Golden Living

Updated July 14, 2014
Updated July 14, 2014

2.5

Neil Kurtz, M.D

Pros
  • They have great benefits, they are there to help you and to listen to you (in 3 reviews)

• There is absolutely nothing good to say about this place (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises and benefits shrinking (in 5 reviews)

• Absolutely ZERO work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Rewarding place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR

Pros

People, people, people! Working in a support staff role, I work with some amazing people who care about the work they do.
    It is rewarding to support our front line caregivers everyday.

Cons

Career Growth, Communication, Recognition, Constant reorganization.

Be open and honest with your employees, even if the path is not clear. We appreciate honesty. We'll actually work harder for you.
    Celebrate success!

Not a good place to work.

Former Employee - Medical Billing A/R Specialist  in  Fort Smith, AR
    Former Employee - Medical Billing A/R Specialist in Fort Smith, AR

Pros

They do have a good bonus program, but you must be on the right team in order to get it. If you're lucky enough to be on the team that has the easy collections (and there is a BIG difference) you will be compensated well.

Cons

No opportunity for growth unless you kiss up to management. Brains and aptitude gets you nothing here. It's all about who you know and who you kiss up to.

Very challenging and interesting industry

Former Employee - Recruiter  in  Fort Smith, AR
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Fort Smith, AR

Pros

The pay is really good for the area

Cons

It is a corporation... You are more an employee than an asset

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience with this company has been excellent.

Current Employee - Technical Writer  in  Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Fort Smith, AR

Pros

I have been impressed with the great employees/coworkers, the excellent facility with full service dining center and the community involvement with United Way and The Alzheimer's Association.

Cons

I do think the pay and the benefits package could be improved,

If I could give one piece of advice, it would be to do more planning on roll out projects. Give employees the time to do their jobs properly without making them crazy with unrealistic project deadlines.

Like working in Hell

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR

Pros

All the Pro's have been removed

Cons

Don't expect promotion or raises if you actually do your job, those are reserved for the less knowlegable and people that don't pose a threat to someone else's position

Use the talent you have available to you, middle management is too worried that someone is going to be noticed and put their jobs in jeopardy.

Unclear expectations.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR

Pros

Benefits standard except recent loss of sick benefit.

Cons

Cannot count on getting raises or bonuses. Can count on employee cost of benefits rising year to year.

Communicate more frequently and effectively with the employees. Set out expectations clearly.

One of the only professional places to work in a largely manufacturing town

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Fort Smith, AR
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Fort Smith, AR

Pros

Beautiful building and landscaping. They have a full-time chef and restaurant quality kitchen (cater to general public, for instance). Full service printing center with great prices and friendly staff. Nice gym for employees, but towels are not provided. One of my favorite people was in charge of security (he had retired from a banking career). Another real plus is their 401K program. They match with cash (not stocks). While I was there, it was generous.

Cons

Since it is one of the only professional places to work in a largely manufacturing town, everyone wants to work there. I"d say your experience depends on the business line and the area you land. Always ask why a position is being filled....always. The long-time employees are often bitter that newer employees (I came in 2007) with the same job titles get paid much more. This sets up a terrible dynamic when inevitably salary information is shared among coworkers. In my case, my direct report shared my salary information with someone who had been there at the inception of the business line. Didn't make for a great working relationship. Also, since it's one of the few places to work, people stay. There is a definite bias against outsiders. An outsider being someone who did not grow up in Fort Smith. My former boss admitted listening to Rush Limbaugh every day like that would totally not offend a female underling. The place is an ultra conservative, Republican haven. If you are exactly like them politically and religiously, things will go better for you.

If you believe that people leave managers not companies, then you'll want to read on. I was brought in under a manager who people had had enough of after only a few hours...yes, they just walked out. I found out later, others in the larger department were making bets on how long I'd last and did the same with the hire right before me. I lasted over three years (I left of my own accord), she's still there but is miserable under the replacement manager. He's incompetent and relies on the team member who has been there nearly 20 years. I had the worst managers I ever had in my working life (30+ years counting when I was a teenager).

Work/Life balance. Again this depends on the area. In mine, there was no such thing as a 40 hr work week, try 50 - 60. My last full year there, I worked every holiday and many weekends. Stress levels are high but do not have to be....poor management's planning creates artificial stress. From what I observed, the main issue was they expect a very few people to wear every single hat. No specialization. Job requirements ran shallow and wide, no depth or job satisfaction.

Because someone has a certain set of skills (technical, sales, etc) and has been very successful in applying them, does not make them good managers or even management material. I'd see about having a company wide effort to identify potential leaders. Then mentor them. Have every employee take a Birkman assessment (or similar test). It identifies problem areas to look for and could keep teams balanced in terms of personalities and work styles.

Because there is limited opportunities in the Fort Smith area, Golden Living is one of the better places to work.

Former Employee - Staff Accountant  in  Fort Smith, AR
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Fort Smith, AR

Pros

Nice facility, flex time and compress work week available.

Cons

The experience you have at Golden Living corporate office is totally dependent on the senior director you work under. Everything from wages, promotions to the culture of the department is depends on who your senior director is.

Corporate Headache

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR

Pros

The area has a relatively low cost of living. The people are pretty laid back. Nice building with a decent fitness center and dining center.

Cons

The company was a publicly held company. It was bought by an investment firm, and is now privately held. Changes in management have happened, and current management seems to not know how they want to run the business. Several large projects have been undertaken at the same time. Little to no new staff were hired for support of the projects and systems. Talented people continue to leave.

Wake up and listen to some of the people at the bottom of the ladder... the people who actually know how to get things in the company done.

Worked for Golden Living? Contribute to the Community!