a pain

Don't be so lazy

Decent place if you only have little experience and are willing to suck it up

Former Employee - Manager in Anderson, SC
    Former Employee - Manager in Anderson, SC

I worked at Golden Corral full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

• complimentary meal during work or off as a manager within franchise group
    • great choices of food
    • not a fast food
    • if you were an awesome kitchen staff, you could get raises until you were getting paid commensurate to line cooks at various full-service restaurants. $10-15/hr. But you had to really perform unparalleled level of excellence. I had 4 people that were making $38k as a hourly emp. Awesome

Cons

• zero room for advancement, you stay as a manager unless you get to be a GM, That's it.
    • punishing hours: I was told to work 5-12 hrs a day but that was minimum. It was standard practice to only get one day off or work open to close (7:30-11/12pm)
    • we used to measure the capability of a manager by how many position he/she can work and close: I used to close :salad bar, front line, help with bakery and hot bar.
    • most pay you measly base salary of $28000/yr and rest is made up by monthly/period bonus off of controllable products on P&L, generally came out to a little less or equivalent to base salary.
    • you were on call even on your days off
    • zero quality of life. Minimum 12 hr day means, you work 14 in reality.
    • we used to hire tons of illegal Hispanics but that is becoming difficult with E-verify.
    • GM truly made the business. I've worked with one whom would truly do right by everyone. I've also worked for one that would pregnate servers, purposely short orders to run only low costing food on the bar etc but he was a golfing buddy with the franchise owner, "untouchable".
    • corporate Golden Corral in Raleigh, NC had slowly been losing touch. They continue to drive high cost items that do not translate to foot traffic while forcing pricy remodels. Franchises actually had a meeting boycotting Corporate last year or so to get them to understand daily operations.
    • it's a physical and demanding "manhandling-the-business style job" not your Olive Garden or Other Casual restaurants. Be ready not to see your family.
    • lack of benefits: some franchises make you get your own and cut you a heck for 50%-75% of premium for it. Obviously there are no dental, vision, sick days, personal days, paid leave, stock options or 401K. It is almost like working a part time hourly job with Affordable Care Act.
    • most of these are franchised, you will rarely see a corporate operated restaurant.

While you destroyed Ryana' you have let that lead to complacency.
    Irrelevant corporate menu and programs without much marketing support has increased the operating costs which only hurts that work the restaurants daily. Tighter labor/productivity goal will only lead to more frustration.
    PR is also tricky, it had become a symbol of typical Americal Oppulancy with mediocre offerings. I am not sure how to change that without significant change to business model

Good Coworkers, poor benefits.

Current Employee - Crew Member/Grill Cook in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Crew Member/Grill Cook in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Golden Corral

Pros

The people are nice to work with and it is a very relaxed environment. most often

Cons

To much pressure when internal CSQ (cleanliness, service and quality) pays a visit. Leads to managers cheating their way out of a bad score instead of actually doing things right

managers are overworked

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Golden Corral full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

corporate sponsored education. Training salary is the top salary you make while employed. After that, its downhill hill from there.

Cons

managers overworked, pay reduced to base +comm incentives that you can never make. Pay scale made to their favor. Lots of assistant management turnover due to unfair upper management exploitive practices.

put more energy in managers and co workers than the bottom line figure. The more you squeeze the more you loose out on good top management. The slave days are over.

Employee

I have been working at Golden Corral

Pros

Good food great employees gets a little busy but the time goes by fast before u know it it's time to clock out

Cons

For what the employee's do on a daily bases they should be getting paid more then what they do

Nothing special

Current Employee - Cashier in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Golden Corral part-time (more than a year)

Pros

free food
    flexible schedule
    friendly workers
    generous breaks sometimes

Cons

rude customers
    no raises
    ignorant manager
    low pay for the work you do

Current Server w/ over a year at the store

Current Employee - Server, Some Bakery in Vandalia, OH
    Current Employee - Server, Some Bakery in Vandalia, OH

I have been working at Golden Corral part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Golden Corral customers are for the most part are a wonderful crowd. I have numerous regulars whom I look forward to seeing. I value that the food is made fresh every day and customer satisfaction is very important.

Cons

Employees are expected to work many long nights cleaning and if u do not offer your services for the extras u will not get shifts,particularly servers. Side work is not rolling silverware but cleaning bathrooms (every night)and bleaching walls. Servers also have to clean all windows and window seals, dust and wash light fixtures, clean table chairs top to bottom, turn tables onto their tops and scrub the undertable and table legs.Add a perfectly clean section (napkins,sugars,sweatners, salt n pepper,fill mapkin dispensers and clean every condiment bottle top every shift,cleaning of dust pans,taking out trash,scrubbing all front walls of buffet,sweeping entire store,washing of buffet windows,cleaning 2 or more high chairs,and stocking all needs for opening staff.
    Raises are not possible as the stores pinches their pennies. Management is not responsive to personal or professional needs of employees. I have however encountered managers that do have a heart, they are few. Employees are not encouraged teamwork but rather a bite or be bitten attitude is expressed by management who feed into the store gossip. Do not even Consider calling off without a doctor's note,u will be written up for this and many other issues regarding work, customer and staff relations as well as co workers whom will set you up for failure.....Am I bitter,not really It just takes a very specific personality to be happy here. It is a job and u do get paid,if u are patient,even tempered and will to give 120% then its for u. Like I said I've been here awhile and even. With all the cons I am comfortable in my position because for the most part I know what to expect and what is expected of me to satisfy management.....which is no easy task.

Invest in training employees rather than throwing them in cold. Pat someone on the back occasionally. Have realistic expectations. Hire locals. Don't feed into employee gossip,it is just that. Buy 2ply toilet paper. Hire someone to sanitize bathrooms. Only expect an individual to do a job that you yourself would be able to do yourself......try not to make your employees feel like they are not worthy or falling short because your expectations are simply impossible .....impossible to meet. There is nothing easy about the restaurant business but your employees are only human and I believe given the opportunity to have some breathing room turnover would decrease and teamwork could be established. There are a number of really good people that work for you, take a moment to notice us.

Paid the bills

Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant Manager

I worked at Golden Corral full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great gm
    pay good but worked you to death
    Good benefits for education
    Adequate insurance for managers, lousy for coworkers
    Enjoyed working with the staff (non management)

Cons

District manager was a jerk always money hungry
    Company as a whole only saw everyone as an expense
    DM was a tightwad when it came to giving raises. Took as many as 3 months to get a 25 cent raise.
    The upper management tried to undermine you when you tried to do the right thing ethically when disciplining a coworker. Made you do all their work while they tried to get the credit when it was good and when it was bad they blamed you
    TOO MUCH DRAMA EVEN IN MANAGEMENT was worse than 5 year olds fighting in a sand box

Care for your employees after all they are the ones who out the money in your coffers
    Plus treat your staff with dignity and respect...it goes a long way
    Quit trying to cut costs by cutting labor and burdening the rest of the staff
    Take care your staff

Worst Company EVER.

Current Employee - Cashier in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Golden Corral

Pros

Pros? There are none. Absolutely zip.

Cons

You will NEVER get a raise no matter how many times you ask for one, you don't get hours, you work like a slave for $9 (now) an hour, managers scream at you in front of the customers, they put out old food, they drop it on the floor and pick it back up and serve it to customers, list goes on. They are just aweful.

Be more considerate of your workers that slave away to make you money because THEY are the reason you guys are still in business.

Golden Corral Photos