Golden Gate University

Updated December 7, 2014
Updated December 7, 2014
3.2

Dan Angel

student assistant for the school

I worked at Golden Gate University

Pros

you have time to do your homework

Cons

it only for parttime job

It wasn't as good as it used to be.

I have been working at Golden Gate University

Pros

It's a university, working here will be like a breeze.
    Great colleagues.
    Located at downtown San Francisco.
    Pretty new workplace.

Cons

Not enough work benefits.
    Every one is doing job just for the sake of doing this.
    Everybody will say they love their job but they are only in it for the money.
    Condescending management.
    Everyone is leaving before the ship went down.
    High turnover rate.

Don't be little your employees. Appreciate them. Treat employees right. Your title/position in the company doesn't mean you are better person than the others. Invest in your employees rather than getting new employees to save money with their lower salary.

These changes are negative

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Golden Gate University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like a lot of the people. I have a supportive and caring supervisor who is hardworking and passionate. My coworkers are great and care a lot.

Cons

People are dropping like flies. Everyone is leaving and if they haven't left, they're looking...I am. HR is lazy and lack HR degrees. They don't grant any exceptions for tuition being taxable and because tuition is so high, those taxes can financially break an employee. I came from another university and with my title increase came a pay cut including increased commuting costs. Lack of benefits, low pay, low employee morale, struggling IT department (which affects us all), failure of administration to acknowledge low morale and feedback.

Listen to your staff...whether it's on space requests, responsibilities of staff (quit emailing a boss, remember an individual), quit playing favorites. Also, the law school is not better than the business school...though it certainly feels that way.

professor

I have been working at Golden Gate University as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

they don't care about international student graduate ,they take there money and let them go with no guides.
    you spend thousand of dollars to get your degree , at the end no job for you.

Cons

low salary,bad management ,very expensive

hire better staff

Sad place to work

Current Employee - Associate Professor of Law in Orinda, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Professor of Law in Orinda, CA

I have been working at Golden Gate University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People are pleasant and make an effort to be social.

Cons

The facilities are an embarrassment: dark, cramped, with the feel of an archaic government building. Compensation is a joke. A few appear to be professional in appearance, but most seem to think this is a place for pajamas and lack of bathing. It is shocking to believe this is an academic organization focused upon the business community.

Hire executives with presence and professionalism that will attract the student base and academia you need.

Change is like a four letter word.

I have been working at Golden Gate University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work in Education. Most people seem committed to making this a great University. The staff is older and experience has its virtue. Adjunct Faculty are working in the field and this is a great benefit. Employees receive a discount on their education.

Cons

Afraid of Change and evolving. Not enough diversity in Senior Management and faculty. HR department is non existent. No room for advancement. Implement systems without support.

Grow, evolve and change. Embrace diversity and technology.

Higher education institution.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Golden Gate University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Benefits are probably not the best but still are good. Also, as an employee you get tuition benefits.

Cons

Salaries are low compare to other institutions. If you are thinking to advance in your career than definitely this is not a place for you as they almost never promote from within. Be careful as you get older because you will be the first on the list to get laid off if there will be restructuring.

Please appreciate your hard working employees, not those who know to talk only but not do much. So, open your eyes and see through.

Low Salaries across the company

I worked at Golden Gate University

Pros

Laid back, very little pressure

Cons

Low salary, no perks, boring

Think of ways to retain good people

A sinking ship....

Current Employee - Assistant Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Golden Gate University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

GGU is a warm, hospitable, and supportive work environment. Employees are close knit, kind, friendly, and downright amazing. Most everyone is open hearted and quite humble. The staff is truly the glue keeping the university afloat...

Cons

Golden Gate University used to be an innovative and competitive force on the market. Unfortunately they have fallen so far behind the pack that it is uncertain that they will make it to the finish line. Budgetary deficits are creating serious gaps within the infrastructure and increasing the work load exponentially for staff. Most individuals are doing the work of 2-4 people on a daily basis. Employees are dropping like flies as the management attempts to clean house and some of their best talent has abandoned ship. When you add the instability of the university along with the poor pay and expensive benefits you have the makings of disaster. Employees feel undervalued and overworked. Most are fielding job offers, applying for new jobs, updating their resumes, and attempting to find a life preserver should the boat go down.

Value your employees. Pay your employees. what they are worth. Recognize they're hard work and dedication to the institution. The employees are vital to the success of Golden Gate University.

Good luck paying your mortgage or supporting a family

Former Employee - Assistant Director of International Admissions and Advising in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Golden Gate University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, faculty and staff are friendly, helpful and diverse. Very little micro-management and because they are not a for profit institution, GGU does not run their admissions like a puppy mill. They strive for retention, not just getting the students in the door for money. They help pay for your education, too. Good place to work if you are young and single and live in the city (not that you will be able to afford to off their salary).

Cons

Little chance of advancement unless your are one of the "new favorites". The pay is horrible - especially for being a university that is in the heart of san francisco. Many of the staff work hard to get their education their but when they finish, it is not rewarded. For example, if you get your Masters degree, you will still be making a salary only around 45k if you are lucky. Benefits are only ok. When I worked there, to get BASIC Kaiser benefits, it was costing me over 500 a month.
    Hours were horrible. I didn't get off work until after 6:30 and if you have a commute, this is awful - especially if you have kids. I wouldn't get home to my little ones until almost 8pm.

Pay your staff and faculty what they are worth. We appreciate the raises but 3% on 45k a year don't help. This is the Bay Area, not Nebraska. Value your staff more. They work hard, are on the front lines and deserve credit and a chance for advancement. Stop playing favorites and give more people a chance.

Golden Gate University Photos

Main entrance
Front view of the building

+ Add Photo