Golden State Overnight Reviews

Morley Chandler

1. Just OK

Former Employee - Driver in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Driver in Reno, NV

I worked at Golden State Overnight part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was a job. Working with most of the other employees was alright, nothing special.

Cons

Management, lots of micro managing. No benefits unless you live in CA at least what the did offer to NV employees was not affordable if you have a family. Lots of promises of advancement but that is it just empty promises. Manager will do everything to just keep you working so you wont look anywhere else.

Be real and for actual management to come out and meet the troops, they are the ones who keep you working. Trust employees to do the right thing if they don't then correct the problems.

2. Business model of; How not to run a business.

Former Employee - Driver in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Driver in Irvine, CA

I worked at Golden State Overnight

Pros

Better than a soup line I guess. Only vehicle that will stand up to the task is a Subaru.

Cons

Working here will perpetually destroy your vehicle, the more you deliver, the more weight/packages they give you, it escalates to the point of having to drive an unsafe overweight vehicle. It is impossible to deliver at the rate they demand, in a safe manner, and follow the law regarding lunch breaks. Employees brought a class action and won. Nothing has changed operationally though. If you do work enough hours to make a living, your car will be in the shop on your off time, and you will not have any time for your family life.

How do you advise the "tone deaf"?

3. Company that does not care about its employees

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Golden State Overnight full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good for a call center and they will work around your school. They offer part time, open until 8:00 pm and Saturdays. If you can type it is pretty easy to get a job.

Cons

They don't care about their employees at all. They just want you to show up and sit in your chair and take as many calls as possible. There are no rewards and no incentives. Supervisors don't stay around long. Reps don't last long either.

If you treat people better you will have happier employees. no one likes to be yelled at and calling people in to talk about how much time they spend in the bathroom is not good for morale.

5. Most of the people are nice, but not management.

I worked at Golden State Overnight full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Willing to work with you on possible shifts.

Cons

Business run like a mom & pop business. Company drivers are not held accountable when mistakes are made. Management not very pleasant to employees.

Learn to treat employees with alittle more respect. Employees at this company are expendable.

6. Top down, siloed management prevents this both the company and employees from growing and moving forward.

I worked at Golden State Overnight full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The rank and file employees are generally friendly and courteous.

Cons

The company's concept of compensation and benefits is down right stingy - out of touch with the cost of living in the Bay Area.
    The atmosphere is top down & siloed with an unnecessary formalness to every communication. This atmosphere doesn't allow for any sense of team building.

The executive staff would benefit from training in contemporary communication and leadership - open their minds to the wealth of information available from within their own ranks. Encouraging and rewarding stake holder behavior would not only boost morale, it would provide problem solving insights to move the company forward.

Great courier company

Former Contractor - Company Driver in Santa Fe Springs, CA
    Former Contractor - Company Driver in Santa Fe Springs, CA

I worked at Golden State Overnight as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Always has openings for drivers who need work

Cons

Use of own vehicle which can take much on maintenance

Share in maintenance costs of drivers using their own vehicles

Very enjoyable

I worked at Golden State Overnight

Pros

Good work enviroment and excellent stall

Cons

Spent alot of money on gas

Amazed how this company stays in business.

Current Employee - Customer Service
    Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at Golden State Overnight

Pros

Position pays more than minimum wage, provides an easy door in the world of the courier service, and may appeal to the college student who needs a flexible shift.

Cons

Company is struggling financially and signs of it are all over the office. From using the excuse to 'go green' by not providing re-usable eating utensils to working with outdated computer systems, programs, work manuals and procedures, the work atmosphere screams 'buy me out or put us out of our misery' to all other competitors. Instead of investing in a proprietary system, company uses e-mail to communicate so every time I come to work, I have over 100 emails to surf through. Ridiculous. Important messages from management often get overlooked by the department because they get lost in many messages. Health benefits are slowly disappearing as they no longer offer dental coverage and the management support is next to none. There is never a single manager available when you need one and when they are available, they huff and puff because they are overworked. The company hires drivers all the time who speak little to no english which is poor for courier-to-customer interaction and makes it impossible for them to read package instructions. My boss only had 2 weeks of training before being put out on the floor to manage employees and this person is constantly confirming my suspicions to me....the place is an oddity.

Company needs to find a better way to educate their employees and provide them with better up-to-date tools, procedures and support.

great place to get your feet wet

I have been working at Golden State Overnight

Pros

small company and growing, a place to learn a lot on your own and experiment, you need a job you'll get one

Cons

low pay, no mentorship, needs more standards and structure, take better care of current employees